Medway Longboat 1742 -1/2" scale - by Jeff

I have heart wrenching news, for me anyways. I had a friend over and his young son got a hold of my model and while running with it, he fell and landed right on top of it. This the result. I'm going to have to start this whole thing over again as its not salvageable. 😧 😭

20190402_184452.jpg

Jeff

In progress:
Medway Longboat 1742 - Syren Ship Model Company -1/2" scale

USS Constitution - Model Shipways - Scale 1:76

HMS Granado - CAF Model - 1:48

HMS Sphinx - Vanguard

11 minutes ago, MEDDO said:

Heartbreaking.  Hope the little one is ok.  Maybe you can strip it down and salvage the keel at least. 

The little one was unscathed thankfully.

Jeff

In progress:

HMS Sphinx - Vanguard

I am sorry to see this happen, but glad the young boy is OK.  The good thing is the new model will be much better.

Ryland

Member - Hampton Roads Ship Model Society

- Ship Model Society of New Jersey

- Nautical Research Guild

Current Build - Armed Virginia Sloop, 18th Century Longboat

Completed Build - Medway Longboat

Not good news, Jeff.  I'm sorry to see that but luckily the child is ok.  

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Ouch! So sorry to hear that Jeff. Not so sure the child would have been unscathed in my house!!!!

Seriously though, glad that no harm came to the little darling.

That’s really sad to see. Sorry Jeff. 

Rusty

"So Long For Now" B) 

Current Builds: HMS Winchelsea 1/48  Duchess of Kingston

Completed Build Logs: USF Confederacy , US Brig Syren , Triton Cross Section , Bomb Vessel Cross SectionCutter CheerfulQueen Anne Barge, Medway Longboat

Completed Build Gallery: Brig Syren , 1870 Mississippi Riverboat , 1949 Chris-Craft 19' Runabout

Thanks guys. You make a good point Ryland. I guess every cloud has a silver lining, This will be an opportunity for me to improve on my previous work. So for now, I'll put myself back in line to purchase another hull kit and in the meantime, I have some cannons that need rigged on my Constitution build so that will give me something to do while I wait.

Jeff

In progress:

HMS Sphinx - Vanguard

Jeff....you should just figure out what sheets you actually need since you have almost everything else.   Then send me a PM.   When I start making the next batch I will make just the sheets you need to start over like the frames and keel parts...😁

6 hours ago, Chuck said:

Jeff....you should just figure out what sheets you actually need since you have almost everything else.   Then send me a PM.   When I start making the next batch I will make just the sheets you need to start over like the frames and keel parts...😁

Thanks Chuck. I'll do that. Much appreciated

Jeff

In progress:

HMS Sphinx - Vanguard

• 1 month later...

Okay, after a short break and acquiring some replacement parts, I'm back in the saddle on this build. This is the my replacement keel after assembly and a coat of wipe-on poly. The poly brings out the color and the grain of the wood nicely. I feel like my seams are a little tighter this time. Now its time to build some frames.

post.jpg

Jeff

In progress:

HMS Sphinx - Vanguard

Nice restart Jeff.   Before you know it you will be right back where you were.  Just keep it away from small children this time!!!  2nd time is a charm.

Chuck

• 2 weeks later...

Hi all. I have assembled all the frames and dry fit everything together. I tried something a little different this time. I clamped the straight edge across the top timber instead of trying to hold it in place with one hand while trying to align the floors to the reference lines. Turns out its much easier that way. I would just loosen the clamp a little as needed to adjust the position of the straight edge when needed to get the two pieces aligned as close to perfect as possible.

One of the problems I ran into the first time around was with the slot for the number 12 frame. I broke the little tip (circled in red in the picture) off twice when doing my test fit of the keel to the frames. This time I just left the 12th frame off and I'll place it when I do the final fit.

Next, I'll reinforce the frames with packing tape and some wood strips.

My work area is now a no-small children zone 🙂 There will be no more accidents.

20190610_193316.thumb.jpg.718daa5054b2e3ecd03260082b1a631d.jpg

20190610_193120.thumb.jpg.9a168a56d586d30db9558c0c9b25d3aa.jpg

Jeff

In progress:

HMS Sphinx - Vanguard

2 hours ago, dvm27 said:

Nice recovery, Jeff! Just curious - did the boy's parents sue you for allowing him to run with a dangerous, non-secured toy in your house?

Haha 🤣 They wouldn't dare since my face looked like this 😠 the rest of the night

Jeff

In progress:

HMS Sphinx - Vanguard

As good as your first version looked, this one is even better.  It really looks clean and well crafted.

• 4 weeks later...

All glued up and ready for fairing. As before, I waited until the keel was set into position before gluing the transom in place, Its easier to square it with the 12th frame. I was a little over zealous with the fairing last time I think, so I'll need to pull back on the reins a little to keep from over sanding. Particularly where the transom and the frames join the keel..

IMG_0112.thumb.JPG.aabc2cf1017e9b30e8e02eaa738cb0a2.JPG

IMG_0113.thumb.JPG.a7820d28e37bef45712a52362bd79321.JPG

Jeff

In progress:

HMS Sphinx - Vanguard

• 1 month later...

Its been a little while since I posted an update so here we go. Progress has been a little slow but I finished fairing the hull and started to plank. I'm doing my best to keep the seams between the planks as tight as possible. I also decided to do the simulated copper nails as I plank instead of waiting until the end. Its not perfect but I think it looks ok.

20190811_182432.thumb.jpg.d85c9c1837586f287ea5cffd9e10a201.jpg

20190812_182501.thumb.jpg.5626da654a1b49c7bc32bd572a1a8e3b.jpg

Jeff

In progress:

HMS Sphinx - Vanguard

You're off to a good start Jeff!

Rusty

"So Long For Now" B) 

Current Builds: HMS Winchelsea 1/48  Duchess of Kingston

Completed Build Logs: USF Confederacy , US Brig Syren , Triton Cross Section , Bomb Vessel Cross SectionCutter CheerfulQueen Anne Barge, Medway Longboat

Completed Build Gallery: Brig Syren , 1870 Mississippi Riverboat , 1949 Chris-Craft 19' Runabout

a gentle breeze swept the dark clouds away...

Super recovery Jeff !

Nils

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed

- Steamship Ergenstrasse ex Laker Corsicana 1918- scale 1:87 scratchbuild

"Zeesboot"  heritage wooden fishing small craft around 1870, POB  clinker scratch build scale 1:24

Pilot Schooner # 5 ELBE  ex Wanderbird, scale 1:50 scratchbuild

Mississippi Sterwheelsteamer built as christmapresent for grandson modified kit build

Chebec "Eagle of Algier" 1753--scale 1:48-POB-(scratchbuild) 

"SS Kaiser Wilhelm der Grosse" four stacker passenger liner of 1897, blue ribbond awarded, 1:144 (scratchbuild)
"HMS Pegasus" , 16 gun sloop, Swan-Class 1776-1777 scale 1:64 from Amati plan 

-"Pamir" 4-mast barque, P-liner, 1:96  (scratchbuild)

-"Gorch Fock 2" German Navy cadet training 3-mast barque, 1:95 (scratchbuild) 

"Heinrich Kayser" heritage Merchant Steamship, 1:96 (scratchbuild)  original was my grandfathers ship

-"Bohuslän" , heritage ,live Swedish museum passenger steamer (Billings kit), 1:50 

"Lorbas", river tug, steam driven for RC, fictive design (scratchbuild), scale appr. 1:32

under restoration / restoration finished 

"Hjejlen" steam paddlewheeler, 1861, Billings Boats rare old kit, scale 1:50

• 5 months later...

That's some nice planking, Jeff. I'm reading a lot of the builds here hoping to get some tips about doing the rigging. Have you made some more progress on your build? 

Bob

Bob Garcia

"Measure once, cuss twice!"

Current Builds: 

Hms Brig-Sloop Flirt 1782 - Vanguard Models

Pen Duick - Artesania Latina 1:28

Completed: Medway Longboat 1742 - Syren Ship Model Co. 

Member of the Nautical Research Guild