Yamaha MT-01 by Dan Vadas - CARD - FINISHED

Hi all, this is the start of my latest Card model- a Yamaha MT-01, which was built between 2005 and 2012. As I did with the other Yamaha (YA-01) I built this will be a very truncated Build Log, consisting of pics of the major stages. Here's a pic of how it will look (hopefully ;) :D) :

Side View.jpg

I started this one by building the wheels to see if I would carry on with the build. If you saw my YA-01 the wheels were the hardest parts to build, and didn't turn out 100% on that one. This time they turned out a LOT better, not perfect due to the tags, but still good enough to keep going :). The design, being mag wheels, was different to the spoked wheels of the YA-01. Here are some pics of the wheels :

IMG_5354.JPG

My method of fitting the last part - a band in the middle of the tyre. I glued extra card between the tags to get them the correct distance apart and stabilise the whole unit, which had significant distortion and stress before I added them :

IMG_5357.JPG

IMG_5358.JPG

Punching out the cooling holes in the twin disc rotors :

IMG_5359.JPG

The completed front wheel :

IMG_5360.JPG

IMG_5361.JPG

And the HUGE rear wheel. I'm fairly happy with the way they turned out, so the build will continue :) :

IMG_5355.JPG

IMG_5356.JPG

The two wheels for comparison :

IMG_5374.JPG

Danny

Cheers, Danny

________________________________________________________________________________
Current Build :    Forced Retirement from Modelling due to Health Issues

Build Logs :   Norfolk Sloop  HMS Vulture - (TFFM)  HMS Vulture Cross-section  18 foot Cutter    Concord Stagecoach   18th Century Longboat in a BOTTLE 

CARD Model Build Logs :   Mosel   Sydney Opera House (Schreiber-Bogen)   WWII Mk. IX Spitfire (Halinski)  Rolls Royce Merlin Engine  Cape Byron Lighthouse (HMV)       Stug 40 (Halinski)    Yamaha MT-01   Yamaha YA-1  HMS Hood (Halinski)  Bismarck (GPM)  IJN Amatsukaze 1940 Destroyer (Halinski)   HMVS Cerberus   Mi24D Hind (Halinski)  Bulgar Steam Locomotive - (ModelikTanker and Beer Wagons (Modelik)  Flat Bed Wagon (Modelik)  Peterbuilt Semi Trailer  Fender Guitar  

Restorations for Others :  King of the Mississippi  HMS Victory
Gallery : Norfolk Sloop,   HMAT Supply,   HMS Bounty,   HMS Victory,   Charles W. Morgan,   18' Cutter for HMS Vulture,   HMS Vulture,  HMS Vulture Cross-section,             18th Century Longboat in a Bottle 

Other Previous Builds : Le Mirage, Norske Love, King of the Mississippi

yup...that would have sent me scream'in out of the room  ;)     they look awesome!

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

Thanks guys. Denis, I doubt you did much wrong on yours, it looks great in the pic :).

I've made the tail-light/rear mudguard assembly :

IMG_5372.JPG

IMG_5373.JPG

Now to start the motor. This has 13 pages of parts, so it may take a while.

Danny

Cheers, Danny

________________________________________________________________________________

Build Logs :   Norfolk Sloop  HMS Vulture - (TFFM)  HMS Vulture Cross-section  18 foot Cutter    Concord Stagecoach   18th Century Longboat in a BOTTLE 

CARD Model Build Logs :   Mosel   Sydney Opera House (Schreiber-Bogen)   WWII Mk. IX Spitfire (Halinski)  Rolls Royce Merlin Engine  Cape Byron Lighthouse (HMV)       Stug 40 (Halinski)    Yamaha MT-01   Yamaha YA-1  HMS Hood (Halinski)  Bismarck (GPM)  IJN Amatsukaze 1940 Destroyer (Halinski)   HMVS Cerberus   Mi24D Hind (Halinski)  Bulgar Steam Locomotive - (ModelikTanker and Beer Wagons (Modelik)  Flat Bed Wagon (Modelik)  Peterbuilt Semi Trailer  Fender Guitar  

Gallery : Norfolk Sloop,   HMAT Supply,   HMS Bounty,   HMS Victory,   Charles W. Morgan,   18' Cutter for HMS Vulture,   HMS Vulture,  HMS Vulture Cross-section,             18th Century Longboat in a Bottle 

There are three sections in each of the two barrels, and 17 rows of fins in each barrel. Cutting,folding and gluing the fins took the best part of two days :

IMG_5376.JPG

IMG_5377.JPG

IMG_5378.JPG

IMG_5379.JPG

Danny

Cheers, Danny

nice pair of 'jugs' Dan!   :) 

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400

Here are most of the pieces of the crankcase. All of them have been folded and glued ready to assemble :

IMG_5380.JPG

IMG_5381.JPG

The crankcase assembled :

IMG_5382.JPG

IMG_5383.JPG

The barrels and other accessories fitted to the crankcase. That concludes the engine, I'll put it aside for now :

IMG_5386.JPG

IMG_5385.JPG

IMG_5384.JPG

Danny

Cheers, Danny

Thanks Richmond :).

I've made up all the side covers. The louvred one (top left) was particularly tricky to make :

IMG_5387.JPG

Danny

Cheers, Danny

• 2 weeks later...

Lots more done. Here is the partially completed frame :

IMG_5388.JPG

And more frame pieces :

IMG_5389.JPG

IMG_5390.JPG

IMG_5391.JPG

The start of the rear suspension :

IMG_5392.JPG

IMG_5393.JPG

Danny

Cheers, Danny

Thank you David and Richmond.

The completed rear suspension, chain and it's guard and the lower mudguard :

IMG_5394.JPG

IMG_5395.JPG

IMG_5396.JPG

The front mudguard. LOTS of tabs :) :

IMG_5398.JPG

IMG_5397.JPG

The front forks. There is a paper tube running the full length, they're quite strong :

IMG_5399.JPG

The front disc brake calipers :

IMG_5400.JPG

The brake and clutch levers. These were a bit difficult to make, but they turned out very nicely :

IMG_5401.JPG

Danny

Cheers, Danny

Wow, I missed this one so far.

You tab-gluing-speed is unbelievable :)

Before long you will need more tabs and parts to fulfill your needs.

There are some very, very demanding models around (not ships, but cars) These models for instance would keep you at least two weeks from the street:

http://e63papermodel.altervista.org/download.html

(only edge gluing, no tabs at all. They have some unbelievable detail)

Jan

Wow !!

super stuff Danny...

Nils

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed

- Steamship Ergenstrasse ex Laker Corsicana 1918- scale 1:87 scratchbuild

"Zeesboot"  heritage wooden fishing small craft around 1870, POB  clinker scratch build scale 1:24

Pilot Schooner # 5 ELBE  ex Wanderbird, scale 1:50 scratchbuild

Mississippi Sterwheelsteamer built as christmapresent for grandson modified kit build

Chebec "Eagle of Algier" 1753--scale 1:48-POB-(scratchbuild) 

"SS Kaiser Wilhelm der Grosse" four stacker passenger liner of 1897, blue ribbond awarded, 1:144 (scratchbuild)
"HMS Pegasus" , 16 gun sloop, Swan-Class 1776-1777 scale 1:64 from Amati plan 

-"Pamir" 4-mast barque, P-liner, 1:96  (scratchbuild)

-"Gorch Fock 2" German Navy cadet training 3-mast barque, 1:95 (scratchbuild) 

"Heinrich Kayser" heritage Merchant Steamship, 1:96 (scratchbuild)  original was my grandfathers ship

-"Bohuslän" , heritage ,live Swedish museum passenger steamer (Billings kit), 1:50 

"Lorbas", river tug, steam driven for RC, fictive design (scratchbuild), scale appr. 1:32

under restoration / restoration finished 

"Hjejlen" steam paddlewheeler, 1861, Billings Boats rare old kit, scale 1:50

Thanks David, Jan and Nils :). Jan, I've seen the Ferraris before but I can't remember the site they can be bought from. Do you know what it is?

This is the front suspension, steering and handlebars. The top bracket has not yet been glued in, as it needs to go through a tube at the front of the frame to enable the steering to turn. I actually made a mistake with the previous bike, gluing it in this stage, and had to cut it apart again. Lesson learned ;) :

IMG_5402.JPG

IMG_5403.JPG

IMG_5404.JPG

IMG_5405.JPG

IMG_5406.JPG

Danny

Cheers, Danny

The Headlight :

IMG_5407.JPG

IMG_5408.JPG

IMG_5409.JPG

The exhaust system. Some sections are glued together after fitting the first ones :

IMG_5414.JPG

IMG_5413.JPG

IMG_5412.JPG

IMG_5410.JPG

IMG_5411.JPG

Finally, the seat :

IMG_5415.JPG

Danny

Cheers, Danny

superb progress since I last looked in Danny :)    really looks great!

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

Thanks Popeye.

The two crankcase side covers, footpegs and levers :

IMG_5416.JPG

IMG_5417.JPG

IMG_5418.JPG

That's all the parts finished and glued into modules. All that's left now is to glue all the modules together :).

Danny

Cheers, Danny

Fitting the motor to the frame :

IMG_5419.JPG

IMG_5420.JPG

The airbox took a bit of tricky fitting, aligning the two pipes :

IMG_5421.JPG

IMG_5422.JPG

The exhaust system fitted rather well, although I had to cut one piece off and re-align it slightly. I started by gluing the two short pipes into the barrels :

IMG_5423.JPG

IMG_5424.JPG

The tank and seat had to be modified quite a bit before they'd fit properly. They both turned out OK :

IMG_5425.JPG

IMG_5426.JPG

Danny

Cheers, Danny

The model is now finished. I made a simple stand from cedar and gave everything a couple of coats of clear gloss :

Finished (1).JPG

Finished (2).JPG

Finished (3).JPG

Finished (4).JPG

Finished (7).JPG

Finished (5).JPG

Finished (6).JPG

Finished (9).JPG

Finished (8).JPG

My next "real" model will be a WW2 tank made again from Card. While waiting for it I downloaded a fairly simple ship - a German Monitor named Mosel. A link to it can be found in my Signature.

Danny

Cheers, Danny

lovely work Dan, do you feel like getting back to another wooden build ?

Its all part of Kev's journey, bit like going to the dark side, but with the lights on

All the best

Kevin :omg:

SAY NO TO PIRACY. SUPPORT ORIGINAL IDEAS AND MANUFACTURERS.
KEEP IT REAL!

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

On the build table

HMS Indefatigable 1794 by Kevin - Vanguard Models - 1:64 - Feb 2023 

HMHS Britannic by Kevin 

SD 14  - Marcle Models - 1/70 - March 2022 -  Bluebell - Flower Class - Revel - 1/72   U552 German U Boat - Trumpeter - 1/48  Amerigo Vespucci     1/84 - Panart-   HMS Enterprise  -CAF -  1/48     

Finished     

St-Nectan-Mountfleet-models-steam-trawler-1/32 - Completed June 2020

HMS Victory - Caldercraft/Jotika - 1/72 - Finished   Dorade renamed Dora by Kevin - Amati - 1/20 - Completed March 2021 

Stage Coach 1848 - Artesania Latina - 1/10 -Finished Lady Eleanor by Kevin - FINISHED - Vanguard Models - 1/64 - Fifie fishing boat

23 minutes ago, Kevin said:

lovely work Dan, do you feel like getting back to another wooden build ?

Thanks Kevin. I'm going to stick with Card for a while yet as I don't have a workshop suitable for wood models at the moment. That may change in the future.

BTW - I edited your Signature to make it a bit smaller. The links now work by clicking on the model's name instead of using a separate one.

20 minutes ago, druxey said:

Impressive, Dan! Well done. Aren't you going to build the rest of the Yamaha models as well? ;) 

Thanks David. I'm a bit "over" these particular kits - they aren't particularly well designed. My next kit of a WW2 German Tank looks like it will be quite challenging :).

Danny

Cheers, Danny

8 hours ago, Dan Vadas said:

Thanks Kevin. I'm going to stick with Card for a while yet as I don't have a workshop suitable for wood models at the moment. That may change in the future.

BTW - I edited your Signature to make it a bit smaller. The links now work by clicking on the model's name instead of using a separate one.

Danny

Thank you for sorting that out for me, looks much tidier 

Its all part of Kev's journey, bit like going to the dark side, but with the lights on

All the best

Kevin :omg:

SAY NO TO PIRACY. SUPPORT ORIGINAL IDEAS AND MANUFACTURERS.
KEEP IT REAL!

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

On the build table

HMS Indefatigable 1794 by Kevin - Vanguard Models - 1:64 - Feb 2023 

HMHS Britannic by Kevin 

SD 14  - Marcle Models - 1/70 - March 2022 -  Bluebell - Flower Class - Revel - 1/72   U552 German U Boat - Trumpeter - 1/48  Amerigo Vespucci     1/84 - Panart-   HMS Enterprise  -CAF -  1/48     

Finished     

St-Nectan-Mountfleet-models-steam-trawler-1/32 - Completed June 2020

HMS Victory - Caldercraft/Jotika - 1/72 - Finished   Dorade renamed Dora by Kevin - Amati - 1/20 - Completed March 2021 

Stage Coach 1848 - Artesania Latina - 1/10 -Finished Lady Eleanor by Kevin - FINISHED - Vanguard Models - 1/64 - Fifie fishing boat