Kyushu J7W1 Shinden Interceptor/Fighter by CDW - FINISHED - Zoukei-Mura - 1:32

CDW

very nice cockpit.........well done!   were the belts supplied in the kit?

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

wow!........looks really good  :) 

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400

Your work continues to amaze me Craig. Cars, ships or planes, it seems you have mastered them all. All that is left out at this point is Sci Fi. got anything planed in that venue?

Lou

Build logs: Colonial sloop Providence 1/48th scale kit bashed from AL Independence

Currant builds:

Constructo Brigantine Sentinel (Union) (On hold)

Minicraft 1/350 Titanic (For the Admiral)

1/350 Heavy Cruiser USS Houston (Resin)

Currant research/scratchbuild:

Schooner USS Lanikai/Hermes

Non ship build log:

1/35th UH-1H Huey

After the basic airframe, attention gets focused on the fuselage skins. Unfortunately, I quickly began to realize there were fit problems. At first, I wondered if it was something I had done or failed to do in earlier stages of construction, but couldn't find anything. Then I began to look for obvious issues such as flash or other irregularities with the plastic molding and could find none. Last, I started searching for build reviews of the kit online. There is not much out there, but with the few I found, other modelers ran into the same issues I am facing so it is recognized as an engineering failure with the kit. it's likely the prime reason one does not find many finished kits of the model finished on the net.

The major fit issue I am seeing at this time is the fit of the upper gun cover to the lower fuselage. Other modelers found the exact same issue. A very small amount of plastic needs to be added to the front gun cover to close the gap between upper and lower parts. It's not a deal breaker as far as building the model is concerned, but it is disappointing considering the cost of the kit. It should have been better engineered.

It is often said but bears repeating, if you want the best engineered, best fitting plastic kit, buy Tamiya. Everything else is second place or lower. This model has some nice features, but it is going to be a pin in the rear to get it done right.

Publication1.jpg

DSCN1961.JPG

DSCN1962.JPG

DSCN1963.JPG

DSCN1964.JPG

DSCN1965.JPG

DSCN1966.JPG

DSCN1967.JPG

DSCN1968.JPG

I'm not liking the post though I am liking your perseverance is seeking an answer to the problem.  When the engine cover goes on, does it fit right or same issue?  

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

On 1/20/2019 at 12:11 AM, CDW said:

This just about wraps up engine painting and construction. Maybe a few touch-ups here and there, and I'm rather certain the exhaust system will need a tweak to get them to fit the exits properly once the engine is placed inside the fuselage airframe.

DSCN1946edit.jpg

DSCN1947edit.jpg

DSCN1948edit.jpg

DSCN1949edit.jpg

DSCN1950edit.jpg

Great detail on that engine  - superb job.

OC.

Current builds  

28mm  Battle of Waterloo   attack on La Haye Saint   Diorama.

1/700  HMS Hood   Flyhawk   with  PE, Resin  and Wood Decking.

Completed works.

Dragon 1/700 HMS Edinburgh type 42 batch 3 Destroyer plastic.

HMS Warspite Academy 1/350 plastic kit and wem parts.

HMS Trafalgar Airfix 1/350 submarine  plastic.

Black Pearl  1/72  Revell   with  pirate crew.

Revell  1/48  Mosquito  B IV

Eduard  1/48  Spitfire IX

ICM    1/48   Seafire Mk.III   Special Conversion

1/48  Kinetic  Sea Harrier  FRS1

On 1/24/2019 at 2:49 PM, CDW said:

Beginning the airframe, cockpit tub, and gun bays.

Paints used: Tamiya aluminum, gloss black, gloss clear, flat clear. Mr Color IJN Green, Metal Iron, black wash

DSCN1955.JPG

DSCN1956.JPG

DSCN1957.JPG

DSCN1958.JPG

DSCN1959.JPG

That internal detail you have done is amazing.

OC.

Current builds  

Completed works.

7 minutes ago, mtaylor said:

I'm not liking the post though I am liking your perseverance is seeking an answer to the problem.  When the engine cover goes on, does it fit right or same issue?  

I don't know yet about the engine cover fit, but in one build review I read, the author only found the fit of the forward gun cover to be a major issue. 

It is my intention to cut/remove certain panels to allow some of the internal detail to be seen. Most of it gets completely covered up unless the builder desires to customize/make some provision to allow it to be seen.

There were only two prototypes of this airplane that were actually built before the war ended. Photos of maintenance panels removed are hard (maybe impossible?) to come by. Of the two prototypes, neither had guns installed, so this part of the kit is speculative and perhaps based upon design drawings. 

These photos give a better idea of the gap I'm trying to fix. I glued on some .030" x .060" styrene strip stock, and once it's thoroughly dry, will shape it down to fit as close as possible to hide that ugly gap. Will have to re establish some rivet/fastener detail that will need to be replaced after it's all done.DSCN1970.thumb.JPG.46cd78287e711148b3eb5ff9aa077074.JPG

DSCN1969.JPG

DSCN1971.JPG

DSCN1972.JPG

Edited by CDW

This reminds me of the Mpc mcLaren MK 8 kit. Beautiful super detailed kit with EVERYTHING inside the car available for viewing. Only problem was that if you wanted to build it with the body fully installed................ Good luck! It was as if they wanted you do just leave the body panels off to view the full detailed interior!

Is it possible that it is just the after bulkhead is too large and needs to be reduced to allow the gun cowling to sit lower? Great work.

Lou

Build logs: Colonial sloop Providence 1/48th scale kit bashed from AL Independence

Currant builds:

Constructo Brigantine Sentinel (Union) (On hold)

Minicraft 1/350 Titanic (For the Admiral)

1/350 Heavy Cruiser USS Houston (Resin)

Currant research/scratchbuild:

Schooner USS Lanikai/Hermes

Non ship build log:

1/35th UH-1H Huey

4 hours ago, lmagna said:

This reminds me of the Mpc mcLaren MK 8 kit. Beautiful super detailed kit with EVERYTHING inside the car available for viewing. Only problem was that if you wanted to build it with the body fully installed................ Good luck! It was as if they wanted you do just leave the body panels off to view the full detailed interior!

Is it possible that it is just the after bulkhead is too large and needs to be reduced to allow the gun cowling to sit lower? Great work.

It reminds me of the old Renwal kits that had all the detail inside but the outer panels never fit. But that was long ago and not quite as unforgivable as today where there are so many more tools for the designer in the way of 3D CAD. 

Yes, that bulkhead was obviously what I first suspected as the problem, but if it were shortened/reshaped, the panels behind it would not fit. As it is, the panels aft of the pieces seen in the pictures fit just fine. Like a good carpenter, I am measuring multiple times and taking a cautious approach to what I cut.

Edited by CDW

Getting there  - slowly slowly   etc.......

OC.

Current builds  

Completed works.

what I usually run into are those pesky injection pin marks.  some are raised enough to give a sloppy fit.   look'in good though...your fix is coming along nicely  :) 

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

3 hours ago, popeye the sailor said:

what I usually run into are those pesky injection pin marks.  some are raised enough to give a sloppy fit.   look'in good though...your fix is coming along nicely  :) 

I'm pluggin' away on this thing, little by little. There are so many fuselage and wing skin panels that go on this model and each one has to be test fitted and sometimes filed/sanded a bit for them to fit properly. It's a shame because much of the difficulty comes when the internal structures get covered up by the skins. The fit is so tight and fiddly. No fear, it's getting there.

From other comments here and yes, I did the  Mpc mcLaren MK 8 kit like Lou.  Maybe it is unintentionally intentional to encourage certain panels being left off.   Just strikes me as weird that the way everything is fitting like a glove but that one piece.  

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Hello

As for metal finishes I can highly recommend AK Extreme metal colors. Very easy to spray and perfect result every time.

Jörgen

Current:  Sherbourne - Caldercraft 1/64

Vasa - DeAgostini 1/65
Finished: Endeavour - Americas Cup J class 1934 - Amati 1/80

Other:    Airplanes and Tanks

6 hours ago, mtaylor said:

Maybe it is unintentionally intentional to encourage certain panels being left off.   Just strikes me as weird that the way everything is fitting like a glove but that one piece.  

Certain panels left off may have something to do with it.

If you look at the picture at the top of the Zoukei Mura webpage found in the following link, you can see the same gap in the part as I encountered it. They just left their's as-is and to be totally honest, it doesn't look too bad like that once the whole model is painted, detailed, and finished. But the gap is obvious.

http://www.zoukeimura.co.jp/en/products/sws01_shinden_cl.html

This gold is done with AK Extreme metal. The best is that the color is very resistans when dry. No problem with masking etc. You will love them.CgsaGqYNed0N7kwSCkSiLjWvHS5iByPGbbluFvXB

Jörgen

Vasa - DeAgostini 1/65

This gold is done with AK Extreme metal. The best is that the color is very resistans when dry. No problem with masking etc. You will love them.

6 hours ago, CDW said:

Beautiful gold finish on those parts...I really like it.

Did you use their base black as a primer before applying the gold finish?

No, i used thinned tamiya X1 black. Check the link in my signature to DeAgostini Vasa. Its in there (at the bottom since this is when I repainted the parts, I was not happy with my first trial). Also when you are doing the metal finishes, use different shades on a lot of panels. The effect is unbelievable.

Edited by Passer

Jörgen

Vasa - DeAgostini 1/65

It took today's allotment of time to paint and fit the exhaust collectors to the engine panels, then fit the engine panels and rear engine cowling to the fuselage. Getting all this to fit is tricky to say the least. 

To a moderator (if one is reads this)....in the past few days, I am having lots of issues trying to upload photos to MSW threads. Keep getting a "upload failed" 200 error message. Is this a problem on my side or is it a server side issue? Never had it happen before now. 

DSCN1986.jpg

DSCN1987.jpg

DSCN1988.jpg

DSCN1989.jpg

look'in really really good!  :)   the engine looks awesome.......must be a real complex bugger  ;) 

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock: