Malabar Jr. by Cap'n'Bob - small - 1:48 - 30' gaff rigged yawl - Finished

Tom,  Wayne,

Thanks for the encouragement.  I ran into a similar problem building the dragon, but the concave at the rudder came to a sharp corner, where on the Malabar Jr it stayed pretty round. The keel bridge seems to be the right way to go.  Now to finish the planking.

Bob

Every build is a learning experience.

Current build:  SS_ Mariefred

Completed builds:  US Coast Guard Pequot   Friendship-sloop,  Schooner Lettie-G.-Howard,   Spray,   Grand-Banks-dory

a gaff rigged yawl,  HOGA (YT-146),  Int'l Dragon Class II,   Two Edwardian Launches 

In the Gallery:   Catboat,   International-Dragon-Class,   Spray

I've heard that this is the old school form of planking.......I'm so used to planking from the bulwarks down.   tapering would have to start right away,  create the line,  and then plot the strakes all the way to the bulwarks.   did you lay a center plank from where the keel ends, to the transom?   that would have established the line at the stern better for you,  perhaps. {?}  as you say......this is the first planking,  the second planking can clean it up for you and will give you more control.   this is a very neat method.......interested to see the outcome.  ;)

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

Hey Michel and Popeye, thanks for stopping by.  With this wood you can't make a nice planking job.  So,since I'm going to paint the hull, I'm not that concerned with the planking as long as after filling and sanding the shape is right. 

Bob

Completed builds:  US Coast Guard Pequot   Friendship-sloop,  Schooner Lettie-G.-Howard,   Spray,   Grand-Banks-dory

a gaff rigged yawl,  HOGA (YT-146),  Int'l Dragon Class II,   Two Edwardian Launches 

Hi Bob -- I just caught up here, and wanted to say your experience really shows.  I'll definitely be following your build just to learn from your well honed skills.

Cheers,

Martin

Current Build:  HMS FLY 1776

Previous Builds:  Rattlesnake 1781

Prince de Neufchatel

Martin,

Glad to have you aboard.  But I'm afraid the only thing that gets honed around here is the chisels.

Bob

Well the planking is finished and you can see how brittle the wood is.  I did the initial sanding while it was still on the mold.  After removing the hull I noticed that some of the frames are delaminated.  If I do this again I would build up the frames one layer at a time instead of bending all three layers at once.  I was happy to see the floor timbers and bulkheads came out as I hoped. And

I do feel the shape of the transition at the stern came out well.  Now it’s add the keel, patch the holes with filler and sand, sand, sand. 

post-513-0-84008700-1462290652.jpg

post-513-0-58504700-1462290660.jpg

post-513-0-70293200-1462290669.jpg

I am basically pleased with this method of building the hull for small boats like this.  It was a fun learning experience. 

Bob

Edited by Cap'n'Bob

the hull came out very nice.   the wood is called Obechi......I use it quite a bit.   it does behave well when wet,  but cutting it can be a problem,  if the blade isn't sharp....does tend to want to splinter.   sanding isn't fun either.....very rough grain.

very nice method.........I'll have to try it sometime! ;)

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400

Agreed. A very nice method. Thanks for the demonstration! I'll certainly try this way at some future date.

Tony

Popeye, Tony, Thanks for stopping by.

Obechi or obeche, Yep that's the wood.  I have several sheets of poplar veneer and a little mahogany and have no problems with it.  All veneers work better when wet but this stuff . . .   Make you a deal, Popeye, if I ever get any more I'll send it to you.    :)

Bob

Bob well that turned out quite nicely.

Michael

Current builds  Bristol Pilot Cutter 1:8;      Skipjack 19 foot Launch 1:8;       Herreshoff Buzzards Bay 14 1:8

Other projects  Pilot Cutter 1:500 ;   Maria, 1:2  Now just a memory    

Future model Gill Smith Catboat Pauline 1:8

Finished projects  A Bassett Lowke steamship Albertic 1:100  

Anything you can imagine is possible, when you put your mind to it.

the hull came out looking real good Bob.  I like your framing method, looks like that would work great for making multiple hulls.

John

future build: to finish Mary Rose

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/8507-mary-rose-by-tarbrush-scale-172-1545/?hl=%2Bmary+%2Brose

completed builds:  Constructo Steam Launch Louise

Hi Bob -- It came off the frames pretty easily, eh?  With the ribs in plain sight, that makes for an attractive boat. 

Cheers,

Martin

Current Build:  HMS FLY 1776

Previous Builds:  Rattlesnake 1781

Prince de Neufchatel

Thank you all,

I also like the hull and the method but I had one problem.  I put the last plank on and did a rough sanding on the hull.  After that I used my side cutters to cut the frame extensions that I had glued to the mold bulkheads.  I grabbed the hull to lift it off but it wouldn't come no matter how I pulled.  After much scratching of the head and drinking of coffee (This was still early in the day.) I remembered I had glued the bow and stern supports to both the hull and the building board, before planking, for extra support.  Ah, well, that's not as bad as other things I've forgotten.  I would tell you about them too, but as I said I've forgotten them.

Bob

Bob,

Isn't half the fun re-learning what we forgot since we don't know that we forgot it?   ;)   Nice job on the framing and planking.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Mark,

They say for your brains sake "You should learn something everyday".  That's easy when you forget what you know.  So I'm learning all sorts of things (again)  My brain should be in fine shape.  :)   :)

I did some more sanding and added the keel.  Filled the cracks and blended in the keel with filler.  Now a little more sanding and I’ll be ready to paint.

Bob

post-513-0-72821200-1462290818.jpg

post-513-0-81148800-1462290826.jpg

Edited by Cap'n'Bob

Bob that does look very sweet, I am looking forward to the paint.

Michael

Current builds  Bristol Pilot Cutter 1:8;      Skipjack 19 foot Launch 1:8;       Herreshoff Buzzards Bay 14 1:8

Other projects  Pilot Cutter 1:500 ;   Maria, 1:2  Now just a memory    

Future model Gill Smith Catboat Pauline 1:8

Finished projects  A Bassett Lowke steamship Albertic 1:100  

Anything you can imagine is possible, when you put your mind to it.

Sweeeeeeeeeeeet!

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Very nice looking hull Bob...

Thank You all...

Mario

:piratetongueor4:  :piratetongueor4:

"Each of us is a mixture of some good and some not so good qualities. In considering one's fellow man it's important to remember the good things ... We should refrain from making judgments just because a fella happens to be a dirty, rotten SOB(biscuit) ;) "

My Builds....

BETTEAU WAR OF 1812     BOUNTY LAUNCH(bashed)    CHESAPEAKE BAY FLATTIE

THE SEA of GALILEE BOAT   VICTORIAN STEAM LAUNCH(bashed)    HOWARD CHAPELLE's CRABBING SKIFF

LADY KATHRINE 1812 SCHOONER

Looks great Bob! that is such a pleasing looking vessel. If my admiral sees that I will be building one for her as well. :)

John

future build: to finish Mary Rose

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/8507-mary-rose-by-tarbrush-scale-172-1545/?hl=%2Bmary+%2Brose

completed builds:  Constructo Steam Launch Louise

All I can say is Thanks, Thanks, Thanks . . .

Bob

the hull came out great Bob.........it looks very smooth.   looking forward in seeing the paint  :)

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

I probably should have painted the hull first, Popeye. 

I’m sorry but I did it again.  I got carried away building and forgot to take pictures.   Anyway I built the cabin furniture so I could put it in before I put on the sub-deck.  I put pads on the benches and backs and added a chart on the table.  The brown shelf has a step in the middle and another on the cabin deck.

post-513-0-15042900-1373153951_thumb.jpg

That’s it for now.

Bob