Wallace

HMS Victory by Wallace - Corel SM 23 - 1:98 Scale

4 hours ago, Katsumoto said:

just want you to know that they repaint the HMS Victory last year into another colour.

Yes, I knew that Peter. I decided to go with the colors I knew she had when I was a boy. Thanks sir. 

3 hours ago, Kevin said:

are you going to make your own gun port lids, or use the kit ones

I do have the kit ones but they are giving me some issues. We will see. 

1 hour ago, harlequin said:

I have used the metal gunports in my Bellona build....they are not supplied with Bellona but I quite like the contrast they give....highlights them and makes a feature out of them which I like.

Yes, although the ports are proving troublesome to put together they are nicely detailed. I shall prep and dry fit them and see what they look like. Kevin had an idea that I perhaps scratch build my own. I may do a couple of those too and see how that goes. 

I am sorry Mark, I missed your last two updates! 

You are making good steady progress and its showing in how good your Vic looks.

The only thing I would be worried about with the metal gunports/lids is making them look like wood, so I'm interested to see how you paint them. And interested to see your scratch built ones. Do you have to decide soon or are you able to leave the decision till later in the build?

4 hours ago, nikbud said:

Do you have to decide soon or are you able to leave the decision till later in the build?

I have time until I have finished planking/painting the hull. As it stands I am leaning heavily towards the scratch build purely due to the fact that I am not happy with the Corel ports. That will obviously take me a lot longer but I think it will look a lot more authentic. 

A lot...and I mean a lot of scratching hours will be spend on those gunports Mark. They will look so much better but on the other hand. I saw a other Corel build on this forum of the Bellona I think, he used the metal gunports and they looked Allright to me. To to bad afterall...

decision time.... 😬

12 hours ago, Wallace said:

I have time until I have finished planking/painting the hull. As it stands I am leaning heavily towards the scratch build purely due to the fact that I am not happy with the Corel ports. That will obviously take me a lot longer but I think it will look a lot more authentic. 

I scratch built mine for the Victory, and I am very happy with them.  It took a bit, but it was well worth it.

On 3/13/2019 at 6:51 AM, GrandpaPhil said:

I scratch built mine for the Victory, and I am very happy with them.  It took a bit, but it was well worth it.

And I think I will be going that route too Phil. I do like the look of yours so that gives me something to aim for.

As I have mentioned several times before the job I have taken has sliced a large chunk off my recreation program and added to that I still have variois chores that go along with owning 10 acres and a farm. But, I am making slow but sure headway with my build. The few hours I stole this weekend were spent measuring out the gunports on the port side of the hull and finishing the second layer of strakes on that same side. 

I have all day Wednesday off and, having caught up on the afore mentioned chores I will be able and am certainly looking forward to spending some quality time in the shipyard. Pictures to follow. Oh yes, Spring has raised its colorful head here on the mountain. We have early blooming daffodils and crocus..... a nice splash of color after a loooong cold Winter. 

Good to hear you are managing to get at least some hours in the shipyard.

Fingers crossed you don't end up with more snow...😁