USS Constitution by khauptfuehrer - Bluejacket - Scale 1:96 - First wood model build

Posted (edited)

Looking really nice!  The instructions give a choice of planking, netting or fabric for the bow heads, so your planking is not necessarily a departure.  Kudos for the quarter galleries which integrate very nicely into the hull shape - very hard to do!  I am gratified that my photos were of help.  O am amazed that you have accomplished all this in 6 months.  I began my build in 2007.  As you can see, I am struggling with the rigging, so I will be interested to see what you do.

Edited by KHauptfuehrer

• 2 weeks later...

To all the Constitution builders....I went to Boston today to see our ship turn around as well as a 21 gun salute. It was the first time it “sailed” since the pandemic began and is now once again open to the public. I noticed that the main mast was shorter than normal and the captain said that the ship is still undergoing restoration and that it will be extended. I was also amazed at how accurate Bluejacket’s model is! I toured the gun and mast decks and it was like stepping onto our models. I have enclosed some of my pictures from today including dry dock # 1 (1833) where it was restored. Enjoy...Jerry

7C15D489-C73F-471C-9A51-3C8EDA26EA58.jpeg

562F321A-B06E-4BE5-8A04-01BF0F31F629.jpeg

9FD3B3F7-BD92-402C-92FB-0D4F191E1DC2.jpeg

CD695034-9D90-4D12-9807-739B3FDF9EE0.jpeg

3744516E-C06A-49C2-BBB2-05CFE5659D33.jpeg

29A3771C-D07A-4A0F-A953-F7AAB0488931.jpeg

403A9899-B9BC-467E-A61E-90BD82593547.jpeg

BC251B71-1D70-4D04-A988-CCF008950305.jpeg

85DCCF0B-47D5-43BF-A835-D1A2EBC53D54.jpeg

Very nice pictures Jerry. You didn't perhaps have a photo from the spar deck looking forward to the base of the bow sprit. The top gallant rail was removed during the latest restoration and I have yet to see a clean view of the results. My build will portray the ship as she is today. without any of the modern accoutrements required for tourists (netting around. the gun ports, loud speakers, steps next to ladders, etc.)

I have been working on the topmast ratlines.  As with all phases of this build which require me to learn new skills, I began on the starboard side which will be facing the wall when the model is displayed.  I am using the BJ .005" cotton line which they recently began offering. The line does not seem that stiff until you try to tie those very small knots.  I find that I really need to tighten the knots a lot in order not to end up with oversize knots that you can see through.  If I get it right, they do not look that bad and are not horribly out of scale.  I am using cow hitches on the outermost shrouds because the ends point inward and do not stick out sideways.  Unfortunately they do not hold as well, so I have been using Tacky Glue to fix them.  I find that it does not leave as much of a shine as does CA.  My biggest challenge has been to avoid the dreaded hourglass effect.  To this end I have adopted the pattern on cardboard method which I have seen on many other builds.

871535125_TOPMASTRATLINESCOMP1.thumb.jpg.649c2f9f46176baccb70b07446b19265.jpg

I have completed the starboard topmast ratlines.  The first set was Hourglass City, and had various other imperfections.  The next two came out progressively better.  I would like to wait until I have completed at least two sets of ratlines on the port side before I post my finished ratlines.

Unfortunately, I will need to spend a couple of months away from the model, while I work on two video jobs which require extensive work.  I will of course continue to check out the magnificent builds I have seen on MSW.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
Posted (edited)

Back in the saddle at last.  I have just completed the topmast shroud ratlines.  Progress has been slow, but steady.

1967602589_TOPMASTSHROUDRATLINES1S.thumb.jpg.eba629f09770c97733b3c645e27c177c.jpg

Futtock staves to be added when I finish ratlines on the lower shrouds.  Might as well do them all at once.  It looks like some of the mizzen shrouds merge into one, but they really don't.

Edited by KHauptfuehrer

Seeing only the flaws, I had originally decided not to post a closeup of a set of ratlines, but now I have changed my mind.

839814690_TOPMASTSHROUDRATLINES2S.thumb.jpg.3b2258993b4e5298b7c6dd38e2a56d3e.jpg

Next job is to finalize the lower shrouds.  The procedure will be the same as for the topmast shrouds, so I will wait until they are all ready for ratlines before I post.  This may take some time.

• 5 weeks later...
Posted (edited)

Just for the heck it, I thought I would try for a shot of the interior of the gun deck through one of the larboard gun ports with my phone.  I could not resist posting the result even though it is out of sequence. 

525538492_GUNDECKINTERIOR1S.thumb.jpg.d70d8918a5772456805d369eee842979.jpg

Perhaps I can include it in my final series of shots of the model when it is finished.

Edited by KHauptfuehrer