Jump to content

Bluenose by CPDDET - Model Shipways - Scale 1:64 - First ship build

Recommended Posts

Egads man,


That's some skill you're learning/demonstrating ....those gears look "boss" (I think that's a pun)


I agree about the blacking nice shiny brass and painting wood where maybe not necessary....your wood skills are very detailed so the pieces look refined not just cobbled together.


I know where of you speak about working in garage...back when I lived in Montreal used to do automobile rebuilds in a sub zero weather...cut a hole in roof and installed drip kerosene heater...that almost got me divorced, but it at least ensured the Snap-On tools didn't stick to my skin...and the beer stayed cold...real cold.



Link to post
Share on other sites

I thought it best to build the windlass in sections with a 1/8 inch axel through each section. I’m going to post my progress as I proceed.


I started off making the windlass drums, also called gypsy heads among other things. Because I had plenty of cherry wood on hand I decided to use it. I first turned down a piece of ½ inch dowel rod to the largest dimension since this piece is slightly tapered.




Then turned a slight 5 degree taper.




Once that was done I shaped it with Escapement files and drilled a 1/8 inch hole for the axel.




Finished pieces before final sanding.




Next was the rope hawser side of the windlass. This is also tapered at about 5 degrees which I again did on the lathe, slightly tilting the headstock to achieve the taper.




Then drilled the 1/8 inch hole for the axle.




Here is the finished rope hawser drum




I then cut and glued on the horizontal whelps. Instead of fitting small wood pieces between these whelps I decided to cap the right end (looking forward) with a small disk. While this isn’t exactly what the plans call for, I thought it was a nice clean look.






For the whelps on the left end of the drum, I used a scraper to make the proper shape on a 2 inch piece of cherry wood and then cut it to the proper thickness and height.




It was much easier to use a temporary axle while gluing the whelps in place.




Here is a picture of the rope hawser drum with the whelps and windlass drum on the temporary axle.




Moving on

Link to post
Share on other sites

looking good cpddet but i have to do it old way i dont have tools like that i have to work with the casting i got and there a mess most of my casting can not be used there that bad of shape and yes i did contack model ship way and thay wont help me it is what it is

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 2 weeks later...

My next step was to make the 3 gears. The 2 smaller ones also needed banding.


I made the 2 small gears and the bands for them. Drilled the proper size hole in some stock brass on the lathe, cut them to the proper thickness and cut the bands as well. Then cut the gear teeth on the mill.






In order to keep everything aligned during assembly I made a simple jig and glued the gears to their bands.






I then made the pawl wheel out of wood and made the brass bands for that as well. Also made the 2 wood spacers that would fit on either side of the pawl wheel.




Next I made the large gear wheel, no bands required for this one.




The drum for the chain side required some shaping on the lathe as well as an end piece.




For the “iron” whelps on the chain drum I used 1/32 square brass bar stock. Cut 8 pieces a bit longer than needed, bent the dog leg in them to accommodate the shape of the drum, blackened them and glued them in place on the drum. Then trimmed off the excess and blackened the cut ends.








After staining the cherry wood to make it look a bit aged (Jacobean stain) and blackening all the brass pieces I was ready to assemble the windlass.




I used the jig to keep everything in line as I glued. Then transferred the entire piece to the black painted axel, adding the supports as I did. To add some detail I placed 2 small blackened brass bolts on each supports.



Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 2 weeks later...

Hi Dave,

Although I've been trying to stay true to Bluenose 1, I've used a lot of your ideas and techniques in my build.  I am currently working on the fore deck structures.  I like what you did with the brass fitting in the skylight holes.  Did you make that piece or did you use something you purchased?  It looks kind of like a rivet, but I can't find anything small enough.  I don't have the tools or skills to make a piece like that.  This is my first wooden ship!





PS. I live out near Yorkville.  I see you are also from the Chicago area.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Hey Ed, my first ship build as well. Welcome to the wonderful, tedious, maddening world of model ship building.


I'm almost positive I got the port lights at Modelers Central. They are in Australia so took a while to get them. You may want to ask around on one of the forums for someplace in the US.


Many years ago I lived in Sugar Grove. Now I'm just south of Huntley. 



Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 3 weeks later...

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

  • Create New...