Le Gros Ventre by marsalv - FINISHED - 1:48 - POF

Beautiful work Marsalv!  Thank you for sharing your build progress and techniques!  I bought the monograph off eBay years ago when it was listed for a great deal, and have always wanted to build it once I gained more skill and experience.  It's a relatively plain ship compared to some of the other Ancre subjects when it comes to ornamentation, but I think it's a beauty.

Mike

Current Wooden builds:  Amati/Victory Pegasus  MS Charles W. Morgan  Euromodel La Renommèe  

Plastic builds:    SB2U-1 Vindicator 1/48  Five Star Yaeyama 1/700  Pit Road Asashio and Akashi 1/700 diorama  Walrus 1/48 and Albatross 1/700  Special Hobby Buffalo 1/32  Eduard Sikorsky JRS-1 1/72  IJN Notoro 1/700  Akitsu Maru 1/700

Completed builds :  Caldercraft Brig Badger   Amati Hannah - Ship in Bottle  Pit Road Hatsuzakura 1/700   Hasegawa Shimakaze 1:350

F4B-4 and P-6E 1/72  Accurate Miniatures F3F-1/F3F-2 1/48  Tamiya F4F-4 Wildcat built as FM-1 1/48  Special Hobby Buffalo 1/48

Citroen 2CV 1/24 - Airfix and Tamiya  Entex Morgan 3-wheeler 1/16

Terminated build:  HMS Lyme (based on Corel Unicorn)  

On the shelf:  Euromodel Friedrich Wilhelm zu Pferde; Caldercraft Victory; too many plastic ship, plane and car kits

Future potential scratch builds:  HMS Lyme (from NMM plans); Le Gros Ventre (from Ancre monographs), Dutch ship from Ab Hoving book, HMS Sussex from McCardle book, Philadelphia gunboat (Smithsonian plans)

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Looks like you have little to no fairing to do amidships. I assume that's not an 8-axis machine. Imagine havinga mill that could also cut the changing bevels of the frames!

Greg

website
Admiralty Models

moderator Echo Cross-section build
Admiralty Models Cross-section Build

Finished build
Pegasus, 1776, cross-section

Current build
Speedwell, 1752

To Dirk - I bought this machine from one Czech company - https://cnc.inshop.cz/cnc-frezky-a-routery/mala-modelarska-cnc-frezka-pro-gravirovani-a-ryti. This company is co-owned with one man from German and milling maschines are made in China under inspection people from German. So I hope the quality of production will also be under tight control. Milling speed is in my case cca 15-20 mm/s, time required for one frame production is aprox. 7 minutes (milling maschine makes 10 passes). 

Beveling was done in two phases, rough sanding was made with help of Proxxon maschines, fine sanding was made manually with sanding paper glued on the wooden sticks. Beveled frames are temporarily situated on the keel.

LGV_078.jpg

LGV_079.jpg

LGV_080.jpg

LGV_081.jpg

LGV_082.jpg

LGV_083.jpg

LGV_084.jpg

LGV_085.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Wonderful work, really exceptional - and i do like the radiator in the workshop, must get one soon.

Keith

Current Build:-

Cangarda (Steam Yacht) - Scale 1:24

Previous Builds:-

Schooner Germania (Nova) - Scale 1:36

https://modelshipworld.com/topic/19848-schooner-germania-nova-by-keithaug-scale-136-1908-2011/

Schooner Altair by KeithAug - Scale 1:32 - 1931

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/12515-schooner-altair-by-keithaug-scale-132-1931/?p=378702

J Class Endeavour by KeithAug - Amati - Scale 1:35 - 1989 after restoration.

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/10752-j-class-endeavour-by-keithaug-amati-scale-135-1989-after-restoration/?p=325029

Other Topics

Nautical Adventures

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/13727-nautical-adventures/?p=422846

Hi Marsalv - Can't help but keep going back and admiring your work from start to date - just beautiful clean joinery especially the way you have cut the limbers - I was wondering if you could let us in on the secret ? It looks like some sort of collar around a mill bit which is guided by the batten and limits the depth ? I can't work out if its stationary or rotating with the mill bit - Could you enlighten me please. Cheers Pete

5 hours ago, marsalv said:

To PeteB - you basically answered yourself - see picture.

Hi Marsalv -  All today I have had all sorts of high tech options from double ball races to modified live centers fitted with a mill bit flying around what grey matter is left - I should have known to first apply the old standby - KISS. - Thanks mate for putting me out of my misery - cheers Pete

• 2 weeks later...

Marsalv, excellent joinery. What kind of wood is it and how did you manage to make a thick piece of wood bend around the bow like that?

Able bodied seaman, subject to the requirements of the service.

"I may very well sink, but I'm damned if I'll Strike!" JPJ

My Pacific Northwest Discovery Series:

On the slipways in the lumberyard

Union, 1792 - 1:48 scale - POF Scratch build

18th Century Longboat - circa 1790 as used in the PNW fur trade - FINISHED

Future Builds (Wish List)

Columbia Redidiva, 1787

HM Armed Tender Chatham, 1788

HMS Discovery, 1789 Captain Vancouver

Santiago, 1775 - Spanish Frigate of Explorer Bruno de Hezeta

Lady Washington, 1787 - Original Sloop Rig

Hi Dowmer, deck clamps are made from pear wood. I use the old bender (first picture) for wood bending. Not the shaped end, but the heating tube to which I place a water-soaked cloth. Steam from the water heats the wood and makes the bending easier.

The deck clamps are attached to the hull. Now I am going to finish the stern.

IMG_9336.jpg

LGV_133.jpg

LGV_134.jpg

LGV_135.jpg

LGV_136.jpg