HMS VICTORY by Jerry - FINISHED - Caldercraft - Scale 1:72 - 1805 version

have a good break - see you in couple of weeks

Its all part of Kev's journey, bit like going to the dark side, but with the lights on

All the best

Kevin :omg:

SAY NO TO PIRACY. SUPPORT ORIGINAL IDEAS AND MANUFACTURERS.
KEEP IT REAL!

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

On the build table

HMS Indefatigable 1794 by Kevin - Vanguard Models - 1:64 - Feb 2023 

HMHS Britannic by Kevin 

SD 14  - Marcle Models - 1/70 - March 2022 -  Bluebell - Flower Class - Revel - 1/72   U552 German U Boat - Trumpeter - 1/48  Amerigo Vespucci     1/84 - Panart-   HMS Enterprise  -CAF -  1/48     

Finished     

St-Nectan-Mountfleet-models-steam-trawler-1/32 - Completed June 2020

HMS Victory - Caldercraft/Jotika - 1/72 - Finished   Dorade renamed Dora by Kevin - Amati - 1/20 - Completed March 2021 

Stage Coach 1848 - Artesania Latina - 1/10 -Finished Lady Eleanor by Kevin - FINISHED - Vanguard Models - 1/64 - Fifie fishing boat

forgot to mention the hull looks great

Its all part of Kev's journey, bit like going to the dark side, but with the lights on

All the best

Kevin :omg:

SAY NO TO PIRACY. SUPPORT ORIGINAL IDEAS AND MANUFACTURERS.
KEEP IT REAL!

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

On the build table

HMS Indefatigable 1794 by Kevin - Vanguard Models - 1:64 - Feb 2023 

HMHS Britannic by Kevin 

SD 14  - Marcle Models - 1/70 - March 2022 -  Bluebell - Flower Class - Revel - 1/72   U552 German U Boat - Trumpeter - 1/48  Amerigo Vespucci     1/84 - Panart-   HMS Enterprise  -CAF -  1/48     

Finished     

St-Nectan-Mountfleet-models-steam-trawler-1/32 - Completed June 2020

HMS Victory - Caldercraft/Jotika - 1/72 - Finished   Dorade renamed Dora by Kevin - Amati - 1/20 - Completed March 2021 

Stage Coach 1848 - Artesania Latina - 1/10 -Finished Lady Eleanor by Kevin - FINISHED - Vanguard Models - 1/64 - Fifie fishing boat

Good evening, David..Thanks for the good wishes. I'm looking forward to dropping out for a fortnight. Talk to you soon.

Jerry

Have a wonderful cruise. Thanks for the posts of the hull. Looks great! Hope you get a chance to see a bit of Vancouver. If you get the opportunity to get near Telegraph Cove (mid-northern part of Vancouver Island - near Port McNeill) it is an awesome place to see killer whales.  Does the Diamond Princess take the inland passageway or go out on the western side of Vancouver Island? Asking too many questions... Have a great time! 

Rob in Calgary

Robipod...I appreciate your post and the info about Vancouver.  We were there just to board the boat so we didn't have time for any sightseeing.  However, I have  been there before and vaguely remember touring most of the island.  We are taking the inside passage and am presently in Juneau.  We were in Ketchikan yesterday and  both days have been exceptional weatherwise.  Warm and sunny...I have been to Juneau about 10 times and today is the first no rain,  bright sunny day I have ever had.  Keep in touch....Jerry

Edited by Jerry

To all my MSW friends...I miss talking to you all but have to admit that the break from HMS Victory is welcome.  Hope to talk to you all soon but in the meanwhile here's a pic of where I am right now...Juneau, Alaska.  OOPS...Looks like the pic is too large to upload.  I'll try again another time as the cost of being on the internet is UNLAWFUL....Later then... Jerry

Edited by Jerry

• 2 weeks later...

I'm back from Holiday and happy to be working on Victory once more. We had a great time having the wonderful fortune of beautiful weather in Alaska. I've been to Juneau, Alaska about q dozen times and for the first time, I saw the sun shining there last week.

The pics attaches show where my progress is aas of today. I guess I'm about to begin the "upper deck fixings" so this will be a new phase, an exciting one for me.

I hope all my MSW friends are fine and doing well.

Jerry

6/26 http://modelshihttp://modelshipworld.com/uploads/monthly_06_2013/post-545-0-65731300-1372272738_thumb.jpgpworld.com/uploads/monthly_06_2013/post-545-0-33359300-1372272721_thumb.jpg

post-545-0-33359300-1372272721_thumb.jpg

post-545-0-65731300-1372272738_thumb.jpg

Edited by Jerry

Hello Tom and thanks for your comment. I appreciate your looking in on my log. Take care,

Jerry

Good evening, Lawrence..and thanks for your visit to my log.  Alaska was nice but having lived there once I'm happy to be back in SW Florida.  The weather was great but I know how thw winters there can be,

I expect to continue my progress which means there'll be more pics coming soon.  Please stay tuned and take care.

Jerry

Hello Nick..

Thanks for your comments on Victory. It would be nice to live where you do if one was building the model of HMS Victory. That will be one of my goals...going to Portsmouth to see the real thing. As you may know, I built the model of Cutty Sark and best of all I have pictures of me standing on the deck of the real ship in Greenwich. In any event, I'm now starting the deck pieces for the upper gun deck so away I go. Have a great day and thanks for reading my log. Jerry

Hello Jerry

So you are off and running again, and fitting the cannon balls into the garlands. I loaded up all the garlands before I fitted the garlands to the deck. I also put 2 coats of varnish on after glueing cannon ball onto the garlands which really secures them. Prob telling you the road you know. Keep enjoying it. DAVID

Good afternoon David,

Actually I was wondering if I should varnish the garlands and cannon balls. Thanks for the information and I will do so. I'm fussing with the 4 large cleats, filing flashing off of them, priming and painting them black. If all goes well, I'll have that finished this afternoon and then I'll begin constructing the cannon assemblies. Your ship looks beautiful; you did one heck of a beautiful job on it and I can only hope I can do as well as you. Have a very good evening and regards,

Jerry

At this point in my build I'm ready to begin construction of the upper deck cannons. Although I realize this will be a repetitive operation, I'm truly looking forward to this phase as I have looked forward to reach this point as a milestone of progress. Upon reading all the beautiful logs posted on this site I truly remember thinking how happy I'll be if I ever each this point as the others have before me.

I had trouble when I first tried to glue the 2mm cannon balls into the various garlands but I came upon a method that made it simple. It did take time, however, since each little ball had to be treated carefully. I held a ball in a reverse tweezer and after having dropped a bit of glue into a garland hole I hovered over the garland hole with the tweezers, aimed for the hole and released the ball which most of the time dropped and rolled right into place. Thank goodness for the magnifying lamp. When an odd ball (no pun intended) missed the hole, I nudged it into place with the point of the tweezers. Good friend David (Shipyard Sid) suggested a couple of coats of varnish over the balls and garlands, I took his advice and this helped secure these little devils into place.

The cleats are purposely not parallel to the deck as it is shown this way in the plans. I assume the rigging lines will come to these cleats at the angle the plans call for the cleats to be secured. Some pics follow:

post-545-0-36181300-1372706396_thumb.jpg

post-545-0-58610000-1372706415_thumb.jpg

post-545-0-85631400-1372706431_thumb.jpg

Edited by Jerry

Hi Lawrence...

Thanks for your comments. I wrote to you on your log. Isn't the stern supposed to be blue?

Jerry

Edited by Jerry

Coming along very nicely, Jerry.  I believe that your assumption on the cleats is accurate - most of the lines would affix at some angle so this would align the cleat with the intended line.  I have seen the same on several tall ship plans.

Wayne

Neither should a ship rely on one small anchor, nor should life rest on a single hope.
Epictetus

Hey Wayne..

Thanks for checking in. I started making the carriages for the cannons and that turns out to be no simple task. (as if anything is with this build.) If you get a chance please let me know where in Arkansas you are located. I lived in the Fayetteville area for a long time.

Jerry

Well today is a big day in America. July 4th... It's our birthday.  Happy Birthday America! 

It's also a day that I tried something and it worked pretty well.  One of the issues I have had with this Caldercraft kit is that where laser cuts are made on the parts sheets residue sticks to the pieces after they are cut out.  This laser sawdust packs very tightly on the dropped out part and takes a lot of time to scrape off using a craft knife.  It's hard enough to handle these small parts when they are "clean" so the time needed to clean them off discourages progress.  I decided to try something...I have a small air compressor with which I was able to blow out most of the laser debris from around the parts and this accomplished two things:  I was able to remove the part quicker from the sheet and spent a lot less time cleaning the part off.  Just something I thought some of my friends would like to know.

Jerry

Edited by Jerry

Great idea on a way to clean the parts, Jerry - will need to give that a try!

For the next 19 days 6 hours and 34 minutes, I live in Little Rock.  Following about 5 days of driving, the whole clan will be taking up residence in Eastport, Maine.  Going back home after 15 years away, including about 3 in Broward County before moving to Arkansas.

Wayne

Neither should a ship rely on one small anchor, nor should life rest on a single hope.
Epictetus

Best of luck in Maine, Wayne.  (rhymes)...  It's a pretty but cold in the winter state.  I used to hang out in Bar Harbor for a few years.  Drive safely.

Jerry

Hi Jerry,

Good idea on the air compressor for cleaning away the compacted laser saw dust.  For those without an air compressor, here's what I use.  It works pretty well and is also great for getting sanding dust out of hard to reach places.  You can get it at Office Depot, Walmart, etc.  If you buy it in a 3-pack it works out at around $4 a can.

Cheers,

Patrick

post-470-0-23103200-1372955432.jpg

Thanks, Patrick..  Tugging my air compressor around, even though it's a small one isn't much fun.  I think I'll make a stop at Home depot (abouy 9 minutes from my house) and give the 3M stuff a try.  Have a nice holiday.

Jerry

Good evening, Lawrence.

Thanks for your post and explanation.  I guess one should build the way one prefers.  I don't mean to be offensive but I personally think the blue looks sharp and that it breaks up the monotomy of all the black paint on the ship and metal parts.  From what I have seen of other builds I thimk the blue contrasts beautifully with the etched brass trimming.  As they say,"To each his own."  Take care,

Jerry

Edited by Jerry

Lawrence..

You certainly have not disappointed me.  I just voiced my opinion about color choice.  As I wrote in your build log, I think your Victory looks great and I envy your progress.  I'm just anxious, I guess, to get a bit further ahead.  Best regards,

Jerry

Hello everyone.. Not much to report but I thought I would check in with an interim pic of my progress.  I'm still at it and have just about reached the half way point on the 30 upper gun deck carriages.  Hopefully by the end of this week I'll have them finished and can begin the necessary rigging for those cannons that will be seen.  Have a great week everyone.  regards,
Jerry

July 8, 2013

post-545-0-95808800-1373292284_thumb.jpg

Edited by Jerry

Greetings Jerry

You are doing well, but why have the wheels fell off?? Just counted my rigged ones, and I have rigged ten. Anyway keep enjoying it. I have no shipyard at the minute, I have been thrown out for a couple of days, until the new paintwork dries. I have orders to keep it tidy, but if I put things were they belong I won't be able to find a thing. Keep posting loads of photos. DAVID

Dave, I guess I used the wrong type of glue on the wheels.  Spit didn't seem to work.  Next time I'll try CA.  Yep, it's a good idea to clean your work area once every couple of years.  This time it looks like you'll be lost with a new paint job on the walls.  More pics to come as soon as I make a more progress.

Jerry