Rules for posting and joining the Medway Longboat group project

kneesadded3.jpg

You will notice a few "pinned topics" at the top of this group project area.  These pinned topics were set up as an area for all of you to discuss those related subjects as it pertains to the Medway Longboat project.  If you have a question or comment related to them please post within those topics so everyone can easily find them later.  For example,  There will be a pinned topic on planking your longboat.  Please post any questions you have about planking in that pinned topic or in your own log for "your" longboat model.  

Other than those pinned topics, we ask that you only create a build log of your own.  Please title it  similar to the example listed below.

"Chuck's Medway Longboat (1742)"

This will make it easier to read if at any time in the future we have to move these build logs somewhere else.

It will work just like any other build log.   This forum should not have any topics in it other than the properly named "longboat build logs" and pinned topics.  Should you want to ask a question or post something,  make sure it is posted in either a log or one of the pinned topics.  Dont start a new topic. If for whatever reason you guys feel there is a need for a new pinned topic because your discussion doesnt relate to the ones already there....just let me know and I will start another one for you.  You know the drill....this basically works like all of the other group project areas.

Feel free to ask any questions about this group here.  All questions and comments are appreciated and very helpful.

To join this project,  you must purchase a longboat kit.  This group project will have a two parts.  First there is the hull. 

Then there is a secondary mini kit for masting and rigging available should you want to add those details.  

Add link here

It will be another two weeks in all probability.   I have to create the page on my Syren website and set it up for ordering.   You will enter that in the cart when you check out.  I am also making ten more kits right now.   Tomorrow the guys from my local club are coming by the shop to pick up theirs and begin working on it.

So everything is going well.  I just finished setting up this area on MSW.  So we are almost there!!!😊

Chuck

1 hour ago, Chuck said:

Nope...I wont be there either.   I couldnt get away this year.  Maybe next year.

DOH! :default_wallbash:

Chuck Seiler
San Diego Ship Modelers Guild
Nautical Research Guild

Current Build:: Colonial Schooner SULTANA (scratch from Model Expo Plans), Hanseatic Cog Wutender Hund, John Smith Shallop
Completed:  Missouri Riverboat FAR WEST (1876) Scratch, 1776 Gunboat PHILADELPHIA (Scratch 1/4 scale-Model Shipways plans)

So, those of us going to the conference, then meandering around the Southwest for a week and may not have access to the interweb....can we reserve a spot in line now?

Chuck Seiler
Nautical Research Guild

Current Build:: Colonial Schooner SULTANA (scratch from Model Expo Plans), Hanseatic Cog Wutender Hund, John Smith Shallop
Completed:  Missouri Riverboat FAR WEST (1876) Scratch, 1776 Gunboat PHILADELPHIA (Scratch 1/4 scale-Model Shipways plans)

No reservations and lines......I will make em as fast as I can.  I am just a one man shop so please understand....thanks guys.

Chuck

Just a quick update.  I am almost there and will let folks know when the next batch is ready.  Here is a photo of the hull kit and everything you will get.

hullkitparts.jpg

Chuck

UPDATE.....

I am getting really close to releasing the first ten hull kits.   I am just waiting on delivery of the plan sheets, and some cedar sheets to laser cut one last sheet of parts per kit. I should get those on Wednesday.  I am thinking by next Thursday they will be on my site and available for purchase.   

Lastly....I know folks got frustrated when trying to order the barge kit when it was launched, because I couldnt keep up with the demand.  I am sorry about that.  So I want to tell you how I plan on making Longboat kits as best I can this time around.  

As a one man shop,  I can produce 10 longboats kits per week without wanting to stick a fork in my eye.  Each batch of Longboat kits however requires about 400 sheets of milled Cedar and boxwood.   If I can get a steady stream of 400 milled sheets of wood per week we wouldnt have an issue.  My wood guy however, would run for the hills if I asked him for that.   He has done an outstanding job milling my wood and I dont want to scare him away.   I would literally be out of business otherwise.   Or I would have to start using the same old crummy basswood that every other kit company uses.   Mostly because you can buy thousands of sheets of basswood at a time.  You cant say the same for Cedar, Boxwood and Swiss Pear.  But because I am upgrading to a better wood and dont plan to stop,  please have patience.   My wood guy actually supplies me with about 1000 sheets of precision milled boxwood, swiss pear, Cedar and Cherry sheets every month to meet my production demands.  He only does this part time if you can believe it.   I used to order from Crown and Wood Project Source but it would have put me out of business if I wanted them to mill me 1000 sheets per month.  LOL  Not many sources for this stuff are available.

So we shall see how it goes.  I will have enough wood on hand to make a second batch of ten kits next week so I will start immediately after I get it on Wednesday.  After that, I am at the mercy of my wonderful WOOD GUY.    He is laughing right now standing over my shoulder because he knows he is going to busy for a many months.

Thanks in advance and dont hesitate to ask me any questions.   

Hah.. first 10 already sold it appears, in only 3 hours.  Looks like you have your work cut out for you supplying the demand for this one Chuck.  Hopefully I'll get in on the batch you get out after Thanksgiving.

Have a great holiday!

3 hours ago, GuntherMT said:

Hah.. first 10 already sold it appears, in only 3 hours.  Looks like you have your work cut out for you supplying the demand for this one Chuck.  Hopefully I'll get in on the batch you get out after Thanksgiving.

Have a great holiday!

was waiting for the second batch anyway😁

Heghlu'meH QaQ jajvam

Slainte gu mhath

L.H.

I am about half way through laser cutting the next batch of ten kits folks.   I will announce sometime next week when they are done.  Probably Tuesday or Wednesday....ish.  Remember to set up your build logs if you plan to buy one and get the discount.  This is a tremendous help because then I know how many more I need to make.

Ok guys.....the next batch of ten kits is available.  I know that they wont last very long.  I apologize in advance for the wait but I am making them as fast as I can.  The next batch of ten kits will be a few weeks in all probability as I wait for the next load of milled Cedar sheets and the holidays. 

I am still waiting on my order from the sawmill, then they are given to my wood guy to mill into sheets.   Then I can start kit production on teh next batch.

Happy Thanksgiving guys.  

Chuck

Woohoo! I lucked in and managed to snaffle one of this batch - just in time for my Birthday too! My wife thanks you Chuck. 😊😊😊

Thank You all for the orders and business!!!  Enjoy the kit guys.   And for a sneak peak into the exciting world of a one-man shop........the Syren sweat shop......longboat kit production in progress.   Today's abysmally tedious, stick a fork in my eye excitement!!!!  😊 

kitproduction.jpg

Well Chuck, they do say that self employment is a good recipe for slavery! Now stop whining and get back to work! 😉😄😄😄

The only way I see to increase production is to get a bigger table. :P  I'll get my coat and go quietly..... coat_32.png.6b9dbb32ac13e0faf9d51d93900ee706.png

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Well, since I am still out of the country it looks like I'll be relegated to the third batch on this build.  Bummer for me!

Edit:. I lied!   Took a while, but finally got the payment portal to process the payment from my phone, so got in on this wave!

Edited by GuntherMT

Woooooo hooooo!  I made it!  I'm in. :cheers::champagne:   Which one of those is mine?

Seriously, thought....great job Chuck.  We appreciate the effort.  I hope to do you proud. :imNotWorthy:

Chuck Seiler
Nautical Research Guild

• 2 months later...

base.jpg

Custom Engraved bases are now available for the Longboat project.  Click here for the page on the online store.

https://www.syrenshipmodelcompany.com/medway-longboat-1742.php#!/Medway-Longboat-Custom-Engraved-Base/p/131063155/category=31834291

The Engraved base is a kit that you must build. You get all the parts needed to assemble the base including the burl veneer for the top and cradle pieces. We can custom engrave your name and date on the end pieces as shown in the photograph. Be specific and please realize that there is a space limitation for characters. So enter only your name and the date you want engraved. If you dont want your name added, please write "no custom engraving". Then you will only see the Longboat name on the front and back of the base.

The veneer is glued to the top and the four sides are then glued to it. But to prevent the top from warping you must also glue the scrap veneer to the bottom of the board as well. This evens out the board so it doesnt cup badly. The scrap veneer is also included. The veneer is glued on with Titebond on both sides. Dont be skimpy with the glue. Spread it all over the 1/4" thick cherry board with no gaps which would cause bubbles to form in the veneer top. Spread out a thin coat over the entire board and then clamp the veneer to it. Do this on both sides at once and then clamp all three pieces between two thicker boards if you get my meaning. This presses everything nicely together so you wont get any bubbles.

Then glue the two side pieces into position. Sand the ends flush with the front and back of the board. Lastly, add the longer engraved pieces along the front and back of the base. Easy as pie!!! An extra six dollars will be charged for shipping do the the size and shape of the base parts.

Yes....I should have had another ten kits available this week but I had to stop and switch gears to make about 300 packages of rope.  I am only about half way through.   Having said that,  I am still shooting for this weekend.  I have all the laser cut parts completed for the ten kits....I just have to pack them up and add the other fiddly bits!!!

Chuck

Nope.....once they are listed you can order.   I cant take pre-orders.   That just ends with somebody being mad at me.  Its a first come first serve thing.  Trust me .....I have gotten an ear-full, LOL.

Chuck