marsalv

Le Gros Ventre by marsalv - 1:48 - POF

I have the Ancre monograph and was thinking of building this ship sometime down the road.  Your work is so perfect though, I don’t think I’ll be able to.  You have set the bar to an unreachable level for us mere modeling mortals.

Interesting that this French orlop deck has round-up to the beams. British practice had flat ones. Perhaps more water leaked down in a French ship! Beautifully realized.

Stunning work. I followed your Royal Caroline build with great interest, but have only just discovered this one. You have moved to an even higher level with Le Gros Ventre. I also find it very encouraging that you achieve so much with Proxxon tools. I bought their micro-mill when I saw you using it on the Caroline - you should be on commission!

One question. I've just read through your log from the beginning and in the first post you said the ship had no orlop deck, but now you are building the orlop.  Is the apparent contradiction because the orlop is removable, and so not recorded as a deck?

Derek

Hi Derek, thanks for reply. Information at the beginning of the log I meant that there is no fixed orlop deck. At first I thought I wouldn't install this removable orlop deck at all, but later I changed my decision.

I added the barrels to the water hold and covered the whole with the remaining deck beams.

LGV_351.jpg

LGV_352.jpg

LGV_353.jpg

LGV_354.jpg

LGV_355.jpg

LGV_356.jpg

Your work is just simply stunning and very inspiring too.

Can I ask about the vice you use on your mill?  I see that it tilts which is a very useful thing to have.  Did you purchase it as a tilting vice or have you modified an existing vice.  The reason I ask is because I could do with one just like it.

5 hours ago, No Idea said:

Your work is just simply stunning and very inspiring too.

Can I ask about the vice you use on your mill?  I see that it tilts which is a very useful thing to have.  Did you purchase it as a tilting vice or have you modified an existing vice.  The reason I ask is because I could do with one just like it.

Rutland do a version of it.

Here is the link for you.

Great to help out a fellow Yam Yam

Regards

Noel

https://www.rutlands.co.uk/sp+woodworking-tilting-angle-vice-100mm+DK7104?tyah=y