L'Amarante by Heinrich der Seefahrer - 1:72 - trial for a POB&F technics

Hello friends of the smaller ships out of the line of sight of the three-decker-enthusiastic public!

An additive foreword: Due to my working situation I am parttime in the NL in a small hotel without any possibilities to model anything. And the problem is for me being so tired that I'm not able to concenreate to do anything more than monkey work or pure reading. But in the other hand there is nothing to do elsewhere in town - so I'm forced to stay in my hotelroom filling my time. (I do not use the TV due to semireligious matters.)

By reading Ian McLaughlan's fantasic book „The Sloop of War 1650-1763“ - I came across the chapter about the French Corvette and Privateer Construction. In here I saw her the first time and fall in love to „La Amarante“ a little masterpice of Blaise Ollivier.

Built at Brest in 1747 she shows all the decorational pomp of the late baroque/early rokkoko in a limited area on a ship able to fit a flat's livingroom even in 1:36. But for my travels dutys I halfed the size. 

The ship is drawn by the fanstastic Delacroix and publiced in a Ancre style monography for around £90.

The drawings are amaizing and due to my future regular business travels to NL I can't work on a model in hotel. (Okay I could, but than I would need a new hotel to stay.) I am too tired not to harm even a card model. So I'll spend my free hours far away from family by recherche work on L'Amarante.

This due to the factum that Delacroix's drawings and the contemporary drawings of the transom differ. Also I like to figure out more of the details. This work will be the fundament for the scratchbuilding and for several month hardly anything will happen on the shipyard.

The fact is I can only work with the very „omni-glot“ part of the book - the drawings; as I never had had got more than a couple of French lessons at school at all. In the 80th Delacroix book was still unwritten and my person didn't know about him - but if, I would have been more enthusiastic about French lessons if I would know about L'Amarante!

Inbetween I was able to scale the drawings down to 1/72 to start a mobile try-it-out project. You find the photos arround here. As I do not own a mill a PoF-model is impossible - so I do plan a vaneer covered plywood pile hull. My idea is to use the drawings of the frames to cut out as filled - so as bulkheads. The bulkheads pileon bukkheads with fillers between them to a hull - a PoB-model with the number of bulkheads as frames would be on a PoB&F-model.  I have th number fo the 52 frames but I'm building 52 bulkhads plus filling pices. So the surface is very large to glue 1 to 1,5mm vaneer on it. But I never tryed! 

So I have got the one and only question: Is my way a silly thing to do to a 550mm hull?

So I'm singing „Richmond is a hard road to travel“ and do start with some pictures from my collection for you. Best wishes to all of you.

IMG-20181031-WA0042.jpeg

IMG-20181031-WA0040.jpeg

IMG-20181031-WA0038.jpeg

IMG-20181031-WA0036.jpeg

IMG-20181031-WA0030.jpeg

IMG-20181031-WA0028.jpeg

Edited by Heinrich der Seefahrer
Resizing my bad English, adding a joke

"Let's add every day 1/2 hour of

modelship building to our

projects' progress..."

Take care!

Christian Heinrich

OverTheWaves.jpg.534bd9a459123becf821c603b550c99e.jpg

simple, true and inpretentious motto of ROYAL LOUIS, 1668

Sunking's mediter. flagship most decorated ocean-going ship 

Ships on build:

SAINT PHILIPPE, 1693: 

1st rang French 90-gun ship - Lavente flagship (based on Heller SR - 1/92 & scratch in 1/64) 

TONNANT, 1693: 

1st rang French 90-gun ship - sister of SAINT PHILIPPE (mock-up/test-object for S.P. - scratch in 1/64) 

Projects in planing:

L'AURORE, 1766:

French Pleasure Corvette (after Ancre plans - scatch in 1/64)

Some Spantaneous Short Term Projects

Here some comparements between the Oliveer original ink drawings and the Delacroix drawings from the first decarde of the XXI.century. An interesting job to lay the two drawings side by side and look for the differences. It is not that easy to figure out these little details - and to change them to the historical correct pattern.

There is an error in the upper left corner of the side badge - not easy to find as the  source but the impact is important. (I arranged the twi drawings side by side for you, too.) The same thing happens with the massive gallion decoration - Delacroix minimized it, so I think about a decoration between the craftsmans sales oriented drawings and the modern minimalism-orientired workout.

Mr.Scale is added to show how tiny the L'Amarante was.

IMG-20181029-WA0033.jpeg

IMG-20181029-WA0031.jpeg

IMG-20181029-WA0029.jpeg

IMG-20181029-WA0023.jpeg

IMG-20181023-WA0038.jpeg

IMG-20181023-WA0035.jpeg

Mr.Scale and his text added

projects' progress..."

Take care!

Christian Heinrich

Ships on build:

SAINT PHILIPPE, 1693: 

1st rang French 90-gun ship - Lavente flagship (based on Heller SR - 1/92 & scratch in 1/64) 

TONNANT, 1693: 

1st rang French 90-gun ship - sister of SAINT PHILIPPE (mock-up/test-object for S.P. - scratch in 1/64) 

Projects in planing:

L'AURORE, 1766:

Here short shot from the frame's drawing.

IMG-20181102-WA0001.jpeg

projects' progress..."

Take care!

Christian Heinrich

Ships on build:

SAINT PHILIPPE, 1693: 

TONNANT, 1693: 

Projects in planing:

L'AURORE, 1766:

I managed to copy some of thethe decoraton work on transparent paper and to compare it to the Olliviere ink drawings:

On the transom I took the windows high for the indicating factor and made all the copies to this scale.

I also trief to fix the existing points of the Delacroix drawing onto the Olliviere design inks.

IMG-20181103-WA0024.jpeg

IMG-20181103-WA0017.jpeg

IMG-20181103-WA0022.jpeg

IMG-20181103-WA0015.jpeg

IMG-20181103-WA0013.jpeg

IMG-20181103-WA0010.jpeg

projects' progress..."

Take care!

Christian Heinrich

Ships on build:

SAINT PHILIPPE, 1693: 

TONNANT, 1693: 

Projects in planing:

L'AURORE, 1766:

I managed to copy some of thethe decoraton work on transparent paper and to compare it to the Olliviere ink drawings:

On the transom I took the windows high for the indicating factor and made all the copies to this scale.

I also trief to fix the existing points of the Delacroix drawing onto the Olliviere design inks.

projects' progress..."

Take care!

Christian Heinrich

Ships on build:

SAINT PHILIPPE, 1693: 

TONNANT, 1693: 

Projects in planing:

L'AURORE, 1766:

Back from the copyshop again...

IMG-20181103-WA0028.jpeg

IMG-20181103-WA0026.jpeg

projects' progress..."

Take care!

Christian Heinrich

Ships on build:

SAINT PHILIPPE, 1693: 

TONNANT, 1693: 

Projects in planing:

L'AURORE, 1766:

The formers are 4,5mm thick and the gaps between them 2,4mm. 

Less impressive is my progress with measurements.

At the moment I'm dealing with the formers thickness.

So if I make some error in here now nothing will fit at the very end due to the massive number of erroral parts and their addition of oversize to a very big fault. 

So my question is - is it cleverer to measure on the 1/36 original plans and half the number by my calculator - or to use the downsized copies? This due the the fact of the paper that has been working in the heating and cooling of the copying process and in minimum was enlarged and shrinked.

What is your yard workerman's best practice?

IMG-20181104-WA0005.jpeg

projects' progress..."

Take care!

Christian Heinrich

Ships on build:

SAINT PHILIPPE, 1693: 

TONNANT, 1693: 

Projects in planing:

L'AURORE, 1766:

I can't speak for others, but use the prints that have been reduced to keep everything in proportion.   Going back and forth between the original and the reduced prints can create all sorts of mismatches.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

• 1 month later...

Hello GD I am still struggeling with the French language (,I've got a French textbook).

So I do translation work very hard - I am lerninh French from books autodidactically.

projects' progress..."

Take care!

Christian Heinrich

Ships on build:

SAINT PHILIPPE, 1693: 

TONNANT, 1693: 

Projects in planing:

L'AURORE, 1766:

I have now to identify the PoB-bulkhads being identical to the PoF-frames and then I'll have to transfere the frames into bulkheads. So the very first thing I do need are three fixed points in the empty over the keel's groove.

So lets walk to the copyshop again and copy all the frames singulary, numbering them and then I'll be back at the drawing board doing some fine scale work. 

At the very end I hope to have transformed all the frames into bulkheads. That's the very idea of the hole process.

projects' progress..."

Take care!

Christian Heinrich

Ships on build:

SAINT PHILIPPE, 1693: 

TONNANT, 1693: 

Projects in planing:

L'AURORE, 1766:

On 12/23/2018 at 1:45 AM, druxey said:

I like to draft on frosted Mylar sheet: it doesn't expand and contract like paper.

thank you very very much for your advice!!! And then I'll copy everything on frosted Mylar sheets by hand... 

projects' progress..."

Take care!

Christian Heinrich

Ships on build:

SAINT PHILIPPE, 1693: 

TONNANT, 1693: 

Projects in planing:

L'AURORE, 1766:

On 11/4/2018 at 7:52 PM, mtaylor said:

I can't speak for others, but use the prints that have been reduced to keep everything in proportion.   Going back and forth between the original and the reduced prints can create all sorts of mismatches.

Thanks a lot, I'm still working with the copies now only. The 1/36 scale is so wonderful big but will give such a massive hull it couldn't be placed on my resting shelf. 

projects' progress..."

Take care!

Christian Heinrich

Ships on build:

SAINT PHILIPPE, 1693: 

TONNANT, 1693: 

Projects in planing:

L'AURORE, 1766:

On 11/4/2018 at 7:52 PM, mtaylor said:

Thanks a lot, I'm still working with the copies now only. The 1/36 scale is so wonderful big but will give such a massive hull it couldn't be placed on my resting shelf. 

Here my scetch for the three points (A,B,C) in the bulkhead (E) and also in the frame (F)

The points are definited by

(B):

the crossing of the construction water line (CWL) and middel line (ML)

(A & C): upper outside edge of a square wood to fiddle the bulkheads behind each other. 

(I'll later do a propper drawing on transpatentpaper with differend coloured lines.)

My question to the public is the followering:

Under (B) is the long groove to put in a kind of middle board

or

shall I  cut a short groove to just to lay in the keel? 

Thanks for your help.

IMG-20181228-WA0031.jpeg

projects' progress..."

Take care!

Christian Heinrich

Ships on build:

SAINT PHILIPPE, 1693: 

TONNANT, 1693: 

Projects in planing:

L'AURORE, 1766:

Considering that ANCRE prides itself on producing historically accurate monographs of age of sail French shipbuilding I cannot understand why they include details, that differ from those for which accurate documentation exists as with the bow headrails and stern quarter carvings shown above.

Any thoughts?

Roger

13 hours ago, Roger Pellett said:

Considering that ANCRE prides itself on producing historically accurate monographs of age of sail French shipbuilding I cannot understand why they include details, that differ from those for which accurate documentation exists as with the bow headrails and stern quarter carvings shown above.

Any thoughts?

Roger

Hy Roger Mr Delacroix will hopefully answer a bit more detailled than I can do.

But I estimate that the decoration is certainly a marketing feature from the Italian Rokkoko artist Casselli... and on the other hand the construction of the basic (undecorated) transom is a mathematical result of given data by Ancre. Than (so I do imaginate) the decorational artwork is resized to the transom/over the transom - by both the shipyard and Mr.Delacroix. It is in both times only one interpretation. IMG-20181031-WA0036.thumb.jpeg.1a25cbce0b231d2f9d68da73f6a29d66.jpegIMG-20181029-WA0023.thumb.jpeg.c06f86142ae58f215cebf68775592e1f.jpeg.  And that I found this error in the sidegalllery is a lucky punch. Other modelbuilders built a masterclass 1/36 model not being aware of this ornamental irregularity... i saw it due to the fact that I live near Sans Souci and have had visited hunderts of southgerman barqoue churches and rokkoko mansions during my youth time.

So let us be sportsman's fair wait for Mr.Delacroix's point of view.

Imserted pictures

projects' progress..."

Take care!

Christian Heinrich

Ships on build:

SAINT PHILIPPE, 1693: 

TONNANT, 1693: 

Projects in planing:

L'AURORE, 1766:

And the technicak drawings are high end toplevel craftmansship.

Behold A for it is all the under transoms parts in min. two perspectives:

IMG-20181031-WA0038.thumb.jpeg.a3e6f4afdcec2c06528133cbfad06d0b.jpegIMG-20181031-WA0036.thumb.jpeg.1a25cbce0b231d2f9d68da73f6a29d66.jpeg

projects' progress..."

Take care!

Christian Heinrich

Ships on build:

SAINT PHILIPPE, 1693: 

TONNANT, 1693: 

Projects in planing:

L'AURORE, 1766: