Finishing a silkspan sail

• 8 months later...

I've watched the video Kevin posted......I think its excellent.  My problem is I can't find silkspan. Does anyone know where I can get some or recommend a substitute?....Moab

Completed Builds:

Virginia Armed Sloop...Model Shipways

Ranger...Corel

Louise Steam Launch...Constructo

Hansa Kogge...Dusek

Yankee Hero...BlueJacket

Spray...BlueJacket

26’ Long Boat...Model Shipways

Under Construction:

Emma C. Berry...Model Shipways

1 hour ago, Moab said:

I've watched the video Kevin posted......I think its excellent.  My problem is I can't find silkspan. Does anyone know where I can get some or recommend a substitute?....Moab

Try hobby shops or online retailers that cater to model airplane builders. Silkspan is used to cover stick-built model airplanes. It's what they paint the dope onto.

It might be sold under the name "Modelspan" too - my limited understanding is that modelspan and silkspan are pretty much the same thing.

Mike

Current Wooden builds:  Amati/Victory Pegasus  MS Charles W. Morgan  Euromodel La Renommèe  

Plastic builds:    SB2U-1 Vindicator 1/48  Five Star Yaeyama 1/700  Pit Road Asashio and Akashi 1/700 diorama  Walrus 1/48 and Albatross 1/700  Special Hobby Buffalo 1/32  Eduard Sikorsky JRS-1 1/72  IJN Notoro 1/700  Akitsu Maru 1/700

Completed builds :  Caldercraft Brig Badger   Amati Hannah - Ship in Bottle  Pit Road Hatsuzakura 1/700   Hasegawa Shimakaze 1:350

F4B-4 and P-6E 1/72  Accurate Miniatures F3F-1/F3F-2 1/48  Tamiya F4F-4 Wildcat built as FM-1 1/48  Special Hobby Buffalo 1/48

Citroen 2CV 1/24 - Airfix and Tamiya  Entex Morgan 3-wheeler 1/16

Terminated build:  HMS Lyme (based on Corel Unicorn)  

On the shelf:  Euromodel Friedrich Wilhelm zu Pferde; Caldercraft Victory; too many plastic ship, plane and car kits

Future potential scratch builds:  HMS Lyme (from NMM plans); Le Gros Ventre (from Ancre monographs), Dutch ship from Ab Hoving book, HMS Sussex from McCardle book, Philadelphia gunboat (Smithsonian plans)

Thanx guys. I'll check it out....Moab

Completed Builds:

Ranger...Corel

Hansa Kogge...Dusek

Yankee Hero...BlueJacket

Spray...BlueJacket

Under Construction:

I’ve recently purchased two different types of silkspan, from two different sources. I’d never seen the stuff in the flesh before and I thought it’d be different. The first batch I got was thin and too transparent and would tear as easily as tissue paper, I didn’t see the advantage over tissue paper since tissue has no grain and this stuff had distinctly visible fibers. The next version of the stuff was slightly thicker but disappointed too, the same issues with the other stuff just slightly less transparent. I had imagined something more like drafting velum or paper. If there is a spectrum between Kleenex on one end and writing paper on the other, this stuff was far too close to the Kleenex end of the scale for me. As I looked at the material in my hands I wished there was a version of it that was twice as thick, this stuff was too insubstantial for me. 

Ill likely try working with it to see if it can be stained and maybe strengthened by painting it with acrylic medium? I haven’t written it off yet but my initial impression was that I didn’t like it for being too flimsy.

Niagara USS Constitution 

I know there are at least three grades of ss from light to heavy (whatever Heavy means)....Moab

Completed Builds:

Ranger...Corel

Hansa Kogge...Dusek

Yankee Hero...BlueJacket

Spray...BlueJacket

Under Construction:

Bluejacket Shipcrafters have a short tutorial in their newsletter archives on using a three-layer silkspan set up for sails.  I tried it for an awning and it worked well for me.  https://myemail.constantcontact.com/News--tips--and-happenings-from-BlueJacket-Shipcrafters--Inc-.html?soid=1105166336677&aid=fVLCRI0uZ9o

Steve

Ditto on the link....Thanx....Moab

Completed Builds:

Ranger...Corel

Hansa Kogge...Dusek

Yankee Hero...BlueJacket

Spray...BlueJacket

Under Construction:

• 2 years later...
On 7/20/2019 at 9:50 PM, druxey said:

I stretch SilkSpan like watercolor paper and use dilute acrylic paint on it. It works for me.

Sails 2.jpg

druxey....stunning sails, thanks for the image. I am new to silkspan/paper sails, and have been watching youtube videos before giving it a go. It all seems doable, except that no-one seems to apply bolt ropes. Can you please advise how you have attached them to the edge of the paper you use? Is this bond strong enough to allow the sail to be shaped (ie wetted and billowed)? And the eyelet holes are pencil around the perforation? Thanks, Matt

Such sails need to be shaped (mostly) during the process, not afterwards. Glueing on the bolt-ropes with either white glue or acrylic gel gives (initially) a somewhat flexible joint, so that the sails can even be furled. If the bold-rope comes loose in places, it can be easily attached again. I have been making sails like this for 30+ years.

wefalck

panta rhei - Everything is in flux

M-et-M-72.jpg  Banner-AKHS-72.jpg  Banner-AAMM-72.jpg  ImagoOrbis-72.jpg

Shep

I am sure Druxey will reply, but in the meantime, I would invest $7 and buy his booklet on making sails.  It has all the details on his process including adding the bolt ropes and seam lines.      https://www.seawatchbooks.com/ItemDisplay.php?sku=115003

Allan

PLEASE take 30 SECONDS and sign up for the epic Nelson/Trafalgar project if you would like to see it made into a TV series.   Click on http://trafalgar.tv   There is no cost other than the 30 seconds of your time.  THANK YOU

I have been told silkspan is no longer made?, If so any suggestions for a UK alternative or a UK stockist with some left?

Thanks--- the product looks so good from what I have seen on here..

HMAV Bounty 'Billings' completed  

HMS Cheerful - Syren-Chuck' completed :)

Steam Pinnace 199 'Billings bashed' - completed

HMS Ledbury F30 --White Ensign -completed 😎

HMS Vanguard 'Victory models'-- completed :)

Bismarck Amati 1/200 --underway  👍

5 minutes ago, Ian B said:

I have been told silkspan is no longer made?

I’m not certain if this is accurate you can still get it from (who I believe is) the manufacturer at: 

https://sigmfg.com/products/sig-silkspan-tissue

I don’t know that this would help in the UK though due to shipping costs.

We had this discussion at a different place already not too long ago: different, very light-weight silk papers are available from art-supply houses. Very fine silk-cloth is also available as printing screen, again through suppliers for the art-trades, printers, or through ebay in fact.

wefalck

panta rhei - Everything is in flux

M-et-M-72.jpg  Banner-AKHS-72.jpg  Banner-AAMM-72.jpg  ImagoOrbis-72.jpg

thanks everyone, a few avenues to check out :)

i did look on eBay but nothing other than US-- which makes it very expensive to input.. next stop the Art supply shops :)

HMAV Bounty 'Billings' completed  

HMS Cheerful - Syren-Chuck' completed :)

Steam Pinnace 199 'Billings bashed' - completed

HMS Ledbury F30 --White Ensign -completed 😎

HMS Vanguard 'Victory models'-- completed :)

Bismarck Amati 1/200 --underway  👍

Brodak in the US has silkspan also.

light and medium

https://brodak.com/silkspan-lite-white-only-2-sheets.html

Paul

Current Build: HMS Winchelsea 1764 1:48

Completed Build: HM Cutter Cheerful-Syren Ship Models 1/48

Completed Build:  Artesania Latina Bluenose II

Completed Build Lady Nelson

I have had an order in with SIG for about a month now.  When I placed the order they told me that their silkspan is on backorder and would be about 4 weeks before they had more and asked me if I wanted to cancel the order or keep it on backorder.  I decided to keep it on backorder and am expecting it any day now.

Derek

If you want to build a ship, don't drum up the men to gather wood, divide the work and give orders. Instead, teach them to yearn for the vast and endless sea  

Antoine de Saint Exupery

Current Builds

Bluenose - Model Shipways - 1:64 Scale

Fair American - Model Shipways - 1:48 Scale

HMS Winchelsea 1764 - Group Build

On Deck

Guns of History Naval Smoothbore Deck Gun - 1:24 Scale

Finished Builds

Mare Nostrum - Artesania Latina - 1:35 Scale

Guns of History Carronade - Model Shipways - 1:24 Scale

Member of the Nautical Research Guild

Derek,

As you probably know paper of all kinds are in short supply.  I have read claims it is due to worker shortages in the pulp mills in North America, and other claims that it is the lack of truck drivers so ships and warehouses are waiting to be unloaded. 

Allan

PLEASE take 30 SECONDS and sign up for the epic Nelson/Trafalgar project if you would like to see it made into a TV series.   Click on http://trafalgar.tv   There is no cost other than the 30 seconds of your time.  THANK YOU

I used this paper available from Amazon :

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001KZH21E/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&th=1

I colored it with diluted white glue tinted with acrylic paint.  Strong wet, quite sturdy.  Bolt ropes from thread-coated flora wire wire, also from Amazon. 

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B071SH3CQQ/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

DSC_3463.jpg.12ff8c19840faa03047d0811e9b23bc1.jpgDSC_3462.jpg.81d17a66ef21dbff4c107170e69b998b.jpg

I'm pleased with the results.

• 9 months later...