Medway Longboat 1742 -1/2" scale - by Jeff

Its been a while since I've updated this log, a lot longer than I thought actually. I'm sorry to those that have been sitting on the edge of your seats waiting...lol. Anyway, I've been focusing most of my effort on the Constitution (which I will continue to do) trying to get all the hull details done so the longboat has been a little neglected. Thats one reason. The other reason is that I've completed 3 rows and realized as I started the 4th row that I need to cut a new plank, probably for both sides. Plank 7 to be specific. That makes me a bit nervous so I've been a little hesitant. After thinking for a while I think that I will trace the original plank and then correct the edge that makes contact with the previous row. I'll just need to work out how best to do that. Cutting it out is something else to think on. My first instinct is to try using the scroll saw but I'm concerned about the thin material. I may need to order some additional material just in case this takes more tries than I have excess material for, we'll see. Thanks for looking.

Here's a couple pics of the progress so far. As previously mentioned, I'm tree nailing as I plank. I haven't done any sanding yet though so the high spots are visible.

IMG_0125.thumb.JPG.0310ea55c4fa9368fd0e81519a85977b.JPG

IMG_0126.thumb.JPG.e3facc8f3c4f9dbabcfb224a5bd6be83.JPG

Jeff

In progress:
Medway Longboat 1742 - Syren Ship Model Company -1/2" scale

USS Constitution - Model Shipways - Scale 1:76

HMS Granado - CAF Model - 1:48

HMS Sphinx - Vanguard

11 minutes ago, JToma said:

The other reason is that I've completed 3 rows and realized as I started the 4th row that I need to cut a new plank, probably for both sides.

The planking so far looks terrific, Jeff. I had to make a couple of additional planks after I had messed up the original ones. I simply traced the pattern from the outline of the original laser cutout and then carefully cut it with a sharp #11 Xacto blade. I was careful to cut along the lines slowly in several passes without placed to much pressure downward on the knife. That helped me follow the lines without the blade sliding off as it crossed the grain in some places. It was tedious but it worked.

Good luck!

Bob

Bob Garcia

"Measure once, cuss twice!"

Current Builds: 

Hms Brig-Sloop Flirt 1782 - Vanguard Models

Pen Duick - Artesania Latina 1:28

Completed: Medway Longboat 1742 - Syren Ship Model Co. 

Member of the Nautical Research Guild

Looking really good Jeff.  When I had to make a new plank I did it on the scroll saw but I made sure to use a very fine blade. 

Rusty

"So Long For Now" B) 

Current Builds: HMS Winchelsea 1/48  Duchess of Kingston

Completed Build Logs: USF Confederacy , US Brig Syren , Triton Cross Section , Bomb Vessel Cross SectionCutter CheerfulQueen Anne Barge, Medway Longboat

Completed Build Gallery: Brig Syren , 1870 Mississippi Riverboat , 1949 Chris-Craft 19' Runabout

11 hours ago, Rustyj said:

Looking really good Jeff.  When I had to make a new plank I did it on the scroll saw but I made sure to use a very fine blade. 

Thanks Rusty. I'm going to try that first. If it all goes south, I'll try cutting it out by hand as Bob mentioned.

Jeff

In progress:

HMS Sphinx - Vanguard

• 9 months later...

So, now that I've reached a good stopping point on the elephant in the room (my conny build), its time to get back to work on the longboat. As previously mentioned, I already know that the 4th row of planking needs to be made from scratch. Because of that I decided to do the lining of the hull over again since there are some variances and to make sure I get the planks right. I like to use a different approach to lining of the hull using a proportional divider.

I know that there are 6 rows of planks remaining so I set the dividers to 6.

20201213_155521.thumb.jpg.61757bab6d9b6fe2e95d4b44229cbb78.jpg

Then I measure the remaining area to plank on each frame. I just use pinstriping tape and cut it to the correct length. Then I stick the tape to a flat surface, card stock in this case. Then just spread the dividers to cover the length.

20201213_155700.thumb.jpg.f9e1da038c970c366c11a6044b1a1d8e.jpg

The result at the other end of the divider is the required width of each plank for that particular frame.

20201213_155739.thumb.jpg.71917d0f9f1d9004a6c866baa30dcbfa.jpg

I then walk the divider down the frame from the edge of the previously installed plank leaving a small hole. The draw the line at each mark. The result is below. Most of the marks were pretty much spot on with the previous marks. As you can see at the bow, there were some variances in the markings compared to the first time I did it. One side done and on the next.

20201213_192224.thumb.jpg.f90cac6ebf01f47f903773347d8fb794.jpg

Jeff

In progress:

HMS Sphinx - Vanguard

Glad to see you back working on your Longboat.  I like your method of lining off the hull.  It looks much easier than using the paper tick strips.  I will file this away for future use.

Ryland

Member - Hampton Roads Ship Model Society

- Ship Model Society of New Jersey

- Nautical Research Guild

Current Build - Armed Virginia Sloop, 18th Century Longboat

Completed Build - Medway Longboat

• 4 months later...

Just a quick update (no pics). I've had to remake just about every plank from the 4th row on so its been taking a while. This is something new to me so I'm pretty much struggling my way through it. I've got a pile of scrapped plank attempts higher than Mount Everest. I've had to make each plank template at least 10 times before getting one template that I'm happy with, thats no joke. No two are alike. I'm using Chucks method and the results have been all over the place. I'll get it down eventually I guess. I think my current record for one plank is 8 tries. I've got 6 rows done so I'm getting there.

Jeff

In progress:

HMS Sphinx - Vanguard

• 2 months later...

Another update. I'm struggling with making the forward plank on the 7th row. I cannot get the shape right for the life of me and I've tried every known method. I think its because its such a long plank. I might have to break that plank down into two planks to make it work or I'll be stuck there forever 😬

Jeff

In progress:

HMS Sphinx - Vanguard

I know the feeling.  Sometimes, a plank becomes very difficult to install. Start at the rabbet and slowly work your way back.  You will have to try fit the plank, sand a little and refit and repeat this process as many times as needed to get the plank to fit.  Just keep working slowly at it and it will eventually fit.  I have even taken some wood off of the plank you are fitting it to, which I do not like doing, just to get the plank to fit.  Good luck on this.

Ryland

If you have to break that plank into more segments that will be fine.   The overall impression of the longboat will be pretty much the same.  Go ahead rather than get stuck.

Looking forward to seeing some pics.

• 3 weeks later...

Okay, finally finished the 7th row on the port side. As I previously mentioned, the best solution for me was to break the the forward plank into 2 parts. I made the foremost section of the bow plank from scratch since the kit provided plank wouldn't work at the bow due to differences in my planking. This piece runs from the bow to the 7th frame back from the bow. I was able to cut the kit plank 13 in half and use the aft portion to continue the row to the 14th frame from the bow as the planking there was right on. Plank 14 from the kit was a perfect fit for the aft most section of the row. Time to finish the nails for that row and then on to the 7th row on starboard side. I will most likely need to take a similar approach on that side also. Not as pretty a planking job as some I've seen but I'm happy with it so far. I haven't done any finish sanding yet so don't judge me 😬

20210815_184155.thumb.jpg.fbbd393f4c190c7bfc593ed920dfe7d4.jpg

Jeff

In progress:

HMS Sphinx - Vanguard

After a weeks long battle with card stock, tape, and myself, I've finally finished the 7th row. I recently discovered that planking a hull is a lot more challenging when precision is needed. I did a little preliminary sanding but not much. I don't want to take too much off since the planks are thin. I plan to just smooth out the edges and then hit it with some 800 and 100 grit to prepare for a few coats of poly. Only two more rows to go.

20210821_183348.thumb.jpg.2177abcee26d67bd0822657634c15c42.jpg

Jeff

In progress:

HMS Sphinx - Vanguard

• 2 months later...

It is a good feeling when you finish the planking.  Almost there.

Ryland

13 hours ago, Ryland Craze said:

It is a good feeling when you finish the planking.  Almost there.

Yes it is 🙂

Jeff

In progress:

HMS Sphinx - Vanguard