SMS Seydlitz by Canute, Cog, Stein Gildberg & RGL - FINISHED - Hobbyboss - 1/350

Started cleaning up the hull. And now Greg has shown some more fun drilling out all the vents.  I'm going to look at some Plano brass roof-walk materials for railroad cars as a backing to add a little detail. That website is: http://www.planomodelproducts.com/boxreef_scq.html

Ken

Started: MS Bounty Longboat,

On Hold:  Heinkel USS Choctaw paper

Down the road: Shipyard HMC Alert 1/96 paper, Mamoli Constitution Cross, MS USN Picket Boat #1

Scratchbuild: Echo Cross Section

Member Nautical Research Guild

I thought about that, on quite a few photos there does not appear to be any metal grille behind apart from a few support struts.

When you zoom in they are completely black,  leading me to believe they are hollow. That being said, because of that it forces you to drill these bits out. 

20141C89-4397-464B-846C-B3A0D2F30043.jpeg

4EF61CB3-7A1F-41B7-AB79-AB330E4912BB.jpeg

Greg

Top picture seems to show something on the interior of the vent. A very coarse grill work? There do seem to be some vertical bars(?) in there.

Ken

Down the road: Shipyard HMC Alert 1/96 paper, Mamoli Constitution Cross, MS USN Picket Boat #1

looks like you might need to trim the openings of the rear torpedo tubes.....they look as though the torpedoes will hit the hull as they come out.   hull looks good so far Greg.

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

Will definitely be following along on this, love the pre-Dreadnaughts.  Looking at her beside the Yamato without all the extraneous deck fittings and armament in picture above shows a lot of resemblance to form U-boats and later submarines.

Cheers,

Jason

"Which it will be ready when it is ready!"

In the shipyard:

HMS Jason (c.1794: Artois Class 38 gun frigate)

Queen Anne Royal Barge (c.1700)

Finished:

HMS Snake (c.1797: Cruizer Class, ship rigged sloop)

Good news on the PE. I'll be bugging Free Time for it, since they carry the Infini line.

Ken

Yes, relatively spartan, without the usual radar and comm antennas. Make up for that with the torpedo nets and coaling facilities.

Ken

They used to be able to hit each other over 12 kilometres just using optics too! At anchor with the nets deployed they would also drag anchor As the tide was turning. They could operate at about 6kts with the nets down but would use a prodigious amount of coal. 

Greg

There is nothing below the waterline when it comes to details. There is also no strakes along the bow which are on the real thing. 

So some marskung and some very thin tape soles that quickly. I need to get some more rattle can spray to finish coverage on the Lower hull, then I can scribe in some panels. 

I also added some riveted panels to the rudders and above the cannons that run along the edge of the hull. 

8D7F866A-3038-4D04-A645-C3A31804ADF1.jpeg

90B37094-D191-432A-8D21-EA6168527A25.jpeg

F62BE093-11B4-4253-A3A1-B51E55E6D4BD.jpeg

CFAE7DE1-C07E-4261-9E1C-AF1CF15EB4E3.jpeg

1EC4D774-F43E-4F3A-B962-19EE89FAA0B5.jpeg

Edited by RGL

Greg

• 1 month later...

I’m loving seeing a representation of plastic models now! My upgrade is ordered but won’t be ready till the end of the year but Ive got a lot on anyways I won’t get to it till February really. 

What else to the upgrade, I’ve ordered a LOT of pulleys and blocks required for the rigging of the torpedo nets. Very cheap off EBay. 

Canute is going to get a real head start with this as it’s already arrived in the US. I can’t really do much until I get the template for the torpedo net booms, then I can etch in armour plates. 

Hey, by Feb Popeye will have finished Vendetta and Cog his marvellous destroyer. 

Seydltiz under full broadside 

0A5A2C87-E136-4051-AD6C-8E14CECEF9BC.jpeg

Greg

hello Greg........was wondering where you got off to.   I was hoping to see progress you might have made,  but yes........I'm reminded that this kit is hot off the presses,  and not everything id available yet.   gee,  I figured it would have been available in the US by now.  have you made any more progress with the hull?

sorry about the Vendetta.........she still sits on my desk,  waiting for me to continue.  I figured you and Carl were disappointed.  I have my modeling behavior,  and thinking how to proceed to blame.   the wood bug gave me a rash:blush:   Feb sounds like a good goal :) 

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

Just in from Free Time Hobbies in Blue Ridge, GA.  A nice sized box chock full of brass, resin, wood and, I think, stainless steel.

There are 9 bags of turned brass parts. Two are Seydlitz specific masting and yards. Seven bags contain the various gun barrels, booms hose reels and derricks.

There is one resin bag with the blast bags for the 280 mm cannon.

There are 6 brass photo etch frets: A- railings, companionways, ladders and ringoles(?), B-davits, boat chocks, daylights, C- railings, stack trim, derricks, D-anti-torpedo booms, E- ships boats, F anchor gear and coaling hatches/scuttles.

Anchor chain and 2 pieces of 0.15 mm brass wire are also included. I believe the wire is for rigging the helm signals attached to the main mast.

There is a very thin wood deck set.

Four double sided pages of instructions, along with a parts breakout of all the bagged parts and drilling patterns for the torpedo net mounting holes. There is also a drilling guide to attach some boat booms towards the stern.

DSCN0120.JPG.71edd9b8de93b17eea4b10016e2721dc.JPGGood sized box, about 15 inches long

DSCN0123.JPG.db086c6f988fbe20cf591fa5cdc43a73.JPGBrass barrels, hose reels and mast parts

DSCN0127.JPG.22da07266b45d54f434c8ff6fabbfd02.JPG anti torpedo boom rigging and shelving for the nets

DSCN0121.JPG.f5c26251ec6f2c2cd7c3db6748dab43a.JPGInstruction sheet, 1 of 4

DSCN0122.JPG.bc4b84d50d61f532124a8418336fcc2f.JPGbagged parts and drilling diagram

DSCN0125.JPG.e63ba0a73ff95cc339ebe519df8a1ecd.JPGtorpedo nets and more ringoles

You will need some 40 dernier black lycra thread  (Infini part IR 0401B super fine black) Not included in this package, but called out in the instruction sheets. Below is the wood sheets and anchor chain, along with a slightly better view of the stainless netting.

DSCN0124.JPG

DSCN0126.JPG

Edited by Canute
add to captioning

Ken

WOW

That should keep you off the streets and out of trouble for a while Ken!:D Happy Day! (BTW Greg is jealous)

Lou

Build logs: Colonial sloop Providence 1/48th scale kit bashed from AL Independence

Currant builds:

Constructo Brigantine Sentinel (Union) (On hold)

Minicraft 1/350 Titanic (For the Admiral)

1/350 Heavy Cruiser USS Houston (Resin)

Currant research/scratchbuild:

Schooner USS Lanikai/Hermes

Non ship build log:

1/35th UH-1H Huey

Lou, I know.We're in touch.  He's further along with his hull. I'm deciding how I'll display the ship. Probably pedestals, but....

Ken

I know you guys are in touch. It's a group build afterall. I was just giving you a bad time by relating to his broadside that he posted last night our time.

0A5A2C87-E136-4051-AD6C-8E14CECEF9BC.jpeg

Lou

Build logs: Colonial sloop Providence 1/48th scale kit bashed from AL Independence

Currant builds:

Constructo Brigantine Sentinel (Union) (On hold)

Minicraft 1/350 Titanic (For the Admiral)

1/350 Heavy Cruiser USS Houston (Resin)

Currant research/scratchbuild:

Schooner USS Lanikai/Hermes

Non ship build log:

1/35th UH-1H Huey