Cannon Jolle 1801 by ccoyle - FINISHED - Master Korabel - 1/72 scale - Swedish gunboat

Thanks, it is a vast archive and I had hoped for a 'short-cut' to the interesting boat. If I find it I will post it.

Bruce

🌻

STAY SAFE

A model shipwright and an amateur historian are heads & tails of the same coin

current builds:

HMS Berwick 1775, 1/192 scratchbuild; a Slade 74 in the Navy Board style

Mediator sloop, 1/48 - an 18th century transport scratchbuild 

French longboat - CAF - 1/48, on hold

• 2 weeks later...

Okay, just a brief update to show that I AM making some progress. I don't get very far because my modeling schedule usually looks something like this:

Day 1: fabricate a part.

Day 2: finish the part that I started on Day 1.

Days 3-5: no activity in ship yard.

Day 6: install the part that I finished on Day 2.

Day 7: no activity in ship yard.

Day 8: repeat Days 1-7 for the same part on other side of the boat.

At least, that's how it went for the knees shown in the attached photo.

Onward!

1426839989_gbconstruction11.thumb.jpg.f3bd0ab343a64c0744fb55229c2f555e.jpg

Chris Coyle
Greer, South Carolina

When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
- Tuco

Current builds: Brigantine Phoenix, Hawker Hurricane

• 4 weeks later...

Found this, good view of deck arrangement.

https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Decked_kanonjolle1.jpg

HTH

Bruce

Decked_kanonjolle1.jpg

🌻

STAY SAFE

current builds:

I have this image saved on my PC for reference; it is, however, not quite the same vessel, differing from the kit version on several points.

Chris Coyle
Greer, South Carolina

- Tuco

After seeing your build I am tempted to get this kit so I have been digging. I am fascinated by the look of these craft and hope to find some reliable accounts of how they were used in action.

Bruce

IOL_46f_chertej.jpg.b5829cdd95f61194cb459c95a1b7b324.jpg

🌻

STAY SAFE

current builds:

Thanks! I feel inspired now to maybe actually finish the model (been sidetracked with some honey-dos for a couple of weeks). That last draft looks more like the kit model.

Chris Coyle
Greer, South Carolina

- Tuco

• 3 weeks later...

Hullo, yes, it's been a while. I was waiting until I had some discernible progress to show. The caprails, knees, and rubbing strakes have been added. Next up is supposed to be installation of the gun, oh boy!

654096464_gbconstruction12.thumb.jpg.9480dbbcfa4d7f8629a7060e43ab85eb.jpg1856378671_gbconstruction13.thumb.jpg.8cfc0c5479d3579b2d0b3b4b72c4b204.jpg

Chris Coyle
Greer, South Carolina

- Tuco

Chris, I like this model. You are doing a great job!
If my list of ships to be built first weren't to long I would add this to it.

Please, visit our Facebook page!

Respectfully

Per aka Dr. Per@Therapy for Shipaholics 
593661798_Keepitreal-small.jpg.f8a2526a43b30479d4c1ffcf8b37175a.jpg

Finished: T37, BB Marie Jeanne - located on a shelf in Sweden, 18th Century Longboat, Winchelsea Capstan

Current: America by Constructo, Solö Ruff, USS Syren by MS, Bluenose by MS

Viking funeral: Harley almost a Harvey

Nautical Research Guild Member - 'Taint a hobby if you gotta hurry

The gun is in and the top straps are in place. After I completed this task, I noticed I hadn't done all the bolt heads on the knees along the hull. **sigh** I hit on a rather easy way to simulate these by using thin slices of styrene rod, but this will be a task for another day. In the meantime, I placed one of the seat covers in the photo; as you can see, the sheet from which that part was taken is very light-colored, so I'm considering the possibility of staining or painting these. Otherwise, to my eye at least, they just stand out too much.

Also, a question for Jim or others who have built this: The instructions call for the gun pit ladders to be installed before rigging the gun tackles, but it seems to me that the ladders would be in way a bit. Should I rig the tackles first?

Cheers!

1987632799_gbconstruction14.thumb.jpg.78c4ae14c9c390fde5380de3d16cd5a5.jpg

Chris Coyle
Greer, South Carolina

- Tuco

10 minutes ago, ccoyle said:

The gun is in and the top straps are in place. After I completed this task, I noticed I hadn't done all the bolt heads on the knees along the hull. **sigh** I hit on a rather easy way to simulate these by using thin slices of styrene rod, but this will be a task for another day. In the meantime, I placed one of the seat covers in the photo; as you can see, the sheet from which that part was taken is very light-colored, so I'm considering the possibility of staining or painting these. Otherwise, to my eye at least, they just stand out too much.

Also, a question for Jim or others who have built this: The instructions call for the gun pit ladders to be installed before rigging the gun tackles, but it seems to me that the ladders would be in way a bit. Should I rig the tackles first?

Cheers!

1987632799_gbconstruction14.thumb.jpg.78c4ae14c9c390fde5380de3d16cd5a5.jpg

Hi chris,    I dont know the ship very well but I would suggest to rig the canon first and put the ladders in after      -  just seems a logical way to do it that way.

OC.

Current builds  

28mm  Battle of Waterloo   attack on La Haye Saint   Diorama.

1/700  HMS Hood   Flyhawk   with  PE, Resin  and Wood Decking.

Completed works.

Dragon 1/700 HMS Edinburgh type 42 batch 3 Destroyer plastic.

HMS Warspite Academy 1/350 plastic kit and wem parts.

HMS Trafalgar Airfix 1/350 submarine  plastic.

Black Pearl  1/72  Revell   with  pirate crew.

Revell  1/48  Mosquito  B IV

Eduard  1/48  Spitfire IX

ICM    1/48   Seafire Mk.III   Special Conversion

1/48  Kinetic  Sea Harrier  FRS1

• 2 months later...

Yes, it has been over two months since I made any progress on this model, but I did make a little in the last few days. It will be hard to tell, though, despite the fact that I have added over 50 parts, because most of those were tiny cleats, eye bolts, and simulated bolt heads. Many more fiddly PE brass parts left to add still. I decided to paint the seat covers flat brown. I'm not certain that such a scheme is historically correct or anything like it, but it looks good to me.

491724167_gbconstruction15.thumb.jpg.212d40f70831f559d8ded0dfb70869d9.jpg

Chris Coyle
Greer, South Carolina

- Tuco

Quarter booms made and installed. Ladder in back of gun pit is not glued in just yet. I made the iron straps for the booms from black cartridge paper -- leftover from a Caldercraft kit, actually. I find the paper easier to work with than the etched brass parts. I also did not care much for the etched eye bolts and have been replacing those with formed wire as I go.

280334269_gbconstruction16.thumb.jpg.9ccefcc9b11885597581be918d0c1ca2.jpg

Chris Coyle
Greer, South Carolina

- Tuco

Some progress with itty-bitty metal bits.

First, oarlocks and eyebolts.

gb1.jpg.7db6abeb03d59b28cf2d8a1f3f08e843.jpg 

Then an anchor (one more of these to go). On the right is an unfinished anchor showing the PE flukes and the tiny prongs upon which they are supposed to be seated. I found this method hugely aggravating to accomplish, what with my tweezers tips slipping and flinging three of the 2 mm wide flukes off into uncharted regions. So instead I sanded off the little prongs with my Dremel tool and a sanding disk, then made replacement flukes from card stock. The resulting anchor is on the left. Since the tiny anchor is black, and the cap rail to which it will be lashed is also black, any irregularities among the flukes will be imperceptible on the finished model.

gb2.jpg.7bae3138e8b516927aae45185b14b2fc.jpg

Chris Coyle
Greer, South Carolina

- Tuco

• 4 weeks later...

I finished another oar yesterday. That makes three now -- only thirteen more to go. In between numbers two and three I had to condense two closets worth of stored "stuff" down to one and move my modeling space to a different room. Whew!!

BTW, did I mention that I really don't like filing/sanding oars from laser-cut sheet stock?

Chris Coyle
Greer, South Carolina

- Tuco

• 1 month later...

***NEWS FLASH!***

Well, I am never the fastest of builders, even in the best of circumstances, but once again my modeling activity has been brought to a screeching, if fortunately temporary, halt. We have three elderly dogs in our household and act as caretakers for another dog (female cavalier King Charles spaniel) that is a breeder. Sooooo -- since our current house requires the furry pack, along with any future puppies, to navigate a flight of stairs to the backyard, the womenfolk decided we needed to move to a house on a flat piece of land. As a result, we are getting a house built just a few miles away, but of course I had to pack up all of my modeling stuff in order to get the current house ready for showing. Now that our house is in escrow, we have 30 days to find a short-term rental, because the new house won't be ready until February. That means, in all likelihood, that modeling will also go on the back burner until February. Oh, well ... such is life. I will get back to it eventually. In the meantime, I expect you all to take up the slack! Keep at it, boys (and girls)!

Chris Coyle
Greer, South Carolina

- Tuco

Chris, take comfort in the fact that you are still in the Beautiful South. Perhaps a bit more time this year to watch the autumn colours?

🌻

STAY SAFE

current builds:

fantastic model Chris......good luck with the house affairs  ;)   I hope you've incorporated a very nice work shop in the plans.

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

Bummer on the problems but good on the house sale.  I'll keep you in my thoughts that everything goes smoothly.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

12 hours ago, bruce d said:

Perhaps a bit more time this year to watch the autumn colours?

Hopefully less time raking and blowing them!

11 hours ago, popeye the sailor said:

I hope you've incorporated a very nice work shop in the plans.

New house has a bonus room. I have staked my claim.

Chris Coyle
Greer, South Carolina

- Tuco

• 6 months later...

UPDATE TIME!! Okay, not a big update, but an update nonetheless. After a forced hiatus for the move, followed finally by the move itself (#38), getting the "man cave" set up, and purchasing a suitable modeling desk, the ship yard is back in action! I sanded an oar down to shape this evening -- only took 40 minutes. Twelve more oars at 40 minutes per oar is ... lessee ... only 8 more hours to complete the oars. 🤪🤪🤪  Still -- it's progress.

Chris Coyle
Greer, South Carolina

- Tuco

Oars are done! As it happens sometimes with repetitive tasks, I hit upon a way to mass-produce the little buggers and finished up the remaining ten yesterday. All told, I only broke one shaft and one handle during the whole set -- those two will go on the bottom of the stack, obviously. Now I can move on to other, hopefully more interesting tasks.

917080412_gbconstruction18.thumb.jpg.20092915f257906c4c01f3c5084a559f.jpg

Chris Coyle
Greer, South Carolina

- Tuco

they look great :)   glad to see your back in the shipyard!

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

• 2 weeks later...

@greenstone or anyone else familiar with this kit,

For the life of me, I can't find the rigging diameter specifications in the instructions or plans. There are three diameters of rigging in the kit, and so far I can only find where the 0.5 mm line is used for lanyards. I'm at the point of wanting to rig the gun tackles, but can't find the line specs. Help!

Chris Coyle
Greer, South Carolina

- Tuco

Great work!

I'll definitely be following this build... I have the same kit arriving in the mail tomorrow.

Thanks for the link to Jim Roger's build and your kit review.

This will be my first MK kit, and from what I've gathered they are real gems...

Bob Cardone

On the bench:

Gunboat Philadelphia Model Shipways 1:24

CSS Palmetto State Verlinden 1:200 

Next up:

USN Picket Boat #1 Model Shipways 1:24

Completed:

F-4 Phantom Hasegawa 1:48

Smilodon Fatalis Unknown manufacturer and scale

Panzer IV 1:32 Unimax/ Forces of Valor prebuilt with mods, diorama

Member of the Nautical Research Guild         

Don't know if you have seen this picture...… however here is a sloop designed by Af Chapman

Kanonslup.JPG

Please, visit our Facebook page!

Respectfully

Per aka Dr. Per@Therapy for Shipaholics 
593661798_Keepitreal-small.jpg.f8a2526a43b30479d4c1ffcf8b37175a.jpg

Finished: T37, BB Marie Jeanne - located on a shelf in Sweden, 18th Century Longboat, Winchelsea Capstan

Current: America by Constructo, Solö Ruff, USS Syren by MS, Bluenose by MS

Viking funeral: Harley almost a Harvey

Nautical Research Guild Member - 'Taint a hobby if you gotta hurry

On 3/29/2020 at 9:21 PM, ccoyle said:

@greenstone or anyone else familiar with this kit,

For the life of me, I can't find the rigging diameter specifications in the instructions or plans. There are three diameters of rigging in the kit, and so far I can only find where the 0.5 mm line is used for lanyards. I'm at the point of wanting to rig the gun tackles, but can't find the line specs. Help!

Here is the corrected rigging table with the column, containing the thread references.

The table has priority over the drawings: if the thread size differs, take it it from the table

http://master-korabel.com/manuals/MK0202_specification_2020_eng.pdf

P.S. If any more errors are found, please do tell.

MK0202_PACKAGE2020_ENG_p10.png

Edited by DPK
Edited on 25/04/2020: minor errors corrected