Mayflower by Tigersteve - Model Shipways

Thanks for all the photos.   I have my own build of Mayflower going, somewhat behind yours, so you are helping me quite a bit.       I've taken some photos of Mayflower II over the past 3 years during its overhaul at Mystic Seaport.   I doubt that they'll help you - mostly they show framing and planking - but I've got some closeups of the main top and masthead before the mast was stepped along with other odds and ends of things.   I can send them to you or post them in the appropriate place on MSW if there's any interest.

Bob

Bob

current build                               past builds

Mayflower - Model Shipways - 1:76.8                              USS Peary (DD 226) - Tehnoart Ltd - 1:96 (gallery)

upcoming builds                                                                     USS DeHaven (DD 727) - Tehnoart Ltd - 1:192

Statenjacht - Kolderstok - 1:50                                            USS Robert E. Peary (FF 1073) - 1:250

Fluytschip - Kolderstok - 1:72   

• 2 weeks later...

Thank you for the kind words and the likes. I just applied one coat of gray water based primer using one of my wife’s old foundation makeup brushes. Very smooth bristles (works great for painting). I applied straight from the jar.

This will allow me to see any areas that need filler and sanding. After further filling and sanding, I will reapply the primer and repeat until a completely smooth surface is achieved. After this, deck planking can begin. 
Steve

B454BBC6-7407-4465-B2E1-91CABB25B6C6.jpeg

Steve,

Following up on our recent pm, remember that your not looking to have a completely gray surface after sanding. Use the filler as an color indicator to fill the low spots only. After that you could spray or brush a blanket coat of gray which will make it easier when painting tallow white.

Mike

Current build - Sloop Speedwell 1752 (POF)

Completed builds - 18 Century Longboat (POB) , HM Cutter Cheerful  1806 (POB), HMS Winchelsea 1764 (POB)

Member: Ship Model Society of New Jersey

Yes- I believe we are on the same page. My next step is filler and sanding then primer to see where the low spots are. I’m not trying to get a solid coat of primer. Thank you again, Mike. You are always a great mentor here. 
Steve

• 3 weeks later...

A few progress photos. Getting closer to a completely smooth surface. Several sessions of wood filling and sanding. Checked the surface twice with a coat of primer. What’s been helpful is flipping the hull upright in the light to reveal surface inconsistencies. 

If I could go back I would have spent more time during hull planking to create tight plank joints. My haphazard (it’ll fill and sand fine) approach has created a lot of extra work. 
Steve

46840090-FC0C-4255-941D-15A9F24367A2.jpeg

CB585D3D-713A-4486-A996-18DDE838E3B1.jpeg

10B33FAC-9829-4DAE-B3C5-53DAE0D65226.jpeg

Edited by Tigersteve

• 2 weeks later...

Just about finished coating the hull with flat white. Many watered down coats were applied with a foam brush. After every few coats the hull was sanded lightly with 400 grit sandpaper. 
Steve

1DA076B1-5B80-4BA3-98E3-1BF8A8057107.jpeg

048C10EC-0FFC-4D8B-8CCA-FD231A7F0AF9.jpeg

I finished coating the hull in white. After removing the tape, I sanded the unpainted strakes and applied another coat of Wipe-On-Poly. Building a cradle to hold the model is next. Chuck applied a thin wash of brown paint to his hull and quickly wiped it off to dull the brightness of the white. I will do the same after the keel is in place. 
Steve

228520A1-6F22-4CC0-BA04-1C3A429B569A.jpeg

Edited by Tigersteve

Steve, Its looking good! I was always partial to this kit. It really builds up nicely. I have one kicking around, but it has the usual warps and twists. I even ordered some “good” plywood to replace things but it came warped too.  I have to see if I can straighten it out. It got me thinking of the old days when plywood was plywood. I took a picture of a planking clamp I made years ago from 5/8” birch ply from Ace hardware. It has twelve layers to it!! Of course I had to walk 10 miles in three feet of snow in bare feet to get it. Or maybe that was going to school, I forget.

Maybe I can talk Chuck into making a 3/16 or 1/4 inch version of it. 

Kurt

48FBC097-CF34-4A7A-AA90-93D4A1FB6CF5.jpeg

908FB4D7-2861-47BC-8F7A-3CF4EDE06592.jpeg

Member: Ship Model Society of New Jersey

• 3 weeks later...

Made a cradle out of some packing material I had saved from a 3D printer at work. This should be sufficient to hold the hull while I work on the deck planking. 
Steve

6FC07C9F-50F7-40F1-BD1E-B66E9D951097.jpeg

7B362EC3-0BA8-43D2-A4EB-D426254CDFEA.jpeg

• 2 weeks later...

Forecastle and poop deck are completed. I laid the planks first then created the hatches off model. Hatches were sanded from 1/16” to 1/32” after installation. Hatches were placed according to plan sheet two, but I think they are a hair too close according to a late look at the other plan sheets. Too much risk of damage to remove the hatch at this point. I guess I’ll be the only one who notices this on the model aside from you trained modelers. I sanded the rest of the unpainted model to knock off the shine of the wipe-on-poly. Have to make sure to do a better application of poly next time. 
Steve

B1927A80-4CBA-425B-B01D-371C53AC8E14.jpeg

8AB21CF0-B21D-4468-B12C-FB03B5C7E117.jpeg

Edited by Tigersteve

• 2 weeks later...

Steve, Have you noticed that the planking around the forecastle deck on the Model Shipways kit is different from the Mayflower II and Baker's plans?   In the kit there is a planked strip that starts about 1/8"  above the aft end of the deck, then 1/8" gap, and then 3/16" of railing and planking above.     So the space is roughly in thirds with the middle third open.    On Mayflower II, however,  the space is divided in half and the lower half is open.   I'll attach a photo of the ship as it was in 2017 and which is consistent with Baker's plans from 1957.   For a real vessel, the Baker plan would drain much better.   I'm not sure which way I'm going to go on this myself but I wish I had seen it earlier.  

P1020886.jpeg

Bob

current build                               past builds

Mayflower - Model Shipways - 1:76.8                              USS Peary (DD 226) - Tehnoart Ltd - 1:96 (gallery)

upcoming builds                                                                     USS DeHaven (DD 727) - Tehnoart Ltd - 1:192

Statenjacht - Kolderstok - 1:50                                            USS Robert E. Peary (FF 1073) - 1:250

Fluytschip - Kolderstok - 1:72   

I will clarify by including a photo of Chuck’s plan sheet. He explains his rationale for the design.  I still have all the photos you sent me of the replica. I am still considering adding the scuppers if I can do it cleanly. 
Steve

31311401-ED1E-4E01-8652-4843C70952B0.jpeg

Indeed, the planking looks great.

Nice work Tigersteve

Regards, Patrick

Finished :  Soleil Royal Heller 1/100   Wasa Billing Boats   Bounty Revell 1/110 plastic (semi scratch)   Pelican / Golden Hind  1/45 scratch

Current build :  Mary Rose 1/50 scratch

Gallery Revell Bounty  Pelican/Golden hind 1/45 scratch

To do Prins Willem Corel, Le Tonnant Corel, Yacht d'Oro Corel, Thermopylae Sergal 

Shore leave,  non ship models build logs :  

ADGZ M35 funkwagen 1/72    Einhets Pkw. Kfz.2 and 4 1/72   Autoblinda AB40 1/72   122mm A-19 & 152mm ML-20 & 12.8cm Pak.44 {K8 1/2} 1/72   10.5cm Howitzer 16 on Mark. VI(e)  Centurion Mk.1 conversion   M29 Weasel 1/72     SAM6 1/72    T26 Finland  T26 TN 1/72  Autoprotetto S37 1/72     Opel Blitz buses 1/72  Boxer and MAN trucks 1/72   Hetzer38(t) Starr 1/72    

Si vis pacem, para bellum

Thank you everyone for the support. I really like working with the Cherry. I think it might be easier to work with than the Maple I used on the English Pinnace. I’m considering this wood for the next project. (Scratch built Confederacy)
Steve

Edited by Tigersteve

• 2 months later...

Very nice work. Can't wait until I start my kit, after finish the USS Conny, not in it's 7th year! Maybe 6 months more and than I can start.

John Gilchrist
Yukon, OK

Current build: MS Emma C Berry

Completed: MS Fair American, MS Armed Virginia, MS Pride of Baltimore, Mississippi River Steamboat, Peterboro Canoe, MS USS Constitution, Mayflower, Billings African Queen

• 1 year later...

TigerSteve,

This post comes at an opportune time as I try to navigate my, apparently, old version of a Billing Boat Mayflower. When I searched for other build logs I didn’t see yours until I Googled ModelShipway plans… Go figure. Anyway, I will now be following eagerly. So far, it is looking great.

Dave

LCdr Dave

Current Build: Mayflower - Billing Boats

Yippee!!!!

Jonathan

Current Build: Zulu - Lady Isabella

Completed Builds: Lowell GB Dory, Norwegian Pram, Lowell GB Dory Redux, Bounty Launch, Nisha, Lady Eleanor - Fifie
On the Shelf: Ranger, Erycina, HMS Alert, etc, etc.
Hibernating: Gunboat Philadelphia, Bluenose
In a Time Vault Due to Open in 2025: Syren

• 7 months later...

Finally back to work on this project. Bulkhead construction in progress. You’ll see my new plank bending jig via Chuck’s design. It has been working well with the travel iron instead of a hair dryer. 
Steve

8D72F4F7-9244-4E88-B025-0000CDE864B2.jpeg

• 2 weeks later...

Bulkheads are almost done. I just need to add the door handles, which have been a struggle. I purchased 3/64” cherry grating strips from Model Expo. You can see them on the Forward Cubbridge bulkhead.

It’a interesting how much is not seen with the naked eye, but all shows on the macro photos. 
Steve

FABEE4F7-073B-4758-AAB5-6108081493D2.jpeg

E83AE736-CEF3-4480-850D-00A70D16CF7F.jpeg

Edited by Tigersteve

On 1/29/2023 at 3:08 PM, Tigersteve said:

You’ll see my new plank bending jig via Chuck’s design.

I like to use this method as well in a number of situations.  I have used an iron and hair dryer but find a hot air gun from the hardware store to be easier than a hair dryer or an iron.  It gets hot enough to burn wood at the highest control setting so I go to just under that setting and it works really well and quickly.   In the end, whatever works is a good way to go and it is nice when we have choices.

Allan

PLEASE take 30 SECONDS and sign up for the epic Nelson/Trafalgar project if you would like to see it made into a TV series.   Click on http://trafalgar.tv   There is no cost other than the 30 seconds of your time.  THANK YOU