La Chaloupe Armée / 42ft Armed Longboat of 1834 by tkay11 – scale 1:36 - plans by M. Delacroix - FINISHED

4 minutes ago, tkay11 said:

... I'm not as ham-fisted as I often feel!

I wish I was as clumsy as you. ;D

For no good reason I did not keep up with your log. Now, I have set aside some time this evening to read it from the start and have no doubt it will be time well spent.

Well done Tony.

Bruce

🌻

STAY SAFE

A model shipwright and an amateur historian are heads & tails of the same coin

current builds:

HMS Berwick 1775, 1/192 scratchbuild; a Slade 74 in the Navy Board style

Mediator sloop, 1/48 - an 18th century transport scratchbuild 

French longboat - CAF - 1/48, on hold

Hi Tony, I just wanted to say that the models you have produced are excellent. I am very impressed with your thought processes and problem solving. I have only just joined this group and am awaiting my plans for the Triton section, which I am really looking forward to starting. 

Cheers,

Lynn

That's very nice of you, Lynn. Thanks a lot. The Triton cross section is an excellent way to start working from plans alone, especially as there are so many great builds of it available for you to study and think which way you would like to approach it. It was a very good learning process for me.

I look forward to your builds.

Tony

• 4 months later...

Tony,

After a four year gap in model making I have been browsing your build logs again. My comment here is a bit late in the day but I must say I am delighted by the quality of your work which is an inspiration to me and others. 

Never mind your self-deprecating comments; your descriptions of the techniques you have adopted and improved are an education and the results shown in your photos provide ample proof that they are successful in the right hands. I look forward to following your next build. 

George

George Bandurek

Near the coast in Sussex, England

Current build: HMS Whiting (Caldercraft Ballahoo with enhancements)

Previous builds: Cutter Sherbourne (Caldercraft) and many non-ship models

That's really nice of you, George, especially as you are one of those on whom I relied as a guide in the Sherbourne build. You were incredibly helpful. So I'm glad I am doing the right kind of thing! Your Ballahoo is turning into an even more informative and interesting build, especially as you make so much reference to original plans.

At the moment I'm having a lot of fun experimenting with the Allège d'Arles, using the Ancre plans, at 1:100. However it is more of an exercise in learning some techniques (the hull is in card, the rest wood) for modelling at a smaller scale, for using only plans for a guide as the monograph provides no real assistance (unlike other Ancre monographs), and for painting. So as the finish is rather rough I might just post a review of the monograph a little later using the build as a set of examples of problems I've encountered and how I've tried to overcome them as well as the several oopsies that I've made.

The only other builds I know of are Javier Baron's wonderful 1:200 miniature and the two builds of a rather different Arles allège using the card kit from WAK, so a review of the monograph together with such a discussion might be more interesting than a blow by blow log. Once I've achieved that, I might be ready for a proper build!

Tony