Kyushu J7W1 Shinden Interceptor/Fighter by CDW - FINISHED - Zoukei-Mura - 1:32

CDW

I see you already posted it to the topic in Questions/Problem area already.   This isn't an issue for us mods but the admins are looking into it.  It seems to be one problem that comes and goes.

The engine area is filling out nicely.  Looks super.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

8 hours ago, popeye the sailor said:

look'in really really good!  :)   the engine looks awesome.......must be a real complex bugger  ;) 

Over time, I have built many, many, model aircraft. This one is a totally different animal. To be honest, it would take a 2nd build to really feel I had done my best with it because it's too difficult to see what's ahead as you build the 1st one. There are lots of things I would do different in a 2nd attempt.

6 hours ago, Richmond said:

Fantastic paintwork

Thank you Richmond. I appreciate that.

Getting ever so close to the overall painting stage now. Need to add the vertical stabilizers, the canards, flaps and ailerons, first before beginning the paint work. The panels you see removed over the engine and gun bays will stay removed for display purposes. I hope to get paint on the model over the coming weekend but that may be too ambitious. Will just have to wait and see how it goes.

This "upload failed" fiasco continues. Some of my pictures uploaded, some did not. Apparently I'm not the only one having this problem but it may be regional to some extent. 

DSCN1990.jpg

DSCN1994.jpg

DSCN1995.jpg

DSCN1997.jpg

DSCN1998.jpg

DSCN1999.jpg

wow.........now this brings her more into the light!   looks great with a full skin  ;)   can't get over how much detail is in that power plant 

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

1 minute ago, popeye the sailor said:

wow.........now this brings her more into the light!   looks great with a full skin  ;)   can't get over how much detail is in that power plant 

Thanks Denis. Can you imagine how hard-hitting four 37mm auto-cannons would be? These things were designed to annihilate B-29's. 

Superb workmanship  - what a smart looking piece of kit.

OC.

Current builds  

28mm  Battle of Waterloo   attack on La Haye Saint   Diorama.

1/700  HMS Hood   Flyhawk   with  PE, Resin  and Wood Decking.

Completed works.

Dragon 1/700 HMS Edinburgh type 42 batch 3 Destroyer plastic.

HMS Warspite Academy 1/350 plastic kit and wem parts.

HMS Trafalgar Airfix 1/350 submarine  plastic.

Black Pearl  1/72  Revell   with  pirate crew.

Revell  1/48  Mosquito  B IV

Eduard  1/48  Spitfire IX

ICM    1/48   Seafire Mk.III   Special Conversion

1/48  Kinetic  Sea Harrier  FRS1

5 minutes ago, CDW said:

Thanks OC. 

I'm just trying to keep pace with all the fine work you're doing on the Pearl. 

Thank you for saying that,    she is quite an achievement for me as I have never done anything quite as involved at that scale, my warspite build took some work due to the small scale and pe,  but the pearl being larger is more in your face - and screams out any errors,   (or is that me being fussy)

OC.

Current builds  

28mm  Battle of Waterloo   attack on La Haye Saint   Diorama.

1/700  HMS Hood   Flyhawk   with  PE, Resin  and Wood Decking.

Completed works.

Dragon 1/700 HMS Edinburgh type 42 batch 3 Destroyer plastic.

HMS Warspite Academy 1/350 plastic kit and wem parts.

HMS Trafalgar Airfix 1/350 submarine  plastic.

Black Pearl  1/72  Revell   with  pirate crew.

Revell  1/48  Mosquito  B IV

Eduard  1/48  Spitfire IX

ICM    1/48   Seafire Mk.III   Special Conversion

1/48  Kinetic  Sea Harrier  FRS1

Hi,

Mr. CDW,

Haven't Googled at this stage, (Too lazy perhaps but saw similar on Nat Geo.....)

(Did this thng actually fly??)

Cheers....HOF.

Edited by hof00

Completed Builds:

A/L Bluenose II

A/L Mare Nostrum

Sergal/Mantua Cutty Sark

A/L Pen Duick

A/L Fulgaro

Amati/Partworks 1/200 Bismarck

A/L Sanson

It looks like at about 1:33 they may have had a little prop clearance problems on either taking off or landing. But it is pretty clear it flew. 

I kind of fine it odd that the canards have no accommodations for movement or control surfaces. It would seem that if they were the aircraft would be much more maneuverable.

Are you going to build a diorama? Or just display it with covers off?

Lou

Build logs: Colonial sloop Providence 1/48th scale kit bashed from AL Independence

Currant builds:

Constructo Brigantine Sentinel (Union) (On hold)

Minicraft 1/350 Titanic (For the Admiral)

1/350 Heavy Cruiser USS Houston (Resin)

Currant research/scratchbuild:

Schooner USS Lanikai/Hermes

Non ship build log:

1/35th UH-1H Huey

14 minutes ago, lmagna said:

It looks like at about 1:33 they may have had a little prop clearance problems on either taking off or landing. But it is pretty clear it flew. 

I kind of fine it odd that the canards have no accommodations for movement or control surfaces. It would seem that if they were the aircraft would be much more maneuverable.

Yes, there was an unsuccessful flight attempt (1st) where the prop struck the ground on takeoff/aircraft rotation. There are small caster wheels attached to the lower portion of the vertical stabilizers. Perhaps these were an addition after the first unsuccessful takeoff. As you may know, this airplane was designed for navy/carrier use. The videos depict the aircraft taking off from what appears to be a grass runway. Perhaps the casters dug into the ground allowing the prop to strike the earth, then again, maybe there were no casters on the first flight attempt. In either event, a takeoff from a carrier deck would be much different than a takeoff from a grass runway and would likely yield different results.

As for the canards, I do think they were functional as the model clearly shows movable flaps.

I have no plans for a diorama for this model. When I enter it in the coming show in April, will offer it for sale. Maybe on a 2nd build, I will consider doing a diorama along with other changes/things I will do differently. Learned a lot putting this first one together. Not certain the kit is still in production though. 

14 hours ago, lmagna said:

I'm thinking that the nose was too high and lowered the tail.  Perhaps should have been the other way around.  Even then, pulling back on the stick a bit too early might create problems.

Mark

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Thanks Craig

I stand corrected. It is clear in the close ups that the canards did have movable control surfaces. They even have a small trim tab close to the fuselage and several balancers. 

I did think that the plane was intended as a ground based high speed interceptor not a carrier based aircraft though.

It appears that the military version you are building is out of stock or as you say possibly out of production, but the "Ah My Goddess" version is still available. It appears that it is the same kit with additional parts to build the fictitious version. All the additional PE and other parts are also available.

Amazon is listing the kit at $130, but Volks USA has one left at $95

I read some of the "Concept" PDF on the company site and it made some interesting reading. Looking forward to continuing with your fantastic build.

Edited by lmagna

Lou

Build logs: Colonial sloop Providence 1/48th scale kit bashed from AL Independence

Currant builds:

Non ship build log:

1/35th UH-1H Huey

3 hours ago, lmagna said:

It appears that the military version you are building is out of stock or as you say possibly out of production, but the "Ah My Goddess" version is still available. It appears that it is the same kit with additional parts to build the fictitious version. All the additional PE and other parts are also available.

Amazon is listing the kit at $130, but Volks USA has one left at $95

One of my favorite online hobby shops is spruebrothers.com

I went to the site yesterday with the intention of ordering another copy of the Shinden. But then I saw where Zoukei Mura will release for sale the Ki-45 Nick on February 6. I ended up buying the Nick instead. 🙂

zkmk29615.jpg

Edited by CDW

The canard concept was one the Wright Brothers used on their early flyers, along with wing warping to turn. The canard is a forward mounted tail plane with elevator surfaces. NASA experimented with an additional flying surface on some fighters to allow quicker tighter turns. And the Swedish Viggen has canards in front of it's delta wing.

image.png.bc97135383e74fcc54f5e43a2b683977.png

Ken

Started: MS Bounty Longboat,

On Hold:  Heinkel USS Choctaw paper

Down the road: Shipyard HMC Alert 1/96 paper, Mamoli Constitution Cross, MS USN Picket Boat #1

Scratchbuild: Echo Cross Section

Member Nautical Research Guild

First paint coat before post shading, touch ups, and detailing, top and bottom.

Frog masking tape (disclaimer: no frogs were harmed during the masking and painting of this model) 😵 

Top: Mr. Color Acrysion #36 IJN Green (40%) + Mr Color Leveling Thinner (60%)

Bottom: Mr. Color Acrysion #61 IJN Gray (40%) + Mr Color Leveling Thinner (60%)

Post shading (to be done later): Mr. Color Acrysion #60 IJA Green

Detailing: Flory Models Washes (plan on using brown for the time being)

(one photo of top looks ultra light because of camera flash too bright/white)

DSCN2008.jpg

DSCN2005.jpg

DSCN2006.jpg

DSCN2009.jpg

DSCN2010.jpg

9 hours ago, CDW said:

But then I saw where Zoukei Mura

Looks like another clear cut case of "OH SHINY!" I tend to suffer from the same condition!

At the rate you are progressing on the Shinden though you will be done with it before the Nick even comes out!

Edited by lmagna

Lou

Currant builds:

Non ship build log:

1/35th UH-1H Huey

27 minutes ago, lmagna said:

Looks like another clear cut case of "OH SHINY!" I tend to suffer from the same condition!

It's more of a case of: there is not another decent model of the Ki-45 Nick out there aside from the ancient 1:48 scale Nichimo kit that was produced when you and I were kids (or close to it). Quite a surprise to see Zoukei-Mura coughing up the dough to take a roll of the dice on a Ki-45 kit. I think it deserves support from modelers who want subject material that's been unavailable until now. I'm pumped up over the Ki-45, for sure.

Edited by CDW

I got some of the post shading done and wanted to see what kind of photos I could get get by taking them outdoors in natural light. It is cloudy and overcast today, but it's remarkable to me how much better outdoor light enhance color photographs.

I also wanted to check to see if rebooting my modem solved the picture posting issue I'm having.

DSCN2015crop.jpg

DSCN2014crop.jpg

DSCN2011crop.jpg

DSCN2013crop.jpg

Sigh....

Only 4 of the 5 photos uploaded. 😵 1 photo failed to load for reasons unknown, but it's the same problem I've been experiencing all week long, along with other members.

The wonky looking starboard panels over the gun bay and engine bay are being held in place with blue tack for painting purposes. The panels will later be left removed to display guns and engine details. 

awesome job...........very nice paintmanship  ;) 

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

You can set the posting order, CDW.  After uploading, put the mouse in the text box where you want.   Then go down to the thumbnails of the uploaded photos and hit the "+" (lower left hand side) on the photo you want to insert.   Rinse and repeat as needed until all are in the order you want.

Mark

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:

Interesting to see your mix proportions. I had been sticking to a 50/50 Tamiya / levelling thiner when painting the hull on my fishing trawler. However I was not happy with the results and actually reverted to a 40/60 with superior results albeit it takes time to get coverage. I find the levelling thinner to be superior to other products.

Current Builds

Mikasa by I Love Kit - 1:200 - Plastic

HMS Beagle by Occre - 1:48 - Wood

I generally start with a 50-50 mix and adjust from there for best results. I've been using this new Mr Color Procon Boy Platinum airbrush for this build, and a 40-60 mix seemed to work best through it. So far, I like this airbrush a lot. It's good to have another quality airbrush available for a small cost compared to the H&S ones I normally use.

Indeed, Mr Color leveling thinner is the best for color coats, but I find that isopropyl alcohol dries a little faster for me when I mix it for a primer. I guess it's just an old habit more than anything. The Mr Color Acrysion paints seen more akin to enamel to me. Maybe they are a acrylic-enamel hybrid of some sort, but I have only used their leveling thinner with them. 

DSCN1905edit.jpg

Edited by CDW

Yes, I saw your bargain buy a few months back, had a search unfortunately it doesn't seem to be available in Australia.

I use the H&S AL Evolution  - however I would love to have a good quality backup like you. 

The Mr Colour Leveling Thinner is, as far as I am aware, compatible with the Tamiya paints (as well as the Mr Colour of course) - I tend not to use the Tamiya X20A at all.  

I have never heard of the term Acrysion - or maybe this is just a US term - we have the Mr Colour range in Australia (via BNA) which are solvent based acrylics.

Current Builds

Mikasa by I Love Kit - 1:200 - Plastic

HMS Beagle by Occre - 1:48 - Wood