I've started my first build and am still in the process of aquiring hand and power tools to complete my shop.  The one area I'm not familiar with is painting with an airbrush.

I've not had the occasion to work with an airbrush before.  I read the post on air compressor alternatives, but am actually in a position financially where I can afford an air compressor.

I made a trip to our local Home Deport and looked at their small, portable air compressors, but was told by the sales person that the smaller compressors would not work for an airbrush because they do not deliver constant flow.  They said that even though the unit had a tank (1 to 2 gallons) the compressor would not cycle often enough to provide the constant psi needed for the airbrush.

I don't get it!

My question is; what would be a good air compressor to use with an airbrush?

Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.  I have some time before I'm ready to begin paining.

Jack

Builds:

Bluenose  (Model Shipways 1:100)

Cutty Sark (Mini Mamoli)

Mayflower (Model Shipways)

Queen Anne's Revenge

Ghostbusters Proton Pack

Hi jack.

Given the size or the tank on what you looked at it seems strange that there wouldn't be enough volume there for a constant flow.

I started airbrushing with a relatively cheap compressor from a hardware store many years ago. It's designed run an Air gun, sprayer, pump tyres etc in a home workshop.The volume of the tank was enough to give constant pressure with no trouble. After long bursts it would empty but would refill again in about 20 seconds. The key here was that this compressor had a psi capability of 100psi. That's way more than you would ever need for airbrushing but high enough that it can keep that tank filled and deliver pressure without pulsing. The only downside with this compressor was the noise- it's extremely loud.

post-271-0-00618100-1367096149_thumb.jpg

Lately I've been using a compressor on loan from a friend. It's designed for an airbrush and is much smaller.

Vital statistics here. It's fairly old so I don't know if they are available where you are but there should be similar brands on the market from suppliers online and here in nz they seem to be getting cheaper than they used to be.

post-271-0-24635300-1367096342_thumb.jpg

post-271-0-80879100-1367096847_thumb.jpg

This has a much smaller tank and psi but creates more than enough constant pressure but must run constantly to do so.

I find airbrushing is done at a max of about 20-25psi with lower being suitable for most work. At this pressure a moisture trap (the clear plastic tube with the gauge at right) is a good investment as it acts as a second reservoir and can help even out any pulsing from the compressor. I'd ask the hardware store guy if you can turn one on and adjust the pressure to about 20psi and open the tap to see if it will run without pulsing. If in doubt keep shopping around form something that can put out about 30psi and has a tank of about 4-5litres ( think thats a couple gallons) Hope this ramble helps.

Edited by Timmo

I have been using a compressor for over a year ith no tank never noticed a problem as with airbrushing your not spraying on a continuous cycle - the link is the compressor I have but I purchased it else where. If you are using one for several minutes make sure you check the water trap and keep it empty otherwise water will get into the airbrush.

http://www.cornwallmodelboats.co.uk/acatalog/mantua_4750051.html

Norman

Norman

Current build Trumpeter Arizona 1:200 with White Ensign PE and a Nautilus Wooden Deck.

Built Caldercraft Convulsion, HM Brig Badger and HMS Snake.

Awaiting - Zvelda HMS Dreadnought planning to get the Pontos Deck and PE Upgrades, Panart 1:23 Gun deck model and couple of the cannon kits Manatu - French siege mortar, and American coastal cannon.

Thank you for your insight.  I plowed through the Internet and checked out all your links.

I finally found what I think will work for me.  I located a web site for TCP Global.  They seem to specialize in spray painting equipment.  Found a compressor, with a tank, designed for airbrushes.  It's the right size and the price is right.

Jack

Builds:

Cutty Sark (Mini Mamoli)

Queen Anne's Revenge

Ghostbusters Proton Pack

I just received this one on Saturday:

http://www.amazon.com/Master-Airbrush-Performance-Multi-purpose-Compressor-The/dp/B001TO578Q/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1367254980&sr=8-1&keywords=airbrush+compressor

I haven't used it to paint yet, but I ran the compressor yesterday and blew air through the gun. It was very smooth and quiet and kept a steady pressure. I was quite happy.

Tom,

Very close to what I ordered and yes I went through Amazon.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0038D38AA/ref=oh_details_o01_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Same company:  TCP Global

Jack

Builds:

Cutty Sark (Mini Mamoli)

Queen Anne's Revenge

Ghostbusters Proton Pack

I've started my first build and am still in the process of aquiring hand and power tools to complete my shop.  The one area I'm not familiar with is painting with an airbrush.

I've not had the occasion to work with an airbrush before.  I read the post on air compressor alternatives, but am actually in a position financially where I can afford an air compressor.

I made a trip to our local Home Deport and looked at their small, portable air compressors, but was told by the sales person that the smaller compressors would not work for an airbrush because they do not deliver constant flow.  They said that even though the unit had a tank (1 to 2 gallons) the compressor would not cycle often enough to provide the constant psi needed for the airbrush.

I don't get it!

My question is; what would be a good air compressor to use with an airbrush?

Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.  I have some time before I'm ready to begin paining.

I currently use an Iwata Eclipse dual action airbrush for miniature painting (yes, I paint minis for wargaming).  For my purposes I have a very small 2 piston compressor that I got at hobby lobby.  I think its called the hurricane or something like that.  It will go up to about 40psi and I usually spray at around 15 - 20 psi.  For minis we usually use very short bursts, but when I am undercoating, I spray in longer bursts and this compressor keeps up just fine.

The ones at the hardware store with a 1 or 2 gallon tank will in fact suit your needs.  Your airbrush will not empty a 2 gallon tank so fast that the compressor cant keep up.  Most of the pro modelers that i know use them.  However, they are LOUD.  If you are only painting out in the garage or workshop, that will probably be ok, just wear ear plugs. 

Most of the hobby level compressors with tanks have a 1 or 2 gallon compressor and they do just fine.  But the difference is they are super quiet.  I use mine and my wife and I can watch tv in the same room.

Please keep in mind the the type of paint you are using. If you are going to spray indoors, please stick with Acrylic paints.  At lower pressures, air brushes produce very little overspray.  With your face right there painting, you might consider wearing a paper face mask.  But little to no over spray will get much further. 

Above there is a link to a compressor on Amazon that sells some TCP global compressors.  They are quite nice and affordable while being quiet and producing enough volume to keep up with our purposes.  If you were detail painting a full size car, you might consider something else, but for our uses, these small ones are plenty.

Let me know if you want some airbrush info.  Dont be intimidated, just get it out and try it on some scrap.

Ken

Current Build: US Brig Syren by Model Shipways

Previous Build: AL Swift

• 2 weeks later...

Guys,

Thank you very much for all your input.  The compressor arrived last Monday.  I did order the Master TC-20C through Amazon.  I didn't get a chance to unpack it until last night.  Been tied up with a family medical emergency.

Not sure what the deal is, but the nipple on the output side of the regulator is too small.  The adaptor for the airbrush hose will not fit.  I believe the nipple is supposed to be a 1/4" NPT, male/male?  This one has the 1/4" male on one end (screwed into the regulator output side), but a smaller diameter threaded side on the other end.  Guess I'll have to make a trip to the local Harbor Freight this weekend.

Ken; I would greatly appreciate any information you have on airbrushing.  Thank you.

Once I get this contraption working I have a great test for it.  The Admiral bought a second hand doll house for our granddaughter I have been tasked with making repairs and repainting it.  Lots of area to test painting techniques.

Jack

Builds:

Cutty Sark (Mini Mamoli)

Queen Anne's Revenge

Ghostbusters Proton Pack

Drove down to the local hobby shop and presented my problem to them.  Had a couple of the people scratching their heads.

The general concensis was that the one attached to the output side of the regulator was not correct.  The diameter and threads did not match anything they had.  They were able to find a 1/4" x 1/4" male/male nipple and a 1/4" airbrush hose adaptor.  All is now fixed and the compressor is functioning as it should.

Jack

Builds:

Cutty Sark (Mini Mamoli)

Queen Anne's Revenge

Ghostbusters Proton Pack