Medway Longboat - 1742 - FINISHED - 1:24 Scale - by Ryland Craze

I anticipated this and made tgose ears a bit large.  Once planking is fone and you apply the frieze, you will bo doubt have to sand off more and even resuce and lower the top edge of the transom.

2 hours ago, Chuck said:

I anticipated this and made those ears a bit large.  Once planking is done and you apply the frieze, you will no doubt have to sand off more and even reduce and lower the top edge of the transom.

That is good news.  I was afraid that I had messed up the transom.  It is great that you designed this kit so that small mistakes by the builder can be corrected leaving no evidence of the mistake.

Ryland

Member - Hampton Roads Ship Model Society

- Ship Model Society of New Jersey

- Nautical Research Guild

Current Build - Armed Virginia Sloop, 18th Century Longboat

Completed Build - Medway Longboat

• 1 month later...

Completed lining off the starboard side of my Longboat.  I had trouble with the tape sticking to the frames, but found some 1/16" Art Tape from Hobby Lobby that has worked out very well.  I took a damp rag and wiped off the surfaces that I wanted the tape to stick to.  The slightest amount of dust will cause the tape to not adhere properly.  Now to start the port side and then on to the planking.

P1060337.thumb.jpg.3c262da7275eb89471bd6099d7447d02.jpg

P1060335.thumb.JPG.ab3843101017a5a411b4d84d5886182a.JPG

P1060336.thumb.jpg.d735a8c4e755e2abd4d04a301a4e3357.jpg

Edited by Ryland Craze

Ryland

• 4 weeks later...

Thanks Michael for your comment and for the "Likes".  I have completed the lining off of the port side of the hull.  Now I can start the planking.

P1060367.thumb.JPG.ef158abb522c6c1818835e06c868d20e.JPG

P1060368.thumb.JPG.03787ad72ef631f6289bf1d49247aea5.JPG

Ryland

Looking Good Ryland......

I am also looking forward to the show next month.   It will be great to see you guys.

Thanks Chuck.  We are already registered for the Northeast Joint Clubs Show.  We look forward to seeing you guys.  We will also be spending some time in Lyndhurst and touring NYC.  I will also be visiting my favorite place to eat as pictured below.

DSC_0282.thumb.jpg.592a7779b1f72f9731a676ca27754c61.jpg

Ryland

• 3 months later...

It has been a while since I have updated my build log.  I am about half way through the planking process.  I have only snapped two planks in the process of contouring the planks.  It was easy to make replacement planks using the excess wood on the bottom of the laser cut plank sheets.  I am finding that the planks fit much nicer now that I am beyond the first three rows of planks from the keel.  I am drilling the holes for the simulated nails when I install each plank as it seems easier to me not to miss the bulkheads below the plank with my drill bit.  Here are some pictures of my progress to date:

P1060505.thumb.JPG.404e02d9efa124920d010ac98e70ff99.JPG

P1060506.thumb.JPG.d83e20457a3203021fd4910fcf5c97c9.JPG

P1060507.thumb.JPG.967417529a0e03bd49b823310bb84064.JPG

P1060508.thumb.JPG.694950b3aa34caae40911191c1da0b51.JPG

Ryland

Nice planking Ryland....only 4 more to go!!!  Very precise joints.   Its so nice to see so many clean well crafted longboats.  Yours is an excellent example.  :)

Chuck

Thanks Chuck.  The pre-shaped planks are fitting nicely.  For the most part, a slight bevel on the edge and the plank fits nicely.  The design of this kit amazes me as I have never worked with a kit that was so well engineered.

Ryland

Very nice tight precise planking job Ryland. Look forward to seeing more!

Rusty

"So Long For Now" B) 

Current Builds: HMS Winchelsea 1/48  Duchess of Kingston

Completed Build Logs: USF Confederacy , US Brig Syren , Triton Cross Section , Bomb Vessel Cross SectionCutter CheerfulQueen Anne Barge, Medway Longboat

Completed Build Gallery: Brig Syren , 1870 Mississippi Riverboat , 1949 Chris-Craft 19' Runabout

Thanks Michael.  I will be following your build of the Royal Barge.  I have seen Chuck's model at the Northeast Joint Clubs Conference and it builds into a nice model.  You will do a good job on your Royal Barge after seeing your work on your Pinnace.

Greg, the lining out of the hull was a good learning experience.  It refreshed what I learned in the Planking Admiralty Workshop.  I am sure some builders of this model will not line out their hull.  My marks on the bulkheads for the most part matched the width of the preformed planks.  I also used the lined out hull as a teaching aid at one of our Club meetings.

Rusty, it was good seeing you at the Northeast Joint Clubs Conference and thanks for bringing your Medway Longboat and your Royal Barge.  Your craftsmanship is excellent and it motivated me to get back to work on my models.

Ryland

Thanks Bob.  That is quite a compliment from someone who I have admired their work over the years.  You do not give yourself enough credit for the fine job of planking that you have done on your Longboat.

Ryland

• 1 month later...

It has been awhile since I have posted on my Medway Longboat Build Log.  I thought that I would give an update on my progress.

In early July, I was having some chest discomfort and pains in my left arm.  After numerous tests and procedures by my cardiologist, it was determined that I needed quadruple heart bypass surgery.  This was performed on July 26th and I came home on July 31st.  Recovery was going along as planned until I started having breathing problems and light headiness.  I went back in the hospital on August 9th and they found that I had massive blood clots in my legs, groin and lungs.  I was put on blood thinner and they placed a filter just before my heart to catch any blood clots that should make their way toward my heart.  I was released on August 14th and have been getting better with each day.  I feel that I should make a complete recovery and am very lucky to be writing this post on MSW.

I have completed the planking and installation of the wales on my Longboat.  I still have some sanding to do.  I did drill the holes for the simulated nails after the installation of each plank.  I felt this was easier to do than doing it after the hull planking was completed.  I have attached some pictures of where I am on my build.

P1060526.thumb.JPG.da482349a12bb821bb55f0b416426601.JPG

P1060527.thumb.JPG.29f158bfd6b1a5002b9edbbe3863b548.JPG

P1060529.thumb.JPG.6f62f239ae766616bac6da62ed2774a4.JPG

P1060530.thumb.JPG.bb0e300f7c05085bb4289b126c5aea79.JPG

Ryland

That looks great Ryland.  Its so great to see you up and around.  Patti and I have been thinking about you and we were quite worried.   Time to slow down and get more shop time in.   Hope to see you guys real soon.

Chuck

Sorry to hear of your health problems Ryland, but glad to hear that you are on the road to recovery. The build is looking is looking lovely.

Sorry to hear about your health issues. Glad you are back with us. Boat looks great. We wish you a speedy recovery.

Glad to see you're up and about. Nice to see you posting again.

John

Member: Hampton Roads Ship Model Society

Current Builds: Tugboat Dorothy  Newport News Shipbuilding Hull #1 (complete)

Iron Clad Monitor (complete) 

Sardine Carrier which I will Name Mary Ann (complete)

Pilot Boat John H. Estill Newport News Shipbuilding Hull #12 (my avatar)

Harbor tug Susan Moran

Coast Guard 100' patrol boat

Thanks everyone for your kind remarks.  It feels good to be sitting at my workbench and I look forward to working on my Longboat.  I start cardio rehab on Monday which should increase my endurance and get me back to a normal life.

Ryland

Great to have you back Ryland. I've had two bypass surgeries, so I understand the feeling well. The good news is that my last one was twenty two years ago and I'm still here. Obviously an unpleasant situation, but you have a lot to look forward to and you'll feel much better. Do your rehab, and enjoy your modeling.

Bob

Thanks Bob for your comments.  Several members of my Club (HRSMS) have had bypass surgery over twenty years ago and they are doing just fine.  I was doing well with my recovery until the blood clots came into the picture. I called about my breathing issues and even saw a nurse and was told that my issues were normal for bypass surgery.  It got so bad that I finally went to the emergency room.  My oxygen level was so low that the it did not register on their meter.  I could finally breath when they gave me high doses of oxygen.  I should have gone back to the hospital when I first started having breathing issues.  Lesson learned, If you feel that something is not right with your body, it probably is not right.  Listen to your body.

Ryland

Super glad that you went in to get checked out again. That’s the entire reason that the emergency department exists. It doesn’t exist for the stupid paper cuts and stuffy noses it exists for the patient who is truly concerned about an emergency. Any postop patient who is having any concerns needs to immediately get checked out no matter what time of day or night it is.  I would rather have 1000 postop patients come in and then find out in a couple hours later that it’s not too much to worry about then to have one patient stay home with their massive PE or cardiac event or bowel obstruction etc after a surgery.

I don’t know if this whole thing has thrown a wrench in the plans to come to the NRG conference this year or not but I hope the rest of the recovery is proceeding well. 

Michael, I appreciate your comments.  The emergency room personnel were great and I have the utmost admiration for their skills.  They diagnosed my problem quickly and got me comfortable very quickly.  This was a Friday night and I got to the emergency room about an hour before four shooting victims came in.  It was quite a scene, but they continued to check on me while there was chaos in other areas of the emergency room.  They handled everything in a truly professional manner.  I just wished that I had come in sooner and ignored those that said my difficulties were normal.

I have registered for the NRG Conference and fully expect to be at full strength by Conference date.  I had a milestone today as I have had my driving privileges restored by my Doctor.  I was getting tired of being a back seat driver as my wife has been chauffeuring me around. This to me is a step to returning to a normal life.

Ryland