SMS Seydlitz by Canute, Cog, Stein Gildberg & RGL - FINISHED - Hobbyboss - 1/350 - PLASTIC

Thanks gents for the likes and the compliments.

I have just returned from a trip to visit a friend whom has been diagnosed with lung cancer. Hope to finish the for'ard superstructure this week, but life seems to be interfering a lot lately

Carl

"Desperate affairs require desperate measures." Lord Nelson
Search and you might find a log ...

Sorry to hear about your friend 

Building: 1:64 HMS Revenge (Victory Models plans)

1:64 Cat Esther (17th Century Dutch Merchant Ships)

On the building slip: 1:72 French Ironclad Magenta (original shipyard plans)

On hold: 1:98 Mantua HMS Victory (kit bash), 1:96 Shipyard HMS Mercury

Favorite finished builds:  1:60 Sampang Good Fortune (Amati plans), 1:200 Orel Ironclad Solferino, 1:72 Schooner Hannah (Hahn plans), 1:72 Privateer Prince de Neufchatel (Chapelle plans), Model Shipways Sultana, Heller La Reale, Encore USS Olympia

Goal: Become better than I was yesterday

"The hardest part is deciding to try." - me

• 6 months later...

Hi guys!

Greetings from Norway!

First, I must say I am really impressed with your work! I am trying to build my own SMS Seydlitz using the Infini Detail Up Set.
So far I have found that parts BS 10 are both missing as well as part BS 12 (only 1 in the bag).
The drawings are not user friendly comparted to the 1:200 Pontos Detail Up Sets for Bismarck and Hood (yes, I have built them both).

My main challenge so far has been the system for the torpedo nets. I did not understand how this was supposed to work, so I spent a lot of time trying to find out:

It seems to me, from studying pictures in your build as well as some other pictures from Internet that Infini has not understood the system either.

1)      The side showing the booms in upper position, were the nets are supposed to rest on the shelf, have 1 each cable support from the boom itself (ca 70% out) to the hull, attached directly above the boom. The boom can then swivel from storage position to deployed position attached to one point from each attachment positioned directly above each other.
So, to me it seems that:
From the point where the single cable meets the boom, it is extended down to the bottom of the nets allowing the nets to be lowered/raised ( see picture page 9, dated Jan 20.)
The small “davits” hanging over the deck edge are used to pull the net up and over the booms.
The number of cable supports provided by Infini are enough to cover both sides of the ship, although the “cables”(parts 290/291 etc) are too short (they must be extended as the nets are deployed), and can be substituted on the model by using (for example) the attached 0.15mm brass.

2)      The side no. 4 in Infinis instructions show the booms in lowered position/nets deployed do NOT show any of the any cable support (parts 290/291 etc)  at all. Rather, it seems the booms are supported by the anchoring points (parts no 60).
Well, this does not make sense as the booms will not be able to swing sideways in any direction if they are attached to TWO points each positioned NOT above the boom itself!
Further, no detailed, original picture shows any such no 60 attachment points (part no 60)!! (At least I have not been able to spot any).

So, I hate to be a possible “showstopper”, especially to this impressive project. Still, I wanted to point this out in order to have your comments whether I am right or wrong. Please study available pictures ang give your comments!

Best regards Stein Gildberg

Infini goes no where in explaining how they work. If you go back and look at my Dreadnought there is a diagram from the AOTS how it works, and I’ve based this model up that form of mechanics and images from the era plus the descriptions in Gary Staff’s battlecruisers of ww1. I’m sure Infini will replace the missing parts and you’re welcome to add your build here. As it’s been a few builds ago I am not really in the headspace of the exactitude of it. 

Greg

• 1 year later...
On 12/23/2018 at 8:29 PM, RGL said:

Now, the three sisters of grunge, grey black and green. Using very filter light grey to overspray, then diluted black to draw in the ribs, a light grey overspray again to tone it down. 

There will be a large dark grey bootstrap which I intend to almost rub off (all the references show it rubs off easily) then I can add a salt and green alge coat. 

E2A251EA-C551-4464-B998-16F3A51CA2EC.png

3AFC3FF3-F447-47A3-9F3F-51391D1113DD.jpeg

89ABA582-D33F-4106-9CEB-161A1CB8354A.jpeg

7E686DE7-09CB-4CC6-9301-85F5A2546473.jpeg

What kind of paint did you use for the algae effect?  It looks amazing, much better than any of the effects I've tried

So, my Seydlitz is finished- more or less. A had great inspiration in your posting and used the original photos a lot in my work. The main difference from my model to yours is perhaps the rigging of the nets. Luckilly, a lot of original photos excist-from Seydlitz as well as from other German ships of the period, so I was able to figure out a rigging that is, at least to my understanding, workable, and may be also reflects the original rigging 🙂

A full set of Infini PE was used as well as part from my parts bin etc. Rigging is elastic rigging thread of different thickness. Lanterns are made from stretched, clear sprue. Loop antenna made from 0.2mm copper thread rings and elastc thread set up in a self made rig.

The wooden deck was tinted a thad with a mix of paint heavily diluted in white spirit.

Net rigging attachments to the deck are made from sprue and brass 0.3mm shaped to rings. 
Paint used is mainly from Lifecolor suplemented by Vallejo and Revell paints.

1FADE2AA-882C-4C01-9A0E-39E47D7AE8BD.jpeg

B25A77A6-BC6D-4552-BC77-438726C0FD2E.jpeg

318E560B-37E5-467E-83A8-0AE3F1BDFF0B.jpeg

B0F66937-CAD3-4D8C-AB8D-2C9EFE3F9143.jpeg

totally awesome!  the only thing missing is the log :omg:

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

• 4 months later...

brilliant build

Its all part of Kev's journey, bit like going to the dark side, but with the lights on

All the best

Kevin :omg:

SAY NO TO PIRACY. SUPPORT ORIGINAL IDEAS AND MANUFACTURERS.
KEEP IT REAL!

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

On the build table

HMS Indefatigable 1794 by Kevin - Vanguard Models - 1:64 - Feb 2023 

HMHS Britannic by Kevin 

SD 14  - Marcle Models - 1/70 - March 2022 -  Bluebell - Flower Class - Revel - 1/72   U552 German U Boat - Trumpeter - 1/48  Amerigo Vespucci     1/84 - Panart-   HMS Enterprise  -CAF -  1/48     

Finished     

St-Nectan-Mountfleet-models-steam-trawler-1/32 - Completed June 2020

HMS Victory - Caldercraft/Jotika - 1/72 - Finished   Dorade renamed Dora by Kevin - Amati - 1/20 - Completed March 2021 

Stage Coach 1848 - Artesania Latina - 1/10 -Finished Lady Eleanor by Kevin - FINISHED - Vanguard Models - 1/64 - Fifie fishing boat

• 1 month later...

I'm good with that.  I vote yes.

Ken

Started: MS Bounty Longboat,

On Hold:  Heinkel USS Choctaw paper

Down the road: Shipyard HMC Alert 1/96 paper, Mamoli Constitution Cross, MS USN Picket Boat #1

Scratchbuild: Echo Cross Section

Member Nautical Research Guild

That should make for a great display, Greg.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

That would make an interesting diorama - was it ever done?  Either way, an interesting addition to the model.

cheers

Pat

If at first you do not suceed, try, and then try again!
Current build: HMCSS Victoria (Scratch)

Next build: HMAS Vampire (3D printed resin, scratch 1:350)

Built:          Battle Station (Scratch) and HM Bark Endeavour 1768 (kit 1:64)

I have always been an admirer of ridged airships, so any diorama with one would be a plus to me.

Why not buy two and build a hanger with the airship being pulled out by all of the antlike people?  https://www.ebay.com/itm/294499193020?chn=ps&mkevt=1&mkcid=28 That would also show just how big these ships were without having to figure out how to make it look like it is flying over the ship.

Lou

Build logs: Colonial sloop Providence 1/48th scale kit bashed from AL Independence

Currant builds:

Constructo Brigantine Sentinel (Union) (On hold)

Minicraft 1/350 Titanic (For the Admiral)

1/350 Heavy Cruiser USS Houston (Resin)

Currant research/scratchbuild:

Schooner USS Lanikai/Hermes

Non ship build log:

1/35th UH-1H Huey