Zebulon B. Vance by ESF - Dean's Marine - 1:96 - Plastic

Steve,

Here are a couple of photos from “Modern Seamanship”....

In the foreground of the first photo, you can see the chain stopper.  This takes the load of holding the anchor securely in the hawsepipe.  The Pelican Hook is basically a big clamp that fits around a link in the chain.

D9F1A2C0-B716-4A8F-8B25-CE833E10E3CA.jpeg

7443E7EE-62C9-48DE-95D1-99AC22C956D5.jpeg

Edited by Rcboater Bill
Corrected book title

In progress:  

BlueJacket Lobster Smack 1/8 scale (RC)

1/96 Revenue Cutter Harriet Lane RC scratchbuild

completed:  

1/144 scale USS Guadalcanal CVE-60 RC scratchbuild

Revell 1/305 USCG 327’ Secretary class cutter

Dumas 1/16 scale USCG Motor Lifeboat 36500 (RC)

Lindberg 1/95 USCG Lightship LV-112 “Nantucket” RC conversion

shape some sides, to bring it up, and than cover it. The "V" is to sharp it could jam the chain ... If you make it higher as per Kevin's photograph, you will only need a vary shallow rounding, instead of the sharp "V" you are working with. 

I like those images Rcboater!

Edited by cog

Carl

"Desperate affairs require desperate measures." Lord Nelson
Search and you might find a log ...

To those who gave likes, thank you and thanks for stopping by.

Bill, thank you for the wonderful photos.  The detail is incredible.  Some day when my skill level goes up far beyond my current ability maybe I'll be capable of that sort of fabrication.  For now I'll be happy if I get the covers to a reasonable spec.

Carl, are you talking about my second or third attempt?  The third is more curved and I thought more in line with Kevin's pic and Bill's second photo. I don't think either one has built up sides - the sides look like the top edge of the hawse hole, which at the moment is hidden under my overlapping cover.

Steve

No more waffling, gotta git’er done.

Steve

hawsecovers.thumb.jpeg.38abd6a56712b847706d96da57ac026e.jpeg

The anchor chain, windlass, hawse pipe lips, chain pipe plates and hawse covers are painted one coat.  Since the hawse covers will hide one end of the chains I needed something at the chain pipes.  Some photos show windlasses and chain pipes on a mounting pad.  I cut a piece of plastic large enough to incorporate the windlass and the chain pipes, then drilled and filed the area of the chain pipe holes.  This will give more depth for setting the half-link of the chain to help the illusion.

chainpipes.thumb.jpeg.92bd322e143a29bde43599bbc641fc41.jpeg

1801429099_windlasspainted.thumb.jpeg.425137b5174d80cc7c0356b4c04024b2.jpeg

To me they looked higher. However, if the a chain link on it's side can get through, it's high enough. I like the grey, shouldn't use black on the windlass

Carl

"Desperate affairs require desperate measures." Lord Nelson
Search and you might find a log ...

Carl, the windlass is blue gray, more like the second photo than the first.

Steve

chainfar.thumb.jpeg.5d1b6d6aaa16073d96ff755912c70515.jpegThe anchor chains were easier to brush paint suspended between toothpicks.  I started with a rust color and then gave highlight washes with gray and black, each one diluted with thinner.  They still need a spray of clear flat after the color dries.

chainclose.thumb.jpeg.bc64c8f5f11d896185fa619e025b53b1.jpeg

boatstillerudder.thumb.jpeg.e5872511791dcbc893f7b332045b3d06.jpegThe rudder-tillers are all stowed, one step closer to hanging the boats from the davits.

Steve

manropelayup.thumb.jpeg.8d0fbab375cc2fe316bd9163b8947d05.jpeg

The manropes lend themselves to sequential fabrication.  First, cut a bunch of lengths and seize in the eyes.  Then shift to the jig to develop the wrapped coils.  So 16 of 64 are done (only 12 shown in photo in case you are counting) in a timely way and the task no longer looks endless.

manropeprogress.thumb.jpeg.ee6b49c67dd9cdb06d57ef3a5690c787.jpeg

Steve

Windlass welcome

windlass1.thumb.jpeg.b3fa71fca465731df6fb00e33931b581.jpeg

The ship’s crew welcomed the finished windlass.  A few heart-pausing moments including squishing a link on an already short chain while trying to cut it in half, and gluing the base off-center on the deck - why is it that CA dries so quickly when you are making a mistake?  Fortunately some quick chiseling popped it loose before it permanently bonded.  Deck touch up is in order.

But it’s in and the chain ends look like they go somewhere, thanks to all your contributions.  Celebratory photos are below.

windlass2.thumb.jpeg.3eb70c7a77705a963681b5f78806d01a.jpeg

windlass3.thumb.jpeg.d518ce960c612c0dbe9aeea74a4fb76e.jpeg

windlass4.thumb.jpeg.62dd6691a7cedaf0bcf9f51e365cac4e.jpeg

windlass5.thumb.jpeg.0ff803ab6f0b61f388137629dabe394f.jpeg

windlass6.thumb.jpeg.78519e0393b6df6ba00d14b5758e90c0.jpeg

windlass7.thumb.jpeg.18bb2206f6fd224d74304827f763fece.jpeg

I might dig up a picture of my late father since he had slippers that bore a remarkable resemblance to the hawse pipe covers.  But the covers do make a nice concealment for the chain.

Looks wonderful, Steve.  Nicely fixed and shipshape.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

6 hours ago, ESF said:

slippers that bore a remarkable resemblance to the hawse pipe covers

Slippers or hawse pipe covers. What difference. Form follows function and they both do pretty much the same thing.

Great progress Steve looking on for the continued saga. :D

Lou

Build logs: Colonial sloop Providence 1/48th scale kit bashed from AL Independence

Currant builds:

Constructo Brigantine Sentinel (Union) (On hold)

Minicraft 1/350 Titanic (For the Admiral)

1/350 Heavy Cruiser USS Houston (Resin)

Currant research/scratchbuild:

Schooner USS Lanikai/Hermes

Non ship build log:

1/35th UH-1H Huey

Carl, a toes-t to you for keeping all the blogs lively!

Steve

Marshaling troops at the border

P1040826.thumb.jpeg.d184d6f4e47ebd24dc741cf84e4b1ff1.jpeg

The troops continue to gather at the border in anticipation of the invasion.  An impressive array of 16 boats, 32 davits, 32 hooks (not yet in fighting trim), 32 cargo blocks and 50 manropes (soon to be 64) are fit and ready to descend on the boat deck.  Boats, davits and blocks have moved into position on the left flank out of sight.  Wishing them all the best of luck but knowing full well that the best plan of attack rarely survives the first engagement.

P1040829.thumb.jpeg.59b14186fcc50d4c1d7534ede686f6f3.jpeg

P1040828.thumb.jpeg.d0592dcbd0eb2601ffe96f09ebea8b82.jpeg

Try an extra rum ration.  That sometimes helps to get to at least one more engagement.  Or at least the troops won't worry about it.

Your marshaling is impressive.  Maybe some John Phillips Sousa music would help?

Mark

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Well done, whats left after the lifeboats are in position, and can we see a full side view of the build then please?

Its all part of Kev's journey, bit like going to the dark side, but with the lights on

All the best

Kevin :omg:

SAY NO TO PIRACY. SUPPORT ORIGINAL IDEAS AND MANUFACTURERS.
KEEP IT REAL!

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

On the build table

HMS Indefatigable 1794 by Kevin - Vanguard Models - 1:64 - Feb 2023 

HMHS Britannic by Kevin 

SD 14  - Marcle Models - 1/70 - March 2022 -  Bluebell - Flower Class - Revel - 1/72   U552 German U Boat - Trumpeter - 1/48  Amerigo Vespucci     1/84 - Panart-   HMS Enterprise  -CAF -  1/48     

Finished     

St-Nectan-Mountfleet-models-steam-trawler-1/32 - Completed June 2020

HMS Victory - Caldercraft/Jotika - 1/72 - Finished   Dorade renamed Dora by Kevin - Amati - 1/20 - Completed March 2021 

Stage Coach 1848 - Artesania Latina - 1/10 -Finished Lady Eleanor by Kevin - FINISHED - Vanguard Models - 1/64 - Fifie fishing boat

Mark, thank you for your kind comment.  I'll definitely work on a Sousa sound bite.

Kevin, thank you for your kind comment.  The ship has been languishing on the dining room table in somewhat dim light to make room for marshaling.  But it will be back in the shipyard shortly to start the davit installation.  As to what's left after lifeboats, the list includes portside railings, carley floats, deck furniture, vents, anchors, masts, aft awning, rope reels and lettering.  And most important, launching and sailing!

Steve

Steve,

One of the great things about building scale RC ships (compared to aircraft) is that you don’t have to wait until the model is finished to take it out for a sail.

In fact, I usually put my models in the water as soon as possible, just the bare hull— to verify the running gear, stability, etc.   

Might be a little late to tell you this now, but even now you may discover something you want to change before completing the detail work.....

-Bill

IMG_4843-S.jpg

Edited by Rcboater Bill

In progress:  

completed:  

I'm with Bill. I was never able to wait until the entire ship was finished to get them into the water. I always justified it by telling people that the real ships are not finished when they are launched, so why does a model have to be? :D I was just doing "proof of concept" trials, not playing! :unsure:

Lou

Build logs: Colonial sloop Providence 1/48th scale kit bashed from AL Independence

Currant builds:

Non ship build log:

1/35th UH-1H Huey

Bill and Lou, quite awhile ago I discovered the bathtub trick wasn’t an option because the ship is too big.  I have been scouting the nearby pond but it has two large aerating fountains that create continuous ripples, waves at 1:96.  I am unsure how far my two channel radio signal will carry and I don’t want the ship lost to the waves or spray circles.  The next test option (other than buying waders) is my son’s swimming pool which was kindly offered and will likely be accepted.  I was thinking today or tomorrow on the eve of the lifeboat invasion but the forecast is storms both days.  I’m just as anxious to finish the ship as to sail it, so for better or worse the lifeboats will be installed prior to sailing.  I guess it’s all in or go home.  At the moment the ballast amount and positioning is my biggest concern (unless you say otherwise) but the upper decks are removable which should make for easier shifting, adding or subtracting.  The ship starts with two six volt gel cells, one for power centrally located and one forward for backup and to balance the aft motor so think I’m headed in the right direction.

Steve

Invasion!

aerialoverview.thumb.jpeg.3995cb7209991afab754267bf16d34a4.jpeg

At dawn the lifeboat invasion commenced, starting with a sweep of the landing area.  An aerial overview and other early images were quickly dispatched to avoid duplicating the tragic loss of the D-Day photo record.

thelandingcraft.thumb.jpeg.03b402de9ae96963598ddadb1c467489.jpeg

The warriors remain packed and hunkered down in their landing craft until the davits are solidly dug in to the boat deck.  Some are trying to quell their anxiety with illicit rum.

1210164879_diggingin.thumb.jpeg.3fc26b418954ce58567c84adbe2a2139.jpegDigging in - one man slightly off the mark but not bad for the fog of battle

1046099761_starboardpositionsestablished.thumb.jpeg.6a11d6f96d7ec59f6fcc078efca753c6.jpegStarboard positions established

34775583_thebuddysystem.thumb.jpeg.dfdc9f28a22d3616bcb448d82dd5945f.jpegThe buddy system

734774751_surroundingtheaccessways.thumb.jpeg.4eb5e2284e0d8e0310f56cba094b4d28.jpegSurrounding the accessways.

853019534_Eightpositions.thumb.jpeg.4d384187a783f86657a94d0a52c2ba31.jpeg

All eight positions achieved

1732799591_awaitingthenextwave.thumb.jpeg.13d3bd092eafd266651538d10ea2fd94.jpegAwaiting the next wave

Steve,

You needn’t have any concerns about the range of your RC set-   You could sail the model far enough out that you can’t tell which way it is going, and still have control.

Having said that, the 2.4Ghz signal is line of sight- so don’t sail behind the boathouse or other big solid structure.   

It is is also a good idea to mount your receiver above the waterline- 2.4GHz signals don’t penetrate water much beyond a couple of inches. (That’s why RC sub sailors use the old 72MHz radio gear— so they can go 5-6 feet down.)

-Bill

In progress:  

completed:  

Bill, thank you for your feedback and guidance.  The antenna is just below the main deck along the inside face of the hull so hopefully it will get a good signal.

Steve

Lifeboats in the fray

lifeboats2.thumb.jpeg.727b710729660481214727244a3704cb.jpeg

The battle plan took a sudden turn for the better when the lifeboats discovered that with a little CA help they could ascend to the davits sans rigging.  In moments they were engaged.

lifeboats.thumb.jpeg.733f15090058770d115b998aa275c8b2.jpeg

boatrig1.thumb.jpeg.5933aed116ca3b6e4535413b3885f099.jpegWith the lifeboats solidly in place the rigging should go quickly.  Above and below are shots of the first result.  Some fine trimming is in order.  The annealed steel wire gives has enough stiffness to give extra support to the top of the davits; and some photos show a fairly sturdy cable supporting the manropes so  I'll stick with the wire unless the group feels rope is more appropriate.

boatrig2.thumb.jpeg.570ea4bcd42af2fc4cfc526c6ec65a6b.jpeg

boatrig3.thumb.jpeg.9e043b19ba93e62a13dc6cdd35d73cbf.jpeg

boatrig4.thumb.jpeg.94550c102de464d75a72af5d48f6660e.jpeg

The last pic has different coloring since the photographer was trying for an artsy shot.

I think the steel wire to support the man ropes looks great.   (We called them “Monkey ropes”)

Question: did you miss a step?   Are there decals for the green stripes and red crosses on the lifeboats that would be easier to apply before gluing the boats in place?   Or were those gone from the time period your model represents?

I ask because I have “Been there, done that, have a drawer full of tee shirts”!

-Bill

In progress:  

completed:  

Hello Steve,

I just wanted to stick my head in and compliment you on your ship model progress. There is an amazing amount of fine detail on this model, all of which has turned out great.  I am really impressed with your railings - all so straight and true.  With so many of them, I would expect to see a few wonky ones, but I don’t.  The eye is quick to pick up on variation and the care you have taken with these details gives the model a clean professional look.  Very nice work.

Gary

Current Build   Pelican Eastern-Rig Dragger  

Completed Scratch Builds

Rangeley Guide Boat   New England Stonington Dragger   1940 Auto Repair Shop   Mack FK Shadowbox    

Bill, in hospital mode (with name temporarily changed to John J. Meany) the Vance lifeboats had a stripe and crosses.  But in the photo below, which the National Archives sent to me when I inquired about the Vance appearance in post-hospital period, the boats are painted out a single color (assumed white) above the waterline.  This didn’t surprise me since they also painted out the large cross and green stripe along the ship’s hull.  In fact they repainted the entire hull from white to a darker color.

Now if someone could explain to me why the post-hospital Vance in the photo below seemed to suddenly sprout an extra promenade opening at the main deck level (11 total) while the hi-resolution photos of the Meany all show 10....  The ship was only in the dockyard for a month between hospital and war bride duty and it seems strange that a major superstructure change would be undertaken during a quickie refit.  And if this isn't the Vance, what is it?  Rhetorical questions for me since I'm sticking with 10 openings as shown in the Meany, but puzzling just the same.

b0145b_zebulon_b_vance_usat_01_nara.jpg.b24e0cd08d5af7d1fc4ae2ff4c218359.jpg

Gary, thank you for your kind comments.  Regarding railings, I drilled the holes along the deck with a template and used straight rigid lengths (8 inches each) of brass for railings.  The deck holes were snug enough to allow me to pack the stanchions onto three railings, then spread them out to plug temporarily into the holes.  Once everything was aligned each joint received a dab of CA.  Then the completed sections were removed, washed, air dried, painted and glued in place.  I don’t know if this is standard procedure but it seemed to help keep the railings straight.  For joints between sections I snipped the mounting tab off one end stanchion which allowed me to glue it to the last stanchion of the previous section.  After painting, the double thickness stanchion isn’t that noticeable and the extra stiffness allowed me to dispense with angle bracing. Oh, by the way there are some wonky ones, mostly in short sections around corners and where I was trying different techniques.  But thanks for not noticing.

Carl, no hole in the lifeboat keels.  I figure I’ll use the previously suggested eyedropper technique if needed.  

Steve

I agree with Bill on the 27Mhz and even the 75Mhz. If you have even an average quality radio you will be able to get further away from the shoreline than you feel comfortable. Think of looking at a ship on the horizon!

The 2.7Ghz stuff is pretty much an unknown to me as most of it came out after I was away from RC. I know of it and pretty much what it does, but I have no personal experience with it. Best to follow Bill's expertise. 

I do know that you probably have nothing to fear from the fountain or waves, but if it is not too much trouble take advantage of the offer of the pool if you can. I suspect that you will be adding MUCH more ballast than you expect and this will be much easier to deal with in a clean pool than a murky pond with a muddy shore. There is also the added advantage that if she ends up floating red side up for some reason, it is much easier to find the hull and even the small parts when you can see the bottom where you are sailing! No need to ask me how I know!

The information of lack of penetration of the 2.7Ghz signal is new to me. The subs I built were all able to go down at least 10 or 15 feet in a clear pool without any radio problems at all. They could do the same in a lake and possibly even more but without being able to see them, why bother? Besides if they didn't come up you would not even know where to start looking for it!:( 

Lou

Currant builds:

Non ship build log:

1/35th UH-1H Huey

Steve,

Glad to hear all is well in the lifeboat dept- I should have realized that with the repainted hull, the boats would also lose the stripes!

But, like I said, it is easy to get ahead of yourself and miss a step, at least for me!

My hall of fame moment here was when I was building a WW1 Bristol Fighter plastic kit. I got so fixated on closing up the fuselage and eliminating any sign of a seam, that I forgot to put the engine in first!   Figured it out when I looked at my perfect fuselage and realized there was nowhere to attach the exhausts and prop!   D’oh!!!

Going back on topic:   

Steve, your receiver should be fine where you put it.  I have installed some just above the waterline in small models, and had no issues.  

The 2.4 GHz RC units are great- the days of one model per frequency are gone.  Each receiver binds with its transmitter, and ignores signals from anyone else.   But the signal can’t penetrate water, so you want the Rex above the water line.  Even in a pool, where you’re likely no more than 50 feet away, you’ll lose control of a sub after a foot or so down on 2.4GHz.

I don’t do subs anymore, but I was able to sell all my old 75MHz RC gear to other sub skippers...

-Bill

Edited by Rcboater Bill
Fix typos

In progress:  

completed:  

Extra opening? These old eyes are gong blind as I don't see it.  I'd guess it was because of the passengers they were intending to bring to the States.  How hard would it have been to cut a hole and hang a hatch?   (Serious question there). 

Mark

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds: