• 2 weeks later...

Hi all can you guess what this will be.

2yx2fig.jpg

14lhkch.jpg

Started on a background 

v4awx3.jpg

Put a blue whale in it which I've drawn to scale just to show how big the wreck is, i realise it don't look that great but I'm going to put dirty blue wash over the background so that should make it fade out a bit.

zodg78.jpg

358yw4k.jpg

I'm really enjoying this build. Looking forward to my birthday and my next project (not a ship)

I like your idea, been following quietly along on this dio. If I recall the Ballard book correctly about the Bismarck, he had to use an un-manned sled because the water was too deep for a manned sub to visit. ARGO looks about the same length as a VW Bug, but half the width, if that might help you. ARGO though would be using scale lights the size and power of Christmas-tree lights. Would be interesting to see on your model. Keep up the work.

Brian :)

You are doing a fantastic job but your depictions fore and aft?OK I see what you are going after and the Swastika is not slanted like the Eugen :wacko: I am about 50% on the Eugen ATTM.

PS: Last edit I used 1/48scale(?) swastika's on my decks since the ones trump sent were useless. ;)

Bismarck-trumpeter.jpg

f00526ca8a57d14ff0f96908a85e40df.jpg

Edited by Javlin
1 hour ago, Javlin said:

You are doing a fantastic job but your depictions fore and aft?OK I see what you are going after and the Swastika is not slanted like the Eugen :wacko: I am about 50% on the Eugen ATTM.

PS: Last edit I used 1/48scale(?) swastika's on my decks since the ones trump sent were useless. ;)

Bismarck-trumpeter.jpg

Hi Javlin,

Any chance you could open a build log of your Eugen?   I think we'd love to see it.

If you watch James Cameron's documentary about surveying the Bismark wreck (it's called "James Cameron's Expedition Bismarck"), on one dive they nearly damaged one of the subs by landing on a section of the lower hull that blew off when the ship hit bottom, having likely been weakened by torpedo hits from the Dorsetshire. Now, I expect they were a bit further away than the scope of your diorama, but it wouldn't be unreasonable to have some panels like that lying around. And I don't think anyone would fault other small bits and pieces scattered about.

Of course, in the end, you're the one who is going to be looking at it the most; so make it how you like it! I think it looks excellent so far! I've been meaning to ask - what is your reference (if any) for the shell hits and other damage?

On 10/31/2018 at 1:46 PM, kpnuts said:

I know there is no debris from the wreck in the immediate area but I'm sorely tempted to use some artistic licence and add some.

There are no whales 16,000 ft down for one so you are firmly in "artistic license" zone already. ;) 

...but there's NOTHING wrong with that! Go for broke... may not be a 100% accurate depiction of the wreck but it does look cool! My $.02: Make the diorama as interesting as possible. 

3 hours ago, kpnuts said:

I was thinking of adding another light, do you think that would be too much.

Take a pic in the dark! Of course, the picture won't properly capture the effect; but, looking at it in the dark would be how I'd decide on what degree of lighting I want, if it were my diorama. 

Are they individually controlled? If so, it could be a neat idea to have a bunch of little lights, but be able to turn on just one at a time to highlight a section, like an actual sub. That could get complicated, though...