USCGC Duane by RCboater Bill - FINISHED - Revell - 1:305 - PLASTIC - ca. 1980

Thanks, I really enjoyed it!  The great thing about these old kits is any improvements makes them better- you really can’t make them worse!  I enjoyed the scratchbuilding aspect of it a lot.

In progress:  

BlueJacket Lobster Smack 1/8 scale (RC)

1/96 Revenue Cutter Harriet Lane RC scratchbuild

completed:  

1/144 scale USS Guadalcanal CVE-60 RC scratchbuild

Revell 1/305 USCG 327’ Secretary class cutter

Dumas 1/16 scale USCG Motor Lifeboat 36500 (RC)

Lindberg 1/95 USCG Lightship LV-112 “Nantucket” RC conversion

• 4 months later...

It's so great to see a Coast Guard Cutter built here on MSW and you certainly did a beautiful job on the Duane.

I was in the Coast Guard from January of 1966 to January of 1970. I spent a year and a half aboard the USCGC Storis stationed out of Kodiak, Alaska, in 1966-67. We were involved in patrols and SAR in the Bering Sea and the Gulf of Alaska. Our patrols took us as far south as Juneau to as far north as above the Arctic Circle and west along the chain of the Aleutian Islands. After Alaska I was stationed at the Captain of the Port Los Angeles-Long Beach Station for 2 1/2 years as a coxswain and engineman on the CG 40 foot Utility Boat 40414 until my discharge in January, 1970. 

I noticed that you have built a Dumas model of the CG Motor Lifeboat. I'm not familiar with Dumas models but I saw that made a model of the CG 40 foot Utility Boat at one time. It's out of production now but can occasionally be found on eBay and I even think Dumas may even have a few left over. I'm thinking of trying to get one to build and was wondering what your opinion is of the Dumas models since you've built one? Did you find your model historically accurate? How did you the materials and the instructions also? 

Thanks and congratulations on your wonderful model of the Duane.

Bob Garcia

"Measure once, cuss twice!"

Current Builds: 

Hms Brig-Sloop Flirt 1782 - Vanguard Models

Pen Duick - Artesania Latina 1:28

Completed: Medway Longboat 1742 - Syren Ship Model Co. 

Member of the Nautical Research Guild

John,

Glad you like the Duane!   I built the model for my old friend and classmate who reported aboard Duane in Portland in ‘81 as an Ensign.  That’s why I picked Duane over one of her sisters.   

My next 327’ project will be a 1/96 scale (40”) RC model, based on the Scale Shipyard fiberglass hull.   I haven’t decided which ship, yet. One option is Duane in her 1940 Greenland  Patrol fit, with the embarked floatplane on the fantail.  Another option is Taney at Pearl Harbor, or one of the class in WW2 Atlantic convoy fit.....  with 5 decades of service for the class, it is hard to pick one!

—————-

Bob, 

I’ve never seen a Dumas 40 footer kit in person, but I do have the 44 from the same era.  Those old kits are products of their time, with heavier plywood parts that need some cleanup.  The boats are reasonably accurate in shape, but some of the old cast metal detail parts are a bit plain.   These days you can find a lot of better fittings online.   

The 36’ MLB is a nice kit. The ply frames are laser cut and fit well, and the instructions are superb.  The kit does simplify a few things to make it easier for novices to build, but those parts can be improved if you wish.     

If you look on the RCgroups.com scale boats forum, you’ll find detailed build logs for the Dumas kits, including my build of the 36500.   Be sure to look up “CG Bob”’s build of the 36 footer- he is the one that caught the couple of dimensional  errors in the cockpit area and showed how to fix them.  You’ll also find builds of the 44 and even the old 40 footer kit...

Thanks to both of you guys for the nice comments!  It is nice to see fellow Coasties on the site!

-Bill

Edited by Rcboater Bill

In progress:  

completed:  

• 3 years later...

Great to hear the work you are doing. I served on the USCGC Duane from May 1974 to May 1976...and my Dad served on it back when it was first commissioned in the 1930's...It all brings back some great memories of time served and great times with my shipmates...

Also, I have been trying to find a USCGC Duane cap with no luck. Do you know hiw I could locate one???

• 1 month later...
On 10/31/2023 at 5:02 AM, Edwin S. said:

Great to hear the work you are doing. I served on the USCGC Duane from May 1974 to May 1976...and my Dad served on it back when it was first commissioned in the 1930's...It all brings back some great memories of time served and great times with my shipmates...

Also, I have been trying to find a USCGC Duane cap with no luck. Do you know hiw I could locate one???

Thanks!

There are sites online that sell modern hats with whatever ship name you may desire-- but finding an original Duane hat may be a challenge.  Maybe try one fo the USCG veterans groups on Facebook?

In progress:  

completed:  

• The title was changed to USCGC Duane by RCboater Bill - FINISHED - Revell - 1:305 - PLASTIC - ca. 1980