Black Pearl by Old Collingwood - FINISHED - 1/72 Scale

Its all part of Kev's journey, bit like going to the dark side, but with the lights on

All the best

Kevin :omg:

SAY NO TO PIRACY. SUPPORT ORIGINAL IDEAS AND MANUFACTURERS.
KEEP IT REAL!

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

On the build table

HMS Indefatigable 1794 by Kevin - Vanguard Models - 1:64 - Feb 2023 

HMHS Britannic by Kevin 

SD 14  - Marcle Models - 1/70 - March 2022 -  Bluebell - Flower Class - Revel - 1/72   U552 German U Boat - Trumpeter - 1/48  Amerigo Vespucci     1/84 - Panart-   HMS Enterprise  -CAF -  1/48     

Finished     

St-Nectan-Mountfleet-models-steam-trawler-1/32 - Completed June 2020

HMS Victory - Caldercraft/Jotika - 1/72 - Finished   Dorade renamed Dora by Kevin - Amati - 1/20 - Completed March 2021 

Stage Coach 1848 - Artesania Latina - 1/10 -Finished Lady Eleanor by Kevin - FINISHED - Vanguard Models - 1/64 - Fifie fishing boat

20 minutes ago, Kevin said:

brasso e wapparantly is ok for glass, but im surprised it was damaged that much just using the wrong side of a sponge

Yep  it was a fresh sponge with the brasive other side  - I too didn't expect it to scratch glass,    what do you think will be best  brasso or rouge,  it would have to be available in out of town as we are limited here for DIY places.

OC.

Current builds  

28mm  Battle of Waterloo   attack on La Haye Saint   Diorama.

1/700  HMS Hood   Flyhawk   with  PE, Resin  and Wood Decking.

Completed works.

Dragon 1/700 HMS Edinburgh type 42 batch 3 Destroyer plastic.

HMS Warspite Academy 1/350 plastic kit and wem parts.

HMS Trafalgar Airfix 1/350 submarine  plastic.

Black Pearl  1/72  Revell   with  pirate crew.

Revell  1/48  Mosquito  B IV

Eduard  1/48  Spitfire IX

ICM    1/48   Seafire Mk.III   Special Conversion

1/48  Kinetic  Sea Harrier  FRS1

Wallace has a good idea - try using toothpaste.  I`ve used it on plastic & can get a mirror finish.  Way back when I built plastic car kits I would polish the plastic body parts with toothpaste & it would look better than paint.

Mark

current build - HMS Vanguard - Model Shipways

12 minutes ago, marktiedens said:

Wallace has a good idea - try using toothpaste.  I`ve used it on plastic & can get a mirror finish.  Way back when I built plastic car kits I would polish the plastic body parts with toothpaste & it would look better than paint.

Mark

Will it work on glass though?    I assume the glass in this magnifier is similar to whats used in telescopes.

OC.

Current builds  

Completed works.

Mark and Wallace are right. Toothpaste can work as a pretty good polishing compound. If you were able to scratch it that easily then you should be able to polish it out as well, but if that fails You can try Johnson floor shine.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Johnson-S-C-Inc-Future-Acrylic-Floor-Shine-Finish-Floors-Wax-Home-Cleaning-Home-/252295061184

(At least I think that is the current bottle) It may even have a different name where you live but whatever, if you coat the glass in the floor shine all of the scratches will go away just like they do when the glass is wet.

Good luck

Edited by lmagna

Lou

Build logs: Colonial sloop Providence 1/48th scale kit bashed from AL Independence

Currant builds:

Constructo Brigantine Sentinel (Union) (On hold)

Minicraft 1/350 Titanic (For the Admiral)

1/350 Heavy Cruiser USS Houston (Resin)

Currant research/scratchbuild:

Schooner USS Lanikai/Hermes

Non ship build log:

1/35th UH-1H Huey

38 minutes ago, lmagna said:

Mark and Wallace are right. Toothpaste can work as a pretty good polishing compound. If you were able to scratch it that easily then you should be able to polish it out as well, but if that fails You can try Johnson floor shine.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Johnson-S-C-Inc-Future-Acrylic-Floor-Shine-Finish-Floors-Wax-Home-Cleaning-Home-/252295061184

(At least I think that is the current bottle) It may even have a different name where you live but whatever, if you coat the glass in the floor shine all of the scratches will go away just like they do when the glass is wet.

Good luck

Thanks lou,   you can imagine my face  :omg:   it was priceless  - I nearly fell to my knees in the kitchen when I saw what I had done,   I just thought  "How can I finish her now  - Im blind as a bat"   I even bump into the door frame when going out lol.

OC.

Edited by Old Collingwood

Current builds  

Completed works.

17 minutes ago, Wallace said:

Yes, toothpaste is like a very mild grinding paste. I even used it years ago to put a fine finish on valve seats when I was grinding them in on an engine rebuild!

Thank you wallace  - I will pick some up tomorrow  - just the plain simple unflavoured white variety?

OC.

Current builds  

Completed works.

Might as well get the stuff you will use anyway. It is almost certain that you will have a bunch left over.

All kidding aside, you might look at Crest Pro-health with a RDA value of 189. RDA stands for relative dentin abrasivity. Teeth have a hardness of about 5, a diamond is rated at ten. So combining the factors used to measure this hardness teeth come out at about 7 RDA, meaning that your toothpaste has to be at least that hard to polish your teeth. As you can see Crest can easily do the job with room to spare. should do the same on glass or plastic. 

The only higher abrasion I could find was Colgate 2 in 1 Tarter Control/Whitening or Icy Blast/Whitening listed at 190-200! There are of course many that are lower and would give a finer polish. But then so would using the same toothpaste for a longer time and adding water. I have the list if you want it.

Edited by lmagna

Lou

Build logs: Colonial sloop Providence 1/48th scale kit bashed from AL Independence

Currant builds:

Non ship build log:

1/35th UH-1H Huey

31 minutes ago, lmagna said:

Might as well get the stuff you will use anyway. It is almost certain that you will have a bunch left over.

All kidding aside, you might look at Crest Pro-health with a RDA value of 189. RDA stands for relative dentin abrasivity. Teeth have a hardness of about 5, a diamond is rated at ten. So combining the factors used to measure this hardness teeth come out at about 7 RDA, meaning that your toothpaste has to be at least that hard to polish your teeth. As you can see Crest can easily do the job with room to spare. should do the same on glass or plastic. 

The only higher abrasion I could find was Colgate 2 in 1 Tarter Control/Whitening or Icy Blast/Whitening listed at 190-200! There are of course many that are lower and would give a finer polish. But then so would using the same toothpaste for a longer time and adding water. I have the list if you want it.

Thanks for that lou, I have just been looking online at our local store to see what they have - not seen the above mentioned but they do have many others.

OC.

Current builds  

Completed works.

I will PM you the list so you can compare it with what you have available. You may not have access to the higher abrasion formulas where you live. The list is a bit long.

Edited by lmagna

Lou

Currant builds:

Non ship build log:

1/35th UH-1H Huey

Dooh... I forgot about the toothpaste trick.   Been so long since I've dealt with scratched lenses.   facepalm_48.png.dba6c4171564dd12b2404f59826e6c3b.png

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

4 minutes ago, mtaylor said:

Dooh... I forgot about the toothpaste trick.   Been so long since I've dealt with scratched lenses.   facepalm_48.png.dba6c4171564dd12b2404f59826e6c3b.png

This is what makes our forum so special  - we are like a family  looking out for each other and helping where we can.

OC.

Current builds  

Completed works.

I have not done it myself, but there are a lot of videos on youtube that show how to remove scratches from glass. I would assume that yours would not be very deep given how they were made and so, one of these techniques with the buffing compound should work.

-Well, after I posted that, my page refreshed and all of those better responses popped up. Gotta love technology some days... 🙄

By the way, work on the ship prior to the whoops, was looking great! :)

Edited by EJ_L

"A Smooth Sea NEVER made a Skilled Sailor"
- John George Hermanson 

-E.J.

Current Builds - Royal Louis - Mamoli

Royal Caroline - Panart

Completed - Wood - Le Soleil Royal - Sergal - Build Log & Gallery

La Couronne - Corel - Build Log & Gallery

Rattlesnake - Model Shipways, HMS Bounty - Constructo

Plastic - USS Constitution - Revel (twice), Cutty Sark.

Unfinished - Plastic - HMS Victory - Heller, Sea Witch.

Member : Nautical Research Guild

3 hours ago, EJ_L said:

I have not done it myself, but there are a lot of videos on youtube that show how to remove scratches from glass. I would assume that yours would not be very deep given how they were made and so, one of these techniques with the buffing compound should work.

-Well, after I posted that, my page refreshed and all of those better responses popped up. Gotta love technology some days... 🙄

By the way, work on the ship prior to the whoops, was looking great! :)

Thank you sincerely EJ.

OC.

Current builds  

Completed works.

Back to normal   - toothpaste  to the rescue   - final result     magnifier  1   finger  0  "ouch".

View through magnifier after repair.:dancetl6:

OC.

DSC00071.JPG

Current builds  

Completed works.

image.png.396ef6b864f0a622faea67f5222eb7ba.png

Lou

Currant builds:

Non ship build log:

1/35th UH-1H Huey

and everyone lived to fight another day

Its all part of Kev's journey, bit like going to the dark side, but with the lights on

All the best

Kevin :omg:

SAY NO TO PIRACY. SUPPORT ORIGINAL IDEAS AND MANUFACTURERS.
KEEP IT REAL!

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

On the build table

HMS Indefatigable 1794 by Kevin - Vanguard Models - 1:64 - Feb 2023 

HMHS Britannic by Kevin 

SD 14  - Marcle Models - 1/70 - March 2022 -  Bluebell - Flower Class - Revel - 1/72   U552 German U Boat - Trumpeter - 1/48  Amerigo Vespucci     1/84 - Panart-   HMS Enterprise  -CAF -  1/48     

Finished     

St-Nectan-Mountfleet-models-steam-trawler-1/32 - Completed June 2020

HMS Victory - Caldercraft/Jotika - 1/72 - Finished   Dorade renamed Dora by Kevin - Amati - 1/20 - Completed March 2021 

Stage Coach 1848 - Artesania Latina - 1/10 -Finished Lady Eleanor by Kevin - FINISHED - Vanguard Models - 1/64 - Fifie fishing boat

7 minutes ago, Kevin said:

and everyone lived to fight another day

Indeed  - felt like the whole site was on hold  over my magnifier episode  - so glad full service has resumed.

OC.

Current builds  

Completed works.

woohoo-1298.gif.d2898f7ea033163417cbf733e670314d.gifyellow-smiley-salute.gif.877786ca8ce09d6ca58a76ac472ddd46.gif

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Glad you got your dilemma cleared up, OC. I've used the toothpaste to clean up watch glass in the past. Our "family" always manages to come up with workable solutions. They're the best.👍

Ken

Started: MS Bounty Longboat,

On Hold:  Heinkel USS Choctaw paper

Down the road: Shipyard HMC Alert 1/96 paper, Mamoli Constitution Cross, MS USN Picket Boat #1

Scratchbuild: Echo Cross Section

Member Nautical Research Guild

37 minutes ago, CDW said:

It's one of those things that most guys our age can relate to...if I lost my magnifier, much of my small scale modeling would be over until I replaced them.

Very true - Im the same without my reading glasses  - completely blind.

OC.

Current builds  

Completed works.

38 minutes ago, Canute said:

Glad you got your dilemma cleared up, OC. I've used the toothpaste to clean up watch glass in the past. Our "family" always manages to come up with workable solutions. They're the best.👍

So so true each and every one are diamonds:cheers:

OC.

Current builds  

Completed works.

A year ago, I bought a set of the sanding and polishing sticks from Flory Models in England. There are polishing sticks in that set that will buff out clear plastic beautifully. The come in various grades of coarseness, all the way down to the actual polishing grade. If you can see your way clear to acquire a set of them, they are well worth the money.

40 minutes ago, CDW said:

A year ago, I bought a set of the sanding and polishing sticks from Flory Models in England. There are polishing sticks in that set that will buff out clear plastic beautifully. The come in various grades of coarseness, all the way down to the actual polishing grade. If you can see your way clear to acquire a set of them, they are well worth the money.

You mean for sanding plastic or even wood parts?    I use nail sanding files  - I have a mix of the flexible two sided ones and many that are thin with card in the center   - I have beautiful nails now 🤣

OC.

Current builds  

Completed works.

6 minutes ago, Old Collingwood said:

You mean for sanding plastic or even wood parts?    I use nail sanding files  - I have a mix of the flexible two sided ones and many that are thin with card in the center   - I have beautiful nails now 🤣

OC.

These are more specifically suited for plastic. I use coarser grades of the "manicure" variety for my wooden models.

Flory designs his products for use around plastic models, but there may be other uses I have not discovered.

18 minutes ago, CDW said:

These are more specifically suited for plastic. I use coarser grades of the "manicure" variety for my wooden models.

Flory designs his products for use around plastic models, but there may be other uses I have not discovered.

I have got a great new tool for shaping spars  - its a rounded scraping tool that slides in and locks (extended or retracted)   it will be great for shaping the tapers on my dowel spars.

OC.

Current builds  

Completed works.

34 minutes ago, Old Collingwood said:

I have got a great new tool for shaping spars  - its a rounded scraping tool that slides in and locks (extended or retracted)   it will be great for shaping the tapers on my dowel spars.

OC.

Don't keep us in suspenders...what is this spar shaping tool you've got? Inquiring minds want to know. 🙂

I could use a tool for spar shaping.

11 minutes ago, CDW said:

Don't keep us in suspenders...what is this spar shaping tool you've got? Inquiring minds want to know. 🙂

I could use a tool for spar shaping.

This one  - 

OC.

Scraper.jpg

Current builds  

Completed works.