Liveship Vivacia by Nikbud - Mantua - 1/64 - kitbashed from the Mantua Pinta kit

22 hours ago, Wallace said:

(I would be afraid to mess up the finish). 

That is exactly why I will almost probably definitely leave out the trenails…..😁

22 hours ago, Wallace said:

Let whoever is looking 

Knowing my family that will just be me then.....😢

22 hours ago, Katsumoto said:

Love the endcaps. Please unstained,

Thanks Peter, I almost probably definitely will go unstained 😁

Completed Build --- Virginia 1819 - Artesania Latina

Other Models      --- German Armor plus others    Mastermind

Current Build --- Liveship Vivacia

A little update on the Vivacia progress, where I at last start on the Keel…….

First up was to glue the 2x2mm rabbet strip ( that I had previously bent way back in October on page 1…) to the false keel.  I used a thick bead of Gorilla wood glue to make sure I had a strong join.

Bow;

3201.thumb.jpg.2ad141f82398f9ed8111dc9ad4fa582e.jpg

Stern;

3202.thumb.jpg.56b6be66f8144278bc6bf500d2c0540e.jpg

I left this to dry/cure for a day or two and started on the stem.

Remember this from page 2?

1005.thumb.jpg.08a92e4c4fb1fb18c657cf8c7948fbae.jpg

I knew that the hull/rabbet shape would probably not match the plan I had drawn so I cut the three pieces out with room to spare. All was going well until Mr Hamfistedness showed up for a cuppa;

3203.thumb.jpg.e8d025aa8f2d61876aa63d644b450fb1.jpg

I remade the stem from two separate pieces, hopefully to avoid any weak spots. I shaped it using different sanding bits in the dremel;

3204.thumb.jpg.88900ea633ac0b5a8b6c42bc06359078.jpg

Now, if you have been paying attention to this log you will know that I have an aversion to using the first (or second) piece I make, so true to type, I decided that I didn’t like the height and shape of the top part. So I spent another afternoon making another one.

3205.thumb.jpg.4ec5cfd8c2c949f778451655443c5331.jpg

The second part of the stem was roughly cut out and with much testing and dry fitting was made to fit both the first piece and the hull. The “outside” edge of the stem will be formed later when all three pieces are glued up. I found the best way to work was to complete the join between the first and second piece and only then form the inner/rabbet edge of the second piece. The lip at the front will be where Vivacia’s torso will start;

3206.thumb.jpg.9db20335dccf8f865f5b7fd430e13af3.jpg

At this point I started looking at the “gammon hole”;

3207.thumb.jpg.bc9f82431e5a66aad55ef3f5c55a1b77.jpg

I decided that once the hole was made there may be a weak point along the wood grain above the hole. So I cut the top off the stem piece, and made a horizontal strip over the gammon hole. The front of this horizontal piece will have an end cap over it, the rear will be curved to allow the bowsprit to lay on it and the top will have a couple of pin heads to represent reinforcement bolts.

I started to make the third stem piece. To make it easier to fashion this part I glued the upper stem pieces together. I wanted to make the joins stand out so I mixed a little Tamiya black in with the Gorilla glue, time will tell if this works or not………….

3208.thumb.jpg.15bee301acec146d8ece214870b30994.jpg

While the glue was drying I made the sternpost. I have covered it in the sealer used previously. It will be sanded, sealed and sanded again before fixing to the stern.

3209.thumb.jpg.34433832dc95334210ad50b748022cb8.jpg

At this point the Admiral needed the table for dinner so I had to pack the shipyard away. She also informed me of various duties I am required for over the next few days, I have no idea when I’ll get permission to play again!

Cheers, n have fun!

39 minutes ago, Wallace said:

That stem looks very professional mate, 

Thanks Mark I do appreciate that.

40 minutes ago, Wallace said:

are you sure it (only) took you three attempts . 

Well as long as you don't include the two attempts to make a 5x5mm walnut strip to bend along the bow curve...…………..😢

Thank you for the kind words, Peter.

8 hours ago, Katsumoto said:

is that rabbet strip just as wide as the stem pieces?

The rabbet strip is 2mm wide, and the stem is 5mm wide. It should be enough of a difference to fit the planking in. I was going to notch the wales so they would fit in the rabbet too, but I think it would be a weak spot and likely to split the wood so the wales will just butt up to the stempost.

So I managed to illicit permission from the Admiral to open the shipyard for a few hours before I return to work tomorrow……………

I continued with the stem, and made the third/lower piece and cut the scarf joint on the keel;

3301.thumb.jpg.b46d26a87c822e41bd344534245a9f75.jpg

Once I was happy with the fit to the hull I glued the stem pieces together, I didn’t use any colour in the glue this time - I think it works better without. When the glue had dried I gave the stem a preliminary scrape. I also made an end cap for the top of the sternpost;

3302.thumb.jpg.101b0831beca4305d6485a8ef3e5caff.jpg

I used the flat sanding disk that I had made previously for the dremel and shaped the front of the stem.  I kept in mind that the Vivacia not only sails on the ocean but was also designed to travel upriver, so I made the stem bulge slightly at the bottom - strength and protection against rocks and the riverbed. There will also be a false keel added later.

3303.thumb.jpg.3aa698dac9a76ff9cd016038aaf44973.jpg

The stem will be covered in sealer and sanded - I am going to dilute the sealer to see if I can get it to penetrate the wood better.

Gratuitous “dry fit on the hull” shot;

3304.thumb.jpg.2fb5c2658c34a04639d91d7eee4d1afc.jpg

In between gluing the stem I carried on with the transom planking;

3305.thumb.jpg.48dfeafe05a1d632072271a861b96fd8.jpg

As you can see I wanted the lower transom planking to be at an angle. I wasn’t sure what the angle should be, so I used this,

3306.thumb.jpg.e1d081cb8b3b3a2047fccd95870fa668.jpg

I attached the sternpost (with rubber bands - no glue - so that it can be removed to allow the transom planking to be scraped/sealed/sanded) and finished the planking;

3307.thumb.jpg.36b4d5961a53dddccd1c5fe0dc3cbe72.jpg

Captain Kennet, King of the blah blah etc, came out to inspect the transom;

3308.thumb.jpg.7c620a458216595c79bbbc432797cc1b.jpg

It struck me that this pic shows very well the “relative size” of this ship.

I did mention to the Captain he had a noticeable list to starboard, apparently it’s to compensate for the excess of port imbibed the night before……

Till next time, Have Fun!

Cheers.

Thank you for the compliments, Mark, I am pleased with how the stem has turned out. I have kept putting off making it out of fear that it wouldn't look right - I'm glad it's finally done. I just have to attach it to the hull strongly enough to withstand any force from the hull planking...…….

2 hours ago, Wallace said:

🙄

2 hours ago, Wallace said:

On a more mature note ...

Took me all afternoon to think that up 😎

• 4 months later...

Hi nikbud,

I hope you've got some Wizardwood from the Rainwilds for her. 

The Liveship trilogy are a fantastic read so I'm eagerly awaiting the conclusion to your build. 

Cheers.

Edited by Edwardkenway
Change dragon to wizard as got name of wood wrong

Current builds;

Henry Ramey Upcher 1:25

Providence whaleboat- 1:25     HMS Winchelsea 1764 1:48 

Completed:

HM Cutter Sherbourne- 1:64- finished    Triton cross section scratch- 1:60 - finished 

Non ship:  SBD-3 Dauntless 1:48 Hasegawa -FINISHED

• 3 weeks later...
On 8/13/2019 at 6:42 PM, Edwardkenway said:

I hope you've got some Wizardwood from the Rainwilds for her. 

I wish, Edward, but wizardwood is a bit beyond my pocket, tools  and skillset!

I have to apologise for this late update;  the work was done back in April but I was expecting to do more work and then had forgotten that I hadn’t made an update.

It looks like only a little work but most of a day was spent sanding the hull and tidying up the planking on the transom.  I have lost a little chip from the transom planking - which will be fixed after the hull is planked. I also lined the tiller hole (there must be a nautical for that!) with 0.5mm strip of maple. the whole area still needs sealing and sanding;

3401.thumb.jpg.889f6cb93e9199bd6c4249c3049badd5.jpg

Next was starting work on attaching stem and the keel to the hull.

I started by drilling holes in the stem. I drilled from back to front - this was to ensure that the hole would be central to where the stem meets the hull, and any breakout on the outer surface will be covered by the false keel strip;

3402.thumb.jpg.b3de4c548c1e5913ad982d0986c93aac.jpg

Once the holes were drilled I inserted pins in the holes and offered the stem up to the hull.

These pins will mark where I will drill holes in the hull. The pins will then be CA’d into the holes and thus the stem, and keel, will create the rabbet for the single layer planking.

3403.thumb.jpg.c424e49ae79be4c96abfecbb276a4765.jpg

Unfortunately that is where progress has stalled. and will probably remain stalled possibly until next year.

Most of my summer was taken up with repeated medical investigations and worry, and the last month and the next 3-4 months have been/will be taken up with the associated medical treatment. Luckily the treatment should result in a cure. I may be well enough to do the odd bit of work in the shipyard, but with the intensity of treatment ramping up within the next three weeks , it’s likely that I won’t be well enough.

I do apologise to all of you who have followed, liked, commented or even just read this log, I WILL return, and I WILL finish this ship.

I will also try and be more active on this forum, so c’mon guys, get building!

Cheers,

Paul

18 minutes ago, Wallace said:

Here's looking at a speedy recovery Paul!

Thank you Mark, I appreciate that.

I'll be honest as long as it's a full recovery I don't mind how long it takes!

Wishing you well Paul

Current builds;

Completed:

HM Cutter Sherbourne- 1:64- finished    Triton cross section scratch- 1:60 - finished 

• 6 months later...

Thank you Matt, im recovering but recovery is very slow.

I have been on so much morphine for so long that my hands and feet are massively over-sensitive, so work on the boat cant restart for at least another couple of months. A real PITA as I'm stuck at home on lockdown.

Hope you and everyone out there are keeping safe. 

Glad to hear you're back on the road to recovery Paul.  This lockdown isn't ending anytime soon so kick back and get well.

Cheers 👍

Edited by Edwardkenway

Current builds;

Completed:

• 2 months later...

Hi Paul,

Just touching base to see how it's all going. I hope you're well on the mend by now.

Stay safe, and I hope you can get back into modelling soon.

Best wishes,