RMS Titanic 1912 by drobinson02199 - FINISHED - Amati - Scale 1:250

Popeye:

It does get a filler, later on.  It consists of trapezoidal wedges of planking fitted into the semi-circle.  I've been taking care to shape the ends to create a smooth circle so I won't need too much wood filler once the wedges are in.

Regards,

David

David Robinson

Boston, MA area

Completed:  Constructo J.S. Elcano, Artesinia Latina Sanson, Dumas Mt. Washington, Bluejacket Nantucket, Amati Revenge, Artesania Latina  King of the Mississippi, 

Amati Grand Banks Heritage 46, Amati HMS Fly, Amati Titanic, Dumas Chris Craft Commuter, Mantua Cutty Sark, Mantua Bruma, Kolderstok Batavia, Vanguard Models HM Cutter Alert, Caldercraft HMS Victory, Dumas USCG Fast Response Cutter

Currently Building:  Amati Bismarck

Progress on first layer planking. 

For those of you who read the earlier posts on adjusting the shape of the bow frames:  in the second pic, you will see how the shape of the bow is coming out.  On the Amati pics of the model, the bow narrows sharply just where you see the blue tape on mine.  As you can see, mine with the adjusted frames begins narrowing a bit further forward, and the narrowing slope is more even.

Regards,

David

Plank 1.jpg

Plank 2.jpg

David Robinson

Boston, MA area

Completed:  Constructo J.S. Elcano, Artesinia Latina Sanson, Dumas Mt. Washington, Bluejacket Nantucket, Amati Revenge, Artesania Latina  King of the Mississippi, 

Amati Grand Banks Heritage 46, Amati HMS Fly, Amati Titanic, Dumas Chris Craft Commuter, Mantua Cutty Sark, Mantua Bruma, Kolderstok Batavia, Vanguard Models HM Cutter Alert, Caldercraft HMS Victory, Dumas USCG Fast Response Cutter

The center of the Titanic's hull is tub-shaped, so the center frames make a sharp turn from the side to the bottom (Pic 1).  The planks at 7mm wide would make bad wraparound on those frames (Pic 2).

The obvious answer was to cut the planks lengthwise, but I was concerned that those cuts wouldn't be even (too long for my planking vise) and therefore wouldn't butt well.  The solution was to split them partway with my knife (Pic 3) -- since only a part of one plank goes over the center frames, I could keep the rest unsplit.  That meant that I could mount them with the split edges mated and get a good curve, as shown in Pic 4.

Regards,

David

Tub Hull 1.jpg

Tub Hull 2.jpg

Tub Hull 3.jpg

Tub Hull 4.jpg

David Robinson

Boston, MA area

First hull planking completed -- see picture.

This was an interesting process with some "learning points" for me.  I decided to buy a sheet sander -- and it really worked well getting the hull planks smooth.  The problem was that it worked TOO well and some of the planks are now very thin.  I think my mistake was using the same grit (120) for the electric sander that I had started to use with my sanding block.  The electric sander is so efficient that a higher grit would have been better for the first sanding -- probably 180.

Nevertheless, it came out pretty well overall, and with some help from wood filler and a coat of varnish, it's done.  Now on to second planking.  I'm going to have to be careful when I use pins to align the second planking to make sure I'm going into thick enough planks.

Regards,

David

Hull First Planking.jpg

David Robinson

Boston, MA area

Addendum:  the other thing that happened is that I hit the end of the stern opening you can see and the rear half of the arc broke off.  So I glued on a short piece of planking and then shaped it with my rotary tool sander, and it came out looking pretty good.

All of which is to say that this step was full of pitfalls.

Regards,

David

David Robinson

Boston, MA area

Just curious- is the second planking intended to simulate the plating, or is that and additional step (or, not a step?)

looking really good!! 

~ Ben

___________________________________________________________________________________________________

Current Builds:

'Doll-Boat' - 1:12 scale 40' Cruising Sailboat

S.S. Edmund Fitzgerald - 1:350 plastic kit w/ Photo Etch Parts (On Hold)

Ben:

It's not a true second planking.  It's horizontal hull-length strips of wood, with spaces in between.  You can see the effect in the attached Amati picture.  The pattern you see on the red colored hull runs all the way up to the top of the hull on the black part too.

All of the pictures of the real Titanic are B&W, and the pattern isn't visible on the black hull (red is below the waterline).

The strips have to be cut from a sheet of ply using paper patterns, which should be a real trip.

Regards,

David

Titanic 5.JPG

David Robinson

Boston, MA area

Thanks! That makes sense. Looks like it will be a cool effect!

~ Ben

___________________________________________________________________________________________________

Current Builds:

'Doll-Boat' - 1:12 scale 40' Cruising Sailboat

S.S. Edmund Fitzgerald - 1:350 plastic kit w/ Photo Etch Parts (On Hold)

Guides for second planking strips installed on hull.

Regards,

David

Guides.jpg

David Robinson

Boston, MA area

Pic 1 shows the horizontal paper strips mounted on the thin plywood.  I used spray adhesive.  They are then cut out for mounting on the hull according to the guides pictured in my previous post.

The instructions call for mounting the strips with pins only (there are about 18 on each side), then outlining them in pencil, then removing them to remove the vertical guides, then gluing them on again.

I realized that the only reason for that two-step process is to get the vertical guides off the hull, and it occurred to me that I could just pencil mark their position, then remove them, and then mount the horizontal strips with glue in one step.  Pics 2-4 show the marking process, and it should save me a bunch of time.  I also hate pinning things as the pins come loose, or put holes in the wood that have to be filled, so this avoids that.

Pic 5 is the first strip I've cut out.  Strong sharp scissors work fine.  I'll post again when I have some strips glued on.

Regards,

David

Strips 1.jpg

Strips 2.jpg

Strips 3.jpg

Strips 4.jpg

Strips 5.jpg

David Robinson

Boston, MA area

Finished the strip mounting on one side.  It's tough to keep the lines straight when you cut out the strips, even using scissors.  The other issue is that as you cut the long strips, they curl up to clear your hand and the paper tends to separate.  I dealt with this by using small clips on the paper as I cut, but in some cases I had to re-glue them down using PVA.

The first picture shows all of the strips mounted.  My modified alignment process worked really well, and having done it this way I am really glad I avoided the two step process with pencil outlining as specified in the instructions.  That would have been really messy.

Where there were no portholes to be drilled, I was able to remove the paper before mounting, which was fairly easy.

The instructions save porthole drilling for later (until both sides done), but I was concerned that when I flip this over in my foam cradle the friction as I work on the other side would pull off some of the paper (which marks the porthole and hawse hole locations), so I went ahead and drilled the portholes and filed the hawse and scuppers, and then removed the paper.  After some trial and error, I found that the best way to remove the paper is like wallpaper removal, using my steamer continuously along the strip while running the back side of my knife (like a smooth chisel) along the strip.  Second pic shows the strips with portholes drilled & paper off.

There is some more finish sanding to be done on these, but I want to be careful, as the strips are very thin.

Regards,

David

Hull Strips.jpg

Portholes Drilled.jpg

David Robinson

Boston, MA area

I was able to cut another step from side 2 strips.  The instructions have you carefully cutting the strips, then pasting them onto the thin ply, then carefully cutting them out again on those outlines.  I realized that I only have to be careful the second time, so I did a rough cut of the strips (so they would all fit onto the plywood sheet), and then pasted them on as shown.  Was able to paste some sets of 3-5 strips intact.

Took about 15 minutes all in, vs. maybe 90 minutes the other way.  Now I'll cut carefully.

Regards,

David

Side 2 Strips.jpg

David Robinson

Boston, MA area

Chris:

On the starboard side, I used one layer of spray adhesive, and found that I had to hold the paper on with clips while cutting as any bending caused it to begin to loosen in spots.  For the upper strips where the paper had to stay on for porthole drilling, I had to reinforce it with paper glue in order to cut it, and that in turn meant using my steamer and the back edge of my knife to peel it off.  The lower strips came off easily before gluing as they were ready to.

For this side (port), I have used a double layer of spray adhesive.  I have cut out one strip already, and it held much better -- so I'll now see later how easy it is to get off.  I did notice that this approach of leaving wide borders is much better and leads to much cleaner and straighter edges on the strips.

Regards,

David

David Robinson

Boston, MA area

Second side strips now on.  The approach of not cutting the paper strips precisely until they are glued onto the plywood worked much better.  It's hard to keep a straight edge when cutting paper only, but when cutting the thin plywood it's very easy to get a straight edge.  You can't see it in the picture, but this side looks much more even and finished than the other one.  Fortunately, it's my planned "display side."

Regards,

David

Side 2.jpg

David Robinson

Boston, MA area

Chris:

I think I understand your question.  For the strips not yet glued where I can remove the paper, I just slip a knife under it and slowly pry it up.  The spray adhesive loosens and it peels up.  The few remaining spots then sand off.

For this second side, I found that this worked for most of the other strips glued to the hull as well, and then I had to go back to the steamer.

I think spray adhesive works well for this.  When I used PVA glue on side 1 to strengthen things, the paper was much harder to get off and I had to use the steamer all the way.

Regards,

David

David Robinson

Boston, MA area

Hey thanks David. Yes that is exactly what I wanted to know. Does it say anything in the instructions about gluing on and then later removing those paper guides? This is a quite expensive model that probably is bought by mainly experienced builders like yourself who wouldn't get caught out at this stage, but if a novice did buy it and glue the paper on too well it could turn nasty. I reckon, just like the dodgy false bulkheads you had to fix, this is another stage Amati needs to address.

Cheers

Chris

Chris:

Yes, the instructions are pretty clear about it.  What they say is "paper glue" -- whatever that is.  I was originally going to use diluted PVA, which is what I used for the decorations, but I thought about it and felt that PVA would make the paper too hard to remove, so I used spray adhesive which is like rubber cement, but easier to apply uniformly.  On side one I only used one spray coat, and the paper slipped off as I cut it, so I initially reinforced it with undiluted PVA (which was a bear to get off), but then started using clips while cutting the strips where I could remove the paper.

On side 2 I sprayed two coats (wet -- one right on top of the other), and that solved the slipping issues, but some of it was harder to remove.  The steamer fixed that.

What Amati doesn't specify is HOW you are supposed to remove the paper.  So that's up to the modeler to figure out.  It all gets painted, so the color marks that sanded paper leave on won't matter as long as it's smooth.

I suppose that the alternative would be to laser cut all the strips, but then there would still be the challenge of getting the portholes drilled exactly, which is what the paper strips on the first 4 rows do.

Regards,

David

David Robinson

Boston, MA area

Next deck cabins built and decorated.

Regards,

David

Deck Cabins 1.jpg

Deck Cabins 2.jpg

David Robinson

Boston, MA area

i am very impressed by the way this build is going together, please keep up the good work

Its all part of Kev's journey, bit like going to the dark side, but with the lights on

All the best

Kevin :omg:

SAY NO TO PIRACY. SUPPORT ORIGINAL IDEAS AND MANUFACTURERS.
KEEP IT REAL!

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

On the build table

HMS Indefatigable 1794 by Kevin - Vanguard Models - 1:64 - Feb 2023 

HMHS Britannic by Kevin 

SD 14  - Marcle Models - 1/70 - March 2022 -  Bluebell - Flower Class - Revel - 1/72   U552 German U Boat - Trumpeter - 1/48  Amerigo Vespucci     1/84 - Panart-   HMS Enterprise  -CAF -  1/48     

Finished     

St-Nectan-Mountfleet-models-steam-trawler-1/32 - Completed June 2020

HMS Victory - Caldercraft/Jotika - 1/72 - Finished   Dorade renamed Dora by Kevin - Amati - 1/20 - Completed March 2021 

Stage Coach 1848 - Artesania Latina - 1/10 -Finished Lady Eleanor by Kevin - FINISHED - Vanguard Models - 1/64 - Fifie fishing boat

I've added the top deck now on top of the cabins.  A couple of notes.

Inexplicably, the instructions say to mount the deck on the ship before planking, which would just make everything harder in terms of trimming at the edges and for the ladder holes.

This is the first large deck that will actually be visible, so while I just used full-length planks on the earlier ones, on this one I decided to add some staggered planking.  But the center of the deck is covered, so I measured that (Picture 1) and then used full length in the center, moving to 40mm staggered on the outer edges.  (Pics 2 & 3).  The uneven parts near the center actually won't show because I erred on the conservative side for the center area -- it took me some time to figure out how best to do this.  I started with 40mm pre-cut pieces, which didn't work very well.  I then changed to gluing on full length planks and scoring them against measured lines, which worked better.

Pic 4 is the full model so far.

Regards,

David

A Deck 1.jpg

A Deck 2.jpg

A Deck 3.jpg

A Deck 4.jpg

David Robinson

Boston, MA area

Chris:

It's approaching, but I think there is about 1-2 weeks' work left before I get to that point.

Regards,

David

David Robinson

Boston, MA area

although a ocean going liner there is not a lot of clear deck area without the clutter of vents etc was there?

Its all part of Kev's journey, bit like going to the dark side, but with the lights on

All the best

Kevin :omg:

SAY NO TO PIRACY. SUPPORT ORIGINAL IDEAS AND MANUFACTURERS.
KEEP IT REAL!

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

On the build table

HMS Indefatigable 1794 by Kevin - Vanguard Models - 1:64 - Feb 2023 

HMHS Britannic by Kevin 

SD 14  - Marcle Models - 1/70 - March 2022 -  Bluebell - Flower Class - Revel - 1/72   U552 German U Boat - Trumpeter - 1/48  Amerigo Vespucci     1/84 - Panart-   HMS Enterprise  -CAF -  1/48     

Finished     

St-Nectan-Mountfleet-models-steam-trawler-1/32 - Completed June 2020

HMS Victory - Caldercraft/Jotika - 1/72 - Finished   Dorade renamed Dora by Kevin - Amati - 1/20 - Completed March 2021 

Stage Coach 1848 - Artesania Latina - 1/10 -Finished Lady Eleanor by Kevin - FINISHED - Vanguard Models - 1/64 - Fifie fishing boat

Kevin:

That's right.  On the large deck section I show above, pretty much just the two bands on either side, and there is "stuff" that shows up on those.

Regards,

David

David Robinson

Boston, MA area

Some progress on different items:

1. Picture 1 is the bilge keels -- below the blue arrow.
  2. Picture 2 is 4 small decks that will be on top of the large one.
  3. Picture 3 is the stack subassembly, partially completed showing how the planking works for the side.
  4. Picture 4 is a completed stack, ready for varnish and ultimately painting.

Regards,

David

Bilge Keel.jpg

4 Small Decks.jpg

Stack Subassembly.jpg

Stack.jpg

David Robinson

Boston, MA area

Really enjoying this one - it's a whole different ball game than building a tall ship.

Current Build - St. Roch, Billing Boats; HMS Agamemnon, Caldercraft (on hold)

Previous Builds - Armed Virginia Sloop, Model Shipways; Constitution, Model Shipways; Rattlesnake, Mamoli; Virginia Privateer, Marine Model Co, restoration; Prince de Neufchatel, Model Shipways; Charles W. Morgan, Model Shipways; Pride of Baltimore II, Model Shipways, Bluenose, Model Shipways (x2); Niagara, Model Shipways; Mayfower, Model Shipways; Shamrock V, Amati; HMS Pegasus, Victory/Amati