Le Gros Ventre by marsalv - FINISHED - 1:48 - POF

Such luxurious cabins !!!

I want to sail on this ship when she is finished!

When I see work of this standard I feel I should cancel my  membership of the forum. A-M-A-Z-I-N-G  !

Jim.

I cut it twice . . . . . and it's still too short!

HMS Leopard 1790; scratch build 1:80 PoB

Cross Section - HMS Leopard 1790 - 1:44         

What a magnificent work !

Jean-Paul

'You are not carving a bear with a chain saw here folks',

Chuck Passaro, ´Queen Anne Style Barge´ manual of instructions

Current builds :

Finished build :

Next on list :

• Santa Maria boat - Korabel (Ukraine) - 1:24

Well, I won't miss out on this work of art!  I'm a little late to the party, but there still seems to be plenty of build ahead.  All of the smallest attention to detail is so lovely and perfectly rendered.  You're giving ArchJofo a run for his money in the Chandlery.

We are all works in progress, all of the time.

Wow, Marsalv - what a talent you are!  I'm just completely blown away by all of it.  This is truly inspiring stuff!

I particularly like your cut-aways.  I have never seen anyone else approach it in quite this way;  you seem to have maximized the long-view through the ship, in places, while adding a uniquely a-symmetrical artistic flair to the openings.  It is all just so good.

The lead-lined manger is just perfection, from my point of view.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Marsalv - Just been catching up and was about to say that every time I look in the work keeps getting better and better but realized that isn't the case your work has been at this extraordinary level of precision right from the start.

I don't often have cause to say this,  but for me I genuinely find your build inspiring and/or aspiring (not sure of my english here) even though I have no illusions of being able to replicate the same result - thank you. One question if I may ? in your earlier post you show your plank caulking method - is it  thin card stock you are using or are they very thin hornbeam strips ?

I'll keep you from your work no longer - Stay safe - Cheers Pete

On 3/27/2020 at 7:44 PM, marsalv said:

Some deck details - inner waterways, binding strake, carlings and ledges.

LGV_380.jpg

A magnificent work and a perfect mastery of the different techniques. It is superb!

Jean-Paul

'You are not carving a bear with a chain saw here folks',

Chuck Passaro, ´Queen Anne Style Barge´ manual of instructions

Current builds :

Finished build :

Next on list :

• Santa Maria boat - Korabel (Ukraine) - 1:24

I think that once commercial kit makers become as skilled as Masalv and Chuck are at CNC carvings the hobby will be changed forever...in a good way. 

Greg

website
Admiralty Models

moderator Echo Cross-section build
Admiralty Models Cross-section Build

Finished build
Pegasus, 1776, cross-section

Current build
Speedwell, 1752

It's a matter of taste. Somehow, to me, machine carvings lack a certain quality that the hand-carved pieces have. They are, perhaps, a little too perfect. Also, the surface finish of a machine tool gives a different surface finish to that of the burnishing produced by an edge tool.

Be sure to sign up for an epic Nelson/Trafalgar project if you would like to see it made into a TV series  http://trafalgar.tv

On 1/29/2021 at 5:26 AM, marsalv said:

To PeteB: I used the black translucent paper for the caulking.

The last stem decorations are added. All carvings are made with CNC milling maschine with small manual corrections.

LGV_661.jpg

LGV_662.jpg

LGV_663.jpg

LGV_664.jpg

LGV_665.jpg

Hi Marsalv. Have a question for you. What program are you using for doing your carvings?  I just may purchase the same one. At the moment am looking at V Carving which might be the route for me to go.  Thank you and keep up the outstanding work. Gary

Edited by garyshipwright

Thank you guys for all likes and comments.

I understand that for some people, the use of CNC machines is a somewhat controversial topic. On the other hand, I remember how I started modeling about 40 years ago with a hand saw and a set of files. Today, no one dares to use various electrical devices that make it easier for us modelers to work. From this point of view, the CNC machine is just another evolutionary step.

To garyshipwright: I am using VCarve Desktop.

I am starting work on main capstan parts - some pictures from production.

LGV_666.jpg

LGV_667.jpg

LGV_668.jpg

LGV_669.jpg

LGV_670.jpg

LGV_671.jpg

LGV_672.jpg

LGV_673.jpg

LGV_674.jpg

LGV_675.jpg

Whether it’s handwork with traditional tools, or working with technology - engineering the process for producing the results is always the greatest challenge, IMO.  The results you are getting with CNC are superb, but the machines will only do what you tell them to.  Your talent as a maker of fine things is abundantly clear, even if the means of expressing it is less familiar to most, including myself.

Edited by Hubac's Historian

The results speak for themselves and I see a masterclass in CNC programming. It must be so difficult to work out all of the cutting passes and just how to hold the piece which probably needs turning around. How you work out the datum on something like that is incredible. This is an art in itself and more than likely the future of model ship building. I just wish that I could do it to be honest