Wallace

HMS Victory by Wallace - Corel SM 23 - 1:98 Scale

Friday, December 28, 2018:

Pin Up

Here is a quick update on the progress of my planking thus far. I shaped, dry-fitted, re-shaped, re-fitted then shaped once more and finally glued the two garboard strakes in place. After that I added one normal size plank on either side of the garboard to extend the line out as far as possible to the bow.

image.png.0ebce11cf7ffff0d09a731a83da2ea13.png

Once these were nice and dry (I waited until the next day just to be really sure they were – not really necessary but that’s just me :) ) I started to add the planking bands to be able to establish how my planks were going to be laid on the hull. Getting these right is critical as it will have a big influence on the final look of the finished hull so I did take my time. As of 4 O’clock this afternoon I had only fitted four, two on each side. I noticed that I was already getting some crowding at the bow. I guess with a bow like this that is only to be expected…….

image.png.9efbf8a96a9143be3268129b30e38203.pngimage.png.0e2fbb8ebefcfe05258635f61a0fa7c3.png    

I was quite pleased with the overall fit and looking along the keel (which still needs repairing) the lines looked good. Should any of you have any input regarding the run of these planking bands, please feel free to chime in. At this stage they can still be adjusted if necessary.........

image.png.6541159bd5879df31aa88856beac4739.pngimage.png.751ac1d03282a28cb396741ae2dab25e.png   

7 hours ago, smarra said:

I would add the other planking bands and see where they end up. 

From there you can adjust if needed.

Yep, that was the plan but I ran out of steam last night so stopped working for the night. I am off to the shipyard again tomorrow afternoon to continue.

5 hours ago, Katsumoto said:

Looks excellent Sir! Best part of the ship is her hull. Do you keep the wood visible or are you going to sheet it with copper plates?

That is still something I am deciding on Pete........

On 12/29/2018 at 7:25 PM, nikbud said:

WoooHooo planking! Yeah!!

Looking very good Sir!

I think its wise just to do a couple of strakes a day. I found with the first layer of the Virginia that I would get sloppy by the third or fourth.

Like I said at the beginning mate, baby steps :)

Edited by Wallace

Saturday, January 05, 2019:

New Year’s Solutions

Welcome back one and all and a Happy New Year to everyone! Here is just a quick update.

The holidays did put a bit of a damper on any shipyard activities but it was time well spent with family and friends but now it is time to get back to “work”.

After fitting the garboard plank and a couple of its neighbors I decided to flip the hull and start the planking at the lower deck level. Because my hull has been stabilized with all those spacers I decided to plank one side of the ship and then move over to the starboard side. I had read that planking just one side could lead to the hull twisting but for the reason just mentioned I do not have that concern. On top of that I had read a very good PDF from Chuck on planking and he doesn’t agree with that either. Nuff said.

The spacers that I had added to strengthen up the hull did cause me some extra work here and there. I needed to smooth up the lines along the hull and I thought that I had done a pretty good job with the filler I had added. Once I started planking however it was evident that there were slight height discrepancies and these needed to be addressed before I could continue. To make up the missing space and to avoid having “springy plank” syndrome I added shims where necessary. Some were needed at certain bulkhead tips and a few others in various locations down the hull.

image.png.f30ae2d10d0cd25c97b639bed9330eac.pngimage.png.739d86db09d6496ee0700c150da5430f.png

Once that was done the planking started coming along nicely. The stern pieces were soaked for 6 minutes and fitted to allow to dry overnight before sanding and gluing. I found that if I soaked them any longer the wood just split apart when I was bending it. The bow pieces were bent mostly on my bending jig. I did find that I had sanded in a slight vertical curve on the bow fillers. What I mean by that is that the top of the filler has a tendency to slope back in towards the beakhead. Because of this my first three planks were dropping down when I shaped them around the bow. The fourth plank fitted nice and straight. To alleviate that issue I had to spil these three planks to fit. I used 3” low tack tape on the bow to mark out the area of the planks then transferred that shape to some planks I had glued together. After cutting it out I allowed it to dry overnight. I will be soaking it today and will fit it to the bow. The results will be posted in my next log.

Because there is usually no need to spil or add drop planks or stealers to the mid-ship area I decided to fill those areas a little (usually 3 rows) before adding the rest of the planks to the bow and stern. After taking measurements at both ends and calculating the thickness of the planks needed, I found I could quite easily calculate the size of each plank and so avoid any surprises. (We put together an Excel spreadsheet to do the calculations by the way, all I had to do was enter my figures – my engineering teacher once told me “Work smart, not hard”) 

So, here are some images of my progress so far. See you all real soon.

image.png.b3dc6df8ed69cd6434aa7a162f811d34.png

image.png.1f569dd6647f2a81e99eeadad29d3ab4.png

image.png.28148f18620a13b391ec082c95693f98.png

13 minutes ago, nikbud said:

Good work there Sir, you have some nice bends in the planks at the stern - good tip on the soaking time.

Thanks Paul. After doing some chores I am back in the shipyard this afternoon. Onward :)

2 hours ago, nikbud said:

- good tip on the soaking time.

Quick update on that - the soak time is minutes not 6. At 6 they start to splinter at the stern because of the extreme curve. 5 is just right, they wrap around nicely and after drying they fit perfectly.

1 hour ago, Wallace said:

Quick update on that - the soak time is minutes not 6. At 6 they start to splinter at the stern because of the extreme curve. 5 is just right, they wrap around nicely and after drying they fit perfectly.

Thanks for the update - I would have thought it would have been much longer - possibly why I have had problems in the past. It just show that it pays to experiment, test and practice.

Hiya Mark, it sounds like you are cutting the planks to the required length before bending/tapering. Are you finding any issues when you line up each strake?

12 hours ago, VictoryGuy said:

Looks like all that excellent prep work you did is paying off!

It does look that way doesn't it. There were moments when I was still shaping and patching all those extra fins that I doubted my sanity for adding them all. Now that I have climbed that partucular hill I am glad I put in the extra effort, the hull is sound and I am finding the planks lay nicely. 

2 hours ago, nikbud said:

Hiya Mark, it sounds like you are cutting the planks to the required length before bending/tapering. Are you finding any issues when you line up each strake?

Good morning Paul. I first take a complete plank and lay it up against the previous one to give me an idea of the fit. The previois one is still only dry fitted. As I said, along the midships the planks are full width and lying nice and straight right now. I fit the midships plank and then, using the bands I measured I shape and dry fit the bow and stern planks. These I let dry overnight. I do this to let them shrink if they have to so that the fit is precise. Up to now this has worked well. Yesterday I passed the halfway mark moving down the hull. I noticed that the plank was no longer lying completely horizontal along the hull. I will be measuring and shaping a lot more now. By dry fitting 3 rows I can see if I need any drop planks or stealers before rows are finally glued. 

14 minutes ago, nikbud said:

You have a good system going there, Mark, are you going to do the same with the second planking layer?

Well, this does seem to be working out well so far. I see no reason to change that. Will certainly give it a try. 

Hi Mark,

Finally the proces of a birth of a ship, and a beauty it is! I like all the prep-work you have done for the planking stage.

However I am a little bit concerned about the strakes at the stern. They are horizontal and at the stern they should be more diagonally.

HMS-Victory-wooden-scale-Model-Ship-Ster

image.png

Hello Wallace, there is now perchance very right moment to ask in what appearnce you want to show your beauty? 

1765 is a not so often shown  - but very well documented date when Horathio was a schoolboy not an admiral.

SRLR 0512 in the NMM pictured here: http://collections.rmg.co.uk/collections/objects/66473.html

I my point of view a brilliant source for detailling and a way to stand apart from all the other humble-bee Victory builders picturing her. Therebare as built plans and detailed information. (The 1805 Victory modell doesn't seem to be a Victory it might be a converted Dreadnought.) Even the modern „Original“ is diffrend from the paintings contemporary to Trafalgar. Starting at this and running to the question of the admirals portal...

So have you got any idea about this? What is your oppinion? 

IMG_20190107_165347.png

IMG_20190107_165223.png

IMG_20190107_165032.png

IMG_20190107_164929.png

IMG_20190107_171124.png

IMG_20190107_171049.png

2 hours ago, Heinrich der Seefahrer said:

Hello Wallace, there is now perchance very right moment to ask in what appearance you want to show your beauty?

Heinrich,

Thank you for dropping by sir! Your question is something that I have started to give a lot of thought to. I do not know if you read earlier entries in my build log but I will be displaying her with all gun-ports closed. Only the guns on the decks will be visible. I will be looking at getting the build as historically correct as possible but as to which time period of her life that will be is, as I said still open to debate. I will be doing my research and thank you for the link. 

Uebrigens, wenn Sie eine Frage haben sollte bezueglich des Baus, dann koennen Sie mich gerne mit einem Message kontaktieren.

Viele Gruesse,

Mark

Monday, January 07, 2019:

Planking Continues……..

Here is another quick update of my planking progress. I took the time today to fabricate a very useful tool that I have had on my to-do list for some time. Now that I finally have one I sit here thinking how I ever managed without it. It is a rather crude but very effective waterline marker. As I continue down the hull with the planking I am in need of another method to show me true horizontal lines. This little guy does the trick.

image.png.75ab16e5b8e0180dcefd39b402839fe2.pngimage.png.f228597315524e0b3459b351881b0c09.png  

I had begun to notice a slight bow in the planks that I was lying along the amidships section of the hull. I drew a line with my new little tool and used it as a guide to show me how much of a difference there was. I then laid a new plank along the line to double check. Sure enough, the planks were bowing upwards as I moved down the hull.

image.png.5f4e00d3c60d271ce0c2ab4f304f0639.png

This had to be corrected before I went any further. Using the horizontal plank as a guide I took my compass and set it to the widest between my guide plank and the plank above. I then drew the compass (locked in position at the width of the widest gap) along the plank keeping the point at riding along the upper edge of the bowed plank (see images below – they explain it a lot better). After having gone left and right of center I had marked the guide plank and could use these marks to cut it. This spiled plank (or correction plank I guess you could call it) was then fitted to straighten out the lines along the midship section again.

image.png.2e9f807e1045081dceec4252e3db707f.pngimage.png.3407e1c44d8b29d91cd9e4d64d0d790e.png   image.png.7fd3725277152d3b85dc6a18cfb18465.png

And here is an image with the plank fitted. Now I can move on.

image.png.59d62c3f1d9f4a83d7c249f189759d90.png

Oh, I had mentioned that I would give an update on the bow section this time around. I lied :)

I am still working on a better solution for the backwards curve in the bow filler. Update to follow.

Edited by Wallace
Image removed

5 hours ago, Katsumoto said:

They are horizontal and at the stern they should be more diagonally.

Well Peter you do have a point there. They are beginning to bend up as I move down the stern filler. I will do some research and if I am going wrong here I will certainly correct that with the second layer of planks.  

8 hours ago, Katsumoto said:

However I am a little bit concerned about the strakes at the stern. They are horizontal and at the stern they should be more diagonally.

So Peter raised a very valid point earlier about the way the stern strakes are laying. It has made me think that I am perhaps going about that particular aspect of my planking the wrong way. I have not been able to get that out of my head all afternoon and at the moment I can envisage only two possible solutions:

1. Leave it as it is and rescue my mistake with the second layer of planking (this would not be my first choice)

2. Remove the stern strakes and start the planking (or actually continue it) from the garboard strake to enable me to get that upwards curve.

In all honesty I know what needs to be done to correct it (option 2) and I do want this build done correctly - I am not going to cut any corners. BUT, every time I look at the stern and think about what it is I have to do it makes me cringe.

If any of you very smart cookies out there have another suggestion then I am all ears :)

I'm stating the obvious but I think it boils down to what you want to achieve with the first layer. For me its about practising for the final layer but more importantly about getting a good smooth base for the final planking. One thing I worried about was that if I, with the first layer, emulate the outer layer too closely then if one of the first layer planks becomes unstuck or shifts then it will directly affect the outer plank on top of it.

I think though that as you move down the curve of the hull will "encourage" the planks to curve upwards towards the stern.

If it were me ….

I was about to say that I would leave it as it is and solve the problem with the outer layer - but I've just remembered I have rebuilt a bunk that will hardly be seen four times!

Unfortunately if you leave it you will always know it is there. There are aspects of the Virginia that I am not happy with that are not that visible but I know they are there - they are acceptable because it was my first build...…..

…… on my second build I am choosing to redo until I am happy.

(Edit to add) - I've never done this with previous models, plastic or wood. I think it speaks to me of the value that I have put on this current build.

Edited by nikbud