Nina by knightyo (Alan) - Mini-Mamoli - 1:106

• 5 months later...

Metalwork around the rudder has been slowly taking place, and the straps are loosely placed on the rudder.  They will be further shaped to the rudder and blackened before being permanently affixed (no idea how I'm going to permanently affix these. The wire bolts won't really have any strength long-term, so am really pondering this one).  I had quite a learning curve in learning how to uniformly fashion the straps; many, many scrap pieces throughout.   The photo also shows the bits of 30 ga wire that will be made into bolts. I'm just laying them down on the strip in the middle to see how the thickness of the wire will look from a scale perspective.  I'm thinking of having 2 bolts per plank.  The rudder is basically made up of 3 planks.

image.jpeg.418d0cfc1bad11b88670d22ea5f9c10c.jpeg

I've also been experimenting with the finish on the hull.  Goal is to try and make the finish appear to be as "real/aged" as possible, so there are a lot of green/brown washes on there now in addition to other white washes.  The plan is to have shellac on the model, and I'm thinking of extending that down all around the acrylic on the hull as well to give it a bit of a wet/shiny appearance.  Still debating that one, however.  The gouges in the hull are for the brass tubing in which the lighting will run through from the ship down into the stand where the power source will be. When the tubing has been installed, the keel will be replaced and everything tidied up.

image.jpeg.b6f084c229339567637f379c416f3ed1.jpeg

• 4 months later...

I find the below to be the most enjoyable part of building a ship.  Yes, I'm pretty sure I'm on the spectrum.   These are pear, and from old pear blocks I had on hand.  Rough-cut dowels were pulled through a standard progressive drawplate, and the ends sanded down to points allowing me to gently glue them into the predrilled holes.

image.jpeg.b1f9ec644e2c6bf85de53296dc33a786.jpeg

And then clipped/sanded down

image.jpeg.d1677350905e3742c6a0a8574d643398.jpeg

Just a photo of the topside of one of the pintles before the holes were drilled into the sides. 

image.jpeg.e27e551bb6b6f21dcee2b12697c6ccc3.jpeg

And finally, the rudder assemblies are about complete. I'm not going to hang the rudder until the topside is complete and the model has been installed onto its base. The ends of the bolts were cut via a rolling motion under my X-acto blade which provided a tiny lip on the ends. They were then inserted into the pintles/gudgeons with a bit of superglue; overall, they hold the pintles/gudgeons more securely than I thought they would.  I'm trying to decide whether or not they should be blackened or left bare. Each one of them reflects light at a different angle, so while it's fun to show that I created such small bolts, it's also frustrating, in that they don't look uniformly placed.  I think I'll eventually prime/paint over them as they should be black in color anyway.

image.jpeg.49a964f5736be29d24400f2803096b20.jpeg

Nice work my friend, looks great.

Bob M.:cheers:

Start so you can Finish !!

Finished:            The  Santa Maria -Amati 1:65, La Pinta- Amati 1:65, La Nina -Amati 1:65 ,                                                 Hannah Ship in Bottle-Amati 1:300 : The Sea of Galilee Boat-Scott Miller-1:20

Current Build:   The Mayflower: Amati 

On Hold:            HMS Pegasus: Amati