Black Pearl by Old Collingwood - FINISHED - 1/72 Scale

How advanced? :P  Ok.. seriously, hit me with a PM.  Depending on the problem, I do know a few around here who might be able to help.  Need make of the 'puter, OS, and what it's doing or not doing.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

What seems to be the problem OC ?

The clerk of the cheque's yacht of sheerness

Current build HMS Sirius (1797) 1:48 scratch POF from NMM plans

HMS Winchelsea by chuck 1:48

Cutter cheerful by chuck 1:48

Previous builds-

Elidir - Thames steam barge

Cutty Sark-Billings boats

Wasa - billings boats

Among others 😁

8 hours ago, CDW said:

There are some issues (again) with Microsoft automatic patch updates. It's a real pain in the rear. Seems like this happens all the time with Microsoft updates no matter what version.

The part of the problem is that MS shut down it's testing department. Now the customers (you and I and NOT the corporate ones) do the testing. This has been really a problem with Win10 as it's still not mature.  Win7 seems to have less problems but stuff is still going live that should never have left the test department.

Mark

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

I agree with W7 being a superior platform in MANY ways and it never seemed to fail to do what I wanted done. But this year I was forced to replace my personal computer and of course it was only available in W10. I could have formatted everything and retrofitted 7 but resigned myself to really learning 10 instead of having to relearn some of the functions every time the kids needed help with their laptops. (My wife, like me was/is running on 7. She is not the last in the house, at least on her downstairs computer) 

The thing I hate the most about 10 even after all this time, (Several months) is that from time to time their updates change the way I like to do things to the way THEY want it done! This can even sometimes include my lock screen and desktop! It is VERY irritating to say the least.:angry:

Lou

Build logs: Colonial sloop Providence 1/48th scale kit bashed from AL Independence

Currant builds:

Constructo Brigantine Sentinel (Union) (On hold)

Minicraft 1/350 Titanic (For the Admiral)

1/350 Heavy Cruiser USS Houston (Resin)

Currant research/scratchbuild:

Schooner USS Lanikai/Hermes

Non ship build log:

1/35th UH-1H Huey

1 hour ago, mtaylor said:

The part of the problem is that MS shut down it's testing department. Now the customers (you and I and NOT the corporate ones) do the testing. This has been really a problem with Win10 as it's still not mature.  Win7 seems to have less problems but stuff is still going live that should never have left the test department.

They can do this because they have crushed any viable competition. Yes, I know there are other operating system possibilities out there, but the masses are not computer engineers. 

1 hour ago, CDW said:

...there are other operating system possibilities out there, but the masses are not computer engineers. 

In my opinion, the bigger restriction is whether or not the software which you wish to run has a Linux option. There are highly usable Linux options (again assuming that you can run your software), you don’t really have to do a lot on the command line and if you need/want to it’s usually a quick search away.

Edit: Of course this is straying well beyond the bounds of a build log; but if you have any interest in looking at other options feel free to send me a PM. 

Edited by VTHokiEE

5 hours ago, paulsutcliffe said:

What seems to be the problem OC ?

BSOD  (Blue screen of death)   it happened after a NET Framework update and install  to the most recent 4.7.2  (my os is win 7 Pro 64bit,  I think some parts in the update conflicted and did not have the digital signiture causing the start up issue.

My system restore has always had an issue and would never complete  leaving me with an unaltered  set up and error notice.

This is the  BSOD  warning message  -

STOP: c000021a  (Fatal system error)
The Session Manager failed to create protected prefixes system process terminated  unexpectedly with a status of 0xc000003a (0x00000000 0x00000000).
The system has been shut down.

And this is the error message I get after trying to do a system restore  -

System restore failed to extract the original copy of the directory from the restore point.
Source:  %SystemRoot&\registration
Destination: ComPlusStaggin

I have tried all the diagnostic set up from the ones in the laptop  to the Tweaking tool that is supposed to fix any errors.

The only way I can get windows to open is to go into the F8 boot menu  and choose the  bottom setting that overides the singing  procedure.

Its a real pain and not sure if I am damaging the laptop doing it that way.

OC.

Current builds  

28mm  Battle of Waterloo   attack on La Haye Saint   Diorama.

1/700  HMS Hood   Flyhawk   with  PE, Resin  and Wood Decking.

Completed works.

Dragon 1/700 HMS Edinburgh type 42 batch 3 Destroyer plastic.

HMS Warspite Academy 1/350 plastic kit and wem parts.

HMS Trafalgar Airfix 1/350 submarine  plastic.

Black Pearl  1/72  Revell   with  pirate crew.

Revell  1/48  Mosquito  B IV

Eduard  1/48  Spitfire IX

ICM    1/48   Seafire Mk.III   Special Conversion

1/48  Kinetic  Sea Harrier  FRS1

11 hours ago, CDW said:

There are some issues (again) with Microsoft automatic patch updates. It's a real pain in the rear. Seems like this happens all the time with Microsoft updates no matter what version.

Tell me about it mate   - I have had nothing but troubles with every windows laptop I have owned over  more than ten years.

OC.

Current builds  

Completed works.

2 hours ago, lmagna said:

I agree with W7 being a superior platform in MANY ways and it never seemed to fail to do what I wanted done. But this year I was forced to replace my personal computer and of course it was only available in W10. I could have formatted everything and retrofitted 7 but resigned myself to really learning 10 instead of having to relearn some of the functions every time the kids needed help with their laptops. (My wife, like me was/is running on 7. She is not the last in the house, at least on her downstairs computer) 

The thing I hate the most about 10 even after all this time, (Several months) is that from time to time their updates change the way I like to do things to the way THEY want it done! This can even sometimes include my lock screen and desktop! It is VERY irritating to say the least.:angry:

Fully agree with you lou  - they have too much control in 10  I understand you can not turn off updates in ten either meaning microsoft can install what they want.

OC.

Current builds  

Completed works.

25 minutes ago, VTHokiEE said:

In my opinion, the bigger restriction is whether or not the software which you wish to run has a Linux option. There are highly usable Linux options (again assuming that you can run your software), you don’t really have to do a lot on the command line and if you need/want to it’s usually a quick search away.

Edit: Of course this is straying well beyond the bounds of a build log; but if you have any interest in looking at other options feel free to send me a PM. 

Its ok,  my laptop and build are integral  so equally important.

OC.

Current builds  

Completed works.

40 minutes ago, Old Collingwood said:

BSOD  (Blue screen of death)   it happened after a NET Framework update and install  to the most recent 4.7.2  (my os is win 7 Pro 64bit,  I think some parts in the update conflicted and did not have the digital signiture causing the start up issue.

I had the same problem with blue screens when I ran W7, when I switched to W10, the problems were solved and having a new OS I had many updates and repairs ..

Also,I don't know if you guys know but by January 20, 2020 Windows 7 stops receiving support and updates.

Edited by Captain Poison

Completed.... Charles W. Morgan,Sea Horse,USS Constitution,Virginia 1819,San Fransisco II, AL HMS Bounty 1:48

L'Herminione 1:96

Spanish Frigate,22 cannons 18th C. 1:35 scale.Scratch-built (Hull only)

Cutter Cheefull 1806 1:48 (with modifications)

Current Project: Orca (This is a 35" replica of the Orca boat from the movie Jaws)

Wow, I have been reading through your build for the last few months silently and just got to the beginning of your hardship. I feel bad for you and wish some good fortune your way. Us modelers can stick together through thick and thin.

It sounds like you are in good hands regarding your laptop, good luck.

Edited by SigEp Ziggy

1 hour ago, Captain Poison said:

I had the same problem with blue screens when I ran W7, when I switched to W10, the problems were solved and having a new OS I had many updates and repairs ..

Also,I don't know if you guys know but by January 20, 2020 Windows 7 stops receiving support and updates.

I am digging my heels in and not wanting to go over to windows 10, my way of thinking was/is  if I have a good working version of 7  good firewalls and anti virus  and dont update it,   then there should be no need to go over to 10.

OC.

Current builds  

Completed works.

22 minutes ago, SigEp Ziggy said:

Wow, I have been read through your build the last few months silently and just got to the beginning of your hardship. I feel bad for you and wish some good fortune your way. Us modelers can stick together through thick and thin.

It sounds like you are in good hands regarding your laptop, good luck.

Thank you kindly for that.

OC.

Current builds  

Completed works.

OC,

I sent you a PM on the problem.  It's fixable per the link I  sent.  Option 1 would be what I would try.  Worse case is, it'll need to go to a repair shop but it's not a difficult fix so it probably shouldn't cost too much.

5 hours ago, VTHokiEE said:

Linux is good but depending on the flavor, it can be a "hair-puller) to set up.  I have a PC with Linux but there's program that I use that won't run on Linux so I"m waiting for a "fix' from the program company which they've promised.

4 hours ago, Captain Poison said:

Win10 does have issues due to the way they feed out their un-tested updates to any other than paid-corporate accounts.  And... the problems seem to be scattered for some reason in that they seldom hit everyone.

As for Win7... it will continue to security updates much as XP did and occasionally still does.    Which from where I sit looking at all the Win10 problems, they take my Win7 only from my cold, dead hands.  ;)

As for continuing this, I suggest that OC open a topic in Shore Leave for more help.

Mark

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:

12 hours ago, Captain Poison said:

Doesn't matter, you can still use it, just be careful to keep your antivirus up to date. I'm still running XP with no issues including no security issues.  My wife's Win 7 system has not received any updates since MS tricked the world into installing the Win 10  upgrade.  Backing the upgrade off screwed up the update installer and now you cannot even manually install updates. Nor can we restore it to the last backup point. So her laptop will remain Win 7 and mine will remain XP until the hardware becomes unrepairable. Then I will replace both of them with an Abacus   

Edited by Jack12477

Hi Jack

I had the same thing happen to my Windows 7/Dell at about the same time and ended up having to go through all of the update history and delete them all the way back to the oldest failed update, I forgot which one it was, but it was a ways back. Then I let it update again and kept looking for updates manually until it was fully up to date. It was a LONG and drawn out boring process but it restored my computer's ability to perform automatic updates in W7. 

Edited by lmagna

Lou

Build logs: Colonial sloop Providence 1/48th scale kit bashed from AL Independence

Currant builds:

Constructo Brigantine Sentinel (Union) (On hold)

Minicraft 1/350 Titanic (For the Admiral)

1/350 Heavy Cruiser USS Houston (Resin)

Currant research/scratchbuild:

Schooner USS Lanikai/Hermes

Non ship build log:

1/35th UH-1H Huey

OC if you still have problems let me know. You know how to reach me.

Mark, you can run W7 or even XP on a virtual machine under Linux too, you just need enough memory on the virtual to run programs which require a lot of memory

Carl

"Desperate affairs require desperate measures." Lord Nelson
Search and you might find a log ...

Morning/afternoon/evening all,

Well im still playing the frustration game with this laptop (like a car that struggles to start and takes several attamepts then dies part way through)   anyway  -  I had intended to do a bit more on the pearl today as I want to finish her befor my 100th:36:   however  - I spent most of the day  chasing up  the store we had our washing machine from, as the door seal  has broke (again  twice in 14 months):angry:   anyway  end result  they are fixing it F.O.C  despite it being out of warrantee, as the last repair was not done correctly  (thier wording)   just have to wait till next friday  so please not complaints of he smelly cloths.

Was a lot worst in my old old old days  - OC ;)

Thanks for sticking with my friends  - I knw I have goe off tagent a bit.......

OC.

Edited by Old Collingwood

Current builds  

Completed works.

That is great news on the washer, OC.   Sounds like you got the break you needed.

Mark

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:

6 minutes ago, mtaylor said:

That is great news on the washer, OC.   Sounds like you got the break you needed.

Thanks mark,   took abit of pleading to thier better nature  - but yeah  bit of good news for a change.

OC.

Current builds  

Completed works.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi all,

I managed to get on the pearl at the table today, firstly I decided to strengthen the stays  by pulling back on the mizzen, firstly I ran a stay from the mizzen tops and back down bulkhead  - this was tied of and darkened to match the same shade as the other stays,    I was then going to contiue  making the rats for the upper mainmast.

But I  had to stop  as I have developed pain well more like a  tingling  and hot and cold sensation in my right hand, I will have to learn to build using my teeth (LOL).

So that was it  no pics as my mobile cell phone camera is sick at the moment and doesn't want to take pics  - poor thing it is over ten years old.

OC.

Current builds  

Completed works.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi all,   some good progress  today  - I went and dusted the pearl, as there was a layer of dust on her  and she was crying out,   - thats it   (told you there was good progress)😋

But!   in the meantime   I have been creating this  - 

OC.🎹:dancetl6:

Current builds  

Completed works.

• 2 months later...

I'm  Back:dancetl6:

I recharged my batt's  and found my mojo   - I decided  to  get out on the table  just what I needed  to continue on the Pearl,   this wasn't much just a few tools  etc,   I  got  the pearl  out of the display case  (still  with a layer of dust - but guess that adds to her ghostly look).

After checking were I add left off  - I picked up with the rats  going up the main tops, this I did both sides  - same procedure  of fine sowing thread  wrapped round each then a dab of ca  before trimming each end.

I then moved on to the main  top shroud  rats  starting  both sides.

It  actually didn't  feel that different  and I picked up quite easily.

Its good to be back.:cheers:

OC.

DSC00027.JPG

DSC00030.JPG

DSC00033.JPG

DSC00034.JPG

DSC00035.JPG

DSC00041.JPG

Edited by Old Collingwood

Current builds  

Completed works.

Good to see you back at it!  The Pearl is looking awesome!

Edited by GrandpaPhil

Building: 1:64 HMS Revenge (Victory Models plans)

1:64 Cat Esther (17th Century Dutch Merchant Ships)

On the building slip: 1:72 French Ironclad Magenta (original shipyard plans)

On hold: 1:98 Mantua HMS Victory (kit bash), 1:96 Shipyard HMS Mercury

Favorite finished builds:  1:60 Sampang Good Fortune (Amati plans), 1:200 Orel Ironclad Solferino, 1:72 Schooner Hannah (Hahn plans), 1:72 Privateer Prince de Neufchatel (Chapelle plans), Model Shipways Sultana, Heller La Reale, Encore USS Olympia

Goal: Become better than I was yesterday

"The hardest part is deciding to try." - me

2 minutes ago, GrandpaPhil said:

Good to see you back at it!  The Pearl is looking awesome!

Thank you sincerely phil.

OC.

Current builds  

Completed works.

hello my friend, glad to see you back at the bench, hope you and family are well, the pearl looks great

Its all part of Kev's journey, bit like going to the dark side, but with the lights on

All the best

Kevin :omg:

SAY NO TO PIRACY. SUPPORT ORIGINAL IDEAS AND MANUFACTURERS.
KEEP IT REAL!

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

On the build table

HMS Indefatigable 1794 by Kevin - Vanguard Models - 1:64 - Feb 2023 

HMHS Britannic by Kevin 

SD 14  - Marcle Models - 1/70 - March 2022 -  Bluebell - Flower Class - Revel - 1/72   U552 German U Boat - Trumpeter - 1/48  Amerigo Vespucci     1/84 - Panart-   HMS Enterprise  -CAF -  1/48     

Finished     

St-Nectan-Mountfleet-models-steam-trawler-1/32 - Completed June 2020

HMS Victory - Caldercraft/Jotika - 1/72 - Finished   Dorade renamed Dora by Kevin - Amati - 1/20 - Completed March 2021 

Stage Coach 1848 - Artesania Latina - 1/10 -Finished Lady Eleanor by Kevin - FINISHED - Vanguard Models - 1/64 - Fifie fishing boat

11 minutes ago, Kevin said:

hello my friend, glad to see you back at the bench, hope you and family are well, the pearl looks great

Thank you kevin.

OC.

Current builds  

Completed works.