Old Collingwood

Black Pearl by Old Collingwood - 1/72 Scale

Good day all  another good day  - I decided to make the footropes on the lower foreyard, I know they have one support in the middle each side, and as I wanted this to be straight and hang down correctly,  so I tried some fine fuse wire  - I wrapped this arround the yard then twisted it together in tight twists and left the two end loose,  I then attached som fine thread around the opposing side of the yard,  then twisted the ends of the fuse wire around the thread  and tied the ends and dabbed some ca to lock it.

I made sure it had some sag and touched up the fuse wire  - I think it looks ok.

OC.

DSC00014 (2).JPG

DSC00016.JPG

DSC00019.JPG

I have also been working on the main - foremast upper stay, I constructed the two double blocks and lashed them in the center  - then I lashed the stay around the foremast tops  and fitted the blocks,   It will be swung around and attached to the rest of the stay when the mainmast upper section is made and fitted.

OC.

DSC00018.JPG

12 hours ago, pontiachedmark said:

Gidday O.C.

I had faith in you overcoming your temporary malaise.

She sure is looking good.

I also hope your dental situation improves.

Wishing you and your family all the best.

Mark.

Thank you sincerely mark,   yep mouth is on the mend slowly.

OC.

25 minutes ago, Old Collingwood said:

Nothing much really  - just  making another yard including the lift blocks and foot rope supports made form fuse wire.

OC.

DSC00020.JPG

Nice work, OC.

Where do you acquire your fuse wire? I love keeping stuff like that fuse wire on hand...it always comes in handy for modeling projects. 

I often strip all the wires out of old appliances and computers to later strip away the insulation and use the stranded wire inside for similar things as you are doing here.

5 minutes ago, CDW said:

Nice work, OC.

Where do you acquire your fuse wire? I love keeping stuff like that fuse wire on hand...it always comes in handy for modeling projects. 

I often strip all the wires out of old appliances and computers to later strip away the insulation and use the stranded wire inside for similar things as you are doing here.

We have a household store over here called Wilko  down the tool section they have plugs - extention leeds  and little cards of fuse wire that comes in three ratings, I use the thinest  think its 3amp.

OC.

23 hours ago, Old Collingwood said:

We have a household store over here called Wilko  down the tool section they have plugs - extention leeds  and little cards of fuse wire that comes in three ratings, I use the thinest  think its 3amp.

OC.

Around here, those little local household stores have closed their doors, particularly the ones owned by moms and pops. 

Except for (maybe) the stores we once had called "Radio Shack", I don't ever recall seeing fuse wire for sale in a store in my area. 

1 hour ago, CDW said:

Around here, those little local household stores have closed their doors, particularly the ones owned by moms and pops. 

Except for (maybe) the stores we once had called "Radio Shack", I don't ever recall seeing fuse wire for sale in a store in my area. 

Do you have any home decorating stores?   that sell D.I.Y.  tools and materials  paints/paper etc, they  should sell fuse wire pack   or even Ebay.

OC.

Evening all,    a massive thanks to all the commens and likes and for all who follow my piraty adventure,     I left you all with a top foreyard made on my mat,  so next off I added a few coats of paint - then I glued and lashed it to the upper mast,    after  I  connected up the lift ropes then fed them down and tied/glued them to the forecastle bits.

OC.

DSC00021.JPG

DSC00023.JPG

DSC00024.JPG

Good day all,   many thanks for all the looks and follows,   I picked up where I left off on the foremast top section  - I fitted the top yard footrope then timmed the ends, next off  I fitted the blocks to the topgallant yard then gave it a few coats of paint, then I attached it to the topgallant mast in the lowered position - it was than lashed and added a few dabs of ca to set it.

I then made up somemore lift ropes - smoothed out the frays with watery pva,  then I worked the rope from the top through the other ropes and down to the other tied off ropes on the bits,   this was repeated both sides - then a footrope was fitted.

A few pics folks  -

OC.

DSC00026.JPG

DSC00029.JPG

DSC00028.JPG

Edited by Old Collingwood

Abit more work done  - I fitted some blocks at the ends of the mainformast yard, then made two sections of rope smoothing out the frays again using watery pva  - then I ran the rope from a lashed end on the yard ends and through the blocks on the mainmast tops  down to each bulwark handrail  where they where looped then lashed around two inner bulwark fittings and then cut off with a dab of ca.

OC.

DSC00030.JPG

DSC00036.JPG

some really great progress here OC,  although I think you might want to do the braces later.......these might get in the way ;)  she's look'in very good!

sorry to hear of your mouth problems.......I can sympathize with you.   I was the same.......I used to steer clear from dentists.  if I told you what the last dentist I saw did to me,  you'd fell the same way too.  I even pulled a few myself,  just so I wouldn't have to go.  the last couple of years though,  it became apparent that having them all pulled was my only option left......I began to develop abscesses and get sick.  this last bout,  caused me to go finally,  and I couldn't have found a better guy....Dr. Beshay was fantastic......I not only didn't feel a thing....but he didn't screw around like the others!  I found out,  that all the others fed me a bunch of bull......it was just an all around great experience.  I'm still waiting to get the final fitting,  but I now have dentures......best thing I ever done!  I don't like the adhesives,  so eating with them is a bit harder to get used to,  but I've been assigned to another dental tech,  that is using a different type of fitting material,  that helps to keep them in place.  it's been so awesome to eat the foods that I couldn't eat before.  sweet tooth...........bud,  Captain Crunch was my staple for breakfast  :D    I started this journey back in October.........today,  there are time I forget I have them in place!  I won't lie........they cost me a fair bit of cash.........but I feel so much better,  and I'm back to gnawing on pork chop bones again :) 

I hope something comes for you with your situation...I hate to see friends suffer :( 

2 hours ago, popeye the sailor said:

some really great progress here OC,  although I think you might want to do the braces later.......these might get in the way ;)  she's look'in very good!

sorry to hear of your mouth problems.......I can sympathize with you.   I was the same.......I used to steer clear from dentists.  if I told you what the last dentist I saw did to me,  you'd fell the same way too.  I even pulled a few myself,  just so I wouldn't have to go.  the last couple of years though,  it became apparent that having them all pulled was my only option left......I began to develop abscesses and get sick.  this last bout,  caused me to go finally,  and I couldn't have found a better guy....Dr. Beshay was fantastic......I not only didn't feel a thing....but he didn't screw around like the others!  I found out,  that all the others fed me a bunch of bull......it was just an all around great experience.  I'm still waiting to get the final fitting,  but I now have dentures......best thing I ever done!  I don't like the adhesives,  so eating with them is a bit harder to get used to,  but I've been assigned to another dental tech,  that is using a different type of fitting material,  that helps to keep them in place.  it's been so awesome to eat the foods that I couldn't eat before.  sweet tooth...........bud,  Captain Crunch was my staple for breakfast  :D    I started this journey back in October.........today,  there are time I forget I have them in place!  I won't lie........they cost me a fair bit of cash.........but I feel so much better,  and I'm back to gnawing on pork chop bones again :) 

I hope something comes for you with your situation...I hate to see friends suffer :( 

Thank you kindly denis,   yep dentist has always been my weak point - so suffering for it now,  were we live there is just the one dentist within a ten mile radius  and no transport  (also I suffer from an axiety condition making public transport - not possible)   I asked are local dentist to please help me under our welfare situation where work can be paid for under low money situations, but he has told me he only does private work - thats just wll beyond our means.

I will just have to manage it the best I can that means keeping my mouth constantly sterilised with special mouth washes and I also use salt water a few times each day,   the pain level is better at the moment  gums are still very tender, have to watch what I eat  - hard things are a no no.

Still I have my modeling.

OC.