Sovereign of the Seas by GeorgeKapas - Airfix - 1/168 - PLASTIC

I agree - his speed is astonishing, but then he works full-time as a professional.

That being said, I put anywhere from 2-4 hours a day, most days, and I am very sloooow!

That Rex can work so quickly and to such a high standard is truly impressive.

I will also be attempting paper sails from ModelSpan tissue.  I am keenly awaiting Johnathan11’s efforts on his Alabama build to see how readily he adopts a particular method - which seemed relatively straight-forward, but I’m sure is not so easy.

I really liked your silk sails on the bomb-ketch.  They had a very natural appearance in such a small scale.

We are all works in progress, all of the time.

@GeorgeKapas, I'll be out of pocket for awhile for the holidays, but will have some images of the sails when I get back, so if you can wait; I'll have some workable data for you. Have great holidays!!

Current build project: 

CSS Alabama 1/96

https://modelshipworld.com/topic/20148-css-alabama-by-jonathan11-revell-196-scale-kit-bash-90-historical-accuracy/

Finished build projects 2018:

H.L Hunley 1/24

CSS Arkansas 1/96

• 3 years later...

i have just bought a 39 year old Royal Sovereign Airfix kit... my first model I ever made. I have built her a few times previously, but not to the standard i wish to do as my last model... you are all masters and have given me so much inspiration. I have the John McKay book, but there are so many flaws, from no Ships bell, to a bus-stop officers companionway leading out to the second deck... like you all I have admired the Sovereign in all her names and rebuilds to find her enigma half of her charm. I hope to do her justice.

Can I ask a couple of questions? Where would the capstan on the main deck go? By the main mast or forward? Secondly, how can i get the planking effect of the Master Rex Stewart on the hull bottom... thinking of pencilling them in faint with nail marks, but that seems impossibly 'sketchy'.

Thank you again for sharing your skills and knowledge of the Sovereign.

Wade