Stug 40 by Dan Vadas - FINISHED - GPM - CARD - WW2 German Tank -

Dan Vadas

On 12/5/2018 at 10:21 AM, cog said:

do you have a video???

No.

On 12/5/2018 at 9:51 PM, Richmond said:

Those armour models are so illogical. They require you to create the detail and then ask you to lock it away from sight.

As you will see from the next lot of pics. I've now glued on all the upper panels, and most interior detail has vanished. Here are the bits you CAN still see (just as well I took lots of pics earlier :D) :

IMG_5534.JPG

IMG_5535.JPG

IMG_5536.JPG

IMG_5537.JPG

IMG_5538.JPG

IMG_5539.JPG

IMG_5540.JPG

IMG_5541.JPG

IMG_5542.JPG

On 12/5/2018 at 9:51 PM, Richmond said:

Look forward to seeing your hinge solution.

And just for you Richmond :

IMG_5543.JPG

Danny

Cheers, Danny

________________________________________________________________________________
Current Build :    Forced Retirement from Modelling due to Health Issues

Build Logs :   Norfolk Sloop  HMS Vulture - (TFFM)  HMS Vulture Cross-section  18 foot Cutter    Concord Stagecoach   18th Century Longboat in a BOTTLE 

CARD Model Build Logs :   Mosel   Sydney Opera House (Schreiber-Bogen)   WWII Mk. IX Spitfire (Halinski)  Rolls Royce Merlin Engine  Cape Byron Lighthouse (HMV)       Stug 40 (Halinski)    Yamaha MT-01   Yamaha YA-1  HMS Hood (Halinski)  Bismarck (GPM)  IJN Amatsukaze 1940 Destroyer (Halinski)   HMVS Cerberus   Mi24D Hind (Halinski)  Bulgar Steam Locomotive - (ModelikTanker and Beer Wagons (Modelik)  Flat Bed Wagon (Modelik)  Peterbuilt Semi Trailer  Fender Guitar  

Restorations for Others :  King of the Mississippi  HMS Victory
Gallery : Norfolk Sloop,   HMAT Supply,   HMS Bounty,   HMS Victory,   Charles W. Morgan,   18' Cutter for HMS Vulture,   HMS Vulture,  HMS Vulture Cross-section,             18th Century Longboat in a Bottle 

Other Previous Builds : Le Mirage, Norske Love, King of the Mississippi

Some info,

On 12/9/2018 at 8:14 PM, ccoyle said:

Pretty tight quarters -- especially if the crew were sharing it with, say, an 85 mm AT round.  😳

The StuG IIIf was the first  model to receive the long 7.5cm L/43 cannon. Later models had the L/48.

In combination with the low silouette of the vehicle, this was very effective against enemy tanks.
Somewhere I once read that by the summer of 1943 alone the StuG's were responsible for about 30,000 destroyed Russian tanks.
Best needed if you know that in 1942 the average tank production of the German Panzer IV 100 was pieces per month.
The Russians then already built 1000 T34 per month..

IMG_20181211_072514.thumb.jpg.c9792467d0023418fa177b4c62d0c7b0.jpg

Interior photos of a StuG IIIg the next model, comparable to the f model. 

IMG_20181211_072346.thumb.jpg.3481bdb267e38e857c748d2bd26c0838.jpgIMG_20181211_072406.thumb.jpg.9876b77fd526d987f864fe3f39f3b4f5.jpg

Ps,

Great model !!

Edited by Backer

Regards, Patrick

Finished :  Soleil Royal Heller 1/100   Wasa Billing Boats   Bounty Revell 1/110 plastic (semi scratch)   Pelican / Golden Hind  1/45 scratch

Current build :  Mary Rose 1/50 scratch

Gallery Revell Bounty  Pelican/Golden hind 1/45 scratch

To do Prins Willem Corel, Le Tonnant Corel, Yacht d'Oro Corel, Thermopylae Sergal 

Shore leave,  non ship models build logs :  

ADGZ M35 funkwagen 1/72    Einhets Pkw. Kfz.2 and 4 1/72   Autoblinda AB40 1/72   122mm A-19 & 152mm ML-20 & 12.8cm Pak.44 {K8 1/2} 1/72   10.5cm Howitzer 16 on Mark. VI(e)  Centurion Mk.1 conversion   M29 Weasel 1/72     SAM6 1/72    T26 Finland  T26 TN 1/72  Autoprotetto S37 1/72     Opel Blitz buses 1/72  Boxer and MAN trucks 1/72   Hetzer38(t) Starr 1/72    

Si vis pacem, para bellum

Awesome build Sir!!

I'm looking forward to how you are going to tackle the Tracks.

Articulated?

Cheers....HOF.

Completed Builds:

A/L Bluenose II

A/L Mare Nostrum

Sergal/Mantua Cutty Sark

A/L Pen Duick

A/L Fulgaro

Amati/Partworks 1/200 Bismarck

A/L Sanson

Thanks for the info Patrick.

7 hours ago, hof00 said:

I'm looking forward to how you are going to tackle the Tracks. Articulated? 

I'm not sure about that yet. The kit gives you three options, one of them being articulated tracks (that explains the 5 pages of tracks ;) :D). I'll certainly give it a try.

Danny

Cheers, Danny

________________________________________________________________________________

Build Logs :   Norfolk Sloop  HMS Vulture - (TFFM)  HMS Vulture Cross-section  18 foot Cutter    Concord Stagecoach   18th Century Longboat in a BOTTLE 

CARD Model Build Logs :   Mosel   Sydney Opera House (Schreiber-Bogen)   WWII Mk. IX Spitfire (Halinski)  Rolls Royce Merlin Engine  Cape Byron Lighthouse (HMV)       Stug 40 (Halinski)    Yamaha MT-01   Yamaha YA-1  HMS Hood (Halinski)  Bismarck (GPM)  IJN Amatsukaze 1940 Destroyer (Halinski)   HMVS Cerberus   Mi24D Hind (Halinski)  Bulgar Steam Locomotive - (ModelikTanker and Beer Wagons (Modelik)  Flat Bed Wagon (Modelik)  Peterbuilt Semi Trailer  Fender Guitar  

Gallery : Norfolk Sloop,   HMAT Supply,   HMS Bounty,   HMS Victory,   Charles W. Morgan,   18' Cutter for HMS Vulture,   HMS Vulture,  HMS Vulture Cross-section,             18th Century Longboat in a Bottle 

35 minutes ago, Dan Vadas said:

that explains the 5 pages of tracks

Just reading that makes me feel a bit woozy -- and I'm not even building the model!

Chris Coyle
Greer, South Carolina

When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
- Tuco

Current builds: Brigantine Phoenix, Hawker Hurricane

The front hatches only have one hinge each, so it's larger than the others with 2 and 3 sections. This of course makes it a bit harder to construct :

IMG_5544.JPG

IMG_5545.JPG

IMG_5546.JPG

IMG_5547.JPG

The engine cover hatches are a more complex arrangement, with ventilation for engine cooling :

IMG_5548.JPG

IMG_5549.JPG

There are also some small details, like these "fairleads" (for want of a better word) that support the tow cable :

IMG_5550.JPG

With all the hatches finished it's time to fit the track guards :

IMG_5551.JPG

IMG_5553.JPG

IMG_5554.JPG

Also the air filters :

IMG_5552.JPG

Danny

Cheers, Danny

Good evening Sir,

A thought that came to mind, for perhaps future Card Models of this complexity/detail, would be a "Cutaway?"

Having never created any model in Card, I would not know how feasible this would be.

Not casting aspersions on what you have created thus far, (Its awesome!!), just that the interior detail is largely lost once everything is put together.

Thoughts?

Following your build with interest.

Cheers....HOF.

Completed Builds:

A/L Bluenose II

A/L Mare Nostrum

Sergal/Mantua Cutty Sark

A/L Pen Duick

A/L Fulgaro

A/L Sanson

9 hours ago, hof00 said:

A thought that came to mind, for perhaps future Card Models of this complexity/detail, would be a "Cutaway?"

Having never created any model in Card, I would not know how feasible this would be.

Not casting aspersions on what you have created thus far, (Its awesome!!), just that the interior detail is largely lost once everything is put together.

Thoughts?

Thanks Mark and G'day Hof. I definitely had a cutaway in mind before starting the model, but the more I got into it the more I realized it would be virtually impossible with this particular one. I could have made nearly the whole top, from the front of the turret to the back of the engine cover, in one piece that lifts off but it would have created too many alignment and stability issues. I did the best compromise I could by making the hatches moveable.

Doing cutaways on card models wouldn't be any more difficult than in any other media, just not on this particular one. Anyhow, isn't actually BUILDING the model most of the fun? I don't look at them much after they are finished ;) :D.

Danny

Cheers, Danny

On ‎11‎/‎19‎/‎2018 at 4:22 AM, Dan Vadas said:

It's 1/25 scale. I wouldn't doubt that there would be a lot of PE etc out there. This particular kit doesn't seem to have Laser-cut Treads, at least not from GPM as far as I could tell.

I DID however, just now find THIS laser-cut set for the frame and wheels. Too late now, I'm already most of the way through laminating the paper templates for same :). Besides, I'd have had to wait about a month to get it, plus pay nearly 30 Euros for a 5.50 Euro kit once the postage was added :(.

Danny

AHEM....

https://sklep.gpm.pl/akcesoria/elementy-laserowe/gasienice/pasy/1/25/ostketten-stug-40-/-pz-kpfw-iii-j-sig-33-gasienice-grawerowane-laserowo

Edited by maaaslo

Pavol stands for Paul, Pablo, Paolo etc. Please do not try to pronounce it, just call me Pav...

one thing about "working" latches and other parts...

you are asking for a trouble. although they look impressive to untrained eye, they are more often flimsy and weak. if you soak it in CA glue, might do the trick, but then there is discolouration of paper... 

BUT, its your model. if you want to paint it pink and draw unicorns on it, who am I to tell you otherwise.

BTW, very, very good job.

maybe an inspiration for you: http://www.papirove-modely.cz/velkynahled/81410 

Edited by maaaslo

Pavol stands for Paul, Pablo, Paolo etc. Please do not try to pronounce it, just call me Pav...

1 hour ago, Dan Vadas said:

Thanks Mark and G'day Hof. I definitely had a cutaway in mind before starting the model, but the more I got into it the more I realized it would be virtually impossible with this particular one. I could have made nearly the whole top, from the front of the turret to the back of the engine cover, in one piece that lifts off but it would have created too many alignment and stability issues. I did the best compromise I could by making the hatches moveable.

Doing cutaways on card models wouldn't be any more difficult than in any other media, just not on this particular one. Anyhow, isn't actually BUILDING the model most of the fun? I don't look at them much after they are finished ;) :D.

Danny

regarding cutaways:

Halinski has some pictures from prototype builds on their page. look for T34 and Sherman firefly... detail is unbelievable. I have both at home and sometimes just look through the books, to admire the quality...

Pavol, I went one better and found THIS guy's build of the same kit. I've had to use the pics a few times to work out how to build some parts, and where they went :).

2 hours ago, maaaslo said:

one thing about "working" latches and other parts...

you are asking for a trouble. although they look impressive to untrained eye, they are more often flimsy and weak. if you soak it in CA glue, might do the trick

I did that :). No discoloration is visible to the eye and they are VERY strong.

Thanks for the link to the tracks. I didn't find that one, but that's not unusual for GPM's site which is rather difficult to navigate sometimes :(.

And thanks too for the site with that beautiful model - an inspiration indeed :).

Danny

Cheers, Danny

Continuing - the shock absorbers :

IMG_5555.JPG

Next up is the reason I haven't updated lately - the 12 (plus 2 spares) bottom dual wheels. These have taken me 8 days to make, the equivalent of tying ratlines on a ship. I'm really glad to see the end of them at last :D. Here are four of the wheels in the various jigs I made to assist assembly :

IMG_5556.JPG

I used two spacers and a piece of brass tubing to fit the inner wheel to the axle :

IMG_5557.JPG

A finished wheel fitted to the suspension arm :

IMG_5562.JPG

IMG_5560.JPG

IMG_5561.JPG

IMG_5559.JPG

Danny

Cheers, Danny

Five days later and I've made all the sprockets and rollers. To cut the teeth in the drive sprockets I used my punch set. There are 12 of these, a central one that contains the spokes and two outer ones to get the thickness correct :

IMG_5564.JPG

IMG_5565.JPG

IMG_5566.JPG

IMG_5570.JPG

IMG_5571.JPG

The idler sprockets :

IMG_5568.JPG

IMG_5569.JPG

And the top rollers :

IMG_5572.JPG

IMG_5573.JPG

IMG_5567.JPG

Danny

Cheers, Danny

Those look very challenging! I hope one can see them when the model is completed.  Merry Christmas down under, Dan!

Be sure to sign up for an epic Nelson/Trafalgar project if you would like to see it made into a TV series  http://trafalgar.tv

So glad I'm sitting at this end of the model, and I can leave it up to you ...  yet another impressive feat ...

Have a Merry (and not to sweaty) Xmas Dan

Edited by cog

Carl

"Desperate affairs require desperate measures." Lord Nelson
Search and you might find a log ...

Awesome Sir!!

I'm looking forward to, (Maybe), articulated Tracks!!

Merry Christmas and Happy Guy Fawkes!!

Cheers and Regards,

Harry. (HOF)

Completed Builds:

A/L Bluenose II

A/L Mare Nostrum

Sergal/Mantua Cutty Sark

A/L Pen Duick

A/L Fulgaro

A/L Sanson

21 hours ago, druxey said:

Those look very challenging! I hope one can see them when the model is completed.  Merry Christmas down under, Dan!

Thanks David, and all the others who replied :).

The sprockets are very visible, this part (the tension adjuster) not so much :

IMG_5574.JPG

I don't think I've got it quite right - the instructions were very vague about it (as usual :().

Danny

Cheers, Danny

Time to start on the tracks. Here are all the ones needed for them. They come as an inner and an outer :

IMG_5576.JPG

As you can imagine there is a bit of cutting to do :

IMG_5575.JPG

IMG_5577.JPG

I didn't align the sprockets quite right - the teeth of the inner sprockets don't quite align with the outer sprocket. This one isn't too bad, and I'll probably get away with it, but the other is worse so I'm going to have to cut it apart and fit the sprockets properly :

IMG_5581.JPG

IMG_5582.JPG

I've overlapped the inner and outer tracks to avoid have a "hard" joint - two sets are needed for each side :

IMG_5583.JPG

Just when you think the amount of cutting needed can't get much worse - here are the "teeth" of the tracks. One is needed for each track segment :

IMG_5578.JPG

IMG_5579.JPG

IMG_5580.JPG

There are also just as many locating lugs, which fit to the inner track and run between the double rollers.

The kit gives three options for the tracks - a simplified belt without any of the "teeth" or lugs, the option I chose which is a continuous belt with all the details, or the individually segmented tracks.

After looking at doing the tracks as individual "articulated" ones I decided against it. For one thing there are absolutely NO diagrams as to how they go together, although I did eventually work it out. There isn't much point, as the finished articles look identical anyway, and there is a lot more cutting and folding involved. In fact the only instructions regarding the tracks in the kit is one short paragraph listing which tracks go with each option - and they got the whole lot WRONG anyway 🤬.

Danny

Cheers, Danny

You're a braver man than I Danny.  The tracks just look daunting enough and then having minimal instructions to boot.   Makes my head hurt.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

You can use the individual tracks as spare tracks. These were often attached to the front or the side. These served also as extra armor.
If you want to do this. let me know. Then I post some pictures.

Sorry you had some problems with the teeth on your sprockets

Regards, Patrick

Finished :  Soleil Royal Heller 1/100   Wasa Billing Boats   Bounty Revell 1/110 plastic (semi scratch)   Pelican / Golden Hind  1/45 scratch

Current build :  Mary Rose 1/50 scratch

Gallery Revell Bounty  Pelican/Golden hind 1/45 scratch

To do Prins Willem Corel, Le Tonnant Corel, Yacht d'Oro Corel, Thermopylae Sergal 

Shore leave,  non ship models build logs :  

ADGZ M35 funkwagen 1/72    Einhets Pkw. Kfz.2 and 4 1/72   Autoblinda AB40 1/72   122mm A-19 & 152mm ML-20 & 12.8cm Pak.44 {K8 1/2} 1/72   10.5cm Howitzer 16 on Mark. VI(e)  Centurion Mk.1 conversion   M29 Weasel 1/72     SAM6 1/72    T26 Finland  T26 TN 1/72  Autoprotetto S37 1/72     Opel Blitz buses 1/72  Boxer and MAN trucks 1/72   Hetzer38(t) Starr 1/72    

Si vis pacem, para bellum