Length:    129.6 m

Beam:    15.8 m 

Draught:    6.3 m

Armament:    
12 × 1 - 152 mm (6 in) guns
12 × 1 - 75 mm (3.0 in) guns
8 × 1 - 47 mm (1.9 in) guns
2 × 1 - 37 mm (1.5 in) guns
6 × 1 - 381 mm (15.0 in) above-water torpedo tubes (1 bow, 1 stern, 2 per side)

1.jpg

The model will be completely built of wood and metal. Plastic parts are not applicable. Fiberglass is used only to insert the wooden case of the model.

The model will be built in the style of the museum. This photo shows an analogue of this style. This 1:48 scale model is kept in St. Petersburg, in the Central Naval Museum.

There are very few metal ships on the forum. I will try to add a little.  ☺️

2.jpg

Edited by Valeriy V

Hello Valeriy

A very unique, picturesque and notable ship. Welcome to the forum. Looking forward to your build.

Lou

Build logs: Colonial sloop Providence 1/48th scale kit bashed from AL Independence

Currant builds:

Constructo Brigantine Sentinel (Union) (On hold)

Minicraft 1/350 Titanic (For the Admiral)

1/350 Heavy Cruiser USS Houston (Resin)

Currant research/scratchbuild:

Schooner USS Lanikai/Hermes

Non ship build log:

1/35th UH-1H Huey

9 hours ago, lmagna said:

Hello Valeriy

A very unique, picturesque and notable ship. Welcome to the forum. Looking forward to your build.

Hi, Lou.

This ship and its crew are heroes of the Russian-Japanese war. Every person in Russia knows about them.

However, the number of reliable drawings is very small. Quality photos are also very small, because the ship was not long in the Russian fleet.

According to archival drawings and old photos, I make my plan.

v1.jpg

v2.jpg

v3.jpg

unfortunately,  that problem plagues us all.......building models with very little documentation or pictures.  looks like your off to a very good start though  ;)    wish I was that good with a computer.........luckily,  I manage to get by building out on my head :D   very nice hull frames!

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

8 hours ago, Valeriy V said:

This ship and its crew are heroes of the Russian-Japanese war.

She is a ship that should have interest to many. She was built in the United States, served in Russia, then repaired and served in Japan, then returned to Russia. Much like the story of the USS. Wake river gunboat in WWII. I have read about her in my books and look forward to seeing how she looks like in your build. Your plans look very professional.

Edited by lmagna

Lou

Build logs: Colonial sloop Providence 1/48th scale kit bashed from AL Independence

Currant builds:

Constructo Brigantine Sentinel (Union) (On hold)

Minicraft 1/350 Titanic (For the Admiral)

1/350 Heavy Cruiser USS Houston (Resin)

Currant research/scratchbuild:

Schooner USS Lanikai/Hermes

Non ship build log:

1/35th UH-1H Huey

4 hours ago, popeye the sailor said:

unfortunately,  that problem plagues us all.......building models with very little documentation or pictures.  looks like your off to a very good start though  ;)    wish I was that good with a computer.........luckily,  I manage to get by building out on my head :D   very nice hull frames!

Yes this. But everything is relative.  :) 
For example, for the battleship USS Mine there are 553 plans. And they are freely available. https://catalog.archives.gov/search?q=*:*&f.parentNaId=53484484&f.level=item&sort=naIdSort asc

For Varyag only 30 plans, and they are not available freely.  ;)  

Frames cut on a laser machine.

5 hours ago, lmagna said:

She is a ship that should have interest to many. She was built in the United States, served in Russia, then repaired and served in Japan, then returned to Russia. Much like the story of the USS. Wake river gunboat in WWII. I have read about her in my books and look forward to seeing how she looks like in your build.

It is very nice to know that you are interested in the history of the Russian Imperial Navy. :) 

10.jpg

Edited by Valeriy V

4 hours ago, druxey said:

Is there a reason you are building the model in two halves, Valeriy? Lovely work so far.

Yes, there is a reason. This method avoids the appearance of torsional deformations. This refers to long hulls. 

In addition, it is so convenient to put the frames correctly. 

Thanks for the support.  :) 

Frames cut on a laser machine.

I wondered about that when I saw what appeared to be charring on the frames. I have a great interest in the pre-Dreadnought era ships -- fascinating that so many Russian ships were built in American yards, while the Japanese ships were built in England.

Chris Coyle
Greer, South Carolina

When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
- Tuco

Current builds: Brigantine Phoenix, Hawker Hurricane

19 minutes ago, ccoyle said:

I have a great interest in the pre-Dreadnought era ships -- fascinating that so many Russian ships were built in American yards, while the Japanese ships were built in England.

I am glad to welcome you, colleague.
The Americans built 2 ships for Russia, the cruiser Varyag and the ironclad Retvizan. Both ships are very beautiful.

3.jpg

I had the 1/200 Orel card model of Retvizan at one point, but decided to part with it when my stash needed thinning. Orel makes some great models, but their after-market detail sets are PE brass, and I prefer to work with the laser-cut card detail sets produced by HMV.

Chris Coyle
Greer, South Carolina

When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
- Tuco

Current builds: Brigantine Phoenix, Hawker Hurricane

21 hours ago, ccoyle said:

I had the 1/200 Orel card model of Retvizan at one point, but decided to part with it when my stash needed thinning. Orel makes some great models, but their after-market detail sets are PE brass, and I prefer to work with the laser-cut card detail sets produced by HMV.

Yes, I am familiar with this company and its owner, Mikhail Orel. He has a complex and high-quality paper models.

very nice :) 

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch