USS Arizona by popeye the sailor - Revell - 1:426 scale - PLASTIC

off to the seafood festival today........so likely there won't be much done here.  I did manage to do a little to the Sox & Martin this morning

see food.........eat food.........sea food ...........eat food.............admirals badgering me.........would I be late for my own funeral?............ :D 

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

On 9/7/2019 at 7:25 AM, popeye the sailor said:

would I be late for my own funeral?

One would hope so.

Have a good time at the sea and eat.

Lou

Build logs: Colonial sloop Providence 1/48th scale kit bashed from AL Independence

Currant builds:

Constructo Brigantine Sentinel (Union) (On hold)

Minicraft 1/350 Titanic (For the Admiral)

1/350 Heavy Cruiser USS Houston (Resin)

Currant research/scratchbuild:

Schooner USS Lanikai/Hermes

Non ship build log:

1/35th UH-1H Huey

Nice work as usual and hope the sea food was good.

ref your question what I have been up to - - - busy with several no ship building projects.  My latest is the 1:3000 scale clipper ship Young America diorama.  Got as far as the basic hull (25 mm) that's still laying on the bench gathering dust.

Made prelim drawings for Gwen's father's ship he made captain on.  Was gathering info on a Buginese pirate ship but that's in limbo.  So many things to do and so little time.

Cheers,

Piet, The Flying Dutchman.

"Your greatest asset is not the quantity of your friends , rather the quality of your friends."  (old Chinese proverb)

Current Builds: Hr. Ms. Java 1925-1942

VOC Ship Surabaya

Planned Builds: Young America Diorama - scale 1:3000

Future Builds: KPM ship "MS Musi."  Zuiderzee Botter - scale 1:25. VOC Jacht in a 6" lamp,  Buginese fishing Prauw.  Hr. Ms. Java - Royal Navy Netherlands Cruiser.

Completed Builds:   Hr. Ms. O16 Submarine

Hr. Ms. O19 - Submarine Royal Navy Netherlands

Ship Yard Diorama with Topsail schooner -

Friendship Sloop Gwenfra

Muscongus Bay Lobster Smack    

Golden Hind - Cutte Sark (both not in this forum)

yea......I hear you on the time thing Piet........my vacation was broken here and there ;)    still managed to have a good time....and the seafood festival was awesome {ate my weight in clams}!   if your like me,  I'll play around with something,  till I discover that it's turned into a doable project.  problem here is.........I have quite a few projects that are like that  ;)   patience is a virtue my friend.......I'll keep my eyes open for a new project of yours...or the revival of an old one.  gives me something to look forward to.

I did a little today on the Arizona.   at first,  I wasn't going to use the boarding ladders........I've changed my mind since.  I've also run the first bit of rigging at the stern.  to be honest,  I haven't done the rigging on too many of these types of ships.   my main stumbling block is how to terminate the lines on the deck{s}.   do folks drill holes,  or just cement them to the walls or deck floor?  the hood PE may have some means to help me with this...I hope it does.   I will also add the davits Lou.......our talk this past conversation was helpful.  I have the large and small ones.  sadly now.......I have to go back to work tomorrow......the normalcy is going to kill me.  I think I have a picture or two......I'll check  ;) 

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400

yes........there are pictures!   looking at the PE,  I saw these parts that might be of use..........I'm sure there are more.

279976095_1.jpg.bc9b3e86c7ea2bb8b0aa48020352bc8c.jpg

I made up the larger davits.......these are related to the boat booms,  so I will try and do some rigging too.  

639356710_2.jpg.c4ce329ee646da314902994a8b8eea7b.jpg

I added the boarding ladders......still need to touch them up.

451765845_3.jpg.0acb99a9a15276566d881dbdf122b4c6.jpg

the port side only has one....and as I mentioned,  I began to start the rigging.  the stern mast is a lot easier than the main mast....there more rigging associated with it.

1917516630_4.jpg.3aabccaa59aec15ea6f8b8ce13d33160.jpg

more soon.........thanks for look'in in :) 

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

Hi Denis

I am sure this set of mods will set your build apart from almost all other builds.

See you after work.

Lou

Build logs: Colonial sloop Providence 1/48th scale kit bashed from AL Independence

Currant builds:

Non ship build log:

1/35th UH-1H Huey

thanks gents :)   I think if I study the pictures @  Battleship Photo Index BB-39 USS ARIZONA   more,  I might see more to add.   what I'm using is some really thin electric cord wire.......I stripped an abundance of it a while ago.....it will look better than thread,  I think ;)   once it is run,  a little bit of primping will straighten it out,  although I have it in a bag to keep it from getting all kinked up.   thanks for the kind word,  and thanks to those who hit the like button :) 

would a drowning man refuse a life preserver?.........PM going your way Craig ;)    thank you for the offer!

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

thanx Steve! :) 

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

Looks Great Denis, I love the colors and the details, can't wait to see her finished.

Does anyone have PE railing they don't need or want to sell? I need them for the railings on the Memorial and the dock I will have to scratch build.

Arizona Memorial photo V.jpg

Arizona Memorial photo VIII.jpg

you'd need to figure the scale.......the kit is 1:426.   I've been using 1:350 scale PE.......the hood set I bought.

thanks Javlin.......I've done it with regular thread in the past.......always hated the fuzzy dust thing.   hoping that this super thin wire will be different

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

Some great progress denis.

OC.

Current builds  

28mm  Battle of Waterloo   attack on La Haye Saint   Diorama.

1/700  HMS Hood   Flyhawk   with  PE, Resin  and Wood Decking.

Completed works.

Dragon 1/700 HMS Edinburgh type 42 batch 3 Destroyer plastic.

HMS Warspite Academy 1/350 plastic kit and wem parts.

HMS Trafalgar Airfix 1/350 submarine  plastic.

Black Pearl  1/72  Revell   with  pirate crew.

Revell  1/48  Mosquito  B IV

Eduard  1/48  Spitfire IX

ICM    1/48   Seafire Mk.III   Special Conversion

1/48  Kinetic  Sea Harrier  FRS1

thanks OC........haven't made any this week though.   other thing have taken the front burner. :(   on the other hand......we just went through the spare room and reduced a lot of clutter.  this could equate to more room for modeling:ph34r:  I went down in the cellar to get some empty bins..........my god!.......found the cardboard roll that has all my music posters in!  on top of that........Kevin's Alternator for his #*@%& truck is here WHOOHOO!

....now that god forsaken monolith can leave my garage! :champagne-popping-smiley-emotic:champagne::champagne-2::36:

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

17 minutes ago, popeye the sailor said:

thanks OC........haven't made any this week though.   other thing have taken the front burner. :(   on the other hand......we just went through the spare room and reduced a lot of clutter.  this could equate to more room for modeling:ph34r:  I went down in the cellar to get some empty bins..........my god!.......found the cardboard roll that has all my music posters in!  on top of that........Kevin's Alternator for his #*@%& truck is here WHOOHOO!

....now that god forsaken monolith can leave my garage! :champagne-popping-smiley-emotic:champagne::champagne-2::36:

are you sure it's mine

Its all part of Kev's journey, bit like going to the dark side, but with the lights on

All the best

Kevin :omg:

SAY NO TO PIRACY. SUPPORT ORIGINAL IDEAS AND MANUFACTURERS.
KEEP IT REAL!

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

On the build table

HMS Indefatigable 1794 by Kevin - Vanguard Models - 1:64 - Feb 2023 

HMHS Britannic by Kevin 

SD 14  - Marcle Models - 1/70 - March 2022 -  Bluebell - Flower Class - Revel - 1/72   U552 German U Boat - Trumpeter - 1/48  Amerigo Vespucci     1/84 - Panart-   HMS Enterprise  -CAF -  1/48     

Finished     

St-Nectan-Mountfleet-models-steam-trawler-1/32 - Completed June 2020

HMS Victory - Caldercraft/Jotika - 1/72 - Finished   Dorade renamed Dora by Kevin - Amati - 1/20 - Completed March 2021 

Stage Coach 1848 - Artesania Latina - 1/10 -Finished Lady Eleanor by Kevin - FINISHED - Vanguard Models - 1/64 - Fifie fishing boat

no........my son the music nut!  he put in one of those high-falut'in amplifiers in his truck.  I reminded him that the folks that are into this kind of stuff,  usually upgrade the battery and alternator to make up for the extra power needed to run it.   he said he knew.............OK ;)    the funny part came when he started up the truck....ran fine.....'cept he didn't have dash lights.......   it's a long story...........a rather costly one at that.   gets an alternator specially made and shipped from Michigan,  only to find out it doesn't fit his truck!   I asked him if he checked out anyone local.............he said no:rolleyes:  so he went through the cost of sending it back......and a week or two later,  get told that they can't help him.  of course,  it was me putting it in,  so I had to be the one to discover that the casing and 'bolt ears' were off.  luckily,  he got his money back and was able to fins a place closer to home to have one made up.........with the correct casing ;)  {I gave 'em the specs}.  the alternator will put out 240 amps.....stock is 130 amps.   then he tells me the other day that he had to get another battery.......I ask him why.  there are no hold downs on the one he bought,  and that he bought a 'series' battery.   I said "what?!?!?!"  who fed you that nonsense?  he's no running multiple batteries and no matter how he sets it up,  it will be tied to the charging system.  "how much did you pay for that battery?"   $240.00 was his reply.    upon hearing that............I tried to sell him something  :D  :D 

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

1 hour ago, popeye the sailor said:

upon hearing that............I tried to sell him something  :D  :D 

The bridge in Brooklyn !?!!! :D:D:D:D:D:D

what else?..........the swampland in Louisiana had already been sold  ;) ..... :D   I put the alternator and idler pulley in late yesturday afternoon {possible pun.......could be?!?!}.  I took the day off today so I can be around in case he needs help.   if you see massive smoke to the northeast..........no worries,  it's just my garage burning down ;)   BTW......how do you contact the DHC,  to let them know it isn't a terrorist attack?

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

2 hours ago, popeye the sailor said:

what else?..........the swampland in Louisiana had already been sold  ;) ..... :D 

There probably are a few parcels left on Monadnock ! ;)  Not quite so far away ! Great mountains views too ! :D;):D

On 9/20/2019 at 12:32 PM, popeye the sailor said:

I tried to sell him something  :D  :D 

That wouldn't work in the case of my son. He would have to pay me with MY MONEY that I had to give him!:(

Lou

Currant builds:

Non ship build log:

1/35th UH-1H Huey

• 1 month later...

sorry I haven't followed up on this log........I've been off on another tangent :ph34r:  I'm trying to get back to this one though.......working towards getting one or two of these near finished projects off my main table first.  more on this one soon......

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

18 minutes ago, popeye the sailor said:

sorry I haven't followed up on this log........I've been off on another tangent :ph34r:  I'm trying to get back to this one though.......working towards getting one or two of these near finished projects off my main table first.  more on this one soon......

A bit like me  - mojo gone for a seriously long walk  - trying to intice it back aint easy is it mate.

OC.

Current builds  

28mm  Battle of Waterloo   attack on La Haye Saint   Diorama.

1/700  HMS Hood   Flyhawk   with  PE, Resin  and Wood Decking.

Completed works.

Dragon 1/700 HMS Edinburgh type 42 batch 3 Destroyer plastic.

HMS Warspite Academy 1/350 plastic kit and wem parts.

HMS Trafalgar Airfix 1/350 submarine  plastic.

Black Pearl  1/72  Revell   with  pirate crew.

Revell  1/48  Mosquito  B IV

Eduard  1/48  Spitfire IX

ICM    1/48   Seafire Mk.III   Special Conversion

1/48  Kinetic  Sea Harrier  FRS1

the Mojo part I can handle........it's the tangents.   I've got two of them stuck in my head now......one I already built the hull frame,  and the other one,  I'm in the process of cutting out the bulkheads,  stern and bow stems.  I have been pacing them......I even began to make stairs for the Progress project.  see.....I'm always in motion........but it prevents me from finishing :(   the wood demon is powerful....obey you must :ph34r:

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

I have the same problem.  It is hard to work on projects sequentially.  I keep trying to tell myself that I can build multiple projects at once, but I know better. 

It leads to many started projects and drags out some of them for years.

Edited by GrandpaPhil

Building: 1:64 HMS Revenge (Victory Models plans)

1:64 Cat Esther (17th Century Dutch Merchant Ships)

On the building slip: 1:72 French Ironclad Magenta (original shipyard plans)

On hold: 1:98 Mantua HMS Victory (kit bash), 1:96 Shipyard HMS Mercury

Favorite finished builds:  1:60 Sampang Good Fortune (Amati plans), 1:200 Orel Ironclad Solferino, 1:72 Schooner Hannah (Hahn plans), 1:72 Privateer Prince de Neufchatel (Chapelle plans), Model Shipways Sultana, Heller La Reale, Encore USS Olympia

Goal: Become better than I was yesterday

"The hardest part is deciding to try." - me

very true ;)   so many thing I want to do........so little time to do it in.   today I finally cut out the bulkheads I spoke of.......I got tired of seeing that sheet with the tracings taped to it,   hanging around the spare room.   I may post it.......but I fear that I've cluttered these hallowed halls enough with my nonsense.  concentrate on the projects at hand........and not the ones in my mind ;) 

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

• 2 months later...

I just got thru reading your build article.... (all the way thru) Nice job so far....

Although, i would like to make one observation... Turret #3, the one with the Catapult? was not painted red. The other three were though. Turrets #1 & 2 signified the first battleship division, and turret #4 signified first aircraft division...

8c86330e4d46b8953026d3b6a8537486.jpg

All the pacific fleet battleships had various colors on the three turret tops in the same manner meaning the same things just their different divisions......

Overall she was painted in camouflage Measure 1, overall 5S sea blue with 5H haze grey tops above the stack line....

model-at-PH2.jpg Don Pruel's model at the memorial revealed 12/07/2006 based upon extensive national archive research by several people. who found the actual orders for this turret paint scheme right from Admiral Kimmel's hand. The paint was new, as Kimmel had orders that all ships of the fleet repaint as they could upon any yard availability as the the almost black 5D Dark Navy Grey didn't wear so well and eventually turned semi gloss. She had a yard availability in November due to a collision at sea that punched a hole in her hull that needed dry docking to repair. This was when she was repainted in Sea blue... All the survivors didn't remember the actual color used, but to a man they do remember the orders to turn out and paint her.

Also, the Revell kit, when first released was the ONLY Uss Arizona kit out there and the profits of selling it went to building the memorial that currently resides there..... It's a part of the memorials history and they used to sell it at the museum. I don't know if they still do... but the Revell kit owns a piece of USS Arizona history in it's own right.....

Edited by Egilman

Current Build: F-86F-30 Sabre by Egilman - Kinetic - 1/32nd scale

In the Garage: East Bound & Down, Building a Smokey & the Bandit Kenworth Rig in 1/25th scale

Completed: M8A1 HST  1930 Packard Boattail Speedster  M1A1 75mm Pack Howitzer  F-4J Phantom II Bell H-13's P-51B/C

Temporary Suspension: USS Gwin DD-433  F-104C Starfighter "Blue Jay Four" 1/32nd Scale

Terminated Build: F-104C Starfighter

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Quote:

"Relish Today, Ketchup Tomorrow"

hello Egilman,  thanks for commenting on the project.......I came in this morning intending to look for this log.  I have a little bit of progress that I've been meaning to add to it :) .   if you read the log,  you probably saw that someone else mentioned the turret.  I painted it out of choice.......thought it would look better if they were all painted...nothing more.  I have the picture,   diagram,  and others like it.......the one thing that stuck out as well,  was the controversy about her paint color.  yes........it even took them long enough to arrive at what is now deemed,  the actual paint color.   I wasn't aware that the kit was sold at the memorial.......it's a fitting tribute to the ship.   the model is old.......can be a real pain to work with.  the plastic is thick,  hard and brittle,  and unless scored before cutting,  it tends to crack where you don't want it to.   so care needs to be taken while cutting off the railings,  if PE is used.  I remembered this model.......long ago as a young lad.......saw it at the craft store and bought it.  I was disappointed that in all this time,  no one has come out with a wood deck for this kit......the scale must be an odd size....they have one for just about every other vessel.  but hey.......thanks for pointing the turret out.....it's been already mentioned.  personally,  I'm not totally satisfied with how the railings came out,  and I've been tempted to get another kit and redo the whole thing,  but likely not.  I've been made aware that there is one kit that's better to model the ship,  and after market stuff is available.

a few weeks ago I was tinkering with some PE for the forward mast.  I don't add rigging to these models very often........hard time finding definitive information on how the rigging terminates for the most part.  I do want to add it to this model.  the first line I added is wrong....I've yet to reposition it.  honestly,  I had a hard time weening myself from the B 17 bug,  I seen to have caught..........there's no over the counter medication for it,  so I keep experimenting with various washes and glues,  hoping to find a cure.  wood has been helpful to calm the jitters.  

so.....from the Hood PE,  I cut some parts from the plates that I might be able to use,  that related to the masting and rigging of this particular area on the model.   Craig sent me some PE that may be useful for the termination part of the rigging....{I'll have locate my notes}.......but I glued the PE parts to the outriggers on the forward tower.

2003314000_1.jpg.0a74a21237096d37fd91d69f161240c0.jpg

other parts of potentially useful PE is nearby........I've also been working on a stand for her.   the original parts have been modified to fit on this wood base.......I think it came from the Billings America kit.   I kept it thinking that one day it might be of some use.

1469945519_2.jpg.2263141a48b7a8cbfc27643e487a9401.jpg

don't mind the table.........there are four unfinished projects on it at the moment.   my aim is still to get this table cleaned off....the Arizona is one of those projects.  more on her soon :) 

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

Thank you for replying..... This was my first model so many decades ago, I've built it 7 times but that was before the PE era in modeling.... I"m sure you know about Loren Perry and GMM, he makes the PE for this kit.... In fact I think it was his first PE set.... It is in 1/426th scale. another thing about this kit, the criticisms about this kit, and it being the only kit out there for the ship (people wanting it in 1/350th) is what set off the current round of large scale manufacturing.

Now the model is in a mid thirties fit as I'm sure your aware, the booms were a mid-late thirties add on to the ship and they deleted the masts and yards on both fore and mainmasts, (adding the MG tubs on top of the battery houses) this, completely changed the rigging as well.

My favorite ship model of all time..... 

Don't worry about the desk, you should see mine.....

I have the banner Arizona in my stash, and your inspiring me to build her again......  (along with the Hornet my other favorite ship but in 1/350th this time)

I'm new here, but was drawn to your build, you don't see many take this kit on anymore opting for the Banner or the even larger Trumpeter 1/200th

But hey I'm just getting back into it after a 20 year hiatus... Hopefully, I can sharpen my skills to the point of breaking out my Harold Hahn plans of the Rattlesnake..... (I think it was the rattlesnake... someday)

Anyway, I love what your doing and am anticipating your next update.....

Current Build: F-86F-30 Sabre by Egilman - Kinetic - 1/32nd scale

In the Garage: East Bound & Down, Building a Smokey & the Bandit Kenworth Rig in 1/25th scale

Completed: M8A1 HST  1930 Packard Boattail Speedster  M1A1 75mm Pack Howitzer  F-4J Phantom II Bell H-13's P-51B/C

Temporary Suspension: USS Gwin DD-433  F-104C Starfighter "Blue Jay Four" 1/32nd Scale

Terminated Build: F-104C Starfighter

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Quote:

"Relish Today, Ketchup Tomorrow"