Bluenose by CPDDET - Model Shipways - Scale 1:64 - First ship build

• 3 weeks later...

Finished up the forward hatch and the fife rail. The forward hatch was built in the same manner as the aft hatch and I used some of the kit’s laser cut parts for the fife rail.

IMG_0583.JPG.d010bfbb80b8609a70bf0bee360d4ba1.JPG

IMG_0580.JPG.7219a424057b016d8376b4cd58b3e76a.JPG

I decided to skip over both the deck pumps and the forward boom buffer as the plan, if all works out, is to make myself a present of a Sherline mill next month. The new mill, along with the lathe, should allow me to build the pumps and buffer with greater detail than the white metal pieces that came with the model.

So now it’s on to the forward skylight box, companionway and smoke stack. Things are slowing down as I attempt to increase my scratch building.

A very Merry Christmas to all!

Dave

Current build: NRG Half Hull

Previous build: MS Bluenose 

Hi Dave—

I too am new to model ship building and am currently slugging away at my second build — the Benjamin W Latham by Model Shipways. I have to tell you, your level of detail and precision blows me away. I’ll admit that I find myself often settling for ok, when that falls well short of the sort of perfection I see you achieve. Couple of questions: how often do you find yourself using materials that weren’t “in the box?” Do you have some sort of background that lends itself it your remarkable craftsmanship? If you have a significant other, how does he/she forgive you for the hours you must neglect them?  Seriously, you’re doing some remarkable work.  Have you watched Gary Brinker’s you tube series on his build of the Bluenose?  Lots of fun. Continued success with your efforts. 
Jim 

Dave,

The Bluenose is looking good!

Building: 1:64 HMS Revenge (Victory Models plans)

1:64 Cat Esther (17th Century Dutch Merchant Ships)

On the building slip: 1:72 French Ironclad Magenta (original shipyard plans)

On hold: 1:98 Mantua HMS Victory (kit bash), 1:96 Shipyard HMS Mercury

Favorite finished builds:  1:60 Sampang Good Fortune (Amati plans), 1:200 Orel Ironclad Solferino, 1:72 Schooner Hannah (Hahn plans), 1:72 Privateer Prince de Neufchatel (Chapelle plans), Model Shipways Sultana, Heller La Reale, Encore USS Olympia

Goal: Become better than I was yesterday

"The hardest part is deciding to try." - me

• 4 weeks later...

Won't be ordering the mill until later this month.

I've finished the forward skylight and the companionway and will be starting the smoke stack today.

Things are moving a bit more slowly than normal as I continue to refine scale, accuracy and technique.

My next post will include all three of the above pieces.

It’s been a while since I posted but I managed to build 3 deck pieces during that time.

The first piece is called a skylight on the build plans but is completely different that the skylight over the main cabin.

I started by cutting the corner pieces on the Byrnes saw.

001.JPG.7c714f0d757f3d1f209a2052ea9c3890.JPG

Then I made the side panels in the same way I have been doing: scoring a shallow line with a very fine tooth saw and widening these with a small, round stylus to simulate the separate boards. I also made a simple baseboard and got everything painted and stained.

002.JPG.375702985cfa701a0288a0968a57c75b.JPG

It was pretty straight forward from there, cutting everything to size and gluing them together. I drilled holes for the port light and installed the brass fittings

003.JPG.f13b3b04753646835117c86d2f260d5c.JPG

004.JPG.9f545024cf52712a87bfe65ceee587b3.JPG

After fashioning the top piece I glued that on to finish the piece.

005.JPG.458264ec8c750ab05edde954c541eda9.JPG

006.JPG.a21f3fbf1c88974f153e126e700cb497.JPG

Next was the companionway. I wanted to do a better build on this this piece than the skylight and really tried to keep everything in scale, including the size of the side and top boards, the width and height of the baseboard and such.  I started by building the 2 aft corners, cutting slots in which the companionway boards would fit into. I cut these much longer than needed for “do overs”.

007.JPG.61e18b8cf1cf7c00890248d01b0512a1.JPG

Then I fashioned the 2 forward corners like those on the skylight, again longer than needed for any “do overs”

008.JPG.e65d4a301404eb69fc29740cef6328d8.JPG

Instead of using a simple rectangular piece of wood for the base molding as I did on the skylight, I used a scraper to achieve better detail. I found it much easier to use a 4 inch long by 2 inch wide piece of stock basswood of the proper thickness, locked into a bench vice and scraped before cutting it to the proper height. This also allowed me to have more base molding than needed for “do overs”. Then I mitered and glued the corners.

009.JPG.ebe817669fe3b08d79c9d1fd035602f0.JPG

To avoid a gap between the aft base molding and the bottom companionway board I cut a threshold with a groove that the bottom of the companionway board would fit into.

010.JPG.8a343ca6fc95d40d129ed4f31ff7de61.JPG

Instead of using my usual method of scoring and using a stylus to simulate individual board, I decided to cut individual board of the proper scale and edge glue them. In order to show s bit of separation in the boards I lightly beveled the edges before gluing them together.

011.JPG.7c51e2fe8fb6f0c17c20512303e6acb1.JPG

After getting all the pieces painted and stained I began the assembly by gluing the aft corners with the threshold piece at the base and the forward corners with a stiffener at the base. The threshold and stiffener made sure these corner pieces would form a solid 90 degree angle to the base.

012.JPG.5972a702dd1048e270bd00964894714a.JPG

After carefully measuring and cutting the pieces I slid the companionway boards and side/top panels into place.

013.JPG.0728a9d4cbe16f3df8e42eba7f246261.JPG

Next was to fashion the 2 rails that support the top.

014.JPG.605b526cd291e03e3acfc8177aae6a6e.JPG

After painting these and building the top, I finished the assembly. It isn’t exactly the way I wanted it, but I think at his point it’s my best effort so far. But there is much room for improvement. 

015.JPG.6b8698d8cebe920c5cc71630fa8096db.JPG

016.JPG.ead2b32a2644d9b2f48d5f818388af5d.JPG

The last item was the dreadnaught stack. Using a piece of brass, I turned the cone shaped base on the lathe by rotating the headstock 15 degrees clockwise.

017.JPG.3cd550d1ce7746bd03cad8a326535768.JPG

018.JPG.53c6eac439b87639286d61dc7ded7680.JPG

Cutting the upright stack and the 2 side stacks was straight forward. It was the center piece that was tricky. Bothe ends of this piece needed to be cut at a 15 degree angle and they need to be perfectly parallel with each other. Since this was round stock it kept “rolling” slightly when I attempted to make the second cut with a razor saw and then with a jewelers saw. Finally I made a jig to hold the brass tube securely and cut both ends with a high speed tool and cut off disk. (thanks to overworked 247 for the tip on this tool).

019.JPG.7ce70f8dc5186a53e690a500c455c223.JPG

I filed the top end of the upright and both ends of the center piece with a round file for a better fit and  soldered the pieces together and then into the cone shaped base.

020.JPG.7e5ee9a98b2138ca22d29965a8638899.JPG

021.JPG.837522c514568c80bd07f358e4aecf26.JPG

Moving forward…..

I wanted to ask about your keel clamp.  Early on in the project I noticed you were using a homemade clamp based on a mini tripod with ball head.  That same thought went through my head a couple years ago but I ended up making a clamp without the ball head.  I'm not real happy with how mine works so far.  Then I noticed you switched to what looks like the Amati Keel Klamper in a few of the photos.  What made you switch and how do you like it so far?

The homemade keel was used because I already had the ball head and wood to build it. Sort of a cost savings device. It worked fine for the bulkhead installation.

But once I got to hull planking stage it became obsolete. I wanted the hull inverted for this step and my homemade keel clamp wouldn't work for that configuration.

The clamps on the Amati can be turned from being parallel to the support bar to being at a 90 degree angle to the support bar. This enables one to invert the hull and clamp onto the bulkheabulkheads. So I upgraded and have been extremely pleased with the Amati.

I was advised long ago by experienced builders to buy tools as needed and buy the best one can afford, advice I didn't always follow. I now have several hand tools I never use because I was anticipating a need that never happened. Had I researched more and asked experienced builders advice I could have saved myself unnecessary purchases.

Buying tools as one proceeds with their first build can really slow things down. But this hobby requires a lot of patience and by the time one finishes their first build they will have acquired a set of quality tools they will actually use.

I have to be especially careful as I'm a real tool nut. LOL

I'm a bit of a tool nut as well.  For me there's a higher level of satisfaction when I'm able to make something using a tool that I also made.  My homemade keel clamp is nicer to look at than it is to use I'm afraid.  Well, for certain tasks I'm sure it will be fine, but right now I'm needing something that holds the keel at two points further apart so it doesn't flex as much.  I'm afraid I'm going to crack something the way it's clamped right now.

Oddly enough the Amati Keel Klamper is hard to find in stock.  Maybe there's a boom of new modelers in 2020.  Once all the jigsaw puzzles sold out, the people turned to models.

Spoiler

vary nice work u have done so far cpddet  iam working on mine iam having so much trouble with  the plans and the manual lots of stuff dont match up at all i dont know if poeple are having the same problem as me with the kit

I've reviewed your build thus far and am impressed by the care and craftsmanship you exhibit.  It is an inspiration for me to better my intermediate (at best) technique, yet in this line we all must chart our own course.  Doing the best we can , within practical limits, can be a source of satisfaction one can't put a price on.  

Completed builds:  Khufu Solar Barge - 1:72 Woody Joe

Current project(s): Gorch Fock restoration 1:100, Billing Wasa (bust) - 1:100 Billings, Great Harry (bust) 1:88 ex. Sergal 1:65

iam trying to find out  long the main mast is i know there two pieces two it dont how long thay are thats where is stuck right now