Katsumoto

Santa Maria 1492 by Katsumoto - Artesania Latina - scale 1:65

Hello people,

This is my first humble update for 2019! Again happy new year to you all.

It's a relative small update with just a few things done, but none the less I tried to show the proces step by step to show you guys how I've accomplished it.

Now to start with the guns. There are four on the ship and she was not a heavily armed ship because she was a merchant ship, a cargo vessel so to say. The guns were very primitive and were called "Lombards". It was nothing more than a big barrel on a piece of wood, block type. No wheels and no easy way to raise or lower the barrel. The way they did this, was to place a piece of wood underneath the front to raise the gun so to say. 

To create such a solid piece of history I came with the following solution. (of course I did not used the cast metal parts except for the barrel)

So, I first laminated 3 pieces of wood to create a small block. I've cut two side pieces and one bottem piece out of walnut.

ec140036760c6219da6a1fb48732c0fc.jpg

I glued the small block onto the bottem..

a890d12d40dc9888c2500603e1ced852.jpg

ea4e2ec9faff6e9ad0b558ce0a773d1c.jpg

Then I made my design for the side pieces and cut them out with a knife.

6a4f1e665def8e86df39774f13acd9b1.jpg

2c610f299b4b58b31207fe6c1bbfbf25.jpg

I've glued everthing together and sanded the thing with 180 grid sandpaper.

5e16004a00b22d15955b8a893921634c.jpg

9d39393c8cce58b6b81a0e1245f37daf.jpg

It needs some metal parts as rings and some rigging as well. So it's not finished yet, but it gives you guys an idea what it would look like.

Next are some other things I added onto the ship...and I'll show you the proces as well.

9dcc3f562124327292aac4001cf5e510.jpg

6843abc7f98193f038ee711195b9c9d2.jpg

818e0aff8bbf56dbfd65df3c804e3ccf.jpg

0da6e6a2c9387ad18c31ace074d0ba08.jpg

ddde55f125ef6c63a497213d23a00c13.jpg

b63ec9a34139eaf2dfe82db061453cf3.jpg

So I made two of those, One at the Mizzen mast and one for the main mast. 
Next pictures show how I placed it onto the deck. Because of the rigging it needs to hold later, I reinforced it with some brass pins.

fe9b3aee11fc2761042190ad177c4ebf.jpg

d2ffbd92cc2a91f1b2b9fadc8edf2b4d.jpg

I push the pins into the deck to see where I need to drill the holes...

089790b99837ce65d541ce25151f709d.jpg

8df607e51a2f2f5c78f54e5d821ecda9.jpg

The same I did at the main mast...

7a5da0ee3ab58a44ac17770957810ef9.jpg

2d894c5ba28183483582a3d417af70fc.jpg

And the last part is the water barrel...

f1cb3d62c39b56968b4190b99377a01d.jpg

After this I have to start to construct the masts and spars and ofcourse the start of rigging the vessel. That last part is not my strongest part of the build but we will see what I make of it later on.

For now, I wish you a pleasant evening / night and stay tuned for the next update...

Peter

Lovely clean work, Sir, as we have come to expect.

I like the cannons, am looking forward to how they will be rigged.

7 hours ago, nikbud said:

Lovely clean work, Sir, as we have come to expect.

I like the cannons, am looking forward to how they will be rigged.

Thanks man, I’m still figuring out how to do this exactly. I think I have found a way, now I only need to make it with my two hands.... 🙄

I can only agree with Paul, very neat and precise work here sir. Those guns do llok like they were cumbersome to handle but, like you said she was a cargo vessel and the guns were not in constant use as they would have been on a warship. 

Thinking ahead is definitely something we all need to do on a build. Your idea with the pins to strengthen those structures for later rigging was just great. It also helped with their placement, very helpful Peter. 

21 hours ago, Wallace said:

I can only agree with Paul, very neat and precise work here sir. Those guns do llok like they were cumbersome to handle but, like you said she was a cargo vessel and the guns were not in constant use as they would have been on a warship. 

Thinking ahead is definitely something we all need to do on a build. Your idea with the pins to strengthen those structures for later rigging was just great. It also helped with their placement, very helpful Peter. 

Thanks and you’re welcome! 🙂

**Chapter 10 - Oiled**

Hello my friends,

From the kitchentable I write you guys this update with a little smile on my fase. Today was an important day on the shipyard because I've coated the SM with some Danish Oil. I really like this oil due to the mixture of Tung and Lindseed and some other stuff. It's a clearcoat, transparant oil which let the wood really pop! The grain, the colour, all will be accentuated by the oil and it gives a very nice finish and protection to the wood.

It's easy to apply, with a rag or a brush and after it's been soaked into the wood, with a clean rag or towel rub it out and your finished.

but, there is some assambly of some parts as well, and I continue with the cannons or Lombards, what they are called. As mentioned before, they aren't that pretty looking and a bit hars to operate, but I'm having fun building these lombards.

So, I've bend some brass wire into rings...

e3e338eefcc716e5fe5dd36fcd86055b.jpg

4a4d57fa2531e36f22a78c09b27ff3a1.jpg

two different sizes as well...

86099d1f584fbbdeaf39c44cf71ae845.jpg

After blacken it, I place them onto the base of the cannon.

202f3d3bd03aef99b9287fcbd5cd7d93.jpg

After some oil, they look like this...

f9825b083e42c62a74aaed0e7b45bd4b.jpg

d64ed31389a0c9b92acc4ae5a73f16c6.jpg

I'm excited about the first finished Lombard. Now I have to make 3 more...but that's for another time.

Next I continue with the ship's lantern. Now, the lantern included with the kit isn't that bad so I decided to go for it and use it on the SM. However I painted the thing first so it look a bitter better. The way AL wanted me to place it on the ship doh, is another pickle. AL choose the easy way out and choose to use some brass wire and place it on the top deck of the ship. So, drill a hole in the deck and put the lantern on a pole into the deck.
This wasn't what I had in mind. So I used the brass wire allright, but mounted the lantern a little bit different...

I took the brass wire and flatten one end with a hamer.

14bd2921cdfc6e051065ec602d780460.jpg

Then I bend the piece into the desired shape and drilled two holes...

52404f05026c798dcf1de4dd193a19b3.jpg

The lantern on the constructed part...

c4f2401d179777cd4db8eca9e0f94224.jpg

and on the ship!

9148cee080dea0be91f76630c76876df.jpg

3a425760442ef7420eb1e017755ec395.jpg

2a0bca93454188eafd029726e5fd0e4e.jpg

So next step is the one I feared most....Rigging! I've always had troubles with the rigging part of the ship. I don't know if it's me or the knots and wires that gets me on my nerves. So I decided to help myself this time a little bit and I bought some 100% natural beeswax. 

39a183ca1cca73ed30f9d7ab41cb874f.jpg

All the wires and ropes I have to make, I pull it through the beeswax first. I makes the ropes more sturdy and better to handle. It's great!

Buy yourself some beeswax for you rigging and before you use the cotton threat's, pull it a couple of times through the wax and you're in heaven!

a614512498120b7c3f9b095dc83f3e4a.jpg

8ca8fb822bf28dc98032e3ad26f5e7d5.jpg

By placing the anchors onto the ship. I needed to pull a piece of wire throuh a couple of holes. This was impossible so used a piece of brass wire as a guide to get the wires through!

af36e090943d782b76f33addabf5e3ee.jpg

d2a6522665d1776e8617c9a413737dad.jpg

3f1e532b42be8a1fb97ce6a43993e8c7.jpg

4e644c77c0e0ac44460412b23d065e80.jpg

0bc1b95c60a185ec8f1cb62ef27b6a5c.jpg

e0280bd4dcc4139e277a03df7ed205c0.jpg

1b8dd3f0032b289cecfdf578f2f9e56d.jpg

afd24076fc28ce6615ffa71e22fafb5f.jpg

And that's the end of this update. See you next time and thank you all for the previous replies, likes and comments!

Ciao,

Peter

Lovely work.   can you tell me, the bees wax does or not make the rigging sticky at all? I do have some but I never used it before because I thought it may make some parts or fittings all yuk.

Great cannons

.                      kier

12 hours ago, kier said:

Lovely work.   can you tell me, the bees wax does or not make the rigging sticky at all? I do have some but I never used it before because I thought it may make some parts or fittings all yuk.

Great cannons

.                      kier

Well, yes it makes the rigging a little bit sticky. The bees wax lasts a long time and make sure you rigging will last for a longer time. 

She is looking a beauty, Peter, you should be justifiably proud.

I love the look of the Lombard, it looks very purposeful, and the anchors' look great.

Good on you for getting the beeswax to work, I just ended up with a waxy mess...….

24 minutes ago, nikbud said:

She is looking a beauty, Peter, you should be justifiably proud.

I love the look of the Lombard, it looks very purposeful, and the anchors' look great.

Good on you for getting the beeswax to work, I just ended up with a waxy mess...….

I am still smiling sir! :)

Thanks!

The idea you had with the wire to pull those ropes through reminded me of when I ran wiring in a house I built back in '96. We had to do pretty much the same thing to get the electrical wiring through some tough spots in the walls. Nice job Peter. That oil does make the wood look fantastic. I just love the way different oils make the wood pop. I have worked with quite a few different woods in my woodshop and treated the things I made with both Danish and teak oil. Depending on the structure of the wood you get a different result each time - always interesting. It really is like bringing the wood to life!

11 hours ago, Wallace said:

The idea you had with the wire to pull those ropes through reminded me of when I ran wiring in a house I built back in '96. We had to do pretty much the same thing to get the electrical wiring through some tough spots in the walls. Nice job Peter. That oil does make the wood look fantastic. I just love the way different oils make the wood pop. I have worked with quite a few different woods in my woodshop and treated the things I made with both Danish and teak oil. Depending on the structure of the wood you get a different result each time - always interesting. It really is like bringing the wood to life!

It’s what gave me the idea because I need to run a few wires myself in my new house. Simple but effective! 🙂

Fine done! Wax its a very good material used as you described above. It also helps the rope to tied steady.

And its nice if after you wax the rope,you pass it over a candle  flame. It cleans the rope (mostly the black one) from shine and discolored wax traces. 

3 hours ago, MESSIS said:

And its nice if after you wax the rope,you pass it over a candle  flame. It cleans the rope (mostly the black one) from shine and discolored wax traces. 

Never thought of doing that. I just use a flame to get rid of the fluffiness, but it comes back after handling. Combining the two methods is something I will try.

Cheers!

20 minutes ago, nikbud said:

Never thought of doing that. I just use a flame to get rid of the fluffiness, but it comes back after handling. Combining the two methods is something I will try.

Cheers!

I'll pull the rope after the waxing between my fingers a couple of times. This creates friction, thus heat and does the same thing the flame of the candle does, melt the wax and gets absorbed into the rope. Both methods are perfect for the job. Just be carefull you don't burn your fingertops! :)

Posted (edited)

Hi guys,

Today a small update. Just a few pictures but it took me some time to figure this one out.

First a made a second lombard, just copy the proces of the first one and make a duplicate. So two down, two to go!

2b50d4d42d8e7dfdffaf70bfe83d86dc.jpg

Second is the flagpole at the stern of the ship. This took me a while to find the proper solution. First I'll show you how AL designed it.

Situation by Artesania Latina:
Santa%20Maria0005,%20Artesania%20Latina,
source: www.staticmodelkits.com

Then the situation at my ship. And look at the center cleat...this one is in my way to place a knee to hold the flagpole. 

Current situation
71d12ef08f56c5671d460805ed58d3a0.jpg

I decided to take the cleat away and place a knee. Then replace the cleat on the knee which is fairly common. I made the flagpole from a bbq stick which is made of bamboo. Nice thing about bamboo is it's strength. A negative aspect is it's hard to stain with a walnut stain. So I compromised and stained it a bit and then placed it on the ship.

New situation:
7a94a24a89e607e2b3464b759bce70f2.jpg

6b236a1ab1ff54d242e1f08d9ab545c0.jpg

90ba5d9a5b75f0ae3ea0cef08accdc16.jpg

What do you think?

Peter

Edited by Katsumoto

Looking very elegant, Peter.

Just a thought though; In "real life" would they have put a flag so close to the lamp?

Flappy material touching hot metal containing a hot flame = scorching! 😎

3 minutes ago, nikbud said:

Looking very elegant, Peter.

Just a thought though; In "real life" would they have put a flag so close to the lamp?

Flappy material touching hot metal containing a hot flame = scorching! 😎

It's a thing indeed. I know that these flags were in fact bigger and were in range of the lanterns. The lanterns were of bronze and glass. So the flame could not reach the flag. I don't know how hot the bronze or metal would become and if the flag was there at night?

Maybe they didn't raise the flag during nighttime? 

Also the flag should be raised with rope and not been folded around the flag pole. However, I took the decision to do it like this due to the material of the flag. It's like a big fabric-like sticker...It was not easy to do with rope. However, I can change it if I can manage to do it the right way..I just don't know if I succeed.

Posted (edited)
33 minutes ago, Wallace said:

In the perfect world a cloth flag would come in very useful here. You might want to try this link Peter:

https://www.miniatureflagshop.com/?gclid=Cj0KCQiA1NbhBRCBARIsAKOTmUtIbGrjnXdvCu28RO14u_1SIyF3EMj46ia4MWm3moa5VSg6B7mkdpAaAnotEALw_wcB

Don't know if it will help but it's certainly worth a try I guess. 

Thanks, Mark

As a matter of fact, they have the historical Spanish flag in store. The shipping costs for overseas / international orders aren't cheap. The size of the flag is way too big... a bit bigger is okay, but this is tripple the size of the current flag... so, it won't do unfortunately

Edited by Katsumoto

Good solution - I`m not too sure that flag would be in place on a real ship out at sea.  It might interfere with the adjustment of the lateen yard,so being close to the lantern would not be an issue.

Really like the wood color of the hull!

Mark

2 hours ago, Katsumoto said:

The size of the flag is way too big... a bit bigger is okay, but this is tripple the size of the current flag... so, it won't do unfortunately

What a shame :(

Flag issue

Guys its the issue I face by every model I do. These are my latest thoughts/views and dids:

1. My preference

I believe the flag isnt flying when the ship sails. The flag is flying only when ships reach the port. And ofcourse we (in our navy at least) take down the flag when the sun sets. But.... on the contrary to all the above on my last model I found it  challenging to fly the flag on the sailing ship... I believed it was going to be pretty and nice and elegant and classy and, and,and... and it turned out beautiful... just beautiful!

2.custom flags from UK

For my last model Fr.Hermione, I decided that the French flag in the kit wasnt the right one. I decided that having the royal envoy on board (Marq.Lafayette) the flag to use was the King's flag, Lui's flag (Haus of Burbon flag). So I order a custom made cloth flag by https://www.alwayshobbies.com. I have send them the picture of the flag and the dimensions I needed. Came in 10 days to Cyprus and the price was reasonable. Very good quality and could form the wind with hot air. You can see that flag here in blog in my Herm. buildlog or in kits gallery.

Christos

38 minutes ago, Gregory said:

Very nice work!

I have had this kit on my shelf for a while.  Your log has inspired me to seriously consider getting started on it soon.

Thank you Gregory,

it’s a Nice kit to build, not to difficult or complex but lot’s of fun building her.

regards,

peter