Wallace

HMS Victory by Wallace - Corel SM 23 - 1:98 Scale

Your coppering is going just great!  I told you coppering is a rite of passage! As for ripping out completed work and doing it over, welcome to the club!  It's a sign of your dedication to building a great model and will all be worth it when you're done!

Patrick

8 hours ago, Patrick Haw said:

It's a sign of your dedication to building a great model and will all be worth it when you're done!

Thank you Patrick. Corel has certainly set some limitations with the quality of this kit and the plans but I am slowly but surely overcoming these (hence the baby steps during the build) with what is hoped will be an improvement. So far so good is all I can say at this point. 

Keep up the great work, the coppering looks fantastic! It looks so good it makes me wish I hadn't taken the easy route with copper paint (oh well, the next model maybe!).

22 hours ago, VictoryGuy said:

Keep up the great work, the coppering looks fantastic! It looks so good it makes me wish I hadn't taken the easy route with copper paint (oh well, the next model maybe!).

Thanks mate! Yep, there is always a next time isn't there :)

1 hour ago, Overworked724 said:

Loving your build, Wallace!  Great attention to detail. Learning a lot. :pirate41:

As am I sir, as am I :)

I appreciate you dropping by. 

2 hours ago, Wallace said:

I am plodding on thru the coppering process. 

The best part of the coppering is sitting back when you're finally finished, looking at the beautifully coppered hull and saying "I did that!".  It's slow, tedious work but well worth it in the end.  Keep on keeping on!

Patrick

7 hours ago, Patrick Haw said:

Keep on keeping on!

Patrick

I will Patrick - won't give up now, I've come too far :)

1 hour ago, William-Victory said:

Are you going to use the kit (looks like tan) rigging for the standing rigging (black)?

Thanks for dropping by William. Because of where I am in my build currently I have not given any thought really to the rigging and all its intricacies. This is something I will turn my attention to further down the line sir. 

How is the ship coming along Mark? Coppering phase still going on? I know you’ll manage!

Peter

10 hours ago, Katsumoto said:

How is the ship coming along Mark? Coppering phase still going on? I know you’ll manage!

Peter

Good morning Peter,

No worries sir, I certainly haven't given up. I am busy with jobs on our farm that take up a lot of my time right now and this keeps me out of the shipyard. On top of that we have a place at the beach here that we visit once a month in the summer too but, I am just about done with coppering on the port side. I will be back at the farm again this weekend and will get some progress pics posted. 

I hope you and yours are all well. What are your plans for your next build?

3 hours ago, Wallace said:

Good morning Peter,

No worries sir, I certainly haven't given up. I am busy with jobs on our farm that take up a lot of my time right now and this keeps me out of the shipyard. On top of that we have a place at the beach here that we visit once a month in the summer too but, I am just about done with coppering on the port side. I will be back at the farm again this weekend and will get some progress pics posted. 

I hope you and yours are all well. What are your plans for your next build?

I’ll look forward to the pictures Sir. Your place at the beach does sound lovely!

I’m already started a log of a new project Royal Caroline. Please feel free to toggle along the way! 😉

cheers,

Peter

Hi Wallace.  I posted some images in my build-log.  The books you found are very helpful.

The pdf's help make a little more sense.

I can drop them in this log If you wish.

4 hours ago, Katsumoto said:

I’m already started a log of a new project Royal Caroline.

Ooops, looks like I missed that one. I will hop over and give my 10 cents worth. 

1 hour ago, William-Victory said:

Hi Wallace.  I posted some images in my build-log.  The books you found are very helpful.

The pdf's help make a little more sense.

I can drop them in this log If you wish.

Yes, you can do that too William. 

Hello, I have been following this build and got inspired to purchase a HMS Victory SM23 1:98 kit too !

Thanks Wallace for posting all the informative pics and everyone for adding some really good tips.

I will be beginning my build shortly :)

On 6/10/2019 at 7:54 PM, DarkAngel said:

I will be beginning my build shortly

I look forward to seeing that build DarkAngel. Thanks for dropping by and for following of course, the comments are much appreciated. 

I have decided to shelf the Vic, at least until the summer and all its many chores here on the farm is over. I keep meaning to sit down and do a little here and there but then other things come up. So, I am going to pack her away for a couple of months. Have a good summer everyone!

13 hours ago, Old Collingwood said:

All the best to you wallace,   with hope with will both return to our builds  recharged and refreshed.

OC.

That is the plan OC. I look forward to "seeing you" then sir. 

Best of luck Wallace with this kit. I purchased the Corel Victory 23 years ago and still nowhere near done. It’s a bit nightmarish, the instruction booklet is completely useless. There’s parts of the kit that don’t even give you a fighting chance of getting it right. Nonetheless mine is actually starting to look pretty good. 

7 hours ago, John Foreman said:

Best of luck Wallace with this kit. I purchased the Corel Victory 23 years ago and still nowhere near done. It’s a bit nightmarish, the instruction booklet is completely useless. There’s parts of the kit that don’t even give you a fighting chance of getting it right. Nonetheless mine is actually starting to look pretty good. 

I know the feeling... I bought mine in 1996 i think... But now i got back in the game and will hopefully finish her. My New kits from Caldercraft are so much better. 

On 7/29/2019 at 1:03 AM, John Foreman said:

Thank you John. I hope you will be keeping a build log, it will be interesting to follow along sir.

Just a quick but important update before I head out to work this morning. I have finished the coppering on the one side!! I completed it last night and kinda just sat back and thought "wow, it's done". I still have a lot of work finishing up the strakes now on that side but I mark this as one of the major milestones in the build. 

495381301_20190829_0627412.thumb.jpg.c400836a388a9eeb6aa6f118615230b3.jpg

1027635144_20190829_0627342.thumb.jpg.a6bc3a286ca4a9c93881c7ba6fa3767c.jpg

1183965670_20190829_0627232.thumb.jpg.19f2dd5008d2320d4b941b9a1be92735.jpg