Shipyard hours and exercise

ESF

Since I have been modeling for the past year and a half the admiral has become concerned about my lack of exercise.  I figure I put in 15-20 hours at the shipyard during the week (I still work full time), and 10-12 hours on the weekend.  I used to be an avid cyclist, but the plague of texting while driving has pushed me off the road to the point where I put my beloved hand fabricated road bike up for sale.  It got me wondering what my fellow builders do in shipyard hours per week, and exercise beyond pumping a tweezer.  If anyone feels inclined to share please chime in.  Thanks  

Hi

Interesting!  I put about 15-20 hrs/week. I try not to do any on weekends,but still some times I find my self in the shipyard.

I go jogging 4x40 min/week and thats ok because I do it in 6.5 km/h speed... for my age is more than enough I think... may be a bit too much.

Am 61 and dont work anymore. I used to have a very stressfull life beeing a politician (MP, mayor etc) and now I really enjoy this loose tempo.

Still though I feel very happy, I have a fear if this  -with time- would bring me any mental issues.... 

Anyway thats my thoughts on that.... hope I didnt went beyond the line.

Christos

Good question

I can do as much as 30 hours (or more when having time off), when work permits, to as little as zero when work (or the wifey) takes a hold  of my personal time ... lately I'm glad to hit 10 hours if at all

Cheers

P.s. I don't do distracted driving, I turn my phone off when I drive or ride. There are to many smart(phone) idiots on the road already

5 minutes ago, cog said:

P.s. I don't do distracted driving, I turn my phone off when I drive or ride. There are to many smart(phone) idiots on the road already

I don't either. But then I don't have a "smart" phone;  just a dumb flip phone that only makes and receives phone calls not text messages. ;):o

On 11/27/2018 at 12:03 PM, ESF said:

shipyard hours per week, and exercise

As far as modeling time goes, I’m usually limited to about 20-25 hours or so a week.  However, with my elevator problems lately, I have only been down to the shop a total of about 8 hours in the last 51 days.

As far as exercise goes, that has steadily declined in the last 20 years or so.  As my muscular dystrophy has been progressing I’ve gone thru a progression of different exercise equipment.  I started with a basic treadmill for a few years and then on to a super-duper treadmill that could increase the slope and thus make the sessions more strenuous.  However, after a few falls while working out,:wacko:  my doctor advised me to go to some equipment that I could use while seated. 

So, soon after that I was at an exhibition booth at a State Fair and I picked up a stationary elliptical bike that could also exercise my arms.   It was a model that I could step thru, so that made it easier to get on and off.  It was quite a nice bike that I was able to use even after going into a wheelchair while I was still capable of standing to transfer to it. 

When I became unable to get into it by standing, I became forced to use a transfer board to slide across, but it was impractical to use because the seat was too high..  Unable to use it anymore, I sold it and went to a bike that had a seat low enough to get onto with a transfer board.  Of course my MD continued getting worse and put kept putting more restrictions on what I could do. 

I started going to physical therapy 3 times a week for a few years which helped for a while, but there again the exercises began to wear down my upper body muscles, making it tougher to wheel my manual wheelchair around.  Currently I only do light exercises for short intervals at a time three times a week, but I am still using the manual chair which is a workout in itself for me. (I can still pump my tweezers though!):rolleyes:

Very inspiring Dave. I had a friend with a back injury. Until his last breath he stuck to his chair to keep the muscles going

I forgot the excersise part ... each day either a couple of kilometers on the bike to make the dog loose it's energy at 17:00 and another 20 min walk at 23:00. I used to swim Sunday mornings (back problems) - in an outside swimming pool - but had to find other premisses as it closed for winter recess, so now I do a light triathlon on thursday, Walk and cycle the dog, and swim at least 1 km. Besides that, if work permits, nature walks to keep my photographic prowes into shape