Medway Longboat - 1742 - FINISHED - 1:24 Scale - by Ryland Craze

Very nice work Ryland.

Dumb question maybe, I haven't read that far ahead in the instructions, but would the rigging on a longboat actually have been served given how often it would be rigged/de-rigged in use on a large ship?

Thanks for the "Likes" and also Chuck and Brian for your comments.

4 hours ago, GuntherMT said:

I haven't read that far ahead in the instructions, but would the rigging on a longboat actually have been served given how often it would be rigged/de-rigged in use on a large ship?

Brian, that is a good question.  I do not know what the correct answer is, but Chuck mentions in the instructions that they were served.  He said this was optional and that it looks nice.  I like the look and feel it is an added detail.

Ryland

Member - Hampton Roads Ship Model Society

- Ship Model Society of New Jersey

- Nautical Research Guild

Current Build - Armed Virginia Sloop, 18th Century Longboat

Completed Build - Medway Longboat

I do like the look of serving for sure, so I'll probably end up serving mine even if it's a flip-a-coin thing.  I was mostly curious as it seems odd that they would serve lines that were so temporary, but I guess it would make it easier to re-rig each time if the top eye loops were served making it easier to know what went where!

Very nice work Ryland. I must get back to mine soon, having had a month away doing other projects.

Hi Ryland just finished going through your build very nice work on the planking by the way. I like the ropework as well. Looks like you are close to finishing, I enjoyed visiting with you on the Zoom meeting. it is nice to be able to put name and voices and faces together.

Michael

Current builds  Bristol Pilot Cutter 1:8;      Skipjack 19 foot Launch 1:8;       Herreshoff Buzzards Bay 14 1:8

Other projects  Pilot Cutter 1:500 ;   Maria, 1:2  Now just a memory    

Future model Gill Smith Catboat Pauline 1:8

Finished projects  A Bassett Lowke steamship Albertic 1:100  

Anything you can imagine is possible, when you put your mind to it.

Great work Ryland!

Rusty

"So Long For Now" B) 

Current Builds: HMS Winchelsea 1/48  Duchess of Kingston

Completed Build Logs: USF Confederacy , US Brig Syren , Triton Cross Section , Bomb Vessel Cross SectionCutter CheerfulQueen Anne Barge, Medway Longboat

Completed Build Gallery: Brig Syren , 1870 Mississippi Riverboat , 1949 Chris-Craft 19' Runabout

Thanks Michael, Rusty and Bob for your comments and for the "Likes".

Michael, I also enjoyed your visit to the SMSNJ Zoom meeting.  I have enjoyed the Zoom meetings of the various clubs that I attended over the last ten months.

Ryland

Very good question about serving.  Actually, lines are wormed, parceled and then served in full size practice.  In a small boat where the rigging is set up and taken down frequently I would imagine that the rigging lines are preset so that they can be raised quickly.  So, as previously suggested, the eye splices at the mast head are pre made and served.  I'm guessing that they would remain on the mast head even when it was taken down.  The deadeyes would remain turned into the shrouds, and since the lower deadeyes are hooked into the chain plates the lanyards would be rigged loosely.

In any case, a beautiful job Ryland.

Tom

Tom Ruggiero

Director Nautical Research Guild

Member Ship Model Society of New Jersey (Past President)

Thanks Tom for your comments.  It would be interesting to see the mast stepped on a full size boat and the rigging attached by the crew.  Lots of lines to be attached and tensioned.

Ryland

Yes, that would be very interesting.  I'm wondering if there are any period references out there.  I'm going to take a look in "Seamanship in the Age of Sail" by John Harland.

Tom Ruggiero

Director Nautical Research Guild

Member Ship Model Society of New Jersey (Past President)

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

It has been a while since posted, but thought that I would share a useful tool that I use for rigging.  It is a toenail nipper that I purchased from Walmart.  It is manufactured by Japonesque.  It has a flat bottom to it and it is a flush cutter.  It also has a sharp point that you can get really close to the line that is to be cut. 

P1070006.jpg.291756784eee30286f44df1d59a97e0b.jpg  P1070005.jpg.19320e58cdfd4cdf50acb7507319000d.jpg 

P1070004a.jpg.aae5b3fff81c909441c08a400ea2675b.jpg     Side View -  Notice the sharp point.

Here is the link to the one that I purchased: https://www.walmart.com/ip/Japonesque-Velvet-Touch-Pedicure-Essential-Duo/994640842?wmlspartner=wlpa&selectedSellerId=0&&adid=22222222227276419523&wl0=&wl1=g&wl2=c&wl3=332285858061&wl4=pla-636753874486&wl5=9008419&wl6=&wl7=&wl8=&wl9=pla&wl10=8175035&wl11=online&wl12=994640842&veh=sem&gclid=Cj0KCQjwvYSEBhDjARIsAJMn0li5sJXPBooROIN4T83y-d0T8uMp-ZL5P39GuFWCNafxp1fJ0GQOGgAaAm_sEALw_wcB&gclsrc=aw.ds

Here is a link to the manufacture's website: https://japonesque.com/products/implements/hand-foot-care/velvet-touch-pedicure-essential-duo/

I was able to purchase it in the store.  It was well worth the $13 I paid for it.

Ryland

Those clippers look very useful....for rigging and toenails! Thanks! 

Bob Garcia

"Measure once, cuss twice!"

Current Builds: 

Hms Brig-Sloop Flirt 1782 - Vanguard Models

Pen Duick - Artesania Latina 1:28

Completed: Medway Longboat 1742 - Syren Ship Model Co. 

Member of the Nautical Research Guild

3 hours ago, BobG said:

Those clippers look very useful....for rigging and toenails! Thanks! 

Then I'd say buy two! My guess is if one is used for it's intended purpose, it will soon be useless for our rigging needs. 😉

Rich

Member - Ship Model Society of New Jersey

Current Build:  Pride of Baltimore 2

Finished: Kate Cory

Finished for now (Not rigged):  Medway Longboat

5 minutes ago, Richvee said:

Then I'd say buy two! My guess is if one is used for it's intended purpose, it will soon be useless for our rigging needs. 😉

My wife asked to borrow them, but I would not let her.  I felt so bad that I purchased a pair for her.

Ryland

• 2 months later...

A little progress on my Medway Longboat.  I have finished the ironwork on the bowsprit, installed the forward thwart and knees and installed the bowsprit.  I used a miniature jewelers file for the support brace hole in the thwart and forward platform.  As Chuck said in the instructions, you only have one chance to get it right.  I was glad that I had not glued the platform and thwart to the hull as I was able to work with these off the model.  I took my time and was happy with the outcome.  I blackened the support bar and used some weathering powder on it.  I also pinned the bowsprit to the caprail where it would not be seen.

Next step is to make the traveler ring and a couple of hooks and then rig the jib halliard and outhaul.  Only two pages left in the instructions.

P1070025.thumb.jpg.5cda038e881412424be662b32673592c.jpg

P1070024.thumb.jpg.537c01b182740f7a8cb9429870606c53.jpg

Ryland

Really nice.  Gonna get it done before joint clubs?

looking forward to seeing it in person…maybe Philly modelcom?

Thanks Chuck and Grant for your comments and also for the "Likes".

Chuck, my goal is to have it finished for Modelcom in Philly in three weeks.  A little rigging, some rope coils and finishing the oars is all I have left to do plus the stand.

Ryland

Dam I just glued the 1st thwart into place. And of course the next thing I read it nope should not have done it. I should complete my rear seats this weekend.

Current Builds - 18th Century Longboat, MS Syren

Completed Builds - MS Bluenose, Panart BatteStation Cross section, Endevour J Boat Half Hull, Windego Half Hull, R/C T37 Breezing Along, R/C Victoria 32, SolCat 18

On the shelf - Panart San Felipe, Euromodel Ajax, C.Mamoli America, 

Its a sailor's Life for me! :10_1_10:

1 hour ago, fnkershner said:

Dam I just glued the 1st thwart into place. And of course the next thing I read it nope should not have done it. I should complete my rear seats this weekend.

Should not be a problem.  I am sure that most builds had the thwart glued to the hull before drilling the hole for the brace.  I sometimes do it differently than what the instructions call for.  Sometimes it works out for me, sometimes not.

Ryland

• 2 weeks later...

Work continues on my Medway Longboat.  I made the traveler ring and a couple of hooks and then rigged the jib halliard and outhaul.  This finished up the rigging.

P1070053.thumb.jpg.2f90f81e2ade82bb3a2a4001a919e6b0.jpg

The next step was to make up some rope coils for the belaying pins.  I also decided to wrap some line around the windlass.  Assembly of these was made easier by not having the thwarts installed at this time.  Once the coils are completed, the remaining thwarts will be glued to the risers.

P1070048.thumb.jpg.c2b1338a37609467521adfd57fee1693.jpg

P1070046.thumb.jpg.5807cb25ae37da252e8bf79051267ab8.jpg

Here is a picture of the model as it now looks:

P1070052.thumb.jpg.99bb6f755c1403bb7fcc2f989eb5a494.jpg

All that is left is to make three more rope coils, six oars, install the flag and the display stand and this model will be finished.

Ryland

She's a beauty Ryland!

Rusty

"So Long For Now" B) 

Current Builds: HMS Winchelsea 1/48  Duchess of Kingston

Completed Build Logs: USF Confederacy , US Brig Syren , Triton Cross Section , Bomb Vessel Cross SectionCutter CheerfulQueen Anne Barge, Medway Longboat

Completed Build Gallery: Brig Syren , 1870 Mississippi Riverboat , 1949 Chris-Craft 19' Runabout