KHauptfuehrer

USS Constitution by khauptfuehrer - Bluejacket - Scale 1:96 - First wood model build

Thanks for the compliment and the heads up.  I have read in the forums that one should finalize tensions on the lines only when all are in place.  I am not sure how to temporarily secure all seizings yet, but hopefully, I will figure it out.  In the meantime, you can be sure that I will follow your advice, and carefully check mast alignment as each and every line is secured.

Kurt  

I decided to include a bow shot of the dry fitted masts to show the state of alignment.  I would have inserted it in my last post, but, as that post is right at the end of page 3, I thought that adding more material might mess things up.

34719807_MASTSDRYFITTED2S.thumb.jpg.6d9f5a52f5c2a7f94a631b6dbd314c74.jpg

As you can see, the mainmast leans slightly to starboard.  There is some play here, however, so correcting that when rigging the shrouds should not be too hard, I would think.

Kurt...I just wanted to let you know how helpful your documentation has been for me as I have struggled with my BJ Conny build.  Nic and Charlie Cook have been a great resource too. I would love to see you provide images as you begin the rigging of your beautiful model (as they say a picture is worth a thousand words).  Also can you tell me as I begin work on the bowhead where ( how deep) are the gratings placed as seen in. photo 25 of the manual.  My email is mail@cliffmitchell.com

Thanks so much for the compliment!  I have sent you an email with pics which I hope will be helpful.  I will continue to post photos.  I would like to make the bowsprit, and the remaining masts  and tops before I begin rigging.  I don't mind telling you that I am thoroughly intimidated by the upper masts with their variety of different shapes (square, round, octagonal, etc.)

A "heads up" for other BJ Connie builders.  The design of the trestletrees found in the mast elevations, and those which are found in the plans for the tops do not match.

In the plans, the spanker mast is too close to the mizzen mast to allow for the boom jaw rest and spider ring on the mizzen mast.   Moving 1/16" aft solves the problem.  I moved it a bit more just to be safe.  

The next step was to make up the trestle trees with their bolsters to fit on top of the hounds and bibs, and to make up the spanker mast.  The trestle trees were made from 3/32" by 3/8" stock provided in the kit.  Two pieces of the right length were glued together and shaped so that they would match.  I followed the design in the plans that were associated with the designs for the masts, which I later discovered, were different from those associated with the plans for the tops (see above).  I may need to adapt the designs for the tops to fit.

1342081573_TRESTLETREESS.thumb.jpg.02f304f108f90c1a777545ccd29b3e76.jpg

These were glued to the tops of the hound/bib units on the mast, with the outboard surfaces flush with those of the hound/bibs.  In some cases, the bibs bent slightly inwards because of the method I used to simulate the joints.  I probably should have wet the inner surface of these units then pressed them between to boards overnight.  I installed chocks both before and abaft of the mast heads to insure stability.  Quarter round stock provided in the kit was glued on top of the trestle trees as shown in the plans.  There was a gap between some of the bolsters and the mast heads which I filled with wood filler to be sure that they would not fail during rigging.  Here is what I ended up with.

1451641480_TRESTLETREESINSTALLEDS.thumb.jpg.140954e8c6d2b01b601d80f6ba76170e.jpg

I was finally able to get my hands on a straight piece of 1/16" dowel to use as the spanker mast.   Here is a pic of the model with the mizzen mast and spanker mast dry fitted.

1437870365_QUARTERGALLERY3S.thumb.jpg.c1d95b2bc8e6f91713e7af470fae0669.jpg

The head of the spanker mast is inserted in 1/16" hole in a piece of wood which has been inserted between the aft part of the trestle trees.  The foot of the masts rests in a step which can be seen if you look closely at the following pic of the aft quarter deck.

2058088834_SPANKERMASTSTEP.thumb.jpg.0f640d9a1948044ca84b41a9e76114e9.jpg

The boom jaw rest was subsequently installed.  Here is a view of the model with the dry fitted masts with their trestle trees.

385992845_TRESTLETREESINSTALLED2S.thumb.jpg.fd0a9f77e0a645a14b2a7ae33fb32127.jpg

I have been working on the bowsprit.  I do not have it finished yet, but I thought I would post what I have done so far.

468310013_BOWSPRITCONSTR.1.thumb.jpg.fd63e8f93f267e49bf409da09a687c7e.jpg

1. The bowsprit is tapered in the same way that I tapered the masts - by fixing the dowel in my drill and holding against sandpaper taped to the table (see above).

2.  Creating the appropriate flat spots.  I used the disc sander again, but rotated the disc by hand this time.

3. To create the bees, the same layering technique was used as in the catheads and topsail sheet bitts.

4. Using my tilt arbor table saw, I made angled components so as to create angled bees.

5. Top view showing the sheaves in their slots.

6.  Outer components also cut to an angle glued on the complete the bees. Elmer's wood filler added to mask the seams as much as possible.

7.  Bees glued onto the end of the dowel.

207486391_BOWSPRITCONSTR_1A.thumb.jpg.8e6f2484b2d7938fe6244aad9d3b9d68.jpg

1.-2.  Two more views of the bees after being glued to the bowsprit.

3.  Bowsprit cap cut to the right angle using the tilt arbor saw.  Holes drilled to receive the #20 size pins.  Countersinking with 1/16" bit.  1/8" hole drilled with the cap held at the right angle in the vise.

4.  Cap glued onto the end of the dowel and pins glued in with contact cement.  This should strengthen the joint so that it can stand the pull of the rigging.

5.  Countersink holes filled in with Elmer's wood filler.

6.  Hoops, forestay cleats, jib boom step, and fairlead added.  The red line indicates where I added a pin to strengthen the joint in the same manner as in pic 3 and 4..  A bowsprit fairlead is not provided in the kit, but it does appear in the rigging plans, so I decided to make one.  I bought an extra spider ring from Bluejacket, clipped out that part that had no holes, then very carefully opened it up until it would fit the bowsprit.  Another 

possibility is to use the upper boarding pike racks if you  want to sacrifice this detail on the main and foremasts.

I am now working on the dolphin strikers.  In order to know how many holes to drill in the legs, I must decide on whether I want to use Arnot's plan in the instructions, or Marquardt's plan in the AOS book.

I have been grappling with the dolphin striker.  Like many aspects of this ship, there are as many different designs as there are sources.  I picked elements of each that I thought I could be successful at doing.

Here is what I have done so far.

1174706867_DOLPHINSTRIKERCONSTR..thumb.jpg.9705d928619186011bc250e32041bc2b.jpg

1. Components laid out.  I used 5/64" dowels I picked up at Michael's for legs.   I did not use the flanges pictured in the plans because I could see no way of constructing them to be strong enough to bear the strain of the martingale guys, and because other designs and the Revell model had the holes in the legs themselves.  I did not taper them because I was afraid they would snap when rigged.  The Revell model does not show taper.

2. Components glued together.  The red lines indicate #20 size pin shafts inserted into the interior which I hope will strengthen the structure for when the rigging is tensioned.

3. Shaping of the elements, and Elmer's filler applied to hide the seams

4. Holes drilled.  These will accommodate the martingale plan similar to what the ship now has, or at least had when the pics I collected were taken.  There are variations even between these pics.

5.  Assembly glued to the bowsprit cap.

Painted bowsprit and dolphin striker dry fitted to the model.  I think I am getting a little better at finishing and painting.  You can get a bit closer than you could previously before it looks absolutely horrible.

Gammoning cleats to be added when I do the gammoning so that I can be sure they are in exactly the right place.

1747632770_BOWSPRITPAINTED1S.thumb.jpg.0dddf3580972dc5ef16e37827b2f0438.jpg

Work is proceeding on the main top.  I hope to post some pics of that soon.

Thanks so much for the "likes" guys!  They fortify my determination to finish this thing.  It will be some time before the main top is finished, so I thought I would post what I have done so far.

435011423_MAINTOPCONSTR_COMP.1.thumb.jpg.4cc095d2ef7b1ff353f9eb260938ce32.jpg

As with many items on this model there are many choices to make as  to design.  One feature that is common to all the designs I looked at is the overlapping of the length and cross deals.  I wanted to attempt this, but, as I would like to use the Britannia cast stropped deadeyes, I determined that they would not reach through the top if I did.  So, like the Revell model, I decided to have the length and cross deals abutting rather than overlapping.  A pity, although, if I had overlapped them, installation of the floor battens would have been a lot more challenging.

1.  I decided to glue scribed decking to a backing of 1/64" birch plywood.  I used glued up decking for the decks on the model because I decided to leave them natural.  The deals, however are to be painted gray, so if the planking detail is to be visible, 3/32" scribed decking is the way to go.  Otherwise, you might as well use a solid piece.  The plywood backing was cut with the first and third layers of the plywood running athwart ships.

I had a problem with the assembly curling upward forward of and abaft the lubber hole.  I may cut the fore top backing with the first and third layers running fore and aft and see if that helps.  In any case, the assembly needs to be clamped between two flat pieces of wood as the glue dries.

2.  Backing and decking assembly.

3.  Sling hole cut (a bit more work needed there, now that I see it close up in the pic).  1/32" by 1/32" stock installed around the lubber hole.  Rim added, made from 1/32" by 3/32" stock except for the rear batten which is 1/16" by 3/32".  As you can guess the holes are for the rail stanchions which will be brass rod.  I tried making an 8 sided stanchion out of 1/32" by 1/32" stock and ended up with a little wad of fuzz, so brass it is.   Notches are for the metal stropped deadeyes.  I am debating whether to use card stock or styrene for the outer rim.  I will also have to decide about how to mount the falconets.

I have begun work on the floor battens.  The plan is to make the from 1/32" by 1/16" stock which is what the kit's plans show, and have them overlap the rim, then taper to 1/32" high at the lubber hole.  Wish me luck!

Here are some more photos of my progress on the main top.

975419055_MAINTOPCONSTR_COMP.2.thumb.jpg.ee94b2e4f3f541f839197c802ea51b50.jpg

1.  Floor battens (timbers) added.  As stated above they were made from 1/32" by 1/16", and tapered from 1/16" to 1/32" high.  Clearing out excess glue from this process is tricky.  I thought I did well with this until I painted the top.  Let's see if I can do better on the fore and mizzen tops.

2.  Falconet (swivel gun) chocks installed.  This kit is unique, as far as I know, in that it includes cast Britannia falconets.  Might as well use them.  The plan in the instruction book shows these chocks unlike the plans  in the sheets.  If they are mounted on tapering floor battens, the underside must be beveled. In addition, if the taper starts at the outer rim as indicated in the plans, the level of each batten will vary slightly making their installation very tricky.  I bypassed these issues completely by beginning the taper of the battens inboard of where the chocks go, where marked.  The mounting pins of the falconets are long enough to go through the chocks and through the top itself, so I drilled the holes accordingly using a .033" bit.  This should provide a secure mount for the guns.  Before mounting them, I painted the top underneath where they would go, anticipating the difficulty of getting in there with a brush after they were glued on.

3.  Top painted with MS medium gray acrylic.  Once again, this looks ok from a normal viewing distance.  The underside is painted white with strips masked where the trestle trees and cross trees will go.  The outer rim will be white as well. 

The next step will be construction of the crosstrees.

Work continues on the main top.

1476435503_MAINTOPCONSTR_COMP.3.thumb.jpg.67c5701c190418d6d3fd35d8ce5bed44.jpg

1.  Cross trees were made from two 3/32" x 2/32" pieces of basswood.  They were temporarily glued together with rubber cement, then tapered together to insure uniformity.  The point at which the taper begins differs with each source I consulted.  I elected to start the taper at the outboard edge of the lubber hole. 

2.  The two cross trees were separated and the notches were marked separately, because I failed to get the two trestle trees perfectly parallel.  The notches were cut so that the upper surfaces of the trestle trees and cross trees would be flush.  The forward cross tree was then glued to the top so that it would align properly with the forward edge of the lubber hole.  The aft cross tree was dry fitted in place and glue applied to the upper surface where needed.  Then the top was fitted into place and pressed down on the aft cross tree so that the overall fit would be correct.  

3.  The aft gunwale and upper rail were glued together with rubber cement, then .033" holes were drilled for the rail stanchions through both pieces at once.  This insured that any imperfections in the alignment of the holes in the gunwale would be duplicated in the top rail facilitating assembly, and insuring vertical alignment of the stanchions.   The number of stanchions differs depending on which plans you use.  The plan in the instruction book show four.  The plans on the sheet show five.  The ship presently has four.  I followed the latter plans and did five before I realized there was a difference.  Once again contradictory information the the instructions and the plans complicates things.  Oh well, who's to say the ship did not have five during the war of 1812?.  Making wooden hexagonal stanchions would have been a feather in my cap, but, as described above, I could not effect it, so I used .033" brass rod instead.  The Marquardt AOS shows metal stanchions, so I am not that far off.  Upper rail installed so that the tops of the stanchions are slightly recessed.  Application of wood filler makes the top smooth.  Netting to be installed a bit later.

4.  Britannia metal stropped deadeyes painted.  Center left bare to take the glue.

5. Stropped deadeyes glued into the notches previously cut.   I have decided on styrene for the outer rim.  Surprisingly, Evergreen does not make strips 3/32" wide so I had to order the next larger width which is 1/64" wider.  I should be able to sand it down to size once it had been glued on.

6.  While awaiting delivery of the styrene strips, work on the other two tops has started, employing lessons learned from doing the main top.  When gluing the scribed decking to the 1/64" birch plywood backing,  the assembly is clamped in a vise while the glue sets and cures, preventing the curling upwards of those sections which have the deals run athwart ships.  It works.

I will post a photo of the completed top when I have the rim and falconets installed.

As promised, here are photos of the finished main top.

1913874856_MAINTOPCONSTR_COMP.4.thumb.jpg.7933b13d32e5f4603c824998f0b85399.jpg

1.  Falconets trimmed and painted.

2 - 3.  Photos of the finished top.  It turns out that using styrene for the outer rim was a very good idea.  I gave it a thin coat of paint to take off the shine so that it would blend in better.  Netting was attached using CA gel.  I could not use contact cement this time because the glue does not dry clear, and the stanchions are white.  Tops are dry fitted for now because they would make doing the seizings for the shroud pairs nearly impossible.  Right now it looks like I got the angle right, or at least in the ballpark.

Now to do the other two tops.  I will post a photo of all three when that is done.

Another heads up for other builders of this kit.  The plans for the tops given on the separate sheets are asymmetrical.  The difference is subtle for the main top ( missed it completely), a bit more noticeable for the fore top, and really severe for the mizzen top.  I recommend that you decide which half you like best, cut out that half of the pattern, then flip it over to get the second half.

1309040833_MIZZENTOPPLAN.thumb.jpg.1c6cd8183d5216ec673839df1df4b485.jpg

I believe that you might be referring to the cross section drawing on the right.  The port side half of the drawing might be as seen from the front, while the starboard side might be as seen from the rear, or vice versa.  I am not sure which is which.  That is not what I was talking about.  I was referring to the drawing on the left which is not a cross section, but is a view of the entire top as viewed from above.  The curve of the front of the top is different on the port side from what it is on the starboard side.  If you were to cut out half of the design, flip it over and lay it over the other half, they would not match.

At the scale you are working in (1:96), the subtle differences won't be noticed. Out of curiosity I checked the US Navy blueprints (available on CD from the USS Constitution Museum) and drawing No. 21162 shows a completely different looking Mizzen top (based on 1927 restoration) than what you posted from Bluejacket. I know their model is suppose to depict the Conny as she was in 1812, but I have no idea where they got their references. In the few references that I have, the only tops they show are for the main mast and they also don't match Bluejacket ether. So unless you are showing your model to a fanatical historical expert of the USS Constitution, I think your superb workmanship will pass muster.

Jon

Mizzen Top - US Navy.png

Thank you so much for your kind words and excellent graphic.  I wish the bluejacket plans were as good as these.  Those who are modeling the Constitution in her current configuration have an advantage of having plans like this one, and photos of the real thing.  In looking at the various plans from several sources, I have realized that no one really knows what the tops looked like at any given time during the early part of Constitution's career.  In some cases, there are discrepancies between the top view and the side elevations in the same set of plans!  These multiple variations in the various plans are further complicated by the fact that shipwrights at the time did not always feel obligated to follow the plans exactly.   I suppose the most authoritative source is the Hull model.  Unfortunately, I have not yet found a photo that shows her tops in any detail.  What appears in my build log is an amalgam of a number of features from various sources which I thought would be practicable to execute and would look good.  Who's to say that her tops did not look like that at some point in her history?

The asymmetry to which I have referred is not too bad in the main and fore top plans, and I have rendered them as is.  It would indeed take a fanatical historical expert to see the asymmetry.  However, the mizzen top is another story in my judgement.  Once I had cut the shape out of a sheet of plywood, it did look quite lopsided to me.  A bit of sanding down on one side quickly solved the problem.  I just thought I could save other modelers a bit of extra work by providing the heads up.

Your build , by the way is going splendidly.  Your lagbolt head detail is something I would not dare attempt at present, and your hanging knees look just right.

I got the fore and mizzen tops done.  I did a better job cleaning up excess glue with a wet toothpick and cleaning up micro splinters and the fuzzy frizzies, so now my work is a step closer to standing up to macro photography.  I am learning.

1310176660_FORE-MIZZENTOPS.thumb.jpg.4d9e77680360db0dbe13fb14653d3492.jpg

Here are all three tops dry fitted to their masts, which are in turn, dry fitted to the model.

1385140722_FORE-MAIN-MIZZENTOPS1S.thumb.jpg.c1bfbb6c07d4bcbbb36e05d36f21e50a.jpg

Now I need to decide whether to make the upper masts now, or rig what I have got and make them later.

I have just discovered another discrepancy in the plans.  The mizzen mast rises about 7/8" less above the deck in the rigging and sail plan sheet than it does in the masts and spars working drawing sheet.  I followed the working drawing sheet and now the mizzen mast and foremast both rise the same distance above the deck.  I am not sure that this is correct.  I am also not sure what, if anything, I want to do about it.  If I can somehow release the spider ring from the mast using alcohol, I could cut off some from the bottom of the mast.  If not, I would have to redo the mast completely.  Another heads up for Bluejacket Connie builders.

Making the topmasts has been a daunting prospect for me due to the variety of cross section configurations needed (square, round, octagonal).  I do not have a proper lathe.  I figured out a method which I would like to illustrate here.  No doubt there are better ways of making these masts, but this is what I could figure out.  

660021928_TOPMASTCONSTR.COMP1.thumb.jpg.3fee1e118328a0508fd8313f0f4df6cf.jpg

1072285759_TOPMASTCONSTR.COMP2.thumb.jpg.734e083b81ac5caaa579f85b36b671be.jpg

1.  I started with a 3/16" by 3/16" piece of basswood with marks indicating where the octagonal section, the round section, the octagonal hounds section, and the square mast head, as well as an extra section at the bottom which will be inserted in the drill chuck, and a separate piece which will be the heel of the mast.

2.  Laying the piece one corner down in the crack between the two halves of my table, I planed the corners with a small plane.  Holding  the plane at an angle to the direction of the cut was critical in making a clean cut.

3. The result was an octagonal shape to the entire piece.

4. To make the round section, I first made a cut around the bottom of the hounds to make a clean division, then put the piece in my drill and held it against a piece of basswood with sandpaper glued to it (240 grit on one side and 400 grit on the other side) to get the round section and the taper.  I held the mast against the sanding surface with my left hand (not shown because I needed that hand to take the pic).

5. Laying the piece with one of the facets which were the original square piece rather than the facet which was planed, cuts were made at the top of the hounds.  If the cut extends from the middle of the left facet to the middle of the right facet, the result when all four of the cuts made would enable me to square the top for the mast head easily.  Squaring was done by cutting a notch at the top of the hounds, then sanding or filing the top to get the square mast head the corners of which lie at the center of each planed facet, making the faces of the heads coincide with the heel alignment.

6. The hounds were then tapered with chisel and sanding sticks.  A 3/32" hole was drilled through the heel and a dowel selected.

7.  The heel was then glued to the mast using a straight edge to insure alignment.  Aligning the facets of the mast which were the original surfaces of the piece (identified by marks) with the sides of the heel insured an accurate match.  Using the pre drilled hole in the heel as a drill guide for the hand drill, I drilled into the bottom of the mast.  Gluing the heel to the mast before doing this  insured that, although my centering of the hole in the heel was not perfect, proper alignment of the mast and the heel would be maintained.  After taking the pic, I realized that clamping the assembly into a vise before drilling facilitated this operation considerably.  

8.  After making sure that the dowel did indeed extend into the mast by inserting it and marking, then taking it out and comparing the length,  I glued it in. The result was a strong joint.

9. Cutting off the excess dowel completed construction of the mast.

10. Mast painted with MS white and deep brown acrylic.

I still have not figured out how I will make the top gallant and royal masts which are a lot smaller and more challenging.  If I fail at that, there is the option of using the corresponding masts from my Revell model, the final appearance of the model being more important to me than bragging rights.  They are very flexible, so I would have to be super careful with the rigging tensioning.

Addendum - 4/22/20 - Next time I do topmasts, I will cut the mastheads to size before planing the corners to get the hexagonal shape.  That may make aligning the top and the heel easier.

All three topmasts done.

2064392070_TOPMASTCONSTR_11S.thumb.jpg.ebbb5e8812f68e814166e212b26ace43.jpg

In the plans, the mizzen topmast is very close to being the same length as the fore topmast.   This did not seem right to me, as it is significantly shorter in the rigging plan, and in photos of the real ship.  I therefore replicated the mizzen topmast in the Revell model.

Looking great! One word of caution, ( from experience) beware of the dolphin striker! On my Syren build, I clumsily reached around the bow to get something and snapped off one or both of them more than once. 

Looks like another case where the references available to us don't match Bluejacket's 1812 plans. However, I've met the owner of Bluejacket at the NRG's conventions. He takes pride in his company's products. If you were to drop him an email, I'm sure he would explain where his references come from.

Jon

Thanks, Sea Hoss, for the compliment and the advice.  I will indeed be very careful not only when I am handling the model, but also when I am removing the garment bag I am using to keep the dust out.

Thanks, Jon, for the recommendation.  Bluejacket is, of course proud of their products.  This kit is excellent in many ways, and they have been wonderful in their responses to my requests for replacement materials, and have been complimentary and supportive (thanks, Nic).  The sources are often given along with each set of plans.  Many are plans gotten from the Constitution Museum.  Some are working plans from 1926, and from her 1973-76 refit, and reflect her current configuration.  Much useful information can be gotten from these sources, but the builder must be constantly on the alert for conflicts, some of which appear in the same set of plans (!).  Mr. Arnot's extensive research is to be commended, but I wish that there had been more care in the integrating of all these sources into a single unified concept that a builder could more easily follow.  To be fair, Bluejacket gives ample warning in their blurb that experience and expertise are required for this model.

Here is a photo of the topmasts and jib boom dry fitted on the model.

200695573_TOPMASTSDRYFITTED2S.thumb.jpg.2dcb491b1c7f2d6f13b5138d296539de.jpg

Now to do the topmast crosstrees.  These must be made from scratch.  Never having attempted this before, I need to figure out how to make a jig so they can be bent uniformly.  There is also the matter of how basswood will behave at this scale when it comes to drilling the holes in their ends.  I know I should use boxwood, cedar, or pear, but I do not have the milling equipment to get the strips down to the right size from the lumber I have so far seen at various sites.  Titebond III has very good penetrating qualities so perhaps if I diluted it and apply it to the wood, it will hold while I drill, then later rig.  If not, there is the alternative I see in the Revell model in which their ends are notched.

I don't think you will have trouble drilling the crosstrees, but try a test one. If it splits or splinters, you can pre-harden it with a drop of thin CA.

Nic