Old Collingwood

Black Pearl by Old Collingwood - FINISHED - 1/72 Scale

3 minutes ago, mtaylor said:

You're getting close to the finish line, OC.  I do like the way you're "decorating" or maybe the right phase is "setting the mood" with the painting and coloring of all the parts.  Just looks super.

Thank you sincerely mark,   I am trying to keep in mind  she would have had a very  weatherd  look just like burned timbers, the closest I can find is a dark grey and highlighting.

OC.

Another good day  -  I fitted the main lower yard  and lashed it around the mast,  then attached the two blocks each side to the end of the yard,  then I  ran the lift ropes  and tied them off on the  bulkhead handrail.

Next job was to attach the two yard positioning ropes  that ran from the end of the yard  down to the blocks on the front of the mizzen tops, these two ropes were also tied off  on the  poop deck  handrails.

Its getting there.:dancetl6:

OC.

IMG_0020.JPG

IMG_0021.JPG

IMG_0022.JPG

holy cow!  it's a good thing I poked into the forum to catch up.........you'd be done and I would have missed all the fun! :)   she's looking great my friend ........your rigging looks awesome!  looking forward to seeing her completed.........the closer you are here........the closer you are to the Mosquito ;) 

3 minutes ago, popeye the sailor said:

holy cow!  it's a good thing I poked into the forum to catch up.........you'd be done and I would have missed all the fun! :)   she's looking great my friend ........your rigging looks awesome!  looking forward to seeing her completed.........the closer you are here........the closer you are to the Mosquito ;) 

Thank you for your kind words denis.

OC.

I have worked out a way to pass the time while  working on the pearl  - I listen to  the music I have created  both with my  over seas  but close friend  Luke James  (ex of the band Fashion)   or my own  instrumental  pieces.

https://de-stijlsynthbass.bandcamp.com/track/dark-to-light

https://de-stijlsynthbass.bandcamp.com/track/on-a-sidewalk-in-a-neighbourhood-i-dont-know-by-luke-james

OC.

Evening all,

Sincere thanks  for all the likes and comments, 

I started the day by  lacing up the upper mizzen  rats  - this  finished the ratlines:dancetl6:   and took just over an hour,   next job was  to  work on the two main mast lower yard  adjustment  ropes, these  were constructed  by two sections of  rope (thread)  and a single  adjustment  block.  and  lashed and tied off on the poop deck bulwark handrails.

I also fitted  the lower mizzen yard.

OC.

IMG_0026.JPG

IMG_0025.JPG

IMG_0027.JPG

IMG_0028.JPG

42 minutes ago, mtaylor said:

You're making great progress, OC.   Hmm....skeleton pirates.   Not having seen the movie, were they actually on the ship?

The whole film is based around the  un dead  pirates  where  they are cursed  to be  in limbo land,   they  travel between  there normal  pirate  form   and  dead   skeleton  form,    its quite a thing to see the likes of Johnny Depp  in skeleton form.

OC.

Another good day  on the pearl  -  firstly  I painted and fitted  the upper mizzen yard, I decided to fit it in the lowered position  - I glued it and lashed  it in place,  then I  fitted the  end blocks  and the blocks to the top of  the mizzen upper mast.

I then  ran the lift ropes  down the center  and tied/glued them  to the poop deck bits.

OC.

IMG_0032.JPG

IMG_0033.JPG

IMG_0030.JPG

The Pearl is looking great indeed! I'm enjoying this build as it is being presented in a unique way not typical to what is normally posted here in that instead of a nice, pretty new looking ship, we have a dark, weathered spooky vessel. Granted I know that is the whole point as that is what this ship is supposed to look like, but still it is refreshing to see it and you are doing a fantastic job.

Now, some skeleton pirates would be a really cool element to add, though I have no idea where you could find any in this scale. Maybe if you know of someone who does 3D printing they could attempt to make you some? If not, regular pirates would be fitting as well since like O.C. said, they went back and forth between skeleton and normal forms. I believe the skeletons were only shown under the moonlight.

5 hours ago, EJ_L said:

The Pearl is looking great indeed! I'm enjoying this build as it is being presented in a unique way not typical to what is normally posted here in that instead of a nice, pretty new looking ship, we have a dark, weathered spooky vessel. Granted I know that is the whole point as that is what this ship is supposed to look like, but still it is refreshing to see it and you are doing a fantastic job.

Now, some skeleton pirates would be a really cool element to add, though I have no idea where you could find any in this scale. Maybe if you know of someone who does 3D printing they could attempt to make you some? If not, regular pirates would be fitting as well since like O.C. said, they went back and forth between skeleton and normal forms. I believe the skeletons were only shown under the moonlight.

Thank you indeed  for saying all that,  its so nice to think what I have been building is of interest to the good  folks here.:10_1_10::dancetl6:

OC.

More progress  today  -  I started by  making and painting the rear mizzen cross  spar (can remember its name)  this was then  glued in place,  I then turned attention  to the upper mizzen yard that still needed its lift ropes making - same procedure  as the other yard.

I finished off  the yard making/fitting  by  attaching the rear yard  ropes/blocks.

This finishes  all the mast/yards   and just leaves  the three rear lantens and  a  skull and crossbones  flag.

I will give the pirate figures  consideration  possibly later.

OC.

IMG_0034.JPG

IMG_0035.JPG

IMG_0036.JPG

IMG_0037.JPG

Not much to shout about  - I am working on the three rear  lanterns,  I have attached the  bottom  supports  and when set  I will paint inside an orange/yellow colour  then attach the tops  and give the outside a brass/weathered look.

I have ordered a  cloth Jolly Roger flag   and also waiting on the pirate figure set to arrive.

Just the one pic  showing the current stage with the lantern parts.

OC.

IMG_0038.JPG

3 minutes ago, popeye the sailor said:

all that talk was rattling the gents at the wharf......literally !   Chester and the boys have taken up weapons and ready to head out.........now I have to break the news to them :( 

1194761693_chesterandtheboys.jpg.56a6f9e459e3defe870f5008cf8e7654.jpg

ship's look'in awesome OC.........almost at the finish line :) 

Thank you kindly denis.

OC.

37 minutes ago, popeye the sailor said:

now I have to break the news to them

Looks like Chester needs to feed his crew a little better!

Looks like you are making some steady progress OC. Must be nice being able to see the light at the end of the tunnel and know that the ship will turn out so well. (Unless the light you see is a train coming the other way!)

I need to keep jumping off of the tracks on my Huey build because of all of the oncoming train wrecks, and I'm only at the very beginning! :( 

2 hours ago, lmagna said:

Looks like Chester needs to feed his crew a little better!

Looks like you are making some steady progress OC. Must be nice being able to see the light at the end of the tunnel and know that the ship will turn out so well. (Unless the light you see is a train coming the other way!)

I need to keep jumping off of the tracks on my Huey build because of all of the oncoming train wrecks, and I'm only at the very beginning! :( 

Thanks lou,

I have had a few of those moments over the years with kit building  - lost count the amount of times  kits ended up in the bin.

Thank you for your compliments  mate  - means a lot.:cheers:

OC.