Cruiser Varyag 1901 by Valeriy V - FINISHED - scale 1:75

10 minutes ago, cotrecerf said:

Very nice work, Valery! All hull details are no "drowned" in paint but still crisp and clearly discernible. Did you use airbrush and what kind of paint (acrylic, 2-component car paint or else) did you apply?

greetings

Hello cotrecerf!

I only paint with an airbrush, on this case I applied  2-component car paint  .

Apply epoxy primer from a cylinder before painting.

Valeriy,

I have been following this model since you started back in 2018. Your workmanship is superb, and the model is beautiful!

A person can learn a lot about building a model from scratch by reading thorough this thread.

One of the things I find interesting about the Varyag is that even though it was a Russian Navy ship it was built by the Cramp Shipyard in Philadelphia, USA. The cruiser I served on was also built by Cramp, but 40 years later. There were a lot of changes in ship design over those 40 years!

I actually came across your build by accident. I was studying the modern Russian Navy Varyag guided missile cruiser and Google lead me here. It was a fortunate bit of serendipity.

Edited by Dr PR

14 hours ago, Dr PR said:

Valeriy,

I have been following this model since you started back in 2018. Your workmanship is superb, and the model is beautiful!

A person can learn a lot about building a model from scratch by reading thorough this thread.

One of the things I find interesting about the Varyag is that even though it was a Russian Navy ship it was built by the Cramp Shipyard in Philadelphia, USA. The cruiser I served on was also built by Cramp, but 40 years later. There were a lot of changes in ship design over those 40 years!

I actually came across your build by accident. I was studying the modern Russian Navy Varyag guided missile cruiser and Google lead me here. It was a fortunate bit of serendipity.

Thanks Phil!
  I got acquainted with your wonderful work a little earlier, when my friend Vladimir began to build his model according to your wonderful drawings.  ;)

In the Soviet Navy there were two missile cruisers with the same name, project 58 and project 1164. Which one are you interested in?

It was project 1164, a Slava class. Three were completed back in the 1980s. Moskva. Marshal Ustinov and Varyag. Ukrayina was started but not finished. Ukraine took possession after the breakup of the Soviet Union and it is in Mykolaiv, Ukraine.

472239796_Slava887Varyagguidedmissilecruiservaryagphotos-9.jpg.d254d6a090e98d032b7087ec0a2cd181.jpg

I think these are beautiful ships, although a bit out dated now.

They served in the same flagship role as the USS Oklahoma City CG-5 that I served on. The huge anti-ship Balzat/Sandbox missiles are similar technology to the Talos missiles I worked on.

Edited by Dr PR

1 hour ago, Dr PR said:

It was project 1164, a Slava class. Three were completed back in the 1980s. Moskva. Marshal Ustinov and Varyag. Ukrayina was started but not finished. Ukraine took possession after the breakup of the Soviet Union and it is in Mykolaiv, Ukraine.

I think these are beautiful ships, although a bit out dated now.

I completely agree with you, these ships are very beautiful.
  The last of them "Admiral Lobov" (the future "Ukraine") was in front of my eyes all 6 years that I spent in Nikolaev during my studies.

f1.JPG

f2.JPG

An enjoyable half hour catching up Valeriy, your craftsmanship is always impressive. 

Keith

Current Build:-

Cangarda (Steam Yacht) - Scale 1:24

Previous Builds:-

Schooner Germania (Nova) - Scale 1:36

https://modelshipworld.com/topic/19848-schooner-germania-nova-by-keithaug-scale-136-1908-2011/

Schooner Altair by KeithAug - Scale 1:32 - 1931

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/12515-schooner-altair-by-keithaug-scale-132-1931/?p=378702

J Class Endeavour by KeithAug - Amati - Scale 1:35 - 1989 after restoration.

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/10752-j-class-endeavour-by-keithaug-amati-scale-135-1989-after-restoration/?p=325029

Other Topics

Nautical Adventures

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/13727-nautical-adventures/?p=422846

9 hours ago, KeithAug said:

An enjoyable half hour catching up Valeriy, your craftsmanship is always impressive. 

Keith  i think looking at your detailed photo reports on the production of detailing, that my blog only slightly adds information to the general picture of building models. :) 

I just finished catching up Valeriy........and I must say that I'm in awe!  such fine metal work........you do some very detailed work :)  definitely museum quality  ;) 

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

Hello Valeriy, like some others I am just catching up. You have a fine touch with the metalwork. I to like your small details such as the chain and shackles. The capstans are small works of art in themselves. I like the method that you used to create the vents as well.

Michael

Current builds  Bristol Pilot Cutter 1:8;      Skipjack 19 foot Launch 1:8;       Herreshoff Buzzards Bay 14 1:8

Other projects  Pilot Cutter 1:500 ;   Maria, 1:2  Now just a memory    

Future model Gill Smith Catboat Pauline 1:8

Finished projects  A Bassett Lowke steamship Albertic 1:100  

Anything you can imagine is possible, when you put your mind to it.

23 hours ago, shipman said:

Your hand holding the funnel suddenly brings the scale of your model into focus.

I continue to be amazed.

The length of the model is 1728 mm, it is not a very large model. This size is convenient to work with in my small workshop. :) 

17 hours ago, popeye the sailor said:

I just finished catching up Valeriy........and I must say that I'm in awe!  such fine metal work........you do some very detailed work :)  definitely museum quality  ;) 

Thank you Popeye    , I try very hard . ;) 

15 hours ago, michael mott said:

Hello Valeriy, like some others I am just catching up. You have a fine touch with the metalwork. I to like your small details such as the chain and shackles. The capstans are small works of art in themselves. I like the method that you used to create the vents as well.

Michael

Thanks Michael!
   I am pleased to watch your masterpieces made of wood. And your workshop with excellent equipment amazes me!

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

very nice......... :) 

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

WOW 

What a stunning build

Its all part of Kev's journey, bit like going to the dark side, but with the lights on

All the best

Kevin :omg:

SAY NO TO PIRACY. SUPPORT ORIGINAL IDEAS AND MANUFACTURERS.
KEEP IT REAL!

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

On the build table

HMS Indefatigable 1794 by Kevin - Vanguard Models - 1:64 - Feb 2023 

HMHS Britannic by Kevin 

SD 14  - Marcle Models - 1/70 - March 2022 -  Bluebell - Flower Class - Revel - 1/72   U552 German U Boat - Trumpeter - 1/48  Amerigo Vespucci     1/84 - Panart-   HMS Enterprise  -CAF -  1/48     

Finished     

St-Nectan-Mountfleet-models-steam-trawler-1/32 - Completed June 2020

HMS Victory - Caldercraft/Jotika - 1/72 - Finished   Dorade renamed Dora by Kevin - Amati - 1/20 - Completed March 2021 

Stage Coach 1848 - Artesania Latina - 1/10 -Finished Lady Eleanor by Kevin - FINISHED - Vanguard Models - 1/64 - Fifie fishing boat

On 7/1/2021 at 5:05 PM, Pannonicus71 said:

Privyet Valeriy,

I am one of the catching up followers. I have the paper Varyags of DB and BM in my stash. I am thinking of enlarging one of them into 1:100. It will be a huge challenge.  But far from your extraorbital work.  Just keep on. Schastlivoy raboty !

Hey!
     Are you planning to build a model of "Varyag" on a scale of 1: 100 from paper?