Jump to content

Recommended Posts

Evening all,   I thought I would do some work to the rear bulkhead decorations  - these are kit parts  but they do look amazing  for plastic,   anyway first thing I did was to paint the three sections in brass paint - this was force dried with a hairdryer, then I started weathering and generally  making them look aged and old, I then glued them to the rear bulkhead.

 

Just the two pictures, with the second one showing how it will look when I attach the rear cabin window sections.

 

OC.

DSC00052.JPG

DSC00053.JPG

Link to post
Share on other sites

Evening all,   today  I fitted the two forecastle ladders then gave them a coat of paint,  I then decided to close in the lower/main gun deck hull sides, this was a fiddly operation requiring some moving around of the side sectons to get them to sit properly, this caused a bit of  poly cement mess around the join.

After the first side was glued and supported with elastc bands - I was able to attach the other side,  I set the hull aside to set  while I cooked dinner - then I touched up hull join line, but also decided to give all hull parts a second coat  - that to be honest is a more brown/grey/black color, but it will be weathered again  with dry brushing   (can use talk as the wife has allergies to stuff like that)

 

Just the one pic -

 

OC.

DSC00054.JPG

Edited by Old Collingwood
Link to post
Share on other sites

Evening all   so today was  "weathering/shading day"   - I gave the hull and upper hull parts a series of dry brush white passes,  basically  just white acrylic  with a large brush  with almost all of tha paint taken off the brush with a rag,  than brushed all over raising the highlights  and  creating some age.

 

Here's the pics -

 

OC.

DSC00055.JPG

DSC00056.JPG

DSC00057.JPG

DSC00058.JPG

Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, CDW said:

Is she darker than it appears in the pictures? Sometimes, my camera makes it look much lighter than it really is in real life.

You are making swift progress. I'll bet you are really enjoying this build.

Hiya mate,   yep  slightly darker  but deffo  showing some weathering,    its a very enjoyable build  and the scale 1/72  really helps  - I used to make  1/72 scale Airfix toy soldiers  - you know the ones that were that horrible slimmy plastic  (real hard to paint)   I at one stage had hundreads of then including the Battle of Waterloo  battle set  - had then all over the room floor  ( mum was not impresed)

 

OC.

Edited by Old Collingwood
Link to post
Share on other sites

Evening all,    only a lttle bit of work today on the pearl  - firstly I built/painted and weathered the capstan then glued it down,    then I  started work on the kit  forecastle bits,  the kit part is a complete piece  - all it needed was a bit of cleaning up  then a  piece of  decking  was placed underneath to help its attachment to the deck.

 

Just the two pics -

 

OC.

DSC00060.JPG

DSC00061.JPG

Link to post
Share on other sites

Evening all,   I continued with the forecastle bits - they were painted then weathered,  I then got  my instructions off the admiral  that she wanted the capstan to have its spindles  - so hey presto  I made it so  - painted and weathered.

 

After letting the capstan dry I turned my attention back to the forecastle - it ocured to me that the inner railing was missing some belaying pins,  I have some metal ones  so I had to drill out the rail between posts then glue in the pins with some gaitor glue.

 

Just a couple of pics -

DSC00062.JPG

DSC00063.JPG

Link to post
Share on other sites
17 hours ago, Old Collingwood said:

Its just the way the film designers  built the ship  probably desined around the May Pole dance.

 

OC.

Just goes to show...most people don't know crap about the subject material they watch on TV/movies/documentaries, but many (if not most) go away thinking that everything they saw and heard on TV/mob=vies/documentaries can be taken for gospel.

A silly, naive and confused lot, we people. Happens all the time in every conceivable way. It's the way the puppet masters control their puppets.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Good Evening all,    can I get a bit of advice from folks please  -  I am struggling with the gammoning rope  trying to get a neat inline pattern,   I have to run the rope (thread) up from the cutout in the beakhead then up through a slot in the grating and over the bowsprit, I have fitted a block on the top of the bowsprit  but I can stop the thread from getting all bunched up and not in a nice clean line.

Are there any cheats to make this (stressful job) easier?

 

OC.

Link to post
Share on other sites
44 minutes ago, popeye the sailor said:

short of cementing it as you make each winding,  it's hard to say.   perhaps if you were to pin it with an alligator clip when you lap over the bow spirit, keeping it taught,  you might fair better.

 

I think I sorted it - I re did it with thicker thread  a kind of waxed one that came with the kit (I did not think about using it as it is a buff color)   anyway I managed to get each winding to sit next to each, then just did a simple knot and  glued under the grating (out of sight) the ends, then I gave it a coat of black/grey type thingyy.

 

OC.

 

 

DSC00064.JPG

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...