Le Gros Ventre by marsalv - FINISHED - 1:48 - POF

I like the principle of cutting the sternrail in glued pieces of wood rather than wanting to bend a single wooden piece. Efficient and smart 🙂!

Jean-Paul

'You are not carving a bear with a chain saw here folks',

Chuck Passaro, ´Queen Anne Style Barge´ manual of instructions

Current builds :

Finished build :

Next on list :

• Santa Maria boat - Korabel (Ukraine) - 1:24

Thank you guys for nice comments.

Scrollwork and moldings are done with CNC milling maschine. The same situation is for the parts on next pictures. All carvings are made with CNC. It is likely that some of you will condemn this process, but you will not stop technical progress. I would be quite interested in your opinion on the use of modern techniques for creating carvings.

LGV_497.jpg

LGV_498.jpg

LGV_499.jpg

LGV_500.jpg

LGV_501.jpg

LGV_502.jpg

LGV_503.jpg

LGV_504.jpg

LGV_505.jpg

My only problem with earlier CNC carvings and moldings was that they looked like they were done on a machine. You have achieved a level of proficiency that makes your work look very natural, like they could have been made by a talented sculptor. Who could have a problem with that?

Greg

website
Admiralty Models

moderator Echo Cross-section build
Admiralty Models Cross-section Build

Finished build
Pegasus, 1776, cross-section

Current build
Speedwell, 1752

1 hour ago, dvm27 said:

My only problem with earlier CNC carvings and moldings was that they looked like they were done on a machine. You have achieved a level of proficiency that makes your work look very natural, like they could have been made by a talented sculptor. Who could have a problem with that?

I fully agree with this - The level of carvings that can be achieved by CNC is astounding.  Although I do not have the required IT skills to do this sort of thing I would happily pay someone to do it for me.  I tried carving a figurehead and it turned out looking like a bad zombie holding a skateboard.  There is no way my carving skills would end up on a ship.  

While the CNC results are unarguably excellent, they lack the irregularity and sharper edges of manually carved works. This, of course, is simply a personal observation and opinion. Manual carving seems, to me at least, more 'soul' in its imperfections. I suppose such idiosyncrasies could be programmed into CNC!

Be sure to sign up for an epic Nelson/Trafalgar project if you would like to see it made into a TV series  http://trafalgar.tv

I think i would prefer to see this method rather than 3d printed versions, and why would you put a barnacle on such a beautiful piece of craftmanship if you are not a carver. We can't be skilled in every aspect of our hobby and I see no difference between this and using a milling machine or a lathe to create joints and components.

Finished builds are 

1/35 Endeavour's Longboat by Artesania Latina

1/36 scratch built Philadelphia Gunboat from the Smithsonian Plans

Current build is

Scratch build Boudroit's Monograph for La Jacinthe at 1/36

On 8/18/2020 at 9:40 AM, dvm27 said:

Greg I couldn't agree with you more. Now were can I get one of those  CNC carvers. Very very nice marsaly and enjoying looking at your build. Gary

On 8/18/2020 at 11:08 AM, marsalv said:

some of you will condemn this proces

Who could possibly condemn such amazing work. Carving by hand is no more skill, and probably less, than mastering CNC as you have. 

Regards,

Glenn

Current Build: HMS Winchelsea
Completed Builds: HM Flirt (paused) HM Cutter CheerfulLady NelsonAmati HMS Vanguard,  
HMS Pegasus, Fair American, HM Granado, HM Pickle, AVS, Pride of Baltimore, Bluenose

• 2 weeks later...

Thank you guys for your feedback. My experience with hand carving is minimal and not very good. Therefore, the use of CNC milling maschne for carvings seemed to be the only possible solution. But even the actual production of cnc carvings requires knowledge of several computer programs to create a 3D model and prepare data for the CNC milling machine. So it's not just about turning on cnc and waiting.

Answer to scrubbyj427 - CNC maschine is small maschine made in China, but so far I'm satisfied.

Now some new pictures - stem.

LGV_506.jpg

LGV_507.jpg

LGV_508.jpg

LGV_509.jpg

LGV_510.jpg

LGV_511.jpg

LGV_512.jpg

LGV_513.jpg

On 9/12/2020 at 4:34 PM, No Idea said:

I like mine but find the indexing is not that accurate. 

I'm surprised, as I find the Proxxon mill very accurate. Have you tried adjusting the gib strips to eliminate any play in the 3 axes? I've not had any problem with backlash with mine, but if it an issue I suspect there's information on the web on how to eliminate it.

Derek

Cheers, Derek

Current build:   Duchess of Kingston

On hold:              HMS Winchelsea

Previous builds:  HMS SpeedyEnglish Pinnace, Royal Yacht Caroline (gallery),

Victory Cross-section (gallery), US Clipper Albatros, Red Dragon (years ago!)

On the stocks:    18th Century Longboat

Awesome Work ! Can you tell me where i can buy this holder for the little Proxxon vice ? Or its selfmade ?

grafik.png.005a0d40ac522ea119426c6121f5f463.png

"Tout le monde connaît le nom du Vengeur,
combien peu connaissent celui du Redoutable!"
-- Auguste Jal, 1867

https://www.olivers-historic-shipyard.com/

on Facebook Olivers Historic Shipyard
on YouTube  Olivers Historic Shipyard
on Instagram  Olivers Historic Shipyard

in work:

La Belle 1/36 POF
Le Redoutable 1/48 POF; 74-Gun Temeraire-Class by Jacques-Noël Sané
Bucentaure 1/48 POF; 80-Gun Bucentaure-Class by Jacques-Noël Sané