HM Cutter Mermaid 1817 by JamesBhm - Modellers Shipyard - Scale 1:48 - first build

Finished the forward aspect of the starboard inner bulwark, but also took some time tonight to play with photography...so here are a few gratuitous shots. I'm an amateur photographer and have been wanting to work on taking some better shots with the "good" camera. 

_DSC0077_01.JPG

_DSC0081_01.JPG

_DSC0103.JPG

• 5 weeks later...

Now for a build log within a build log. I’m actually ready to start the outer layer of hull planking, but I’ve had a hard time finding long chunks of time to sit down and work on it thoughtfully (and with a well-rested brain). I’ve needed something I could just putter with lately. According to King’s records, the Mermaid had a 14-foot jolly boat and two whale boats (about 20-21 foot, based on my calculations from his cross section drawing). They also shipped a "whaleboat in frame" in case of mishaps. I’m not fond of the boats that came with the kit. I had seen the Model Shipways plank-on-frame ship’s boat kits and I HAD to try one. A 14-foot boat translates to abut 3.5 inches so I ordered their 3 3/16” kit for a whopping USD$8.99. I’ve hesitated to post pics until I was sure it wasn’t a disaster (and it’s been close a couple of times). It could still go south, but here it is. It’s become known affectionately at the “wee fiddly boat.” The kit is lacking in some ways, but fascinating at the same time and definitely a nice little skill building challenge. I’ll end up painting the exterior but may leave the interior as stained/natural wood. It still needs a lot of work (additional ribs, rails, thwarts, floorboards, etc) but a nice little side diversion for a few minutes each evening. If I can finish it off in good shape I have in mind to try to scratch build the whaleboats using the same construction techniques. We’ll see.

21-1.JPG

21-2.JPG

21-3.JPG

21-4.JPG

21-5.JPG

21-6.JPG

21-7.JPG

21-8.JPG

I’m anticipating some uninterrupted build time this weekend and I really need to get moving on the outer layer of planking (which has me a little nervous). To that end, I worked this evening to wrap up the jolly boat build. Turns out it stained pretty well (even with wood filler), although I may still eventually paint the hull at least. I like the look of finished wood, but I also don’t want finished wood overkill on the final model. We’ll see how the aesthetics work out when I get further along. For now, I’m pretty pleased with the jolly boat considering it seemed like it was going off the rails at a couple of points. Not bad for a cheap kit with sketchy instructions. 

22-1.JPG

22-2.JPG

22-3.JPG

22-4.JPG

22-5.JPG

Edited by JamesBhm

• 4 weeks later...

I’m planking in earnest now. I started by “planking” the stem and keel pieces and fitting them to the hull.  The look isn’t as bad as I feared. The stem sortof looks like it was built from several large pieces of timber, just not quite….accurately. Oh well. I’ve put down four planks on the outer bulwark (including the outer aspect of my closed gunports. Fiddly and a pain!), plus the garboard strake and an adjacent strake along the keel. For the remainder of the planking, I’ll probably deviate from the kit instructions and follow the Chuck Passaro planking tutorials as best I can. Meanwhile, I’m struggling a bit adhesive-wise. I bought some contact cement (used in the kit DVDs), took one look and decided it looked like a goopy unworkable mess. Maybe I don’t have the right kind. For what I’ve done so far, I’ve used my same trusty wood glue with spots of CA in key spots to hold the plank in place as the wood glue dries. Not sure if this will continue to be workable as I make my way around the curves of the hull.

23-1.JPG

23-2.JPG

23-3.JPG

23-4.JPG

23-5.JPG

Edited by JamesBhm

Looks very nice James I have been using contact glue on mine , might pay for it later on when it comes to cleaning up.

I diluted mine with a bit of turps so that it was more runny and easier to clean as i go.

If you can, look for a cabinetmakers brushable grade. I would pass you some over but it is a bit far!

Cheers Chris

Edited by Cabbie

6 hours ago, Cabbie said:

I diluted mine with a bit of turps so that it was more runny and easier to clean as i go.

If you can, look for a cabinetmakers brushable grade.

Thanks Cabbie...good thoughts. The stuff I bought is the consistency of maple syrup and came with this awful applicator brush that reminded me of the ones we used in grade school for thick paste. Is the "grab" pretty instant with that stuff? I can see the value in having something fully adhering the plank (no edged curling up) but the idea of instant grab with any time to fiddle or adjust is daunting. 

Hi James, if you put your plank in place while it is still a bit wet you can move it around

into position, doesn't need much glue. Just keep an eye on it in case it moves. I use a very small art brush to apply glue.

Use some leftover bits and practice on something else.

When it is stuck it is done, push it flat and move on to the next. I sometimes do 2 or 4 in one go.

Hooroo Chris

Edited by Cabbie

Hi Chris, what's the name of the cabinetmakers glue you use? Nice looking finish on the swift :)

Cheers.........Fernando :cheers:

Current Builds - Colonial Brig Perseverance 1807 by Fernando E - Modellers Shipyard - 1:48 scale

Previous Builds - 

S Lucia by Fernando E - Panart - Scale 1:30

Sloop Norfolk 1798 by Fernando E - Modellers Shipyard - Scale 1:36 

Hello Fernando

The contact glue is a trade supplied brand, look for a brushable contact at the hardware store.

I'm not sure what they have but try for the brushable type. The gel types might dilute.

I also use a glue by Selleys called "interior quick set" pva which is good to use, from the hardware store.

I will update my Mermaid log tonight to show what i have been doing with the contact glue.

Cheers Chris

Many thanks Chris. Will scour Bunnings later today.

Cheers...... Fernando🍻

Current Builds - Colonial Brig Perseverance 1807 by Fernando E - Modellers Shipyard - 1:48 scale

Previous Builds - 

• 3 weeks later...

Hello James

That's some very nice planking work so far. Have you got anymore done and what did

you work out with the glues?

I have been thinking about the gun ports and the stem, thought I might try and give the stem

a proper look and  i was thinking of something for the bulwark planking.

Then I come in here and see what you have done and talked about with Rick.

So sorry James its going to look like i am copying what you have done.

Must have been where I got the ideas from.

One question for you. Does anyone know if P P King actually had cannons with him,

will help me decide about the gun ports?

Thanks Chris

One of the colour sketches he made clearly shows a gun barrel poking out of the aft gun port - just can't recall which sketch it was. 😕

edit:- https://silentworldfoundation.org.au/wp-content/uploads/2017/07/Signals-86_pp14-20-30-31-Mermaid-2.pdf  found it !

Rick

Edited by Rick01

Howdy Rick

Looking in here Page 12

http://acms.sl.nsw.gov.au/_transcript/2011/D13569/a4585.htm

it says it had 2 carronades when bought and since that drawing shows one in the stern,

then that is where mine will go.

Hi James sorry for intruding into your log and discussing things.

Thanks Chris

17 hours ago, Cabbie said:

James sorry for intruding into your log and discussing things.

Chris,

No intrusion at all. Discussion is absolutely welcome. I'm also following your build now. Maybe we can save Rick the trouble of having to repeat himself as we raise similar issues...ha. I also found the reference to two carronades and if you look at King's Careening Bay painting, you can see one of them on the beach. Looks like a carriage type rather than a slide. I bought two carronade barrels and plan to slightly modify the carriages that came with the kit. I've also got plans to make changes with the deck layout and fixtures. Curious to see if we're thinking along similar lines.

James

Screen Shot 2019-03-24 at 8.32.20 PM.png

Hi guys, I also noticed on page 12 "Iron Chain Cable of 70 fms" this answers something I'd never quite been sure of - cable or chain for the anchor. King's plan and one of his water colours shows what could either be a heavy cable or chain for the anchor, this tells me it would be an anchor chain.

Rick

Time to start attaching tapered outer planks. Last week I cut and tapered six planks for each side based on the Chuck Passaro planking tutorials rather than the kit instructions. I found the outer planking wood tricky to work with due to the grain (which is nice aesthetically, but does not always play nice with a blade and straight edge). I taped them all together and sanded for maximum consistency, then I took the plunge with the contact cement (my first attempt). A little tricky, but not nearly as bad as I thought it was going to be. Tip for other beginners: make sure you’re putting glue on the side of the planks corresponding to the side of the ship you put it on (funny how that works!). Placing the planks wasn’t difficult. I got 6 on each side pretty quickly. The bond wasn’t completely instantaneous and permanent until a little pressure was applied, which was a relief. The hull will definitely need some “post processing.” Where my tapers aren’t perfect I’ve got little slivers of light wood peeking through, but I can fill those spots. I’ve got a few spots of contact cement that I’m just rubbing and/or sanding off a bit, plus the junctures of a few planks need to be sanded smooth.

24-1.JPG

Hi James

The planking is looking good!

Cheers...............Fernando :cheers:

Previous Builds - 

3 hours ago, Fernando E said:

Hi James

The planking is looking good!

Cheers...............Fernando :cheers:

Thanks Fernando. It never hurts to pick the most forgiving photo! 

I just finished another run of 6 planks on each side and I'm feeling some frustration. I wasn't expecting perfection, but maybe not quite this many imperfections! I've got more hairline gaps and slightly uneven joints than I was hoping for, in part because the grain of the wood is just so splintery (even with sanding). Hopefully I can whip it into shape with a little TLC after all the planks are in place. It's been stressful!

I remember having the same problem. I eventually worked my way through all the supplied wood checking for the least splintery stuff then checking each piece before trimming it just to see which way it lay best on the ship. Probably discarded almost 25%. The discards could at least be used in short lengths.

Rick 

• 4 weeks later...

Good Evening James

How is the planking going, looking very good so far

Have you had a look at where the whales are to be placed. Just been looking

at mine and they will be cut in-between the gun ports. I don't know

if this is correct ship building or not.

The pics of the of the ship with the plans have them under the gun ports.

I think i should have cut my ports higher up.

Cheers Chris

16 hours ago, Cabbie said:

How is the planking going

Chris,

Honestly? It's giving me fits! I'm down to the key plank on either side and then some stealers. I'm not posting any photos until I can do some touch-up work. I've got a few buckles to touch up and seams to fill in a bit. Then I'll give it a light sand and touch up the stain. I'm eager to be past this part!

James

Edited by JamesBhm

Just a teaser pic for the moment. I completed the outer planking, and am now in "post-production." I used a chisel blade hobby knife and contact cement to re-glue some buckled areas that didn't adhere well. I'm mixing some wood filler with gel stain to color match my planks and touch up little gaps.  I'm also giving the whole things some sanding passes. Once I'm satisfied with that, I'll apply a final touch-up stain coat, a matte finish, and hopefully post some before, during, and after photos (unless it looks awful...in which case I'll close the log, change my name, and move to Mexico). I know my planking skills need work so I'm being very slow and painstaking in my touch-up efforts. 

IMG_2202.JPG

Hi James I have read this build upto date and Mermaid looks like she's going to be a nice little vessel. Unfortunately I have no tips to offer as I'm yet to start anything but hope to soon 

Happy modelling 

Current builds;

Henry Ramey Upcher 1:25

Providence whaleboat- 1:25     HMS Winchelsea 1764 1:48 

Completed:

HM Cutter Sherbourne- 1:64- finished    Triton cross section scratch- 1:60 - finished 

Non ship:  SBD-3 Dauntless 1:48 Hasegawa -FINISHED

Nah, Don't throw out the ship. Do it again.

I am seriously thinking about re-doing my deck,

some clumsy type around here has knock it around a bit'

and hit it with the drill bit a few times.

All in good Fun!!!!!!!!!!!!!

4 hours ago, Edwardkenway said:

Hi James I have read this build upto date and Mermaid looks like she's going to be a nice little vessel. Unfortunately I have no tips to offer as I'm yet to start anything but hope to soon 

Thanks for the words of encouragement! Once you get something started, I highly recommend opening a build log. I was a little unsure at first, but it's been worth it not only for the advice, but also encouragement and motivation.