Malabar Jr. by Cap'n'Bob - small - 1:48 - 30' gaff rigged yawl - Finished

Anya,

You have seen it here on MSW but usually it is not named.  Make a solid hull and remove the thickness of the planking and sometimes the thickness of the frames, what is left is what is referred to as a plug.  Now you lay the planks, or frames and planks over the plug.  When you remove the plug you are left with just the hull.  If you planked the plug without the frames, you now have to add the frames to the inside.  You frequently see this on small round bottom boats like ships boats or gun boats.

Bob

Every build is a learning experience.

Current build:  SS_ Mariefred

Completed builds:  US Coast Guard Pequot   Friendship-sloop,  Schooner Lettie-G.-Howard,   Spray,   Grand-Banks-dory

a gaff rigged yawl,  HOGA (YT-146),  Int'l Dragon Class II,   Two Edwardian Launches 

In the Gallery:   Catboat,   International-Dragon-Class,   Spray

• 2 weeks later...

WOW!   I was beginning to think that I would never get to build this lovely little yawl.  Ah retirement, you have no demands on your time and can do whatever you want whenever you want.  Yah, right.

Anyway, I finally got started.  I bought a set of steady plans which gave me the lines, sail plan and brief construction plans.  Using DraftSight I traced the station lines into the computer then offset for the planking and the frames.  I printed what was left onto label stack and stuck that to some 1/16” basswood.  After cutting them out they were glued to balsa blocks that were cut to the station spacing.  Everything was then glued to a building board.  Cross pieces of scrap wood were glued to each station at the sheer line as a locater for the sheer strake.   That’s where It is now.  Hopefully more soon,

Bob

post-513-0-18836600-1370545109_thumb.jpg

post-513-0-08596900-1370545120_thumb.jpg

Completed builds:  US Coast Guard Pequot   Friendship-sloop,  Schooner Lettie-G.-Howard,   Spray,   Grand-Banks-dory

a gaff rigged yawl,  HOGA (YT-146),  Int'l Dragon Class II,   Two Edwardian Launches 

looking good there....Bob!   very interesting way to make a hull ;)

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

Waiting for the next step.......

Michael

Current builds  Bristol Pilot Cutter 1:8;      Skipjack 19 foot Launch 1:8;       Herreshoff Buzzards Bay 14 1:8

Other projects  Pilot Cutter 1:500 ;   Maria, 1:2  Now just a memory    

Future model Gill Smith Catboat Pauline 1:8

Finished projects  A Bassett Lowke steamship Albertic 1:100  

Anything you can imagine is possible, when you put your mind to it.

Wayne, John, Popeye, Michael, Tarbrush,

I'm with you guys.  Can't wait to see  what happens next.  Sometimes my Ideas work, sometimes I start over.  Ah, The excitement is just too much. 

Bob

that's the spirit! :)

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

Last month a friend gave me some wood that had been left over from a boat kit. He had picked up the wood at a yard sale for ten cents for the whole batch.  Among this wood was a bundle of 0.5 X 5.0 X 500 mm strips.  The grain went all over the place but I decided to see if I could use it.  I had allowed 0.063” for the frames and 0.032” for the planking so if I laminated three layers of wood for the frame and double planked with this same wood over that, after sanding it should be close.

So here is my start.  I cut enough pieces for the frames 2.5” long and then split them in thirds.  I threw away about 1/4 of these pieces, because the wood split when I was cutting.  (This is the kind of wood that drove me to the dark side.)  After soaking in water I bent them onto the strongback  and glued between the layers. After drying the frames I have made so far seem to be good.

More later as the build goes on. 

Bob

post-513-0-55593500-1370892545_thumb.jpg

post-513-0-74676200-1370892553_thumb.jpg

“NO!  NO!  NO!”  I yell as I beat myself around the head and shoulders.  “You %@#&%#”.   Oops pardon my language I shouldn’t say things like that on this forum, but I’m angry with myself.  I just found a major error that is forcing me to go back to the drawing board and start over.  Right now I feel the dark side is very dark. 

As I was faring the frames I discovered that either # 4 is too large or #'s 2 & 3 are too small. You can see it in the pictures.  Why I didn’t see it sooner ?  ?  ?  So now it’s go back to the original line drawings and find where I went wrong, throw away bad parts, make new parts. . .  Ah, well at least now I have experience in this new, for me, method I’m using. 

Thanks for letting me vent.  I feel better now.

Bob

post-513-0-56000100-1371055799_thumb.jpg

post-513-0-52675000-1371055812_thumb.jpg

Hello Bob,

That's a really big mishap for you, so for once you are excused for your 174.gif.

I'm sorry you have to start over again. I hope you will find where you went wrong and correct it.

But I'm confident you will.

Good luck and I'm glad you feel better now.

Anja

Those we loved but lost are no longer where they were, but are always where we are.

In the gallery: Albatros 1840 - Constructo

Bob,

Swear; walk away for a while; have a cool beer and then back into it! ;)

The Dark Side demands its sacrifices at times - especially whan you're doing all the design work yourself - but the final model is always worth all the pain!!

John

2 and 3 look like suspects to my eye.

Michael

Current builds  Bristol Pilot Cutter 1:8;      Skipjack 19 foot Launch 1:8;       Herreshoff Buzzards Bay 14 1:8

Anja, John, Thanks for the encouragement.

Michael, That's sure what it looks like and I was hoping, but when I went are back to the original line drawings it turned out 1, 2 and 3 are correct and all the others are oversize.  What was that about "measure twice, cut once". I must have missed that part.  Ah well, as John said "The Dark Side demands its sacrifices" ,I've started over before and I can do it again.  :blush: Sigh.

Bob

Bob,

I've just logged in since I don't know when last I visited. Seems ages ago. Glad you took her off the drawing board onto the wood. Be glad you didn't start it as a plug ... Now you only need to 'down size' the oversized bulkheads ...

It will keep you and your tools sharp ;)

Carl

"Desperate affairs require desperate measures." Lord Nelson
Search and you might find a log ...

Carl,  Glad you stopped by.  I'm also glad I din not go with a plug.

Bob

So here's what I did starting over.

I took everything apart and after resizing the molds I decided to bend and dry the frames on the flat.  It turned out to be a lot easier than when they were on the building board.  Once again I cut the veneer into 1/16” strips and soaked them overnight.  I bent three together and held them with pins.  After they dry I will sand them and glue on the floor timbers before mounting them on the building board.  For now they are drying.

Bob

post-513-0-85213000-1371320609_thumb.jpg

post-513-0-93135900-1371320624_thumb.jpg

The lower part that is hash marked is where the floor timbers go. 

post-513-0-48977200-1371320640_thumb.jpg

It can't go wrong this time.

Anja

Oh Anja,  Don't jinx me that way.   :omg:   

No !  No !  I'll get it together. 

Thanks.  It's all fun.

Bob

Thanks, Carl.  Looking forward to an update on your lovely boats.

Bob

Bob I see that you are coming to this problem from the logical step. Revisit the templates and adjust accordingly.

I am sure that you will move forward with certainty.

I look forward to the next step.

Michael

Looks good Bob, I like that method of laying out your frames.  This is going to be a fun build to follow!

John

future build: to finish Mary Rose

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/8507-mary-rose-by-tarbrush-scale-172-1545/?hl=%2Bmary+%2Brose

completed builds:  Constructo Steam Launch Louise

Michael and John,

Thanks for stopping by and your encouragement.  I always try to make my builds fun. 

Bob

So far so good Bob.  I've had a couple stupid errors recently that had me rebuilding ships.  It's a real pain and a huge disappointment but the lessons are worth learning.  I really like this style of building.  The final look is very authentic.  I look forward to seeing more.   

Daniel, here's more.

The first layer of planking begins. 

I’m planking with the same wood that I used for the frames.  It’s a terrible wood.  I don’t know the name but I remember what it looks like from when I used to build kits .  It’s a shade darker than bass wood and a lot more porous.  The grain is all over the place and even when wet it is very brittle.   It is probably the main wood that drove me to the darkside.  So why am I using it now?  I guess it is to prove to myself that I can. 

This is my modifications of the Malabar Jr. 

In checking the study plan lines I found them to be accurate, so except for changing the bow I used the stations for the frames.  This caused a problem I did not notice until I started the planking.  This is a keel boat, and as such there is a concave curve where the body joins the keel.  The problem is that the keel stops at station 10, and stations 11 and 12 are round on the underside.  On the other hand the transom shows a peak at the base.  Going from a concave to a convex and back to a concave is ridiculous so I added a keel ridge across stations 11 and 12.  In this way I removed the problem of going from a strong concave surface at the rudder (station 10) to round surface at station 11.

Bob

post-513-0-32571900-1462290468.jpg

post-513-0-14559600-1462290483.jpg

Edited by Cap'n'Bob

Bob,

We can see the concave/convex problem from your picture in entry #50 above, I guess I'd be using a "keel bridge" too to try to knit it all together, but at the end of the day the planking has to flow smoothly throughout all of this. Maybe the flow will become more obvious as you apply the planking?

Best of luck with this,

Tom