bending the stern area of the planks for the bottom - moved by moderator to appropriate area

Hello there 

I  am working the model space Victory and would like to know  how to make the sharp bend in the planks for the stern area 

of the ship for the bottom when I reach that part of the instructions and  most certain that the instructions will not explain how to do it, the video does show a little of how it is done but not very understandable so that is why I am here any suggestions would be most appreciated thank you 

Ronald 

Ronald can you post a picture of your stern area. In cases like this many people do many different things. I build a jig using the ships plans as a guide, I then steam the wood place it on the jig hold it in place with clamps and let it dry. When dried it should be pretty close to the shape needed. You can also soak in boiling water or use a hair curling iron.

Regards,

Jim Rogers

Damn the Torpedoes , Full speed ahead.   Adm David Farragut.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Ronald. I have tried a jig but my method now is just to glue and nail planks beginning with the bow, and when I get to the last couple of frames at the difficult stern area, I place a piece of tin foil under the plank to protect the ship and use a steamer on the end of the plank, then clamp it more or less in place to get the correct form. After it dries for a few hours I trim as necessary for perfect fit, and glue the plank to the stern.   

Tim Moore

Perfect is the enemy of good

In progress

IJN Pre-Dreadnought Battleship Mikasa, 1:200, Hobby Boss

On Deck
DH.9a Ninak, 1/32, Wingnut Wings
The Blue Sky Company, 1:48, Sierra West Models

Completed  

Fiat 806 Grand Prix 1:12, Italeri; Fifie 1:32, Amati Victory Model; HMS Bounty 1:48, Artesania Latina; Endeavour 1:60; Corel; Miss Severn 1:8, Legend Model Boats; Calypso, Billing Boats; Carmen Fishing Trawler, A.L. ; Dallas Revenue Cutter, A.L., Bluenose, A.L.

You're very welcome Ronald. Good luck, I agree with you the stern always seems the trickiest part of any build to me. FYI this is the steamer and nozzle I've been using on the Bounty, which has some difficult bends. I found a couple of minutes steam on the plank at most is all that's necessary and it will bend safely and easily. I've found the steam & clamp in-situ process works better and faster for me than employing jigs for complicated stern geometry. For the bow, I steam and pre bend a bunch of planks at once using a plywood form cut with jigsaw that approximates the bow.

IMG_4043.JPG

Tim Moore

In progress

On Deck

Completed  

Fiat 806 Grand Prix 1:12, Italeri; Fifie 1:32, Amati Victory Model; HMS Bounty 1:48, Artesania Latina; Endeavour 1:60; Corel; Miss Severn 1:8, Legend Model Boats; Calypso, Billing Boats; Carmen Fishing Trawler, A.L. ; Dallas Revenue Cutter, A.L., Bluenose, A.L.

I like the steamer you have there may I ask where you brought it,  for now all I have to bend planks ard a  bending iron and a crumper the head of the iron is too 

big for the type of turn I need to do for the stern  hopefully the instruction will 

explain how to get the tight  turn  for linking the stern  when reach that part of the build 

Ronald 

Got it through Amazon...."smart living steam jr."

Tim Moore

In progress

On Deck

Completed